Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Atrium

Old 09-14-2004, 09:09 AM
Raping the Marlboro Man

Default Dumbass Article Questions

So because NI has been a lazy bunch of shitheads and haven't posted their "How fucked up religions are" (okay, so the issue wasn't called that, but that's how I think of it) issue, I've scanned and image-to-word read a couple of articles that I'd like to post somewhere.

Where can I do that around here? Should I just dump them in the "philosophy, morality etc" forum or put them somewhere else?

Yours in stupidity
-Adora
Old 09-14-2004, 12:59 PM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

Default Re: Dumbass Article Questions

Philo, morality is definitely the right location, but I'd feel a little funny in a copyright law kinda way about you posting the entire article. Would exerpts (even substantial ones) work for you? Were you planning on commenting or mainly hooking us up with the articles?

I think a greatest hits approach is probably best, ethically as well as legally speaking. Mind you, you could post the whole thing and we wouldn't take it down until their lawyers showed up with Coach briefcases and blood on their teeth.
Old 09-14-2004, 01:05 PM
Solipsist

Image-to-word read - like you've OCR'd them? :P

Errm - aren't they copyrighted? otoh, I have been waiting to look at them since you posted the original notice. :popcorn:

I'd post them as new philosophy articles and ask for forgiveness later. But what do I know, I only work here.

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Old 09-14-2004, 01:10 PM

See, the problem with her posting them as articles is that the header will say she's the author. Of course she can disclaim all over the place; that might work too.
Old 09-14-2004, 03:56 PM
rude, crude, lewd, and unsophisticated

Okay... Anything written and with an attribution as to the author carries a copyright per U.S. law. Without the attribution is precarious, as it may have started with such and lost it along the way....it's still copyrighted.

Quoting it is acceptable, but you can still get the entire text by linking to it....that's the safest way to deal with pre-published materials. Link to the original site, if possible. That way, you are actually using the material as intended and as written by the original author (you hope) and thus not a copyright violation.

As for acting first and asking for forgiveness later...let me tell you that copyright enforcement is not too forgiving. The thing is, it's also not too effective.

godfry
Old 09-14-2004, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godfry n. glad
Quoting it is acceptable, but you can still get the entire text by linking to it....that's the safest way to deal with pre-published materials. Link to the original site, if possible. That way, you are actually using the material as intended and as written by the original author (you hope) and thus not a copyright violation.
She can't link to it, though, because they haven't posted it on the site yet. She's talking about posting a version she scanned from the hard copy of the magazine.

Quote:
As for acting first and asking for forgiveness later...let me tell you that copyright enforcement is not too forgiving. The thing is, it's also not too effective.
Everything I've seen indicates that a cease and desist comes first. If you don't contest that and take down the offending material, there is no enforcement to speak of.

In any case, I find the prospect of such a posting icky on an ethical level as well as a legal one. Quotes are the way to go, imo.
Old 09-14-2004, 04:18 PM
Solipsist

Quote:
Points about seriousness of copyright are well taken. Adora, can you find any text in the magazine about allowing copying?

Godfry et al, the whole point of Adora's q is that the text is not online yet. Nothing to link to. If this is because they are stupid and slack, they deserve the text to be promoted by Adora. If it's because they don't want to lose potential sales of the current issue, they are money-grubbing capitalists and need to learn to hare nicely. :liar: :nono:

Old 09-14-2004, 04:47 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP
they are money-grubbing capitalists and need to learn to hare nicely. :liar: :nono:
Why is everything about the :bunny: with you?
Old 09-14-2004, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livius drusus
Quote:
She can't link to it, though, because they haven't posted it on the site yet. She's talking about posting a version she scanned from the hard copy of the magazine.

Quote:
Everything I've seen indicates that a cease and desist comes first. If you don't contest that and take down the offending material, there is no enforcement to speak of.

In any case, I find the prospect of such a posting icky on an ethical level as well as a legal one. Quotes are the way to go, imo.

You are right that "cease and desist" usually comes first, but it needn't. As to enforcement, it depends upon whom you are dealing with. Some of the biggest copyright and trademark owners are the most unforgiving...Disney being the classic case.

One other approach would be for Adora to contact the publisher and request permission to post it. Of course, if they deny it and it's posted anyway, then you're totally exposed because you have no excuse whatsoever.

Yes, it seems that quoting from the work is the most prudent means....but be advised that copyright law (in the U.S.) does include provisions about reproducing "significant portions" of the work (our library uses an arbitrary 10% figure, as that amount has yet to be adjudicated), so quoting significant portions can get you in as much hot-water as posting the whole damned thing.

Whatever is done, make sure that the original author and source is cited with the quotes or posting. That mollifies in many cases. But again, it's dependent upon the publisher.

godfry
Old 09-14-2004, 09:52 PM
Solipsist

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscousmemories
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP
they are money-grubbing capitalists and need to learn to hare nicely. :liar: :nono:
Why is everything about the :bunny: with you?
Stop bugsing me, vm.

Old 09-14-2004, 11:30 PM
Raping the Marlboro Man

Quote:
Points about seriousness of copyright are well taken. Adora, can you find any text in the magazine about allowing copying?
Doh. Only allowed to schools and tertiary educational institutions. *heads desk*
Old 09-15-2004, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adora
Quote:
Doh. Only allowed to schools and tertiary educational institutions. *heads desk*
Welcome to my world.

My recommendation: Tempt us with choice bits. Taunt us with it. Paraphrase boldly. Tease us. Make us want to obtain the mag...even subscribe. That's the reason for it anyway. Give us quotes. And footnotes....ooo...footnotes. Give us intellectual foreplay!

Accurate bibliographic citations can do wonders. Given accurate citations, I can get most anything; some sooner, some later.

It's New Internationalist, right? So whats the date, volume and issue number? Will I recognize the article title from what you've given me? Oh, yeah...what's the author's name, again?

godfry n. glad
Old 09-15-2004, 08:36 AM
Raping the Marlboro Man

Quote:
Give us intellectual foreplay!
o.O Will do, once I get a breath of spare time after asignments are finished (couple of all-nighters looming on the horizon).
Old 09-15-2004, 04:31 PM

I checked last night, and I have online access to full text articles from New Internationalist, up to and including the September 2004 issue. I cruised through the article titles in the ToC and didn't find a title that I could match with the kind of content to which you were referring.

Can you give me volume, date, and page numbers?

godfry
Old 09-15-2004, 04:41 PM
Admin

Quote:
I checked last night, and I have online access to full text articles from New Internationalist, up to and including the September 2004 issue. I cruised through the article titles in the ToC and didn't find a title that I could match with the kind of content to which you were referring.

godfry
She mentions in the OP that they haven't put that issue online yet. Apparently that's why she scanned the hardcopy in. :popcorn:
Old 09-15-2004, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Quote:

godfry
She mentions in the OP that they haven't put that issue online yet. Apparently that's why she scanned the hardcopy in. :popcorn:
They haven't put it gratis online....I have access to an online full text subscription (through my employer). I can look at everything in the issue. You can't and anyone else who doesn't have access to a subscription can't.

Neener, neener. :P

godfry
Old 09-15-2004, 04:57 PM
Admin

Quote:
They haven't put it gratis online....I have access to an online full text subscription (through my employer). I can look at everything in the issue. You can't and anyone else who doesn't have access to a subscription can't.

Ohhh... well aren't you speshul. :D
Old 09-15-2004, 04:58 PM

I really like the word "gratis". Sorry, my consciousness seems to be streaming again. Possibly down my leg.
Old 09-15-2004, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Ohhh... well aren't you speshul. :D
Hey! When you work a thankless low-paying job, you expect a perq every now and then...so, this is it. Stunning, isn't it? I still think I'd rather have the pay-raise.

godfry
Old 09-15-2004, 05:34 PM
Admin

Quote:
Hey! When you work a thankless low-paying job, you expect a perq every now and then...so, this is it. Stunning, isn't it? I still think I'd rather have the pay-raise.
What is this 'job' you speak of? I don't have that word in my vocabulary. :(
Old 09-15-2004, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Quote:
What is this 'job' you speak of? I don't have that word in my vocabulary. :(
"Job"? It's where I go every weekday to do menial tasks at the behest of folks who provide me a paycheck every two weeks, along with health care and retirement benefits. You must be a consultant, eh?

In my case, I'm a "paraprofessional" at a health care university library. "Paraprofessional" means I can do everything the librarians do, but I can't call myself a librarian and I don't get their pay. I do, however, fit the "loose definition" of a librarian: A clerk with a master's degree.

Just out of interest, if you don't have a "job", how do you pay your rent, purchase your food, and clothe yourself? I hardly think you're dumpster diving, being as you have nearly 24 hour access to a computer.

I know!...I know!...

You're a "kept" man!

Right?

godfry
Old 09-15-2004, 06:23 PM
Admin

Quote:
Just out of interest, if you don't have a "job", how do you pay your rent, purchase your food, and clothe yourself? I hardly think you're dumpster diving, being as you have nearly 24 hour access to a computer.

I know!...I know!...

You're a "kept" man!

Right?
I swear you're the first person to ask me that in the many months I've been whining about not having a job or any money. :D

Actually I was doing some odds and ends for a guy in California which gave me just enough money, literally, to pay for rent and food (subsidized by doing all the cleaning and cooking for my roomates). Since moving to Texas, though, I'm pretty much just going into debt to my very generous roomate until I can afford to pay him back. Fortunately he makes assloads of money and again, I do act as something of a housewife 'round here to reduce the financial burden, but yeah it would be good on all of us if I had me a job with benefits and stuff.

So um... kept. Yeah I think that's accurate. :D
Old 09-16-2004, 05:08 AM
Raping the Marlboro Man

August 2004, 370.

Article: "In the Name of God" pg 9-12.
"Who Needs Religion?" pg 14-16
"Justice vs Vatican" pg 16-17
and "Why?" pg 20-21

Will post bits of them in later post.
Old 09-16-2004, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adora
August 2004, 370.

Article: "In the Name of God" pg 9-12.
"Who Needs Religion?" pg 14-16
"Justice vs Vatican" pg 16-17
and "Why?" pg 20-21

Will post bits of them in later post.
August? Well, no wonder I didn't find anything along the lines of the topic you mentioned. I was looking at the September edition. :doh:

Thanks, Adora :thankyou:

godfry

Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Atrium