Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > Food & Drink

Old 11-18-2004, 03:37 PM
simple country microbiologist hyperchicken

Default Re: The History of Food and Beverage

cheerwine is sold at the store I work at. I drink the diet cheerwine and it is much beter than diet coke.

I think the history of pizza is fucking cool because it is something that I think of as italian but is actually a very recent addition to italian cuisine.
Old 11-18-2004, 04:27 PM
rude, crude, lewd, and unsophisticated

I found this to be an interesting source:

Seeds of Change: Six Plants That Transformed Mankind by Henry Hobhouse

From Library Journal:
Quote:
This book, devoted to quinine, sugar, tea, cotton, and the potato, is not just about plants but about history. It shows how certain plants influenced the course of human affairs, often negatively. Quinine, for instance, cures malaria, but that quality allowed temperate-climate peoples to exploit tropical areas. The development of cheap sugar is linked with slavery, and tea with opium. Seeds of Change is fascinating and well researched.
Originally written as "Five Plants That Transformed Mankind", subsequent editions added in coca as the sixth plant to be discussed. Hobhouse has also released a new title, Seeds of Wealth: Four Plants That Made Men Rich, which deals with timber, tobacco, wine and rubber.

I'm rather interested in the diffusion process, particularly in regards to the spread of New World foodstuffs throughout the world. Tomatoes, corn (aka maize) and potatoes have become staples worldwide. How many can imagine Italian cuisine without the marinara sauce?

godfry
Old 11-18-2004, 04:33 PM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyelzu
I think the history of pizza is fucking cool because it is something that I think of as italian but is actually a very recent addition to italian cuisine.
Me too, bey. I always have to remind myself that the tomato is a New World thing. It's so integral to Italian cooking now that it's almost hard to imagine a time when Italian food has no tomatoes.

Also, my favorite pizza is the original Margherita. It's just such a classic combination of flavors.

Edit: Wow, godfry, nice cross-post. Get out my head, damn ye!
Old 11-18-2004, 09:52 PM
Love Bomb

I remember being fascinated by pizza in Italy. They were so different to the pizza I was used to; nothing at all like Pizza Hut or Pizza Haven. My fave was the Four Seasons pizza with a glass of white wine. I could live in Italy - Retire there in the regions around Largo DiGarda. It's so beautiful around there.

I was looking more at the Slow Food Movement pages last night, and had no idea that they were a movement for bio-diversity and conservation. I thought it was just a movement celebrating "real" food with regard to good, fresh produce, joyous cooking, and healthy eating - and taking your time enjoying the whole experience with friends and family - the complete opposite of fast food. I had no idea they were more than that. I wonder how we can get the Slow Food Movement to become so big that Monsanto is forced into bankruptcy.

The Slow Food Movement is very cool.

Godfrey, that book reminds me of another page I was browsing last night: http://www.killerplants.com/plants%2...ged%2Dhistory/

I was also reading a bit about coffee, but I'll post that when I have a little more free time later this evening. :)

~ Ice T ~
Old 11-19-2004, 12:02 AM
Admin

I used to go to a place called Oliver's outside the base in Germany. It was owned and operated by Italians, and the pizza was out of this world. Thin, crunchy and salty crust. Even though I "defiled it" (if you ask liv) with ham and pineapple, it was :homdrool:
Old 11-19-2004, 12:48 AM
Love Bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscousmemories
Thin, crunchy and salty crust.
The way God intended it. :yup:

~ Ice T ~
Old 11-19-2004, 01:06 AM
Admin

Oh yeah, and a thin layer of sauce and cheese (if there was any cheese at all... now I don't remember). Anyway neither slathered on like Americans do it, although I rather like slathering of things.
Old 02-19-2006, 09:20 PM

When I was a kid you would buy a case of bottles in a wooden crate, then return the bottles to the store to get a new case when you were done.

I think it might've been an exclusive Detroit thing though.
Thats not the case....about 7-10 years ago there was even a towne club store in my neighborhood of Rochester NY...actually in greece ny..very good soda. They had birtch beer, root beer, cream soda, and sarsaparilla...best flavor soda i have ever had in my life...
Old 02-19-2006, 10:15 PM
(former) Chef/Assassin

I've been told that Cod: A Biography Of The Fish That Changed The World and Salt: A World History are both excellent, but though I've read excerpts (for class) I never have gotten round to reading them through. Kurlansky has another book coming out at the end of the month, which completes the hattrick: The Big Oyster: History On The Half Shell as well.

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > Food & Drink