Old 03-06-2015, 09:23 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

Default Re: DC Nation

I like the design of it though it could use a little brightness, mostly because this iconic property should differentiate itself from the other DC shows that are out there.
Thanks, from:
Janet (03-07-2015), Kael (03-06-2015), wei yau (03-07-2015), Zehava (04-03-2015)
Old 03-26-2015, 09:29 PM
simple country microbiologist hyperchicken

So I know I am late to the making fun of Affleck as Batman party.

I was just thinking about it earlier today. At some point someone had to bring up the idea of Affleck as Batman for the first time. Before he was offered the part or read for it (if he does shit like that), someone had to bring up for the first time the idea to another person who was not ready for that idea.

I just think that the first person who heard someone to suggest Affleck did a spit take, like an honest to goodness spit take.

Then the first person had to say,"No, seriously..." and then make some argument.
Janet (03-27-2015), Zehava (03-27-2015)
Old 03-29-2015, 03:29 PM
forever in search of dill pickle doritos

New Flash episodes! :w00t:

For some strange reason I thought season 1 was over, but it isn't :nope:

So I got to see back to back episodes today, that was cool.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:46 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

I wasn't really paying attention, but there's evidently some plans on creating a CW Justice Group. I wasn't watching because, you know, it's just in the plan stage. But I just got excited because another character has been announced for the lineup.

Hawkgirl. Also you should know, in case you don't, COMICS. ARE. WEIRD. And of course there are more than one version of even this character. I don't know anything about this version. In fact, I only know some things about the JL/U version of the character.

Final also. Because wei yau doesn't have enough plotzness in his life. Numbers 5 and 4 on this list should provide his recommended daily allowance.
Thanks, from:
Janet (04-02-2015)
Old 04-01-2015, 07:25 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

The Flash. Season 1, Episode 17.

:gah:

:ohgod:

FUCKING. WOW.
Thanks, from:
Ari (04-01-2015), Janet (04-02-2015), wei yau (04-02-2015)
Old 04-01-2015, 11:20 PM
I read some of your foolish scree, then just skimmed the rest.

Indeed!

Not being a big DC fan I'm glad I accidented onto this, it's easily one of the best super hero romps on TV. Also damn Mark Hamill can be creepy.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (04-01-2015), Janet (04-02-2015), wei yau (04-02-2015)
Old 04-02-2015, 03:43 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

I knew Luke was going to be on the show but I didn't expect that performance. I loved every bit of it. Even if at the same time I disliked that other villain Trickster. I think Hamill mind-tricked that poor kid or sucked all the performance out of the air or something.

And as good as that was, man, the reveals in this episode were EPIC.
Thanks, from:
slimshady2357 (04-02-2015), wei yau (04-02-2015)
Old 04-02-2015, 06:41 PM
Bizarre unknowable space alien

Everything about that episode was awesome, but especially the Eobard Thawne reveals and Hamill doing the Joker voice. He is indeed, the creepiest of creepies when he chooses to be.

I have been ranting that The Flash is better than any TV show deserves to be. I love it SO MUCH!
"freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order."
- Justice Robert Jackson, West Virginia State Board of Ed. v. Barnette
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (04-02-2015), slimshady2357 (04-02-2015), wei yau (04-02-2015)
Old 04-02-2015, 08:25 PM
Tellifying

Finally caught up and it was awesome.

I have major reservations on how Iris is treated, but there's enough awesomeness elsewhere to make me forget it....for now.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:07 PM

Yeah the one thing that I haven't liked about The Flash is they seem to not know what to do with Iris, she seems more there as a plot device than an actual character.

Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (04-02-2015), wei yau (04-02-2015)
Old 04-02-2015, 09:24 PM

Thank you for telling me who the old guy in that promo was. I watched it twice and didn't catch it either time and it was bothering me. I am always happy to see, and especially hear, more Clancy Brown, even controlled by Grodd.
"freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order."
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (04-02-2015), wei yau (04-02-2015)
Old 04-02-2015, 11:14 PM

Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (04-02-2015)
Old 04-02-2015, 11:23 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

You guys are s-m-r-t and I agree with everthing you said.
Old 04-05-2015, 03:58 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

Bruce Timm returns to making DCAU movies with Justice League: Gods and Monsters. On the one hand, yay, Bruce Timm, right? On the other hand, it's a super dark, grimedge, Elseworlds title.

Thanks, from:
Janet (04-07-2015)
Old 04-08-2015, 05:56 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

After last week's The Flash episode, I read the review and recap at the Mary Sue. That's where I first saw some of the things youse gais had mentioned. Namely that (especially) now Iris West is the odd woman out. Now TMS has a whole article about that.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:50 PM

ALA has just come out with a set of DC Read posters. Just in time for the hero-themed Summer Reading Club this year. I already bought one for myself. Couldn't resist.

Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (04-08-2015), specious_reasons (04-09-2015)
Old 04-09-2015, 02:46 AM
here to bore you with pictures

I was in the library the other day, looking for some lightweight reading, and I picked up "Crisis on Infinite Earth."

I can't figure out what's going on. Part of it is because I'm not very familiar with the DC lineup, but part of it is that it's 80s comic book science on acid.

Any help here?
Old 04-09-2015, 03:33 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

The real world history behind the first Crisis: All of the DC character's history had become too burdensome to allow keep expanding while maintaining any semblance of continuity. A lot of the various incarnations had been shuffled into other parallel universes. Crisis is was the attempt to wash out all the various things and create a single continuity to move forward with.

Ugh. I wish I had my copy on hand, that'd be so much easier. I loaned it and it stayed loaned. To get more specific answers I need more specific answers. I would consider wei yau to be one of our more knowledgeable experts on Crisis. (Adem would count but he's only around to answer Dazzler questions.)
Thanks, from:
Janet (04-09-2015), Sock Puppet (04-13-2015), specious_reasons (04-09-2015), Zehava (04-09-2015)
Old 04-09-2015, 04:15 PM

I only really know it from what cropped up in Swamp Thing. I know there was a sort of psychic crisis to parallel the main one that involved the chaos that existed before creation coming back. Which reminds me, I really need to read that again. I keep rereading my first Swamp Thing graphic novel because it's easier than pulling out the long box, but American Gothic is more than due for a revisit.
Old 04-14-2015, 05:50 AM
Tellifying

Sorry, I missed the "DC Comic Nerd" alert in the red skies.

While I can go on and on about Crisis, if need be, I think it'd be better to point you here.

The Annotated Crisis on Infinite Earths
Old 04-16-2015, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wei yau View Post
Sorry, I missed the "DC Comic Nerd" alert in the red skies.

While I can go on and on about Crisis, if need be, I think it'd be better to point you here.

The Annotated Crisis on Infinite Earths
I finished the series, and it ends strong, but I still didn't get it.... There's only one Oa and one Quard in the whole multiverse? The antimatter that destroyed whole universes didn't destroy everything in all the universes?

I'd feel more for the characters who all died if I knew much about them - this probably wasn't a very good entry point into DC comics.
Old 04-16-2015, 11:19 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

Starting with Infinite Crisis is kind of like starting calculus in the middle of the year. There's all these forumlas on the board and before you can copy any of them down the professor erases the board. You didn't do anything wrong per se, but the Crisis is one of the biggest, more complicated, literally universe changing trades to pick up. Even post crisis the multiverse creeped back in and caused problems. You poor, sweet, summer child.

I don't know comics like other people, like I said, somehow I know stuff just by hanging around comic geeks. So I'm struggling to think of better places to start. I'd suggest finding a character you like and finding one of their best stories and buy that trade. That is if the Super Crisis of All Time hasn't put you off.
Old 04-16-2015, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherMan View Post
Starting with Infinite Crisis is kind of like starting calculus in the middle of the year. There's all these forumlas on the board and before you can copy any of them down the professor erases the board. You didn't do anything wrong per se, but the Crisis is one of the biggest, more complicated, literally universe changing trades to pick up. Even post crisis the multiverse creeped back in and caused problems. You poor, sweet, summer child.

I don't know comics like other people, like I said, somehow I know stuff just by hanging around comic geeks. So I'm struggling to think of better places to start. I'd suggest finding a character you like and finding one of their best stories and buy that trade. That is if the Super Crisis of All Time hasn't put you off.
It's what I get for picking a book randomly.

It did point out some characters that might be worth following, and some that might not be. I've always been interested in Green Lantern, but he's not a big presence in this series. This also reminded me that I'm not up to date on the Arrow or Flash TV shows - time to remedy that.
Old 04-17-2015, 04:02 AM
Coffin Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherMan View Post
The real world history behind the first Crisis: All of the DC character's history had become too burdensome to allow keep expanding while maintaining any semblance of continuity. A lot of the various incarnations had been shuffled into other parallel universes. Crisis is was the attempt to wash out all the various things and create a single continuity to move forward with.
The problem was that they didn't create a single continuity, they tried to merge bits and pieces of two major ones and a number of smaller series. Almost immediately the cracks started showing as the writers of the various books didn't always know which characters (or versions of characters) were canon to the newly created reality. Hawkman in particular got so screwed up (both of the old ones showed up as well as a new one) that the character wasn't allowed to be used for years. Add to that the fact that the Big Three characters all were removed from the JLA, but the actual JLA back issues were still supposed to be canon... It was just a big mess. The mini-series should have ended with a complete reboot if they wanted to clean up the mess that the multiverse had caused. Instead they ended up with a bigger snarl than they had before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
I only really know it from what cropped up in Swamp Thing. I know there was a sort of psychic crisis to parallel the main one that involved the chaos that existed before creation coming back. Which reminds me, I really need to read that again. I keep rereading my first Swamp Thing graphic novel because it's easier than pulling out the long box, but American Gothic is more than due for a revisit.
I read Swamp Thing back then and years later wanted to pick up the collections but haven't ever been able to find Volume 2 and don't want to get them out of order. Haven't looked in a while though.
BrotherMan (04-17-2015), Janet (04-17-2015)
Old 04-18-2015, 12:34 AM
Tellifying

Weirdly enough, Crisis was my first entry into the DC universe. I didn't know most of the characters, but wanted to learn so much more about them. Which I did, over the course of many many years.

And I have no regrets. Ymir's Blood is absolutely right on how the whole thing fell apart almost immediately after the end of Crisis. Perhaps it could never have worked without a complete reboot, which is what the New 52 is, right?

I've not read the New 52, but is it a complete reboot? Or do they still refer to a backstory canon that doesn't technically exist?

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature