Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature

Old 06-09-2015, 01:01 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Default Re: Orphan Black is the best show on television and you should all be watching it

No, best Helena is when she is threatening to "gut you like a feesh"
Old 06-09-2015, 09:21 PM
Bizarre unknowable space alien

Default Re: Orphan Black is the best show on television and you should all be watching it

I was happy for the extra Tom McCamus. (I must bore you guys with all my Stratford/Toronto actor fangirling on this show.) It was surprising to see Felix want to take the new clone to heart and Sarah being against it. Maybe Sarah figured that once she had the cure she could go back and help the new one.

I am very intrigued by the off-screen voice who was helping Rachel. I want to know who this new player is. I am also excited for seeing whose bloody hand that is next week. Who wants to bet on whether it's Helena or Alison who kills off the high-school sweetheart drug dealer?
"freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order."
- Justice Robert Jackson, West Virginia State Board of Ed. v. Barnette
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (06-09-2015), LadyShea (06-12-2015)
Old 06-09-2015, 10:21 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

Oh you know folks are doing their best to figure it out, using logic and reverse logic and clone knowledge and ability. I kinda have my heart set on Helena if only because we know she's capable of it. But then a lot of the shock value of it being Alison could be worth it. Maybe it will even further solidify their marriage or some crazy thing. It's happened before. (Which is also part of my rationalization for it being Helena.)
Thanks, from:
Janet (06-09-2015), LadyShea (06-16-2015)
Old 06-16-2015, 03:51 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

There was a really big piece of the puzzle that was dropped on us last week. I'm not sure what the ramifications will be for it, but it's damned interesting.

A more personal impact comes from just how far Delphine is willing to go to protect Dyad and or remove a romantic rival. I had been merely looking down my nose at her, that being jealous and following Cosima and Shay was just some sad act by a desperate person. But threatening to kill someone puts her firmly in the bad-guy camp

But then. What does it say about me that I don't immediately feel the same about Siobhan who seemed ready to kill her own mother for the terrible sin of being Person Zero for the Clone Clubs?

BUT ALSO OMG. How Odd Couple adorable are Donnie and Helena?

HOW ADORABLE WAS HELENA PRETENDING TO BE ALISON.

You should no threaten babbys.
:gah:
Thanks, from:
Janet (06-16-2015)
Old 06-16-2015, 07:42 PM

Totally adorable!

I am intrigued by the previews, again. We thought Rachel was rescued but it looks like she's just been captured by someone else. Still don't know who, but it might be Ensign Ro, clone-mother. I kind of got the impression that Siobhan and her mother had the kind of relationship that made murder unsurprising. And Siobhan is actually their sister/daughter? That's some I'm my own grandpa shit right there. But it also makes it an almost unsupportable coincidence that Siobhan ended up raising one of the clones.
"freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order."
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (06-16-2015), LadyShea (07-16-2015)
Old 07-16-2015, 05:54 PM
Safety glasses off, motherfuckers

Tatiana Maslany's Emmy nomination for Orphan Black finally happened | EW.com

It's about time.

I need to get caught up on season three.

“All for ourselves, and nothing for other people, seems, in every age of the world, to have been the vile maxim of the masters of mankind.” -Adam Smith

last.fm · my music · Marathon Expanded Universe
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (07-16-2015), Janet (07-16-2015), JoeP (07-16-2015)
Old 07-16-2015, 06:16 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

Do you think they'll give her six Emmys on account of playing (at least) six characters?

They should.
Thanks, from:
Janet (07-16-2015), JoeP (07-16-2015), LadyShea (07-16-2015)
Old 07-16-2015, 11:37 PM

Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (07-17-2015)
Old 09-27-2015, 08:32 PM
puzzler

Season 3 is at last released in the UK.

It's on BBC3 and they aired the whole series yesterday and today. I don't think it's on our Netflix yet but in the UK you can use the (free) BBC catch-up service (iPlayer) to watch the programs for the next three weeks or so.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:20 PM
Solipsist

Unless you have already obtained them some other way and watched them :shiftier:

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Thanks, from:
Janet (09-30-2015), slimshady2357 (09-29-2015), Watser? (09-29-2015)
Old 06-21-2016, 10:23 PM

So I dunno who all kept up with this but if you haven’t been you need to get back onto it. Season four was probably the best season since the first one. It’s definitely the twistiest, turniest season of the show yet and they did a great job unfolding the show’s myth arc to a degree they hadn’t done during any season in the past. If anything we definitely got more answers than questions this season, which is probably the first time this has happened during the show run, and yet the season finale still ended in a suitably shocking enough way that it’s anyone’s guess how things will end up.

To be honest, the show isn’t quite as unpredictable as it was now when it first started, but I’m honestly fine with that. I don’t think it’s even supposed to be as unpredictable, since a number of plot developments have been pretty blatantly foreshadowed (especially if you know your classical mythology - the swan symbolism has not been even remotely subtle). They still throw enough curveballs that the show unmistakably feels like Orphan Black. And the cast remains superb, especially Maslany. If she doesn’t get an Emmy either this season or next it will be the most absurd snub in the history of the awards bar none. Fun fact: She had the flu while they were filming the last episode this season. Not that you can tell.

This is still my favourite show on television and I’m incredibly pleased the ratings have been good enough that they’ll be able to tell the story they want to tell on their own terms. The plan was always for a five-season arc and that’s exactly how long the show will end up running. If you haven’t watched this show, you’ve been missing out.

“All for ourselves, and nothing for other people, seems, in every age of the world, to have been the vile maxim of the masters of mankind.” -Adam Smith

Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (06-22-2016), fragment (06-22-2016), Janet (06-23-2016), JoeP (06-22-2016), Miisa (06-22-2016)
Old 09-19-2016, 03:47 AM

Welp, the Emmys finally redeemed themselves for not giving Maslany Best Actress in a Drama Series the past three seasons. I can sleep more easily now.

Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (09-19-2016), Janet (09-21-2016), JoeP (09-19-2016), slimshady2357 (09-19-2016)
Old 09-19-2016, 10:29 AM
forever in search of dill pickle doritos

It's about time!

As a testament to just how good Tatiana Maslany really is, I saw the picture below and had the following train of thought:

A photo posted by Tom Cullen (@tom_cullen) on

"Hmm, who is that guy on the left again? I know he's on the show ... oh it's Donnie! Didn't recognise him with the glasses I guess... where is Alison then?"

:doh:
Old 08-14-2017, 07:11 PM
puzzler

I just watched the last episode of the final series.

I think it ran for perhaps a couple of seasons too many. There were more characters than were really necessary and the plots became increasingly unbelievable and difficult to follow.

There are tons of loose ends left after the finale - but I suppose they were never going to be able to tie them all up after the plots became increasingly complex for the latter series.

Anyway, I didn't give up on it and saw it through to the end. It will be interesting to see what Tatiana Maslany does next.
Old 02-10-2021, 04:39 PM
California Sober

Hey! Has anybody heard about this awesome show, Orphan Black?

In my defense, it and Orange is the New Black were both out at the same time, and I was late to that one too, and they're both like 5 seasons at least.

This one is better. I wish I had found it first, but I have found it now. We are through season 2 and remain totally riveted. :popcorn:

Also why didn't anybody tell me that Daario 2.0 was the nerdy writer brother on Hill House? Teh hotness blew my mind. What a difference hairscaping makes. :faint:
BrotherMan (02-10-2021), fragment (02-10-2021), JoeP (02-10-2021), slimshady2357 (02-10-2021)
Old 02-10-2021, 05:25 PM
Solipsist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign Steve View Post
Hey! Has anybody heard about this awesome show, Orphan Black?
:fennec:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign Steve View Post
Also why didn't anybody tell me that Daario 2.0 was the nerdy writer brother on Hill House? Teh hotness blew my mind. What a difference hairscaping makes. :faint:
I didn't bother telling you because it seemed pretty obvious.

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (02-10-2021), Ensign Steve (02-10-2021)
Old 02-10-2021, 08:48 PM
California Sober

Also it has Ensign Ro, whom I recognized from her name in the credits, but bey recognized when she showed up on screen. I really barely recognize her in her face, a little more in her voice.

But it's like you can't cast all these other gorgeous brunette women like Michelle Forbes and whoever was Art's partner after Beth, and then expect me to grock that Ensign Ro's daughter is a younger clone (is the actor the same as Rachel in the home videos?), and not just her own gorgeous biological daughter.

Speaking of gorgeous daughters, yes Kira is the biggest bad-ass in the show. Running cons, stealing phones, she is owning the world at age 8. I'm looking forward to learning more about Cal. It seems like he has a couple of identities. :chin:

Starting season 3 now. :popcorn:
BrotherMan (02-11-2021)

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature