Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature

Old 01-12-2020, 12:10 AM
Did nothing but lick toilet paper

Default Re: BREAKING: Sometimes Famous People Die

Neil Peart was all of 6 years older than I am now. I first saw Rush at a hole-in-the-wall club in Youngstown, OH shortly after Caress of Steel came out. Back in those days, the sign of true fandom was recognizing the name John Rutsy.

They played that shithole club at least twice after they'd gotten way too big for it. A lot of us appreciated the hell out of that. Found a setlist online, though I certainly can't vouch for its accuracy after all these years.

The Man is absolutely right about Peart the lyricist. That shit hold up really well. Listened to the title track to A Farewell to Kings earlier today, and it gave me chills. Here's a personal favorite from what The Man described as Peart's brief Ayn Rand phase:

"Psychos don't explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ~ S. Gecko

"What the fuck is a German muffin?" ~ R. Swanson
Thanks, from:
ceptimus (01-12-2020), lisarea (01-12-2020), slimshady2357 (01-12-2020), Sock Puppet (01-13-2020), SR71 (01-13-2020), The Man (01-12-2020)
Old 01-13-2020, 06:07 PM
Turkey Soviet agent, ominous or flat-bottomed

I'm still processing it myself. Peart was a huge inspiration to me at a tender age, reassuring me via his lyrics and other writing (I cherished the few bits of prose he allowed out into the public sphere, and reread them countless times) that I could have more of an intellectual life than most of the other teenage fuckwits around me, without being a completely hopeless freak. I've never written a fan letter to anyone, but if I had written one, it would have been to him.

Here's a letter to the editor he wrote in 1981, responding to the accusations of Satanism that whirled around several hard-rock acts at the time, including Rush. Some punctuation is missing - errors introduced from the transcript, as Neil didn't allow a single error in the original. If you don't believe that, ask his Mom!
BrotherMan (01-13-2020), Kamilah Hauptmann (01-13-2020), Kyuss Apollo (Yesterday), slimshady2357 (01-13-2020), Stephen Maturin (01-13-2020), The Man (01-13-2020)
Old 01-13-2020, 06:53 PM
Did nothing but lick toilet paper

Nowadays, Donna Halper is a communications professor at a college in Massachusetts, but in the mid 1970s she was a DJ and music director at the 55,000-watt album rock radio station WMMS in Cleveland, OH. Someone gave her a copy of Rush's obscure first album and she played the hell out of it on her show. The listeners loved it, and other DJs at WMMS followed suit. She also helped the band get their first American record deal, and struck up a long-standing friendship with Neil Peart and the rest of the band. Her tribute is available here.

"Psychos don't explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ~ S. Gecko

"What the fuck is a German muffin?" ~ R. Swanson
Thanks, from:
Ari (01-13-2020), BrotherMan (01-13-2020), JoeP (01-13-2020), Kamilah Hauptmann (01-13-2020), slimshady2357 (01-13-2020), Sock Puppet (01-13-2020), SR71 (01-13-2020), The Man (01-13-2020)
Old 01-17-2020, 04:54 AM
happy now, Mussolini?

'First Middle-earth scholar' Christopher Tolkien Dies at 95

Quote:
Christopher Tolkien was born in Leeds, and grew up in Oxford.

After serving in the RAF during World War Two he became a lecturer in Old and Middle English and Old Icelandic at Oxford University.

He drew the original maps of Middle-earth seen in The Lord of the Rings books released in the 1950s.

He later became the literary executor of the Tolkien Estate, completing several books set in the world of Middle-earth using his father's material from 70 boxes of unpublished work.

Tolkien Society chairman Shaun Gunner said: "Christopher's commitment to his father's works has seen dozens of publications released... we have lost a titan and he will be sorely missed."

Dr Fimi said: "From editing The Silmarillion to the mammoth task of giving us The History Of Middle-earth series, he revealed his father's grand vision of a rich and complex mythology.

Map of Middle-earth drawn by Christopher Tolkien.

Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (01-17-2020), Crumb (01-18-2020), fragment (01-17-2020), JoeP (01-17-2020), Limoncello (01-17-2020), Pan Narrans (01-18-2020), slimshady2357 (01-17-2020), Sock Puppet (01-17-2020), Spacemonkey (Today), Stephen Maturin (01-17-2020), The Lone Ranger (01-21-2020), The Man (01-17-2020)
Old 01-18-2020, 04:05 AM
I'm a regular Victor Victoria

Rocky Johnson, Canadian-born wrestling star and father of 'The Rock', dead at 75

:BC: :canada:
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (01-18-2020), Crumb (01-18-2020), JoeP (01-18-2020), The Man (01-18-2020)
Old Yesterday, 01:51 PM
YELLOW HAIR FAKE ANIMAL
FLOOFIN CHONKO

Monty Python star Terry Jones dies aged 77 - BBC News

:deepsigh:

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:       :eur:       :m&ms::m&ms::twix::twix: (rotated 180°):m&ms::m&ms:
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (Yesterday), ceptimus (Yesterday), Crumb (Yesterday), Ensign Steve (Yesterday), fragment (Yesterday), Kamilah Hauptmann (Yesterday), Kyuss Apollo (Yesterday), lisarea (Yesterday), Miisa (Yesterday), slimshady2357 (Yesterday), Sock Puppet (Yesterday), Spacemonkey (Today), Stephen Maturin (Yesterday), The Lone Ranger (Yesterday), The Man (Yesterday), vremya (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 02:22 PM
YELLOW HAIR FAKE ANIMAL
FLOOFIN CHONKO

No no he's not dead, he's, he's restin'!

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:       :eur:       :m&ms::m&ms::twix::twix: (rotated 180°):m&ms::m&ms:
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (Yesterday), Crumb (Yesterday), Ensign Steve (Yesterday), fragment (Yesterday), Kamilah Hauptmann (Yesterday), Kyuss Apollo (Yesterday), lisarea (Yesterday), slimshady2357 (Yesterday), Sock Puppet (Yesterday), Stephen Maturin (Yesterday), The Lone Ranger (Yesterday), The Man (Yesterday), vremya (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 03:52 PM
Consummate snowball artist

Gutted by that. :sadcheer::tear:
BrotherMan (Yesterday), Crumb (Yesterday), Ensign Steve (Yesterday), JoeP (Yesterday), Sock Puppet (Yesterday), Stephen Maturin (Yesterday), The Man (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 08:15 PM
Crumb 2.7 is now available!

:ni:
BrotherMan (Today), Ensign Steve (Yesterday), The Man (Yesterday)

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature