Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Computers & Technology

Old 02-24-2012, 12:50 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Default Re: Pinterest, ladysplained.

LOL On the front page of "cars and motorcycles" is a shirtless young man and the Pinner's board is titled "Cute Boys"

That'll run the men off
Old 02-24-2012, 02:51 PM
California Sober

Okay, this is getting ridiculous. Scared of seeing a cross-stitch? Man the fuck up!

Because I'm so proud of him, I'm going to show off to y'all the profile of the manboy from my gym and his awesome use of the Pinterest: Jason R

He has a LEGO board for fuck's sake! :squee:

You know what I think it is? I think maybe it's because he (and probably some other men) is not that deep into the tech nerd thing, so he's not on reddit and gizmodo all day, so he doesn't know that he is supposed to be afraid of the Pinterest cooties. Rather, these men are on the facebook, with the women, and they are attracted to this new format, because it's a cool format. Maybe it attracts people, men and women, who are more visual, arty, stylish, and social, and not so deep into the tech nerd neckbeard thing.
Demimonde (02-24-2012), LadyShea (02-24-2012)
Old 02-24-2012, 03:28 PM
the internet says I'm right

I think I'll start painting miniatures again and posting them on Pinterest.
Thanks, from:
Demimonde (02-24-2012), Ensign Steve (02-24-2012), LadyShea (02-24-2012), lisarea (02-24-2012), Ymir's blood (02-24-2012)
Old 02-24-2012, 03:39 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

I don't think it's really a tech nerd thing. Reddit is pretty much a social forum, and for the most part, they don't seem all that technical; and Gizmodo is a shopping blog that's largely pictures of things. They may well be nerds, but they don't strike me as being all that interested in technology beyond just buying consumer electronics, maybe.

I think what it is is that if you go on there without knowing anyone, you're just seeing this nonsensical front page of crap other people pinned right now. It'd be like living on reddit/new or whatever.

I was not liking the generic front page of Pinterest either. It's much better when you have a few people on there you know and who have similar interests. People who spend a lot of time at Reddit or Gizmodo would love Pinterest if they joined up together and pinned pictures of memes and electronics for each other.

Or they would, rather, if they just got their damned cootie shots.
Thanks, from:
Demimonde (02-24-2012), Ensign Steve (02-24-2012), LadyShea (02-24-2012)
Old 02-24-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kael View Post
I think I'll start painting miniatures again and posting them on Pinterest.
I'd follow the shit out of that
Thanks, from:
Demimonde (02-24-2012)
Old 02-24-2012, 07:01 PM
an angry unicorn or a non-murdering leprechaun

That would be awesome Kael! I have a board for miniatures so I am prepared to repin the crap out of your stuff.

When I first joined there was hardly anything on that interest. Just in the last week though it has exploded with content.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:25 PM
Coffin Creep

The Pringles can tower interests me. It looks like a lot of the wargaming terrain from old Games Workshop books. I'd be interested in knowing what the balcony is made of or was taken from.
Demimonde (02-24-2012), LadyShea (02-25-2012)
Old 02-24-2012, 11:33 PM

If you click on the picture, the link for the original is embedded. In this case, to Brandlin, a British company. That is actually a pre-made kit made of poly styrene they sell to mod the can. I just now noticed that they do specialize in war game terrain.

I loved the idea though, and am pretty sure I could get pretty good results with hobby shop stuff. As I start gathering materials for my 1/24 dollhouse, I plan on building that as a Rapunzel tower for practice.

I would have thought you would have been more intrigued by Thomas Doyle, :giggle:

Crumb (02-24-2012), freemonkey (02-28-2012), Janet (02-25-2012), lisarea (02-25-2012), Qingdai (02-24-2012), Ymir's blood (02-24-2012)
Old 02-24-2012, 11:46 PM
Coffin Creep

Ok. I've seen parts like that before.

I was thinking it was scratch built. The timbering for the tower could be made from cut up cereal boxes, for instance. Years ago, I made a bunch of crude 'native' huts for use in gaming out of Pringles can. The doors were made out of card, cut in strips and the glued on to the can to look like wooden planks.

I looked at the other too. It actually reminded me of a diorama I made for pesci years ago. It was basically two pirates facing each other over a hole, with one pirate's foot on a treasure chest. Now they've found the treasure, but will they share it?
Demimonde (02-24-2012), Ensign Steve (02-25-2012), LadyShea (02-25-2012), lisarea (02-25-2012)
Old 02-25-2012, 12:26 AM

I am excited to try it. I think working in the round will be a fun challenge; since many balsa components you see are straight, I will have to come up with more flexible materials. I really prefer using outside the box materials rather than off the shelf stuff in general.

I also have never tried to do anything architectural. All of my earlier miniature forays have been figural or decorative. I did do set design for the stage many years ago, but my usual process was just to draft it and build it full scale. I can only recall doing one model, which was for an assignment in college. It was just a concept exercise for sight-lines and didn't involve any detail or fun stuff though.

Your diorama sounds awesome. I love miniature scenes that tell a story or have some kind of narrative component, especially a mystery or spaces in which the viewer has to fill in the blanks.

The dollhouse museum in Kentucky has a ten room house in which a nanny is occupied with a toddler in the yard. Inside there is a chain of mayhem running from the kitchen with an abandoned meal, through the house with tiny chair forts, broken objects, funny tiny hand prints on the walls, all culminating in a small boy happily painting a Persian cat with finger paints in a pristine white bedroom upstairs. I used to have a photo set of it, but maybe it is on the other computer.

On the other end of the spectrum is Frances Glessner Lee's forensic room boxes. In the 1940's she made crime scenes in miniature to train investigators. I am dying to get my mitts on her biography. It isn't easy to come by though.
LadyShea (02-25-2012), Ymir's blood (02-25-2012)
Old 02-25-2012, 06:12 AM
California Sober

Oh, also, I think you guys should know that the word "Pinterest" looks similar to the name of my elementary school Pinecrest, whose crest always looked to me like a scary muppet clown face with a Christmas tree for a nose and still does.
Ymir's blood (02-25-2012)
Old 02-25-2012, 07:45 AM
California Sober

lol, sports

Pinsanity: How Sports Teams Are Winning on Pinterest
LadyShea (02-25-2012)
Old 02-25-2012, 01:27 PM

Glurge that made me want to punch people. Not sure why, maybe it was the self reference as a "creative personality". Anyway, maybe others can share in the throwing up in their mouth a little

Positively Splendid {Crafts, Sewing, Recipes and Home Decor}: A Guide to Proper Pintiquette {Pinterest Tips & Tricks}
Thanks, from:
Demimonde (02-25-2012), Qingdai (02-25-2012)
Old 02-25-2012, 04:26 PM
Bizarre unknowable space alien

The library started our Pinterest account yesterday, pinterest.com/fplibrary/ but it's a bit rudimentary at the moment. I haven't pinned anything yet since all my current off-desk time is taking up by shifting CDs because we've run out of room. I did ask for the Elected Officials board to be put in and I'll work on it next week.
"freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order."
- Justice Robert Jackson, West Virginia State Board of Ed. v. Barnette
Thanks, from:
Demimonde (02-25-2012), LadyShea (02-25-2012), Qingdai (02-25-2012)
Old 02-25-2012, 06:27 PM

Love that blog post Shea. It puts everything really clearly so even the less web savvy will understand. I am going to share that like crazy.

It also made me realize I need to work more on my descriptions. I never thought of making them searchable. I sometimes even just leave it blank by hitting the space bar. I will stop doing that.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:45 PM

LOL, I don't like that blogger's personality at all though.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:15 PM
The cat that will listen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demimonde View Post
If I read one more description in which someone exclaims about a "Pop of color" I shall scream. Yes, pictures have color. Things have color. Try to dig a little deeper.

Also what is with the "x, x, x!" construction? I was looking at cupcakes earlier and every post had "cupcakes, cupcakes, cupcakes!" as a description with different authors. I thought it was a :pinkiepie: reference until I searched for boots. "Boots, boots, boots!" Then "Nails, nails, nails!"
LOL, these are what my descriptions sound like! Although I am going to have to start with the multiples. Quilts, quilts, quilts!
Thanks, from:
Demimonde (02-26-2012), Qingdai (02-27-2012)
Old 02-27-2012, 05:02 AM
California Sober

Okay, weird. I made a square crochet, and I uploaded it to a pin to show you all, and it's unfinished and full of errors, and it's already been repinned like three times by people I don't know and they didn't change the description. So random!
Demimonde (02-27-2012), lisarea (02-27-2012)
Old 02-27-2012, 05:12 AM

I just saw that, :giggle:, that is strange!

I heard someone compare pinterest to hoarding the other day, maybe it is that they are so eager to fill up a craft board with things they will never do that they did not bother to recognize that it was an work in progress and not a pattern? Or maybe they are beginners too and saw your work as an inspirational thing to motivate them that didn't have a facile statement attributed to a dead celebrity, so they pinned it to help remind them to keep at it? Or maybe they are posers who want their friends and followers to think they are making progress like you and are just lazy? Or maybe one of each? :chin:
Ensign Steve (02-27-2012), lisarea (02-27-2012)
Old 02-27-2012, 05:17 AM
California Sober

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demimonde View Post
I heard someone compare pinterest to hoarding the other day
I believe it. One of the first people I followed was a facebook friend from weight watchers and every time I pulled up the app on my phone I would have to scroll through 100 photos of tropical birds or Reese Witherspoon or whatever the hell kick he was on that day. After about half a week I unfollowed him because it was killing my feed.

Here, point and laugh at this guy look at these boards and see what I mean.
Demimonde (02-27-2012), Qingdai (02-27-2012)
Old 02-27-2012, 05:32 AM

Holy moly, what a magpie! I don't think I have ever seen anyone with that many boards. :stunned:

At least they are very well organized. Whenever someone starts following one of mine, I always look to see if I can follow one of theirs. Some people have just miscellany boards out the wazoo, or five boards that are all variation of WANT with names that don't make any sense like "Gotta have this," "Gimme," "I LOVE THIS," etc.

I have never seen anyone with so many individual interests though. Some of them I don't get the point of, (70's and 80's TV?) but I guess lots of folks are digging him. He has over 4,000 followers, but I imagine the majority must only follow a couple of his boards. Because seriously, that is overload.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:12 AM

Actually, that is reminding me of something I wanted to write about. In articles I have read, pinners are getting the reputation of people who are getting off on ideas they will never try and objects they will never own. That attitude I have been kinda absorbing, and I need to stop it. Because that is not what it is about.

I found this article Pinterest vs Facebook: the Aspirational versus the Mundane which gave me pause. The idea of social media as aspirational never occurred to me. Blogs have always been both informational and confessional. A blogger must have experience within their subject in order to be perceived as legitimate, even if their subject is nothing deeper than themselves. Facebook is a minimized version of that. People life stream status updates or may share a link to news, entertainment, or self promote themselves socially, creatively, or professionally- but at its core it is still based on the individual's actual life experiences. Which, yeah, for most people is really freaking boring.

Pinterest is tapping into something completely different. It is not confessional, not experiential, but instead based in the realm of desire. Ideas I want to try, stuff I would like to have, things that are aesthetically pleasing to me. There is some really interesting implications to that, both as a user and in terms of marketing.

First I will admit that I fought against the urge to pin everything I saw and liked. I told myself I would only pin that which I actually planned to use, or would somehow be useful info for me to have or to share with someone else. I resisted the urge to start a board on clocks, because while I love them, it isn't as though I have a collection or anything. I spent half an hour looking at beautifully crafted cupcakes, loving every minute, toyed with the idea of making a board, but decided not to. Because I am not a baker and I have only made cupcakes half a dozen times in my life. But you know what? I like cupcakes. I kinda want to make cupcakes, and instead of continually labeling myself as "not-a-baker" maybe I just need to make some freaking cupcakes. So instead I subscribed to a few boards with pins I admired. It is a step anyway.

A similar thing happened with my nails. I have always loved manicuring my nails but always stuck to boring white tips and nudes and neutrals. I am now totally finding tons of awesome ideas for an interest I didn't even know I had: nail art. I have always taken pride in my nails, but now I want to be creative and expressive with them. All of this means that I must go out and get stuff, products I would not have necessarily bought. But it also gives me a new enjoyment in something I have never enjoyed before. That is a win-win.

This is also going to get me to uncork an interest I totally have which I don't ever tell anybody about, ever. Not in life, not online, even in anonymous internet. I see all the pinners with "Dream House" boards. As a kid I didn't play house, I played farm. I have always dreamed about having my own sustainable piece of land and I subscribe to and read a lot of material on the homesteading culture online every week. I even use my dream farm as my relaxation happy place, when winding down before going to sleep. But even though I have a wealth of material and knowlege on homesteading, I would never ever have made a blog about it because I lacked any experience that would make me a legitimate authority. I would never have facebooked about it, because that is not my lifestyle and the people who know me would be all "WTH City girl?" While I lurk on boards, I would never contribute to the discussion because I would feel like a liar and a phoney.

I was hesitant to start that board because I was afraid of those kinds of reactions, but I realize that I was looking at it the wrong way. Pinterest is a place for aspiration. It is a place inhabited by desires. A place to enjoy and share your interests, to find new passions, and yes, even to dream. Someone who actually is living that life, but without my computer skills could benefit from following my stream. I might make connections with people I wouldn't have known otherwise who have that same interest and shared values that I have. And most of all, in going public, I might learn something about my secret desire, what it says about me, and what I want to do in my life. And while I may be many years away from my idyllic dream farm, there are urban homesteading things I can do. Maybe seeing my aspirations out there will put me a step closer to realizing them.

Last edited by Demimonde; 02-27-2012 at 06:26 AM.
Thanks, from:
Crumb (02-28-2012), Ensign Steve (02-27-2012), Janet (02-29-2012), LadyShea (02-27-2012), lisarea (02-27-2012), livius drusus (02-27-2012), SharonDee (02-27-2012), Ymir's blood (02-27-2012)
Old 02-27-2012, 01:10 PM

You can follow individual boards rather than the whole person. Like one lady, I don't want to follow her bazillion wedding boards...one for dresses one for veils one for center pieces one for cakes one for flowers....gah!
Old 02-27-2012, 03:35 PM

Demi, dude. Whole new perspective. Thank you.
Thanks, from:
Demimonde (02-27-2012)
Old 02-27-2012, 06:02 PM
Dogehlaugher -Scrutari

I don't know if it's a bug or it was part of the initial set up, but I was "following" a bunch of pinners I didn't know. They were showing up in my more personalized board list.

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Computers & Technology