Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-24-2014, 06:25 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

Default Re: What are we watching this Fall, y'all?

I don't know how attached you should get to it anyway.

Quote:
he freshman season of NBC drama Constantine will consist of 13 episodes. The cast and crew of the series were informed on Friday that the series will halt production after completing production on the initial 13-episode order. Constantine will remain in its 10 PM Friday time slot for the remainder of its run.

Constantine, executive produced by Daniel Cerone and David Goyer, has not been a breakout the way fellow NBC Friday genre drama Grimm was in its debut. But NBC brass were probably encouraged by the freshman’s +38% week-to-week ratings jump for Episode 5 this Friday, hours after the decision was made to halt production. It was the show’s highest mark since the series debut, and by far its best retention of the Grimm lead-in, also since the series debut. Additionally, Constantine, based on the DC property, has a strong fan base because of its comic origins and has seen big DVR lifts, most recently rising +81% in Live+3 for Episode 4, regarded by fans as a possible creative turning point in the series.
I'm probably unfairly comparing it to more mature urban fantasy shows (Supernatural, mostly). I think it's doing okay for its first few episodes. Some world building, figuring out who these versions of the characters operate and all that. Even though they're sprinkling in some of the Coming Darkness™ in there, I think it should either disappear or come more full to the front. I say "disappear" but I mean it shouldn't be talked about until later in the run that all of these events, though different and disparate, are actually connected to a larger thing. So far, besides putting them all under an umbrella they've failed to actually connect them.

Contrast to Grimm, the show that leads into Constantine, which was a lot cheesy and a little hoakey to begin with got a lot better. The key is that it was given space and time to improve, and right now it looks like there's a lot of the bad kind of pressure on Constantine to get it right or else.

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature