Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature

Old 11-24-2014, 06:25 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

Default Re: What are we watching this Fall, y'all?

I don't know how attached you should get to it anyway.

Quote:
he freshman season of NBC drama Constantine will consist of 13 episodes. The cast and crew of the series were informed on Friday that the series will halt production after completing production on the initial 13-episode order. Constantine will remain in its 10 PM Friday time slot for the remainder of its run.

Constantine, executive produced by Daniel Cerone and David Goyer, has not been a breakout the way fellow NBC Friday genre drama Grimm was in its debut. But NBC brass were probably encouraged by the freshman’s +38% week-to-week ratings jump for Episode 5 this Friday, hours after the decision was made to halt production. It was the show’s highest mark since the series debut, and by far its best retention of the Grimm lead-in, also since the series debut. Additionally, Constantine, based on the DC property, has a strong fan base because of its comic origins and has seen big DVR lifts, most recently rising +81% in Live+3 for Episode 4, regarded by fans as a possible creative turning point in the series.
I'm probably unfairly comparing it to more mature urban fantasy shows (Supernatural, mostly). I think it's doing okay for its first few episodes. Some world building, figuring out who these versions of the characters operate and all that. Even though they're sprinkling in some of the Coming Darkness™ in there, I think it should either disappear or come more full to the front. I say "disappear" but I mean it shouldn't be talked about until later in the run that all of these events, though different and disparate, are actually connected to a larger thing. So far, besides putting them all under an umbrella they've failed to actually connect them.

Contrast to Grimm, the show that leads into Constantine, which was a lot cheesy and a little hoakey to begin with got a lot better. The key is that it was given space and time to improve, and right now it looks like there's a lot of the bad kind of pressure on Constantine to get it right or else.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:50 PM
Bizarre unknowable space alien

This week was the first time it didn't hold my interest enough to keep me in the room. I was in and out and missed bits. One complaint I keep hearing is that it's too light and Constantine's coat is too clean. Also, the scares aren't really creepy enough, not like the pilot. They will need to commit to being scarier if they want it to work as a horror show. If they want it to work as a comic book adaptation then they need to give us readers what we really want, which is a Swamp Thing cameo.
"freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order."
- Justice Robert Jackson, West Virginia State Board of Ed. v. Barnette
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (11-25-2014)
Old 01-18-2015, 06:50 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

Okay. I'm enjoying The Librarians. It's not, like, good or anything. It's sort of filling that niche that Warehouse 13 left. What it lacks in finesse it makes up with trying to be fun. I'm not going to be harsh on it even when it's trying to be serious because overall it's not that serious.
Thanks, from:
Janet (01-19-2015), LadyShea (01-18-2015), Miisa (01-18-2015)
Old 01-18-2015, 01:29 PM
NPC

I caught the first couple of episodes of 12 monkeys and thought they were better than I expected. I am, however, rather apprehensive about shows based on films, and so many shows these days seem to try to run indefinitely on what is a good film or miniseries premise but not for long plotlines, so not getting my hopes too high.
Old 01-18-2015, 05:24 PM
Adequately Crumbulent

There is a 12 Monkeys TV show? I am both intrigued and frightened.
Ensign Steve (01-18-2015), Janet (01-19-2015), Miisa (01-18-2015)
Old 01-18-2015, 06:07 PM
NPC

On SyFy.
Crumb (01-18-2015)
Old 01-18-2015, 06:12 PM
Adequately Crumbulent

I will await its Netflix arrival.
Zehava (06-22-2015)
Old 01-18-2015, 06:24 PM
NPC

TVMuse is a good site for keeping track of what's on and what you have watched. Worth checking out the comments on the episode pages. http://www.tvmuse.com/tv-shows/12-Monkeys_37094/
Crumb (01-18-2015), JoeP (01-19-2015)
Old 02-26-2015, 12:08 AM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

The series finale of Parks & Rec may well be the best finale I've ever seen. I wept.
Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (02-26-2015)
Old 02-26-2015, 08:20 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

I am such a Basic Bort. I really am. That's the only explanation for my continuing to enjoy Castle. As a sort of follow up the show Forever is something I also enjoy, even if it is another spin on the basic buddy odd couple cop police procedural. It stars Ioan Gruffudd has Henry Morgan, a man who was cursed/blessed with immortality. The exact mechanism of his immortality isn't explained. He was acting as a doctor on a slave ship when he was shot and thrown overboard. Now when he is murdered he reappears in a nearby body of water, naked.

Oh, edit.

I also want to tell some rumbling haters to shut up. With the announcement of Supergirl going ahead as planned and now some rumors of DC's Vertigo's Lucifer maybe getting a show, some folks have been grumbling about both shows being called "police procedurals." Let's get this straight: Every television show that has had a superhero as the main protagonist is a police procedural in some form or another. Think for a second what it is that superheroes have been doing - fighting crime.
Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (02-28-2015)
Old 02-26-2015, 09:55 PM
A fellow sophisticate

I'm still plugging away at Justified and Better Call Saul, weekly as they are aired.
BrotherMan (02-26-2015)
Old 02-27-2015, 02:55 AM
here to bore you with pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherMan View Post
I am such a Basic Bort. I really am. That's the only explanation for my continuing to enjoy Castle. As a sort of follow up the show Forever is something I also enjoy, even if it is another spin on the basic buddy odd couple cop police procedural. It stars Ioan Gruffudd has Henry Morgan, a man who was cursed/blessed with immortality. The exact mechanism of his immortality isn't explained. He was acting as a doctor on a slave ship when he was shot and thrown overboard. Now when he is murdered he reappears in a nearby body of water, naked.
I like "Forever" even if the basic premise is, "what if Sherlock Holmes couldn't die?"

It's pretty silly, but it has Judd Hirsch livin' it up as Ioan Gruffudd's son plus some decent comic relief, which makes it better than it it probably should be.

I stopped watching "Castle" once I stopped getting live TV, but didn't really miss it - it's fun enough when I don't need to put effort into watching it.

I also petered off watching "The Mentalist" after he got Red John. It's not that it was any better or worse a show, my investment in the show was lost, and the effort to watch it became more than it was worth.

God, I'm like an old man, watching these crime dramas.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (02-27-2015), Janet (02-28-2015)
Old 02-27-2015, 04:02 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

Reading Re: What are we watching this Fall, y'all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by specious_reasons View Post
It's pretty silly, but it has Judd Hirsch livin' it up as Ioan Gruffudd's son plus some decent comic relief, which makes it better than it it probably should be.
I honestly did mean to go back and edit again just to mention Judd Hirsch. I'm old enough to know him from Taxi, but I'm probably one of the 100 people who liked Dear John. I was a little stoked when I saw him in Forever. That he's Henry's son is p dope. I love the argument(s) they have about music with Henry being disgusted by jazz.

Quote:
I stopped watching "Castle" once I stopped getting live TV, but didn't really miss it - it's fun enough when I don't need to put effort into watching it.
It's on Hulu.

:shiftier:

Quote:
I also petered off watching "The Mentalist" after he got Red John. It's not that it was any better or worse a show, my investment in the show was lost, and the effort to watch it became more than it was worth.
That show is still on? I was spotty before he caught Red John. The last episode I watched new was when he shot Bradley Whitford (3rd season finale). Weird trivia, before researching this, I thought it was Jere Burns - since it's been long enough in my head. Burns, btw, played Kirk on Dear John.

I don't know if you have the fortitude, but the show psych sometimes makes fun of The Mentalist for copying the fake psychic helping the police format. It's a goofball comedy. Speaking of comedy: I'm reminded of The Good Guys, co-starring Bradley Whitford. It's an odd couple buddy cop show that somehow only lasted two seasons.

Quote:
God, I'm like an old man, watching these crime dramas.
:oldman:

I ran out of Columbo so I started on Murder She Wrote. (Also, Rockford Files.)
Thanks, from:
Dingfod (02-27-2015), Janet (02-28-2015), Watser? (03-21-2015)
Old 02-27-2015, 07:39 AM
A fellow sophisticate

Jere Burns is one of the bad guys on Justified, a kind of bumbling bad guy, but still bad.
BrotherMan (02-27-2015)
Old 02-27-2015, 07:43 AM
A fellow sophisticate

I'm looking forward to Battle Creek on CBS this Sunday, another odd couple detective show, this one set in the crime-riddled city of Battle Creek, Michigan.
Old 03-21-2015, 02:46 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

Oh god you guys. I'm really hoping I don't get burned again liking something before I get to know about it. But iZombie got me.

Maybe I told you all before, but if not SUCK IT, I'm saying it again. I don't like zombies. They're like the lowest rung of the monsters. And with their increasing popularity, I've only disliked them more. So, when I saw that there'd be some show on the CW about some zombied chick, I wanted to totes dismiss it. Then I saw one promo that explained what it was about: The zombie chick? She works in a morgue and she sneaks brains. In eating those brains she gains insight into how that person died. I thought, okay, that's cute enough to take a look.

But guys. Guys. Seriously. I didn't know. I didn't know until watching the first episode (on the webs because I missed the premiere). Rob Thomas is all up in this. You know, Rob Thomas? Veronica Mars' Rob Thomas. So, you see, I may not be able to help myself. I feel like I have to watch it now.

In fact, I am watching it now. And I'm liking it.
Thanks, from:
Janet (03-24-2015), LadyShea (03-21-2015), lisarea (03-21-2015), livius drusus (03-21-2015), One for Sorrow (03-21-2015)
Old 03-22-2015, 12:14 AM
A fellow sophisticate

On Justified: Avery Markham (Sam Elliott) hired a punk-ass smart-alecky old-school old-west-style gunslinger to take Deputy Marshal Raylan Givens (Timothy Oliphant) out. There will be an old-school old-west-style shootout before this is over. We Deadwood fans know what happens when you take on Timothy Oliphant's characters, you become dead wood.
Janet (03-24-2015), livius drusus (03-22-2015), Watser? (03-22-2015)
Old 03-22-2015, 01:33 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherMan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by specious_reasons View Post
That show is still on? I was spotty before he caught Red John. The last episode I watched new was when he shot Bradley Whitford (3rd season finale). Weird trivia, before researching this, I thought it was Jere Burns - since it's been long enough in my head. Burns, btw, played Kirk on Dear John.
Interesting, I stopped watching "The Mentalist" because the show seemed to be obsessed with 'Red John'.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:19 AM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

Sunday's Bob's Burgers was a masterpiece. That is all.
Thanks, from:
Ari (03-24-2015), Watser? (03-24-2015)
Old 03-24-2015, 05:55 PM
Fishy mokey

:unnod:

:happycry:
livius drusus (03-24-2015)
Old 03-24-2015, 06:07 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

I've gotten to where I'm watching Broad City on a keep up basis, rather than waiting for the season to finish and then watching it all at once, like I usually do these days.
Old 06-18-2015, 12:46 PM
A fellow sophisticate

This graphic shows what cable television customers would want to watch if they could have a la cart programming, according to a survey by Digitalsmiths. The main networks are hanging in there pretty good. Fox News is way down the list, lower even than MSNBC; CNN is 22nd on the list. There are no news channels in the top 21, but 40% would choose to have The Weather Channel.

Ensign Steve (06-18-2015), Janet (06-19-2015), lisarea (06-18-2015), Nullifidian (07-12-2015), SharonDee (06-18-2015), slimshady2357 (06-18-2015), viscousmemories (06-19-2015), Watser? (06-18-2015)
Old 07-06-2015, 05:27 PM
Captain #EmbraceTheImpossible

Not fall yet but, HBO's The Brink
Old 07-11-2015, 10:56 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

Thanks, from:
Dingfod (07-17-2015), Janet (07-14-2015)
Old 07-12-2015, 11:10 AM
NPC

I shall certainly be giving Con Man a good look in September. Web series, though.

Con Man - Trailer from Con Man Web Series on Vimeo
slimshady2357 (07-12-2015)

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature