Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

Default Re: Franchises That Don't Suck

Quiznos: where the wildy things are. Man, I crack myself up. :lol:
Old 09-06-2004, 07:15 PM
go fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevDahlia
From where I'm sitting, the be-all and end-all of chains is Zankou Chicken.
Hey, thanks for the tip, RevDahlia!

I finally remembered to swing by the Van Nuys shop the last time I was 'down below'. I got a whole chicken "To Go". I had eaten out with a friend earlier in the day and wasn't hungry at the time, but that night I had some for a late supper. It was, indeed, awesome!

My parrot enjoyed it, too. Here she is crunching on a wing bone:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FlutterZankou.jpg (49.8 KB, 16 views)
Old 09-09-2004, 07:57 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by livius drusus
My first and loudest props must go to Sonic which just plain rules all around. I love drive-ins, I love a fine cheeseburger, and I worship and adore Cherry Limeaid.
Been there, done that. A few days ago. :)

Had the cheeseburger, fries, minutemaid lemonade (forgot the limeaid part) and a hot fudge sundae. Very good experience all around. I've always thought the closest thing to a "real" burger was Wendy's single, but this one was even moreso. Worth the 30 minute drive? Arguable. But very good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarea
Well, I will forever have a deep and abiding affection for Chipotle, despite the fact that I cannot and will not link to their fucking Flash-requiring website.
Had a Chipotle steak fajita burrito for lunch today, along with chips and guac. Everything was excellent. The chips were the saltiest things I've ever eaten, which is a compliment. The burrito was gigantic, but I managed to stuff the whole thing down my gullet. Yum. :)
Old 09-09-2004, 11:42 PM
Coffin Creep

Corona mentioned Fuddruckers. The crowd I hung out with in high school (oh so many years ago in Raleigh) was rather fond of it. Mostly I remember that the ladle dipped cheese was rather good. Also it was cool knowing that someone wasn't going to mess up your order. You'd have to do that for yourself.

Golden Corral is pretty good, though somewhat pricey for my taste. The lunch buffet usually has enough vegetable choices to keep me happy, plus some good meats. I especially like the bourbon street chicken.

For fast food, I mainly stick to Wendy's, Arby's and Backyard Burgers. Occasionally, I'll go to Hardees. Their food has improved greatly but the local one has very slow service. McDonalds scares me. Someday, I'll get a sample of their 'hamburger' and send it to a forensics lab for analysis.

The people at Wendy's are annoying for interjecting, "Do you want the combo?" and "Supersize it for $...?" randomly while I'm trying to order. Also, the demise of their old chicken sandwich is puzzling, as the new one is no different except the price. (I order mine with ketchup only) Arby's has gotten annoying with endless pushing of combos as well. :glare:
Old 09-10-2004, 01:19 AM
rude, crude, lewd, and unsophisticated

Default The godfry Challenge (was Re: Franchises That Don't Suck)

I have a challenge. Call it "The godfry Challenge".

I have a diet restriction that is fairly difficult to live with. Basically, its low-sodium, about 65 grams of carbohydrates (equal to 2-3 slices of bread, depending), with small portions of protein and fats (10-15 grams each - dressings and vegetable cooking oil accounts for some of this). Red meats and animal fats are minimized. Fried foods forbidden.

Subway actually does fairly well at this, but I'll admit that the flavor suffers as a result, especially when compared to Quizno's and other hoagie/submarine shops. That flavor is often obtained at unacceptable levels of sodium...which is my big hurtle. I shoot for 500 mgs of sodium per meal and allow myself to stretch - a bowl of soup is off the chart.

Fresh vegetables are usually freebies all the way around, but some, like celery, have noticeable sodium counts. And salad dressings, a must in my book, can add mgs of sodium. Fruits are carbohydrates...fructose.

Fun, huh? It's a hypertensive diabetic's diet.

So...Find me a good order at these recommended restaurants....Most burger joints fall out quickly because of high sodium and fat counts. I'd bet that Wendy's baked potato is a contender, though.

Salads are not a way out, unless one also gets bread, potato or pasta with it. Complex carbs are necessary.

godfry
Old 09-11-2004, 05:04 AM
who?

No one has mentioned Rubios?

One summer, I was completely addicted to fish tacos -- no, for those who do not know, it's not a euphemism. Four 99 cent fish tacos a day for 60 days. The main flavors of a Rubio's fish taco are cilantro, lime, and a strange but wonderful white sauce (some derivative of sour cream, I think).

Oh, and lobster burritos. Mm mm mm.
Old 09-21-2004, 10:30 PM
simple country microbiologist hyperchicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake
I'd have to second the vote for Sonic! Always very good! Another place I liked which I found when I was down south was Checkers! Yummy! Sure, a bit greasy, but very tasty!!! :chomp:
checkers rules.

I love their fries.

Plus after eating there you can just hear your arteries clog.

ummmm good eating.
Old 09-21-2004, 11:52 PM

Default Re: The godfry Challenge (was Re: Franchises That Don't Suck)

Quote:
Originally Posted by godfry n. glad
I have a challenge. Call it "The godfry Challenge".

I have a diet restriction that is fairly difficult to live with. Basically, its low-sodium, about 65 grams of carbohydrates (equal to 2-3 slices of bread, depending), with small portions of protein and fats (10-15 grams each - dressings and vegetable cooking oil accounts for some of this). Red meats and animal fats are minimized. Fried foods forbidden.

Subway actually does fairly well at this, but I'll admit that the flavor suffers as a result, especially when compared to Quizno's and other hoagie/submarine shops. That flavor is often obtained at unacceptable levels of sodium...which is my big hurtle. I shoot for 500 mgs of sodium per meal and allow myself to stretch - a bowl of soup is off the chart.

Fresh vegetables are usually freebies all the way around, but some, like celery, have noticeable sodium counts. And salad dressings, a must in my book, can add mgs of sodium. Fruits are carbohydrates...fructose.

Fun, huh? It's a hypertensive diabetic's diet.

So...Find me a good order at these recommended restaurants....Most burger joints fall out quickly because of high sodium and fat counts. I'd bet that Wendy's baked potato is a contender, though.

Salads are not a way out, unless one also gets bread, potato or pasta with it. Complex carbs are necessary.

godfry
godfry,

you have my sympathies, man.

I dont think I could handle the dietary restrictions.
Old 09-22-2004, 12:32 AM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyelzu
Quote:
I'd have to second the vote for Sonic! Always very good! Another place I liked which I found when I was down south was Checkers! Yummy! Sure, a bit greasy, but very tasty!!! :chomp:
checkers rules.

I love their fries.
Um, you guys? Checkers is an auto parts store. Don't eat their "fries."
Old 09-22-2004, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarea
Quote:
Originally Posted by beyelzu
Quote:
checkers rules.

I love their fries.
Um, you guys? Checkers is an auto parts store. Don't eat their "fries."
auto parts store you say.

hm, no wonder their fries are so greasy.
:crazy2:
Old 11-24-2004, 09:10 PM
mostly harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bree
Has anyone eaten at a Macaroni Grille? If so, what's your opinion? Olive Garden makes me cringe (did you know they don't have an oven back there, in the kitchen? - makes you wonder how they cook those breadsticks) and if Macaroni Grille is similar I don't want to even set foot in the door.
Eaten at both, like both. Although I like the option to create your own pasta at Macaroni Grille. It's what I've done every time I've been.

I had a co-worker once who used to go to Olive Garden and fill up on salad and breadsticks and then take the entree he ordered home. Two meals for the price of one!

Old 11-24-2004, 09:44 PM
God Made Me A Skeptic

I am actually fairly fond of Wendy's. Spicy Chicken plain. Just the spicy chicken on a bun. Mmm.

Let's see. Outback Steakhouse is good, as long as you don't expect them to be in any way related to Australia. Ruby Tuesday has my favorite burger ever. Smokehouse burger, medium, swiss instead of cheddar, only mustard. MMmm.

For "small" chains, we have Italian Pie Shoppe (3 or 4 locations, all in the Twin Cities). Also quite good.

I have not been particularly fond of TGIF or Applebee's. Chili's is okay, and at least they're willing to serve actually spicy food if you ask.
Save me / and when you see me strut / remind me of what left this outlaw torn
Old 12-16-2004, 07:44 PM
Admin

I really like The Corner Bakery. Great soups, breakfasts, sandwiches, etc.

However I'm really bumping this thread to reiterate my newfound affection for Chipotle. I've been there numerous times since this thread began (including today) and they really do have awesome burritos. :yup:
Old 12-17-2004, 01:35 AM
A fellow sophisticate

Atomic Burrito makes burritos made to order, beef, chicken or veggie, your choice. Mmmm, good and filling.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:09 AM
Admin

I recently discovered the nearby Royal Chopstix, which serves up some damn good American-Chinese food in record time and at very reasonable prices. In other words, I can call them and order two entrees and soup (apprx. $15), then immediately leave the house and the food will be ready when I get there in 5 minutes.

I also recently found out that there's a Sonic about 1/3 of the distance from the last one I went to. It must be new, because it didn't show up last time I went looking. I'll have to go back and give them another try soon.

Also, Texas has a place called Whataburger that's supposed to be a decent fast food joint. I highly doubt it's on par with In-N-Out, but I'll give it a shot and report back as soon as I can.
Old 03-29-2005, 03:41 AM
select custom_user_title from user_info where username='Goliath';

I enjoy the HuHot Mongolian Grill. Not too unreasonably priced (about $16...more if you want dessert), and there's a really big variety of stuff to choose from. There's always chicken, pork, and beef and duck, and at least a few seafood items including krab, shrimp, mahi-mahi, pollock, and salmon. There's also a huge variety of vegetables and a lot of sauces for a lot of different combinations.

However, if you do go to one of these, a word of advice: they'll ask you if you want soup or salad...just decline and go for the buffet line (unless you're a major fan of hot & sour or egg drop soup..not really my thing..oh, and the salad is horrible). Another disadvantage is that, in my experience, the place is usually packed, so the lines can be somewhat long. So, don't go to HuHot if you want a quick meal (unless you show up at 3:00pm--4:00pm or something...then lines will probably be short for awhile).
Old 03-29-2005, 05:30 AM
go fish

On the pricey side, I would recommend Roys if you have one in your area. I took my sister and my niece for dinner to celebrate my sister's birthday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roys website
Fresh ingredients, assertive flavors, deliciously wrapped in a Hawaiian state of mind
It is Hawaiian fusion cuisine. Only about 1/4 of the menu is constant; they set and print a new menu every day based on ingredients and chef's choice. Everything about the meal was excellent: service, ambience, food. Which was amazing when I found out the restaurant in the Valley had only just opened 3 weeks prior to our visit!
Old 03-30-2005, 01:55 AM
A fellow sophisticate

Taco Bueno beats the beans out of Taco Bell.

Not too long ago, I found out Atomic Burrito that I mentioned before was started by the guys that started Chi-Chi's, which I thought was a pretty good chain of Mexican restaurants.

Started about the time I moved here in 2000, a local chain, Mexico Lindo, is better by far than all the others. Then again, everyone working in Mexico Lindo is Mexican. I think they might be violating some EEO regulations of some kind.
Old 03-30-2005, 02:09 AM
Adequately Crumbulent

Baja Fresh: Some yummy Mexican food, not too expensive either. Kind of a fast foodish atmosphere though, but you can get your burritos and tacos to go. With yummy Baja salsa and tortilla chips. Mmm.
Old 03-30-2005, 04:33 AM
Admin

Baja Fresh is good, and we have one nearby. Lauri and I went to On the Border when she was in town, and they made us fresh guac at our table. That was cool and the food was good.
Old 03-30-2005, 01:10 PM
A fellow sophisticate

On The Border? They suck here in T-town.

The above opinion runs contrary to the evidence of an always full parking lot. I apparently have different taste than the mainstream.
Old 03-30-2005, 03:26 PM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

I hate On The Border too. They have a relationship with cilantro which can only be described as pathological.
Old 03-30-2005, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livius drusus
I hate On The Border too. They have a relationship with cilantro which can only be described as pathological.
Moonbase to liv....Moonbase to liv...Come in, liv....

People who don't like cilantro should not set foot (or any other part or parcel of their body) inside ANY Mexican restaurant.

Get a little reality, girl.
Old 03-30-2005, 03:56 PM
Admin

Hey I didn't say it was the best thing since sliced bread, just that it was decent and the fresh guacamole made at my table was a cool feature. I'd take a real Mexican restaurant over any chain any day. That's one of the things I miss about Southern California, actually. I haven't really found any authentic Mexican restaurants near here.
Old 03-30-2005, 04:53 PM

They don't have any authentic Mexican restaurants in Dallas, Taxes?

What is wrong with this picture?

Isn't Taxes the home of Tex-Mex? Aren't there any "Mexican" parts of town? With real live Mexican-owned, Mexican-run Mexican restaurants?

Hell, I live here where we are over a thousand miles from the Mexican border and I can get superlative burritos (each one which makes an entire meal) for about 3 bucks from a restaurant where most of the staff speaks very broken English (La Sirenita - the best, in my humble non-SoCal background). Really, really good and entirely authentic Mexican food. We even have roving Tres Hermanos vans that served up decent burritos from parking lots throughout the area. Bonified authentic Mexican.

You'd think Dallas was located in Newfoundland or something, the way you talk.

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > Food & Drink