Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > Lifestyle

Old 06-27-2023, 01:03 AM
Man in Black

Default Re: That which I have actually gotten done today

Hmm at our house we had someone replace porch lights and discovered that previous inhabitants had run "Romex" from the other porch light, okay enough, and over the door and back out through a hole to the other porch light, and extended the Romex using speaker wire, double strands connected to the ground wire, and split the other double strand at each end, one connected to "white" and the other to "black" and our guy deftly connected them and created an impressive short circuit which fortunately threw the breaker. Everything was liberally wrapped in electrical tape.

I had them remove the second porch light. I removed all of the tape, capped the Romex wires, taped the caps in place, and have encapsulated that end in a legitimate receptacle. Can't tear off the wall at this time to disconnect stuff in a civilized way.

This way, it won't short again.
Thanks, from:
Ari (06-27-2023), Crumb (06-27-2023), JoeP (06-27-2023), lisarea (06-27-2023), slimshady2357 (06-27-2023), Sock Puppet (06-27-2023), specious_reasons (06-27-2023), vremya (06-27-2023)
Old 07-15-2023, 10:12 PM
here to bore you with pictures

Today is lots of small activities which needed to get done.

Mowed the lawn because it was getting hard to find dog poop. I mowed part of the median - I'm trying to push back some of the vines/holly bushes and stuff in the median to give the old dog a better walking path. I clipped all of the blackberry vines and other thorny pest plants so they don't take over the median.

I replaced a light bulb in the kitchen. It's been out for a week, but I had to drive to the store to pick up more bulbs. I took out the garbage and recycling.

I read some of my library book. This book is making me think I need to buy more equipment to get the photos I desire. Maybe I need to add a polarized filter for my macro lens on my wishlist.

The day is still pretty young, but I think the rest of it is going to be estate related activities.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (07-16-2023), JoeP (07-16-2023), lisarea (07-16-2023), slimshady2357 (07-16-2023), viscousmemories (07-16-2023)
Old 07-15-2023, 10:46 PM
Rambling Old Fart

Finally got the Mrs out of the house without having any Doctor appointments.
It's a beautiful day, not terribly hot. We just drove in to town for some errands.
then off down the highway for a drive in the country.
When she settled down and took a nap, I just wandered that back roads for a while.
A lot of the farmers are finally getting their Winter Wheat cut and ready for Market.
The Corn crop is going to be planted late this year, 'cause of the rains finally quitting. Rain was a blessing and a curse. Farmers don't like all the fish ponds that are still out there in the middle of their fields.

A couple of years ago none of that would have been of any meaning to me, but now those are the kinds of things that get talked about at the Coffee shop.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (07-16-2023), JoeP (07-16-2023), lisarea (07-16-2023), slimshady2357 (07-16-2023), viscousmemories (07-16-2023)
Old 09-04-2023, 06:56 PM
liar in wolf's clothing

I don't know why we decided that a 95 degree Labor Day is the ideal time to repot an aloe plant that has needed repotting for at least 3-4 years, but we did. And now about $50 in potting soil and pots later, I am exhausted. It was kind of amazing how much the soil had degenerated. We repotted 9 aloe plants from it. We'll see what lives and what does not.
Thanks, from:
Ari (09-04-2023), BrotherMan (09-05-2023), ceptimus (09-05-2023), Crumb (09-05-2023), JoeP (09-04-2023), LarsMac (09-04-2023), slimshady2357 (09-04-2023), Sock Puppet (09-06-2023), Stephen Maturin (09-05-2023), viscousmemories (09-04-2023)
Old 10-01-2023, 01:15 AM
I read some of your foolish scree, then just skimmed the rest.

Awhile ago I bought a new vacuum filter that came in a two pack, so I put one away, but unfortunately I don’t have a “vacuum pieces” spot that’s not the vacuum itself, and it vanished.

Today I found it pretending to be a WD-40 can and OMG DO YOU KNOW HOW LOUD A PROPERLY VACUUMING VACUUM IS?
Thanks, from:
JoeP (10-01-2023)
Old 10-01-2023, 02:02 AM
Rambling Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari View Post
Awhile ago I bought a new vacuum filter that came in a two pack, so I put one away, but unfortunately I don’t have a “vacuum pieces” spot that’s not the vacuum itself, and it vanished.

Today I found it pretending to be a WD-40 can and OMG DO YOU KNOW HOW LOUD A PROPERLY VACUUMING VACUUM IS?
Not as loud as one with a nearly clogged filter, I reckon.
Old 10-01-2023, 02:15 AM
Rambling Old Fart

We had stopped at an RV Park in Wyoming, and set the levelers will camping, the other day. Yesterday morning I could not get the jacks to retract all together. One of them would insist on remaining extended, leaving the RV in a rather disturbing cant. And, to complicate the issue, it wasn't the same one, each time.

Fortunately, I found the customer support for the company that made the jacks, HWH, and a guy on the phone walked me through some draining and resetting lines. Apparently some air bubbles had managed get into the lines, confusing the sensors
We ended up not leaving the campground. The winds picked up and it is quite uncomfortable driving a big box down the road in heavy winds. But, if the settle down overnight, we can get off to an early start tomorrow, and get down into the valley and out of the wind. if not, we could be hanging around tomorrow if the highway department shuts the road to high profile vehicle, again.

Good thing we're not in a hurry.
Thanks, from:
JoeP (10-01-2023), slimshady2357 (10-02-2023), Sock Puppet (10-02-2023), specious_reasons (10-01-2023)
Old 10-01-2023, 09:55 AM
Solipsist

I am in the UK for a week or so.

Little Miss JoeP says she hasn't been able to get to the garden shed because of spiders. And I did in fact meet some large and speedy spiders.

But the main challenge turned out to be brambles - entirely blocking the path. Aided and abetted by a bay tree, which is supposed to be there but grows quite energetically while at least retaining some kind of shape, and jasmine which as a climber has no respect whatsoever for shape.

Managed to hack a path to the shed and retrieve the hedge trimmer. Bay and jasmine are now well shaped.

The bramble can never fully be removed, but round 473 to me.

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Thanks, from:
slimshady2357 (10-02-2023)

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > Lifestyle