Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Atrium

Old 08-23-2010, 02:03 AM
A fellow sophisticate

Default Re: Official "FUCK THA POLICE" thread

I expect that he would have been on indefinite but paid suspension had it not been disclosed that he admitted under oath that he had taken part in illegal activities.
The Man (08-24-2010)
Old 08-23-2010, 04:47 AM
What would Hüsker Dü?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingfod View Post
I expect that he would have been on indefinite but paid suspension had it not been disclosed that he admitted under oath that he had taken part in illegal activities.

Maybe so, but there is probably still far more at work here than meets the eye reading a news release.

I wouldn't expect any specific uniformity in treatment for any of these rock stars...not when songs are still left to be sung.
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (08-23-2010), The Man (08-24-2010)
Old 08-23-2010, 10:43 AM
A fellow sophisticate

McFadden is singing like a bird.

A metric buttload of people imprisoned based on their testimony are going to be exonerated, even the ones that are guilty as hell. Good thing, I guess that frees up some prison cells for those asshats.
The Man (08-24-2010)
Old 08-24-2010, 02:14 PM
What would Hüsker Dü?

Two Former Navajo Police Officers in Tuba City, Arizona, Charged with Civil Rights Violations

Police officers have a sworn duty to uphold the Constitution when they wear the uniform. They are held to a higher standard that includes respecting the rights of those in their custody and protecting them from harm,” said U.S. Attorney Burke.

“Whenever a law enforcement officer violates an individual’s civil rights it erodes the public’s trust in those who are sworn to uphold the laws of our country,” said Special Agent in Charge Gray. “Today’s indictment illustrates the commitment by the FBI and the United States Attorney’s Office to hold accountable law enforcement officials who violate this trust.”
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (08-24-2010), The Man (08-27-2010)
Old 08-24-2010, 07:14 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Minneapolis will pay $165,000 to zombies | StarTribune.com

Nobody killed or tazed, but jailed without charges for 2 days for what, exactly?
Quote:
When arrested at the intersection of Hennepin Avenue and 6th Street N., most of them had thick white powder and fake blood on their faces and dark makeup around their eyes. They were walking in a stiff, lurching fashion and carrying four bags of sound equipment to amplify music from an iPod [uh, speakers?~LS] when they were arrested by police who said they were carrying equipment that simulated "weapons of mass destruction."
iPod speakers look like a WMD?
Thanks, from:
lisarea (08-24-2010), Naru (08-24-2010), Nullifidian (08-24-2010), Stormlight (08-26-2010), The Man (08-27-2010)
Old 08-24-2010, 08:10 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

I was assuming they were at least some kind of DIY speakers or something, but I haven't actually seen pictures. Does anyone know?

Remember a few years back when Massachusetts po were blowing up Mooninites and college students and traffic counters? They have a state law that criminalizes "infernal devices," which are described as, basically, something a stupid person might be afraid of, which includes any electronic device that is not in a branded, molded plastic casing. So I am just assuming some similar law or at least mindset in this case.
Thanks, from:
Adam (08-24-2010), Ensign Steve (08-25-2010), LadyShea (08-24-2010), Naru (08-24-2010), Nullifidian (08-24-2010), The Man (08-27-2010)
Old 08-24-2010, 08:11 PM
A fellow sophisticate

In other words, any old BOOMbox?
Old 08-24-2010, 08:35 PM

Who knows, sounds to me like the cops just wanted to bust them for something so made shit up
Quote:
they were arrested by police who said they were carrying equipment that simulated 'weapons of mass destruction.' However, they were never charged with any crime. ...

Police asked for the zombies' identification, and when most said they had none on them, they were told they would be detained. One of the zombies, Jake Sternberg, later testified that police Sgt. E.T. Nelson told the zombies at the police station that he didn't care about their constitutional rights, using two obscenities" Blog: Eric Millikin: Lawsuit settled for $165,000 after police fear invasion of WMD zombies | freep.com | Detroit Free Press
Theatrical makeup and backpacks are intimidating?
Quote:
Police said the group were allegedly carrying bags with wires sticking out, making it look like a bomb, while meandering and dancing to music as part of a "zombie dance party" Saturday night.

"They were arrested for behavior that was suspicious and disturbing," said Lt. Gregory Reinhardt, a police spokesman. Police also said the group was uncooperative and intimidated people with their "ghoulish" makeup.

One group member said the "weapons" were actually backpacks modified to carry a homemade stereos and were jailed without reason. None of the six adults and one juvenile arrested have been charged.

"Given the circumstance of them being uncooperative ... why would you have those (bags) if not to intimidate people?" said Inspector Janee Harteau. "It's not a case of (police) overreacting." 'ZOMBIES' ARRESTED IN DOWNTOWN MINNEAPOLIS *LINK*
Thanks, from:
lisarea (08-24-2010), Nullifidian (08-24-2010), The Man (08-27-2010)
Old 08-24-2010, 09:27 PM
Vice Cobra Assistant Commander

I find theatrical makeup intimidating...it's why I 'm afraid of clowns.

I salute our noble heroes in blue for this one...you give up your so-called Constitutional rights the moment you put the makeup on, freak!
Thanks, from:
Dingfod (08-24-2010), LadyShea (08-24-2010), Naru (08-24-2010), SharonDee (08-25-2010), The Man (08-27-2010)
Old 08-24-2010, 10:32 PM
A fellow sophisticate

Fuck the cops. I'm drunk rightr now, I dare them to do something about it.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:51 PM

ewwww I am telling
Live for the day already here
Thanks, from:
Doctor X (08-25-2010)
Old 08-24-2010, 11:21 PM
A fellow sophisticate

Hey!
Doctor X (08-25-2010)
Old 08-25-2010, 12:19 AM

ok ok Im sorry :( no telling
Live for the day already here
Thanks, from:
Doctor X (08-25-2010)
Old 08-25-2010, 01:06 AM

. . . but I might.

--J.D.
Thanks, from:
teasasue (08-25-2010)
Old 08-25-2010, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
"Given the circumstance of them being uncooperative ... why would you have those (bags) if not to intimidate people?" said Inspector Janee Harteau. "It's not a case of (police) overreacting." 'ZOMBIES' ARRESTED IN DOWNTOWN MINNEAPOLIS *LINK*
I guess there's really not much you can do about it when regular old dingleberries on the street say things like that on their own time,* but that's one of those things that police should be trained to have some discernment about. They should know that wires serve many different functions, and that most homemade or modified electronic devices are not bombs. It's just something you'd imagine they'd run into from time to time, and should have the some basic level of knowledge about, just like, say, marijuana and dogs.

I would hope that, before you send people out with all those weapons and authority, you'd first make sure they were familiar with a reasonable range of things they might encounter while performing their duties, and teach them to respond appropriately.

* If you misunderstand something and freak out, it's best to deflect the embarrassment by accusing the person you accused of committing a 'hoax.'
Thanks, from:
Adam (08-25-2010), LadyShea (08-26-2010), Nullifidian (08-29-2010), The Man (08-27-2010), Watser? (08-25-2010)
Old 08-26-2010, 06:03 AM
What would Hüsker Dü?

New Orleans cops say they got orders authorizing them to shoot looters in the chaos after Hurricane Katrina

"Scott's address to his officers came at a moment of widespread confusion about whether authorities had imposed martial law, a phrase used by then-Mayor Ray Nagin on the radio. In fact, martial law does not exist under Louisiana's Constitution. But experts in police training said the use of those words by politicians and in news reports may have fueled perceptions that the rules had changed."

-------------

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

"Which is better--to have laws and agree, or to hunt and kill?"
Thanks, from:
Adam (08-27-2010), Crumb (08-26-2010), LadyShea (08-26-2010), lisarea (08-26-2010), The Man (08-27-2010)
Old 08-26-2010, 02:06 PM

I DVRd that Frontline, is it good?
Old 08-27-2010, 04:07 PM
What would Hüsker Dü?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
I DVRd that Frontline, is it good?
I haven't seen it yet, LadyShea, and probably won't be very surprised at the fear and panic (aka cowardice) that will be portrayed solemnly to either explain or outright justify fucking horrible crimes against folks in despair.

My family is originally from New Orleans and my Great Uncle Robert Emmet Tracy was the first Bishop of Baton Rouge.

I spent many summers on the streets in the Quarter when I was a kid eating Po Boys at Johnny's on St. Louis and fully know what goes on behind the shield there.

Seeing so much of that early on in my life may actually be part of what I decided to do about it...shit, I don't know, but I'm committed to it.

Now, whenever I need time alone I go back there, have a Guinness at Ryan's and remember all the good ones I've had the privilege to meet along the way.

No matter where we might disagree on social issues, I will always count you and your SO at the top of my list for what you did for us and for the ethical standard you represent.
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (08-27-2010)
Old 08-27-2010, 04:13 PM

I know NOPD has a history of corruption and violence, but I was very impressed at how they handle Mardi Gras (or did when I was there for Mardi Gras in 2003). They were calm and efficient and let all but dangerous shit slide.

Compared to the battle formations in full riot gear of LVMPD on New Year's Eve, NOPD was downright jovial in a similar drunken crowd situation.
Thanks, from:
Dingfod (08-27-2010)
Old 08-27-2010, 05:14 PM
What would Hüsker Dü?

Well, I'll give you that the Big Easy is world renowned for the party no matter your station in life.

:mardigras:

It's what makes the place so hauntingly endearing, contradictory, deeply mysterious and utterly vampiric to human souls.

RIP Ron Williams

Cheers, brother...you didn't stand a chance.
Thanks, from:
The Man (08-30-2010)
Old 08-30-2010, 03:58 PM
Fishy mokey

Quote:
A motorcyclist is facing 16 years in prison on the absurd charge of wiretapping, for posting a video of his arrest he recorded on his helmetcam on YouTube.
Daily Kos: Man faces 16 year sentence for posting YouTube video of his arrest
lisarea (08-30-2010), Nullifidian (08-30-2010), Pan Narrans (08-30-2010), The Man (08-30-2010)
Old 08-30-2010, 06:53 PM
What would Hüsker Dü?

Apparently, Maryland still has that wiretapping statute on the books and, until it is revised/removed, will probably continue to be used in such a manner.

That said, police use video surveillance at public interactions and events all the time.

In-store video has been a completely successful boon to cases of shoplifting, embezzlement and armed robbery leading to convictions.

Most banks and bigger retail businesses require court subpoena's for the video under the pretext that other customers may appear in the frames and they want their liability protection if anything is released to the media (citizen privacy issues).

As posted earlier, Mississippi has no such statute regarding video recording police related encounters.

Now, as for this case, the video shows that he was obviously driving recklessly and putting his life and the lives of others at risk, for which he was cited.

But catching a felony for posting his own irresponsibility on the internet is over the top, imho, and I look for an acquittal or some other reduction/plea/dismissal.

I do wonder how much grief Sgt. Graber will now face regarding his military career.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:29 PM
Just keep m'nose clean, egg, chips & beans, I'm always full of steam

:sockpuppet:...........
Thanks, from:
Adam (08-30-2010), chunksmediocrites (09-13-2010), Demimonde (08-30-2010), Ensign Steve (08-30-2010), erimir (08-30-2010), Kael (08-30-2010), Naru (08-30-2010), Nullifidian (08-30-2010), Pan Narrans (08-31-2010), The Man (08-30-2010), Watser? (08-30-2010), wei yau (08-30-2010)
Old 08-30-2010, 07:38 PM

NYPD investigates circumstances surrounding girl's death | 7online.com

The po seem to be casting some doubt on whether it was NYPD or not, but the parents and the witness say it was, and obviously, the other motorists thought he was, too.

Moral: Don't help the police. A lot of the time, they're doing things you probably wouldn't endorse.
Thanks, from:
Nullifidian (08-30-2010), The Man (08-30-2010), Watser? (08-30-2010)
Old 08-31-2010, 03:50 AM
What would Hüsker Dü?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarea
NYPD investigates circumstances surrounding girl's death | 7online.com

The po seem to be casting some doubt on whether it was NYPD or not, but the parents and the witness say it was, and obviously, the other motorists thought he was, too.
That is just abhorrent, nihilistic behavior from any human being.

One article I read stated that the uniformed man actually followed her to the hospital and then ripped up a ticket when the doctor pronounced Briana dead. Hopefully, there should be video surveillance of that.

According to one statement, Internal Affairs has interviewed all of the officers in the command area and has shown photographs of the police officers in the command to the woman and to witnesses, but none were picked out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarea
Moral: Don't help the police. A lot of the time, they're doing things you probably wouldn't endorse.
I've been told differently many times by the family of loved ones.

12 minute interview

It was good to see Tiara smile and I hope her beautiful daughters grow up strong knowing that their father was a honorable man.

Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Atrium