Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > The Sciences

Old 07-17-2010, 12:05 AM
Reality Adventurer

Default Re: EduTube

An interesting talk on Quantum Information and the Foundations of Quantum Mechanics

Newton Lecture 2008
Thanks, from:
Crumb (07-17-2010), Stormlight (07-17-2010)
Old 07-17-2010, 01:04 AM
Reality Adventurer

This is another in the Newton Lecture series by Guth, who gives a very good account of why Omega should be and is found to be 1 based on inflation as a prequel event to the so-called big bang.

Newton lecture 2009
Thanks, from:
Stormlight (07-17-2010)
Old 07-17-2010, 08:57 PM
Reality Adventurer

Default RadioLAB

I don't know if anyone here knows about this radio show on neuroscience called RadioLAB but it is fascinating.
Thanks, from:
Stormlight (07-18-2010)
Old 08-17-2010, 10:43 PM
Adequately Crumbulent

from JREF on Vimeo.

viscousmemories (08-18-2010)
Old 09-18-2010, 09:27 PM
puzzler

I just listened to an interesting BBC radio documentary about Richard Feynman. The documentary mentioned a series of short (ten to twelve minutes each) TV programs that the BBC made and broadcast in 1983. The series is titled 'Fun to Imagine' and consists of Feynman talking about various interesting topics.

The talks are available on the BBC website at BBC - Archive - BBC Archive Collections but may not be available outside the UK :chin:

Anyway, I found them on YouTube too. :phew: Here's the first (of six) programs and you'll find links to the other five via YouTube if you're interested.

Thanks, from:
Crumb (09-20-2010)
Old 09-30-2010, 12:10 AM
Reality Adventurer

An interesting episode revealing the fundamental importance of language. There are several cases of people with no language as adults but then acquired it and what it was like to be without language.

RadioLab - Words

Last edited by naturalist.atheist; 09-30-2010 at 12:21 AM.
Old 10-16-2010, 03:15 PM
Reality Adventurer

This is not a science video and it seems to me to be biased, it does appear to be educational.

God In America: Watch the Full Program Online | PBS
Old 11-16-2010, 03:10 AM
Reality Adventurer

Interesting video.

The Poetry of Science: Neil deGrasse Tyson & Richard Dawkins - RDFRS Productions - RDFRS - RichardDawkins.net

Tyson also has a dim view of philosophy.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:49 PM
Mr. Condescending Dick Nose

Kael (11-29-2010)
Old 11-30-2010, 01:44 PM
Spiffiest wanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalist.atheist View Post
If true, that would make Tyson an idiot, then. Are you sure you aren't referring to Mike Tyson?

As for Dawkins, every philosphically educated person, including atheist philosophers, know what a joke his "God Delusion" book was.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:50 PM
the internet says I'm right

It's not true. I can see how good 'ole n.a would interpret his one comment on philosophy that way, but I don't think that's what he was saying at all. His comment was basically that philosophy can't help us advance our understanding of physics anymore, even though it remained useful in many other areas.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:07 PM
Spiffiest wanger

Quote:

Stripping off his street clothes and donning boxing gloves and trunks during an appearance on “Larry King Live,” the former boxing champ Mike Tyson demonstrated how he’d “fuck up Arthur Schopenhauer big-time” if the German pessimistic philosopher were still alive and could be induced to step into the ring with Tyson.

Mike Tyson Has a Dim View of Philosophy

FREETHOUGHT-FORUM.COM (Internet News Service) — Mike Tyson has a dim view of philosophy.

The former boxing champ dropped the bombshell revelation on Thursday night during an appearance on “Larry King Live.”

“Larry, I have a dim view of philosophy,” Tyson told his host, who looked stunned by the candid and wholly unexpected revelation.

“I mean, Larry, look, the issue of future semantic settledness (FSS) is undoubtedly a fraught one and touches on — even plays havoc with — our deepest intuitions concerning linguistics, epistemology, ontology and indeed whether the future in some sense actually exists,” Tyson conceded. “But it’s nowhere near as interesting as biting off a man’s ear in the boxing ring.”

Reflecting further, Tyson wondered aloud: “Does truth supervene on being? I don’t know. But I’ll tell you this: if some motherfucker gets in my face, my fist is gonna supervene on his head.”

Tyson expounded his conviction that philosophy has “little place” in the hustle and bustle of the modern world, and said that he agreed with the physicist Stephen Hawking who, in his recent book “The Grand Design,” wrote that “philosophy is dead.”

“Or — put it this way,” Tyson went on. “If philosophy ain’t dead, if it stepped into the ring with me, it would be dead.”

Hammering a fist up and down, Tyson elaborated: “I’d pound philosophy’s head all the way down into its rectum, so that the next thing philosophy knew, philosophy would be staring out at the world through the aperture of its own asshole. Bam! Bam! Bam! That’s what I’m talkin’ about, man!”

King asked Tyson what he thought of Descartes’ “Cogito ergo sum,” and Tyson sang out mockingly: “Oh, look at me, I’m Rene Fucking Faggot Descartes – what kind of name for a dude is ‘Rene’? – and I be all like, ‘I think, therefore I am.’ I’ll tell you what, Larry” – Tyson paused to punch a hole through a nearby wall – “I hit, therefore I am! How you like them apples?”

Tyson also mocked Leibniz's Monadology, saying, “monads is what you got when you ain’t got no gonads,” and derided Nietzsche as “a prancing pussy bitch who prolly never got laid in his life.”

Tyson confirmed rumors that he had gotten the phrase “existence precedes essence” tattooed on his left buttock while in prison, but called the episode “just a lark, the result of a bet.”

While dismissive of philosophy in general, Tyson conceded that he had a soft spot “for the philosophical doctrine of moral nihilism.”
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (12-03-2010), But (12-04-2010), Doctor X (12-06-2010), inland wave (12-03-2010), lisarea (12-03-2010), livius drusus (12-03-2010), Nullifidian (12-04-2010), SharonDee (12-04-2010), Sock Puppet (12-06-2010), The Man (12-07-2010), viscousmemories (12-04-2010), Watser? (12-07-2010)
Old 12-03-2010, 08:16 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

Oh hey this is a good thrad.

I posted this yesterday, but then YouTube disappeared it for the NSFW half-second because they're babbys. Here it is again, not on YouTube.

Thanks, from:
SharonDee (12-04-2010), viscousmemories (12-04-2010)
Old 12-04-2010, 12:36 AM
Reality Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
Quote:

Stripping off his street clothes and donning boxing gloves and trunks during an appearance on “Larry King Live,” the former boxing champ Mike Tyson demonstrated how he’d “fuck up Arthur Schopenhauer big-time” if the German pessimistic philosopher were still alive and could be induced to step into the ring with Tyson.

FREETHOUGHT-FORUM.COM (Internet News Service) — Mike Tyson has a dim view of philosophy.

The former boxing champ dropped the bombshell revelation on Thursday night during an appearance on “Larry King Live.”

“Larry, I have a dim view of philosophy,” Tyson told his host, who looked stunned by the candid and wholly unexpected revelation.

“I mean, Larry, look, the issue of future semantic settledness (FSS) is undoubtedly a fraught one and touches on — even plays havoc with — our deepest intuitions concerning linguistics, epistemology, ontology and indeed whether the future in some sense actually exists,” Tyson conceded. “But it’s nowhere near as interesting as biting off a man’s ear in the boxing ring.”

Reflecting further, Tyson wondered aloud: “Does truth supervene on being? I don’t know. But I’ll tell you this: if some motherfucker gets in my face, my fist is gonna supervene on his head.”

Tyson expounded his conviction that philosophy has “little place” in the hustle and bustle of the modern world, and said that he agreed with the physicist Stephen Hawking who, in his recent book “The Grand Design,” wrote that “philosophy is dead.”

“Or — put it this way,” Tyson went on. “If philosophy ain’t dead, if it stepped into the ring with me, it would be dead.”

Hammering a fist up and down, Tyson elaborated: “I’d pound philosophy’s head all the way down into its rectum, so that the next thing philosophy knew, philosophy would be staring out at the world through the aperture of its own asshole. Bam! Bam! Bam! That’s what I’m talkin’ about, man!”

King asked Tyson what he thought of Descartes’ “Cogito ergo sum,” and Tyson sang out mockingly: “Oh, look at me, I’m Rene Fucking Faggot Descartes – what kind of name for a dude is ‘Rene’? – and I be all like, ‘I think, therefore I am.’ I’ll tell you what, Larry” – Tyson paused to punch a hole through a nearby wall – “I hit, therefore I am! How you like them apples?”

Tyson also mocked Leibniz's Monadology, saying, “monads is what you got when you ain’t got no gonads,” and derided Nietzsche as “a prancing pussy bitch who prolly never got laid in his life.”

Tyson confirmed rumors that he had gotten the phrase “existence precedes essence” tattooed on his left buttock while in prison, but called the episode “just a lark, the result of a bet.”

While dismissive of philosophy in general, Tyson conceded that he had a soft spot “for the philosophical doctrine of moral nihilism.”
You seem very insecure in your faith in philosophy.
Old 12-04-2010, 12:49 AM
Spiffiest wanger

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You seem to utterly lack a sense of humor, among your other notable lacks. :yup:

As for me, I often crack me up. :D
Old 12-04-2010, 01:21 PM
Not as smart as Adam

Why was "The God Delusion" a joke? Philosophically speaking?
Old 12-04-2010, 03:30 PM
Reality Adventurer

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You seem to utterly lack a sense of humor, among your other notable lacks. :yup:

As for me, I often crack me up. :D
I certainly lack your sense of humor. I bet you laugh when someone says the word 'duty'.
Old 12-04-2010, 03:32 PM
Reality Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadlokd View Post
Pay davidm no attention. He is just doing philosophy. You see the way philosophers determine what is and is not philosophy is by insult. This is why davidm likes philosophy so much.
Old 12-04-2010, 04:25 PM
Spiffiest wanger

Quote:
I certainly lack your sense of humor. I bet you laugh when someone says the word 'duty'.
I have no idea what the second sentence means. If you can't find my satire on Mike Tyson and philosophy funny, you're in sad shape. Your probably have gloomy and suicidal thoughts watching "The Simpsons."
Old 12-04-2010, 04:33 PM
Reality Adventurer

Quote:
Quote:
I have no idea what the second sentence means. If you can't find my satire on Mike Tyson and philosophy funny, you're in sad shape. Your probably have gloomy and suicidal thoughts watching "The Simpsons."
No. But I guess you fail to see the humor in it because you didn't say it. Maybe you should ask a philosopher to explain it to you.
Old 12-04-2010, 04:37 PM
Mr. Condescending Dick Nose

Quote:
If you can't find my satire on Mike Tyson and philosophy funny, you're in sad shape.
I'm pretty sure that Nat can see the joke there as well as the next man (though if I were you I'd think twice before giving up the day job), but he can also see what a non-argument it is.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:40 PM
Spiffiest wanger

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadlokd View Post
Pay davidm no attention. He is just doing philosophy. You see the way philosophers determine what is and is not philosophy is by insult. This is why davidm likes philosophy so much.
Yep, let's do some philosophy.

Debunking Dawkins.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:41 PM
Spiffiest wanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickthinks View Post
Quote:
If you can't find my satire on Mike Tyson and philosophy funny, you're in sad shape.
I'm pretty sure that Nat can see the joke there as well as the next man (though if I were you I'd think twice before giving up the day job), but he can also see what a non-argument it is.
I understand that an "insanely literal" person like yourself can't see that the satire was not intended as any kind of arguemnt.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:07 PM
the internet says I'm right

Quote:
Quote:
I have no idea what the second sentence means.
A bit of dated pop-culture humor. 'duty' sounds similar to a particular euphemism for poop. Usually it is the dim character or the stoner who finds it amusing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickthinks
Speaking only for myself, at this point I am perfectly willing to value humor (this is not a comment on the humor value, if any, in davidm's 'Tyson' post) over attempting to make reasonable discussion or argument with n.a on the subject of philosophy. He is conditioned, whether by himself or someone else, to wholly reject anything containing that word, or that can be linked backed to it.

Until he can overcome this barrier to his thought process, I don't see the point in trying. The fact that n.a often seems to lack a sense of humor about himself, much like you as a matter of fact, only heightens the enjoyment of using jokes and satire.

I think his post of the Tyson-Dawkins discussion is an excellent example of what I'm talking about. It was a fairly interesting discussion and I'm glad he posted it. Instead of talking about some of that interesting stuff, however, he opted to latch on to the single mention of philosophy in the discussion that could be interpreted as reinforcing his disdain for the word. I don't see anything wrong at all with poking fun at that, and though davidm's attempt did not leave me holding my sides and peeing myself, I think it was a good effort for an internet discussion board like the Free Talk Thought Forum & Chat Emporium.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:13 PM
Spiffiest wanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kael View Post
I don't see anything wrong at all with poking fun at that, and though davidm's attempt did not leave me holding my sides and peeing myself, I think it was a good effort for an internet discussion board like the Free Talk Thought Forum & Chat Emporium.
I cracked me up, though, which is the main thing. :D

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > The Sciences