Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > The Sciences

Old 07-03-2014, 03:03 AM
the internet says I'm right

Default Re: This Just in! Vaccines STILL Do Not Cause Autism

Right, because jetpacks don't prevent death and maiming of diseases from which death and maiming were relatively commonplace before the invention of jetpacks...
Thanks, from:
Adam (07-03-2014), Clutch Munny (07-03-2014), Dingfod (07-03-2014), Janet (07-09-2014), Stephen Maturin (07-03-2014), Stormlight (07-03-2014), The Man (07-03-2014)
Old 07-03-2014, 02:42 PM
rude, crude, lewd, and unsophisticated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kael View Post
Right, because jetpacks don't prevent death and maiming of diseases from which death and maiming were relatively commonplace before the invention of jetpacks...
Right. I'm glad you agree that the analogy was stupid as shit to begin with.
Old 07-03-2014, 04:24 PM
Clutchenheimer

Also you don't inject jet packs! Stupid analogy!
Adam (07-03-2014), Janet (07-09-2014), Kael (07-03-2014), LadyShea (07-03-2014), Pan Narrans (07-03-2014), The Man (07-03-2014)
Old 07-03-2014, 07:39 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by godfry n. glad View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch Munny View Post
There was a lot of talk about personal flying jetpacks at one time, too. This is why I have such a hard time with helicopters. Weren't we promised more?
Yep, we were. But, unlike vaccines, everybody was not required to strap on a jetpack and launch.
Once again, do you think the risks of vaccines are greater than the risks of the diseases they prevent? Do you think that vaccines are more harmful than helpful on the whole?

Why do I have to ask you this repeatedly? Why are you avoiding a clear, direct answer to my clear, direct question? What claims should I ignore, and more importantly why ignore them?
Thanks, from:
The Man (07-03-2014)
Old 07-03-2014, 07:42 PM
Vice Cobra Assistant Commander

Quote:
I wish to subscribe to your newsletter, sir.
Thanks, from:
Clutch Munny (07-05-2014), Janet (07-09-2014), The Man (07-03-2014), Zehava (07-03-2014)
Old 07-03-2014, 08:10 PM
I read some of your foolish scree, then just skimmed the rest.

Quote:
It seems to me that the 'promise' of vaccination has been considerably diluted since they were initially introduced. Was there not a promise of lifetime immunity with a single vaccination?
When vaccines were originally introduced it was through additionally dangerous blood to blood injections. The promise of safer more effective vaccinations has only grown. It's been known since at least the 50s that certain vaccines need booster shots.
Thanks, from:
Janet (07-09-2014), LadyShea (07-03-2014), livius drusus (07-03-2014), The Man (07-03-2014)
Old 07-03-2014, 08:22 PM
NeoTillichian Hierophant & Partisan Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Quote:
I wish to subscribe to your newsletter, sir.
I have plans in the works to develop injectable jet packs, InJetAPacks™. I need to get busy and register at Kickstarter so I can raise the necessary capital.
Adam (07-03-2014), Clutch Munny (07-05-2014), Janet (07-09-2014), One for Sorrow (07-05-2014), Pan Narrans (07-03-2014), The Man (07-07-2014), Watser? (07-04-2014), Zehava (07-03-2014)
Old 09-14-2014, 04:08 AM

NOVA | Vaccines—Calling the Shots
Thanks, from:
chunksmediocrites (09-14-2014), Dingfod (09-14-2014), Ensign Steve (09-14-2014), Janet (09-16-2014), The Man (09-14-2014)
Old 01-23-2015, 01:55 PM

http://www.forbes.com/sites/tarahael...sles-outbreak/
Quote:
1) Two things are driving the spread of measles – and neither is undocumented immigrants.

Those two things are the extreme infectiousness of the disease and the low levels of herd immunity, or community immunity, in pockets of southern California. Measles infects 9 out of every 10 non-immune individuals it finds. It’s airborne and hangs around up to two hours after an infected person leaves the area. It doesn’t take much for this disease to spread through a population that isn’t immune from previous exposure or through vaccination. Or, to put it another way, in an unvaccinated population, each person infected with the measles will transmit the disease to 12 to 18 other people. If no one were vaccinated against measles, we would be up to hundreds, perhaps thousands, of cases by now. We aren’t because there are some levels of herd immunity, but it’s because herd immunity has been weakened that we’re seeing additional cases at all.

Disneyland Measles Outbreak Reminds Of An Important Point About Vaccination - Forbes

Quote:
The only way that measles could resurge in this manner is if large numbers of people believe the anti-vaccination scare stories. That measles vaccine came in in the year of my birth and people rushed to get it for their children. 400 to 500 children had died in the US each year and many more brain damaged or blinded. Quite how so many people have been convinced not to have the vaccine is just one of those wonders of the modern age.

Last edited by LadyShea; 01-23-2015 at 02:05 PM.
Thanks, from:
Crumb (01-23-2015), Ensign Steve (01-23-2015), Janet (01-23-2015), livius drusus (01-24-2015), The Man (01-23-2015), Watser? (01-24-2015)
Old 01-24-2015, 03:04 PM
rude, crude, lewd, and unsophisticated

Fortune magazine?

Really?

Here, try this.

In the face of increasing reports (in peer-reviewed medical research journals) of vaccine failure, "herd immunity" don't mean shit.

I'll wait for the outcome on the Krahling & Wlochowski versus Merck, Inc. whistleblower suit.
Old 01-24-2015, 03:18 PM

Vaccination Council? Really?

The clueless cite the ignorant to argue against vaccines – Respectful Insolence

Why quarantine for measles is critical…and quarantine for Ebola was not – Aetiology
Quote:
Measles has come to the happiest place on Earth. As of this writing, a total of 32 cases of measles have been linked to Disneyland visits that took place between December 17th and 20th. About 75% of the cases identified to date were not vaccinated, either because they chose to forgo vaccines or because they were too young, and at least 6 have been hospitalized.

Measles is highly contagious. It’s spread by air, and so contagious that if an infected person enters a room, leaves, and an unvaccinated person enters the room hours later, they still can contract measles. Remember a few months back, when that figure was circulating showing that Ebola wasn’t particularly easy to spread? Well, measles very much is. The basic reproductive rate for Ebola is around 2, meaning on average each infected person will cause an additional 2 infections in susceptible individuals.

And what’s the reproductive number for measles?

Eighteen. Eight. Teen. I’m not exaggerating when I say that it is literally one of the most contagious diseases we know of. On average, if you have 10 susceptible individuals exposed to a measles patient, 9 will end up getting sick.
Vaccine exemptions in California threaten herd immunity – Respectful Insolence

http://scienceblogs.com/erv/2012/07/...n-hpv-vaccine/
Quote:
Herd immunity– If a lot of people are protected from a pathogen then the people who arent protected, are still protected. The higher the percentage of ‘protected’ people, the better herd immunity works.
Forbes is not Fortune

Last edited by LadyShea; 01-24-2015 at 03:35 PM.
Thanks, from:
But (08-11-2015), Clutch Munny (01-24-2015), Corona688 (01-24-2015), Janet (01-24-2015), JoeP (01-24-2015), Stephen Maturin (01-30-2015), Watser? (01-24-2015)
Old 01-24-2015, 03:29 PM
Clutchenheimer

vaccinationcouncil.org?

Really?

Here, try this.

What is "vaccine failure," and why should it mean that "herd immunity" don't mean shit?

And can you list what you consider to be, say, the top ten cases of a lawsuit settling a scientific question?
But (08-11-2015), Janet (01-24-2015), LadyShea (01-24-2015), Stephen Maturin (01-30-2015)
Old 01-24-2015, 03:32 PM
Clutchenheimer

Sneaky in-between Shea post!

:glare:
Janet (01-24-2015), JoeP (01-24-2015), LadyShea (01-24-2015)
Old 01-24-2015, 03:41 PM

Hey you never did answer my questions from last summer, godfry

1. Do you think the risks of vaccines are greater than the risks of the diseases they prevent?

2. Do you think that vaccines are more harmful than helpful on the whole?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
Quote:
Quote:
There was a lot of talk about personal flying jetpacks at one time, too. This is why I have such a hard time with helicopters. Weren't we promised more?
Yep, we were. But, unlike vaccines, everybody was not required to strap on a jetpack and launch.
Once again, do you think the risks of vaccines are greater than the risks of the diseases they prevent? Do you think that vaccines are more harmful than helpful on the whole?

Why do I have to ask you this repeatedly? Why are you avoiding a clear, direct answer to my clear, direct question? What claims should I ignore, and more importantly why ignore them?
Thanks, from:
JoeP (01-24-2015)
Old 01-24-2015, 06:36 PM
Bizarre unknowable space alien

I was talking about this with my mom last night and I'm concerned. I've never had chicken pox. The vaccine wasn't invented until I was in my twenties, or maybe thirties. By then I had little exposure to anyone who might have it and kids were getting vaccinated so I didn't get it. I also opted out because I figured if I got the chicken pox vaccine at this age I would have to turn around and get the shingles vaccine, too, but if I didn't I could avoid all that.

But with the breakdown of herd immunity, I'm starting to worry that I'm at risk again. Genesee County isn't too bad for anti-vaxxers, but Oakland County, directly to our south, is riddled with it. I do work in a public institution so I'm a little concerned. Also, my uncle, who lives in the dreaded Oakland County, just got the mumps in his seventies. So I'm going to make sure my MMR is up to date, too.
"freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order."
- Justice Robert Jackson, West Virginia State Board of Ed. v. Barnette
Old 01-24-2015, 06:42 PM

Janet, at least check with a doctor for recommendations. I am considering the shingles vaccine immediately when I turn 50 because I do not want that shit at all, and apparently lack of repeated exposure (due to kids these days being vaccinated) increases incidence of shingles.

I didn't know you could get shingles without having had actual chickenpox
Old 01-26-2015, 03:12 PM
Now in six dimensions!

My mother didn't have chicken pox as a child, and caught it when my sister and I had it as children. It was significantly worse for her: we just itched a lot for a couple of weeks, with millions of spots, while my mother was in terrible pain and had issues eating/drinking.

Shingles, from reading, is a reactivation of the dormant chicken pox virus (after once having had chicken pox, obviously). It's thought to be caused by immune system depression (severe stress, HIV/AIDS, etc.) but really it's not well understood.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:31 PM
A fellow sophisticate

Herpes zoster is some serious shit. The death rate may be low compared to influenza, but it can cause blindness or brain damage.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:39 PM

I had chickenpox when I was in my thirties. It wasn't too bad. Guess I was lucky.

My great-uncle wasn't so lucky. He married for the first time when he was 60. His bride was a widow with several grown children. Not having spent much time around children my uncle had never contracted chickenpox. His wife had had chickenpox.

Anyway, when they were well into their 80's his wife came down with shingles. In the course of taking care of her he came down with chickenpox. They both ended up in the hospital as a result. They both recovered, but it was a close call for my uncle.
Clutch Munny (01-29-2015), Dingfod (01-28-2015), Dragar (01-29-2015), Janet (01-28-2015), LadyShea (01-28-2015), lisarea (01-28-2015), SR71 (01-28-2015)
Old 01-28-2015, 11:21 PM
Bizarre unknowable space alien

I have a doctor's appointment made next week and plan to ask about my vaccines then. I am pretty sure I'm due for an MMR update anyway. I will ask his opinion about the chicken pox one.
"freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order."
- Justice Robert Jackson, West Virginia State Board of Ed. v. Barnette
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (01-29-2015)
Old 01-30-2015, 06:46 PM
Flyover Hillbilly

Quote:
Health officials in three Arizona counties said hundreds of people may have been exposed to the highly contagious measles virus, three days before thousands of sports fans pour into the state for the Super Bowl.

The National Football League championship game will be held in Maricopa County at University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale on Feb. 1. Officials there, and in Pinal and Gila counties, are looking for people who have been to hospitals, grocery stores and a post office where infected residents visited.
Thanks a pantload, ya dumbfuck antivaxer jackoffs. :wave:

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ~ S. Gecko

"What the fuck is a German muffin?" ~ R. Swanson
Thanks, from:
Dingfod (01-30-2015), Janet (02-04-2015), LadyShea (01-31-2015)
Old 01-30-2015, 06:50 PM
happy now, Mussolini?

They should put football officials in charge of this. Nothing gets past them.

Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (01-30-2015)
Old 01-30-2015, 07:00 PM
A fellow sophisticate

If only those footballs had been injected with something.
Ensign Steve (01-30-2015)
Old 01-31-2015, 02:27 AM

It would be a great kindness to the rest of us if thousands of rabidly fanatic football fans (the kind who are willing to pay the outrageous ticket prices to attend the Superbowl) would get infected with measles and die horrible deaths.
Ensign Steve (01-31-2015), Janet (02-04-2015), Watser? (02-04-2015)
Old 01-31-2015, 11:15 PM
Mr. Condescending Dick Nose

Roald Dahl's Heartbreaking Take on Vaccines
ChuckF (01-31-2015), Clutch Munny (02-01-2015), Janet (02-04-2015), Kyuss Apollo (02-06-2015), lisarea (01-31-2015), livius drusus (02-20-2015), Pan Narrans (02-01-2015), The Man (02-01-2015)

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > The Sciences