Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > The Sciences

Old 02-22-2006, 12:51 AM
Ultraviolet Radiator

Default Fish & Intelligence

Is it true that the Japanese get smart because they eat a lot of fish? Is this scientifically proven? Or just a bad assumption I heard from the media? :scratch:

ETA: how many people here like fish?
Old 02-22-2006, 01:33 AM
A fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi

Default Re: Fish & Intelligence

It had nothing to do with the Japanese. It had to do with diets rich in iodine and other minerals commonly found in coastal diets. It happened to include birds in the diet as well. Humans have had "brain food rich" diets, chimpanzees have not. That could be a reason why we have larger brains than they do.

Go back to your village.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:10 AM
Now in six dimensions!

Another reason could be that larger brains are important for the very important role of predicting the behaviour of other humans - which becomes more and more complicated the larger the brain.

Possible evolutionary reasons and pressures for increased brain size are varied and interesting.
Old 02-22-2006, 04:07 AM
A fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi

AFAIK, this study dealt directly and only with/on diets. I read it this morning, I'll see if I can find a link to an article.

http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/5-25-2002-19140.asp

That link, oddly enough is from 2002 ... so why this suddenly made the headlines today (I couldn't find a current link, googled this one) is beyond me.

ETA: Here is the current link: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,185430,00.html
Old 02-22-2006, 04:53 AM
Surveying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophy
Is it true that the Japanese get smart because they eat a lot of fish? Is this scientifically proven? Or just a bad assumption I heard from the media? :scratch:

ETA: how many people here like fish?

It's a fact

If you eat fish from birth you will get smarter as you grow older, if you go to school and eat fish chances are you will be smarter still.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:22 PM
poster over sea and land

Um, I thought that the mercury and toxins found in fish can cause learning difficulties in children if the mother ate a lot of fish while the child was in gestation and if the child ate fish in its early, formative years.

Anyway, I give my kids fish oils and essential fatty acids once daily and a portion of fish weekly. They both have genius I.Q.s. (hehe, had to add a little mummy bragging in there!)
Old 02-23-2006, 10:54 PM
Solipsist

It's the heads of the fish.

You may have heard of the amazingly smart and quick-witted grocery store owner. And of the customer who asks him, "Tell me, what makes you so smart?"

"I wouldn't share my secret with just anyone," replies the proprietor, lowering his voice so the other shoppers won't hear. "But since you're a good and faithful customer, I'll let you in on it. Fish heads. You eat enough of them, you'll be positively brilliant."

"You sell them here?" the customer asks.

"Only $6 each," says the proprietor.

The customer buys three. A week later, he's back in the store complaining that the fish heads were disgusting and he isn't any smarter.

"You didn't eat enough " says the proprietor. The customer goes home with 20 more fish heads. Two weeks later, he's back and this time he's really angry.

"Hey," he says, "You're selling me fish heads for $6 each when I can buy the whole fish for $3. You're ripping me off!"

"You see?" says the proprietor. "You're getting smarter already!"

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Old 02-23-2006, 10:59 PM
Ultraviolet Radiator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP
It's the heads of the fish.

You may have heard of the amazingly smart and quick-witted grocery store owner. And of the customer who asks him, "Tell me, what makes you so smart?"

"I wouldn't share my secret with just anyone," replies the proprietor, lowering his voice so the other shoppers won't hear. "But since you're a good and faithful customer, I'll let you in on it. Fish heads. You eat enough of them, you'll be positively brilliant."

"You sell them here?" the customer asks.

"Only $6 each," says the proprietor.

The customer buys three. A week later, he's back in the store complaining that the fish heads were disgusting and he isn't any smarter.

"You didn't eat enough " says the proprietor. The customer goes home with 20 more fish heads. Two weeks later, he's back and this time he's really angry.

"Hey," he says, "You're selling me fish heads for $6 each when I can buy the whole fish for $3. You're ripping me off!"

"You see?" says the proprietor. "You're getting smarter already!"
Very witty, JoeP! :D :roflcopt:

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > The Sciences