Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-26-2017, 05:21 AM
here to bore you with pictures

Default The March for Science rejected these "suggestions".

Taken from Ophelia Benson's site. (I know, she's got some issues, but I still read her.) A Facebook Group, Women of Color Speak Out, posted this open letter in regards to the Seattle March for Science:

https://www.facebook.com/wocspeakout...56894964538985

The list of "suggestions" - demands, really - were rejected by the March for Science organizers. I felt like commenting on some of them.

Quote:
4. In their values they say "Science is the BEST method for understanding the world". This will greatly offend Indigenous communities, POC, and faith communities. This divisive messaging should be muted to "Science is an EXCELLENT method to understand the world".
Nope. In fact, the whole point of the march is that science is really the best tool we have for determining the truth and understanding the world. Offending the "faith community" happens because the "faith community" thinks it has some sort of monopoly on the truth, even when their truth is denied by the evidence.

Quote:
6. There must be Indigenous women who are grassroots activists on the march steering committee, as well as WOC and other POC such as Queer and Trans POC.
7. Their paid organizer for the March must be a POC from the grassroots racial justice community, NOT a white person or a colonized POC who is trained to obey the system.
8. For the March they must include invitations to all communities, including Queer and Trans communities, POC communities, Faith communities, Labor communities, Young people and Children.
I don't really see a problem with these demands, although I don't know why Labor is in there.

Is "colonized POC" a real concept? It's used more than once here.

Quote:
9. They must include messaging that exposes Animal Agriculture's destructive effects on the environment and the climate and advocates plant-based organic food for ALL.
Don't get your food woo mixed up with science.

Quote:
15. They must demand investment into research on types of healing and healthcare that are NOT based on pharmaceutical drugs.
If that's where the evidence leads, otherwise, this is just the naturalistic fallacy.

Quote:
17. NO nuclear power. This is non-negotiable.
18. No GMOs. This is non-negotiable. They must demand massive investment in organic, non-GMO food forests, permaculture, and urban farming.
These are political opinions, not necessarily evidence based.

I don't blame the March for Science organizers for basically rejecting this. There's too much anti-science in this letter to be taken seriously.

I also wonder if this open letter represents a small group of people who happened to post this on Facebook. Is it worth even the attention I've given it?
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (04-27-2017), Ari (04-26-2017), Crumb (04-26-2017), Dragar (04-29-2017), JoeP (04-26-2017), Kamilah Hauptmann (04-26-2017), Pan Narrans (04-26-2017), ShottleBop (04-26-2017), Stormlight (04-26-2017), The Man (04-26-2017)

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law