Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
Bump
Quote:
Bumping for the third time

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl
There should be at least one case where a loving dog (such as the one in the link I provided) can recognize his master from a picture or video by showing some kind of recognition; a wag of the tail, whimpering, jumping up and down.
Look at all these Skyping and Facetiming dogs. So, please interpret whether these dogs recognized their masters or not according to your astute observational abilities. Also, before you say "they recognized their voice", I agree. But, I should think if the dog recognized only the voice and not the video image, they would be running around searching elsewhere for the source of the voice (the speakers or behind the computer or something), rather than looking at the screen as they do. In fact, I think the dogs seemed upset and confused that they could see a familiar person on the screen but not interact with the real person

These are links to the YouTube videos. You need to click on them to view them. I would like you to analyze each one

1. Skyping Dog - YouTube
2. Dogs Skyping - YouTube
3. His Master's voice.....Dog on phone (Skype)! - YouTube
4. Talking to my dog through Skype - YouTube
5. My dog Muffin talks to me on Skype - YouTube
6. Skype Pooch - YouTube
7. Dog skyping - YouTube
8. Apple Facetime with Venus :) - YouTube

These are embedded so you can watch them right here

9. This dog follows commands given via Skype and looks at the screen
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qtWz5xR83Xs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10. This one brings his master a sock to the screen
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KHkO5SzeFbE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

These are also embedded

11. When this person flips the phone screen to face herself and turns on the back camera to show the dog, so the dog can't see the screen but we can see the dog, the dog tries to turn the screen back to where she can see. Why would she do that?
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/C8LEUKYrpAI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. This guy doesn't even talk, the dog is reacting only to the screen
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FHE7DmvvUa8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13. This one paws at the screen
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RjRy50QjHaM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

14. This one follows his master's commands
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sZFuf3NE0mk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

15. This one fetches a toy to bring to the iPad image of her Mama
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bScnzNMHHik" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

So there are 15 videos of dogs Skyping and Facetiming and paying close attention to the screen and/or wagging their tails, jumping, barking and whining. There are tons more available, including dogs Skyping and Facetiming with other dogs.
Look at this one. The dog tries to identify the owner by smelling the screen. When she can't, she cocks her head in confusion. I can't see the video that you want me to look at again because it's no showing up on my screen. Could you give it to me again?

Dog skyping - YouTube
Yes, she is confused because she can see the person and hear them, but the person isn't really there at all. She is confused by technology because she is a fricking dog

Even kids have been confused by video, because they don't intuitively understand why they can see something that isn't really there

And what do you mean you can't see "the video"? I have 15 videos there, numbered even.

If you can't see the embeds, copy the link part such as YouTube and paste it into an address bar
This one is no different from all the other ones. The dog is responding to his master's commands. Dogs also see something on the screen where the sound is coming from and will approach it as often occurs, but that doesn't mean that without the voice, the dog will recognize his master. I'll go through the other ones.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:45 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Default Re: A revolution in thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
No problem, but you'll have to link me to each one again. they aren't showing up on my screen.
Why do I have the sneaking suspicion that you just don't want to look at the video, and are lying about them not showing up on your screen? Oh! I know, it's because you have repeatedly lied before about evidence that proved you to be wrong. Your basic dishonesty is not going to help when you ask people to believe what you and Lessans are saying. This is just another way for you to avoid recognizing evidence that disproves your fathers claims.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc View Post
Quote:
Why don't they have experiment after experiment to prove that dogs recognize their masters when they respond to their voice? Because it's obvious that dogs can do this.
It is not obvious that dogs can do this, and it is being tested to see if they do and how well. That you are not aware of the experiments being done, does not mean that they are not being done. However for your comfort, you are exibiting a very common form of willful ignorance, in that if you are not aware of something it doesn't exist. I have encountered many people who believe that they know everything there is to know, when in fact they know very little and usually much less that I know, and I admit that I know very little compaired to all there is to know. Even on subjects on which I feel that I am well versed, I am constantly discovering new and interesting information, I'm still learning, and hope to never stop. But I can see that you refuse to learn anything new, beyond your fathers book.
That's not true at all thedoc. I can easily admit what I don't know, and I'm sure there are more things I don't know than the things I do know, but we're talking about the specifics of this book and what's in it and that is something I do know about. Just because I refuse to agree with what I don't agree with, you say I'm willfully ignorant. Sorry but that's not an accurate definition.

Last edited by peacegirl; 06-11-2013 at 11:35 PM.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:57 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
This one is no different from all the other ones. The dog is responding to his master's commands. Dogs also see something on the screen where the sound is coming from and will approach it as often occurs, but that doesn't mean that without the voice, the dog will recognize his master. I'll go through the other ones.
You claim that you cannot see the other videos, yet you claim that this one is no different than the others, How do you know it's no different if you can't see them, and 4 minutes is certainly not enough time to review all the 15 videos. You were just flat out lying when you said you couldn't see them, you just wanted to deny the evidence that proves that you are wrong. Your signature should be "Dishonest Weasel", and I am fast loosing patience with you, and I have long ago lost any sympathy for you.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Quote:
No problem, but you'll have to link me to each one again. they aren't showing up on my screen.
Why do I have the sneaking suspicion that you just don't want to look at the video, and are lying about them not showing up on your screen? Oh! I know, it's because you have repeatedly lied before about evidence that proved you to be wrong. Your basic dishonesty is not going to help when you ask people to believe what you and Lessans are saying. This is just another way for you to avoid recognizing evidence that disproves your fathers claims.
I saw every single video, and not one indicates that the dog can recognize his master from sight alone. Even the one where the guy makes faces and barks softly, the dog starts barking back and gets excited but this is no proof that the dog recognizes who is on the screen. To a dog a computer is a strange contraption so you would expect some reaction when the dog hears a voice coming from it. It's not surprising then that a dog would try to get the iphone back from the girl. He was obviously having a good time hearing the voices, and she suddenly took away his toy.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Quote:
You claim that you cannot see the other videos, yet you claim that this one is no different than the others, How do you know it's no different if you can't see them, and 4 minutes is certainly not enough time to review all the 15 videos. You were just flat out lying when you said you couldn't see them, you just wanted to deny the evidence that proves that you are wrong. Your signature should be "Dishonest Weasel", and I am fast loosing patience with you, and I have long ago lost any sympathy for you.
I watched all the embedded videos and I will watch them all over again later on. They are interesting and cute but they do not prove that Lessans is wrong. I know you can't stand that. Too bad.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:04 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Quote:
this is no proof that the dog recognizes who is on the screen.
I didn't say it was proof of anything. I prefer the controlled scientific studies for evidence.

I said it showed exactly what you told me you would consider to be proof. You are the one who has been yelling for Skype videos, you are the one claiming dogs should behave a certain way, and I gave you the evidence where they behaved exactly as you thought they should in every example.

You want to backpeddle and change your criteria and be a weasel and a liar, that's on you. No skin off my nose. Probably doesn't look so good when you start marketing the book.
Thanks, from:
Dragar (06-12-2013)
Old 06-11-2013, 07:11 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Why don't they have experiment after experiment to prove that dogs recognize their masters when they respond to their voice? Because it's obvious that dogs can do this.
It is not obvious that dogs can do this, and it is being tested to see if they do and how well. That you are not aware of the experiments being done, does not mean that they are not being done. However for your comfort, you are exibiting a very common form of willful ignorance, in that if you are not aware of something it doesn't exist. I have encountered many people who believe that they know everything there is to know, when in fact they know very little and usually much less that I know, and I admit that I know very little compaired to all there is to know. Even on subjects on which I feel that I am well versed, I am constantly discovering new and interesting information, I'm still learning, and hope to never stop. But I can see that you refuse to learn anything new, beyond your fathers book.
That's not true at all thedoc. I can easily admit what I don't know, and I'm sure I don't know more than I know, but we're talking about the specifics of this book and what's in it. Just because I refuse to agree with what I don't agree with, you say I'm willfully ignorant. Sorry but that's not an accurate definition.
The book is the only thing you know and that is completely wrong on so many points that everything you think you know is incorrect. You don't realize it but you are basicly at the point of 0 knowledge and it would be to your benefit to start to learn something, so that you are not totally ignorant of everything.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Here's what you said
Quote:
Quote:
How would you know, for sure, if a dog recognized his master on Skype?
The same way we saw how the dog recognized his master coming home from the war in real life. The dog loved his master very much (which is why he would be a good test subject) and would show recognition on a video or a picture the same way, especially after not seeing his master in many months.
Quote:
The dog recognizes the smell of the sock as being his owner's even though he doesn't treat the sock like it's his owner. But a dog does not recognize the representation on the screen as his owner without other cues present.
You are contradicting yourself every time you post.

Once again we are back to "How would you know and determine if they recognize a person in a photograph"? So let's add, "how would you know and determine if they recognize their master's smell from a sock"? How do you know? How do you make the determination?

If you don't expect a dog to treat a sock as a real person you cannot expect them to treat a photograph as a real person, so, your previously mentioned criteria of "The same way we saw how the dog recognized his master coming home from the war in real life" can't possibly be right.

So, try again
Old 06-11-2013, 07:47 PM

Quote:
It's not surprising then that a dog would try to get the iphone back from the girl. He was obviously having a good time hearing the voices, and she suddenly took away his toy.

The phone was still there and voices still audible (iPhone speakers can be heard just as easily from the back of the phone), the picture was simply turned away from the dog. He tried to turn it back around so he could see the screen rather than the back of the phone

He wanted to see the faces. Why would he do that?
Old 06-11-2013, 07:48 PM
Jin, Gi, Rei, Ko, Chi, Shin, Tei

Not only are the goalposts flying now, but they apparently have rocket boosters attached.
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (06-11-2013)
Old 06-11-2013, 08:21 PM
Vice Cobra Assistant Commander

The revolution in thought involves whether or not a dog can recognize images now? Sigh. Free will sure is complicated.
Thanks, from:
ceptimus (06-11-2013), ChristinaM (06-11-2013), Dragar (06-12-2013), LadyShea (06-11-2013), Pan Narrans (06-12-2013), Spacemonkey (06-11-2013), Stephen Maturin (06-11-2013), The Lone Ranger (06-11-2013)
Old 06-11-2013, 10:43 PM
Flyover Hillbilly

:abesimpson:

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ~ S. Gecko

"What the fuck is a German muffin?" ~ R. Swanson
Thanks, from:
Adam (06-12-2013), ChristinaM (06-13-2013), Dragar (06-12-2013), LadyShea (06-12-2013)
Old 06-11-2013, 10:45 PM
I'll be benched for a week if I keep these shenanigans up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey View Post
Quote:
You're lost Spacemonkey. I will say again that time has nothing to do with this account of vision. How can it when the pattern is not reflected?
You're still quite deliberately ignoring the problem. I didn't say anything about reflecting a pattern, and time becomes a factor as soon as you say the photons at one place came from some other place - because that means they had to be located at that other place at some previous time.

The problem again: On your account the photons at the retina could not have been located at the Sun because there is no time at which they could have been located there. The photons cannot be located at the Sun at the very same time that these very same photons are also at the retina, and they cannot have been at the Sun before this time because the Sun was not ignited before then. Your claim that there will be photons instantaneously at the retina at the very moment the Sun is first ignited is inconsistent with your claim that they came from the Sun. The problem has nothing at all to do with reflected or traveling images. It only concerns your impossible claims about where light can be at different points in time. If the light is instantly at the retina as soon as the newly ignited Sun ignites, then this light cannot possibly have come from the Sun.

Quote:
I am not begging you to share his observations. I can see that his observations are correct for myself. [...] this has nothing to do with faith.
Yes you are, no you can't, and yes it does. You have nothing but faith, and you are constantly asking us to share it by believing things you cannot support. All you are doing is begging us to share your irrational faith in your father's ability. If you want people to believe his 'observations' were correct then you will need to find someway to support them with either evidence or arguments. If you can't, then you lose.

Quote:
This is not a presupposition Spacemonkey. This is also not a premise because it's not an assumption which has to be supported. You never answered my question: Is the fact that we cannot undo what has already been done a premise, or is this an accurate observation?
You never asked me that question before. But I did explain to you that only tautologies can be known to be true just by considering them, and that your father's claims about conscience are not tautologies - so if you want them accepted you will need to support them. His claim that conscience has some innate potential perfection that it would achieve in the absence of blame is a presupposition because his arguments require this to be true, and yet he did not argue for or support this claim in any way. Unlike you, I will not just accept that his claims or 'observations' are correct because he said so. You need to be able to support them if you expect anyone to believe them.

Quote:
I will say one last time that this observation did not involve a presupposition.
Say it all you like, it still isn't true. Tautologies such as those you listed can indeed be self-evident and seen to be true just by considering them carefully. But nothing of interest can be proved from them. His presuppositions concerning conscience however, are not of this sort. They are not tautologies, and so they are not self-evident. If you expect people to accept them then you'll need to start supporting them. Lessans never bothered to, and that is why no-one finds his claims convincing.

Quote:
Don't threaten me Spacemonkey.
I didn't threaten you. What are you talking about?

Quote:
I will do what I want to do, and so far you've given me no reason to want to send this book to you and waste my money. You told me you aren't reading it, so why should I send it?
Your reason for sending it never had anything to do with me reading it, so why do you keep using this bogus excuse?

Quote:
You also told me that the universities wouldn't touch it because it doesn't meet epistemic standards.
Again I'll ask you to show me where you think I said this. Why do you keep making shit up?

Yes, I think the book is worthless. I've never hidden that or claimed anything different. Yet this has no bearing at all on the reason you had for sending me the book, which was not being sent for my benefit but to help you get it read by those in a position to validate it. If you have any integrity at all, you'll either send the book as per our agreement, or if you really can't financially afford to keep your word, just stop making up bogus excuses and say so.
Bump.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:18 PM

Quote:
The videos are just home videos, peacegirl, not scientific tests. Exactly what you've been asking for all along. Where's your analyses of the dog's behavior?

You are displaying your pathological dishonesty so blatantly that anyone who ever reads this thread will know you for a purposefully ignorant weasel
I know they are home videos, but there was the sound of their master's voice. I gave my analysis. Not one of them proves that the eyes are a sense organ.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:22 PM

Quote:
They're confused because they hear the voice but cannot recognize the face. They can tell the voice is not coming from somewhere else in the house, which is why they aren't running around looking for the source of the voice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea
Why are they staring at the screen?
Because they hear their master speaking. One dog went up and tried to smell the screen. Another dog went around the computer looking for his master. Why would he do that if he could recognize his master on the screen?
Quote:
They are wagging their tails, jumping, barking, whining, and even taking commands, but there are none that show the dog recognizing a face without other cues such as sound.
Quote:
You never said that they must be silent videos, but the Golden retriever barking at the person on the screen, the person doesn't talk at all.
How many times have I said that any cues that can help a dog identify his master other than sight have to be removed? I said a still video frame would be good because it would be similar to a photograph with no smell, movement or sound to distract them.

Quote:
Why are the dogs looking at the screens at all if its only the voice they are reacting to?
Because they hear their master's voice. They know it's coming the computer but when they go up to the screen there's nothing there, so they get confused.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivisectus View Post
Quote:
You don't see the way science is trying to support their own theories? Why don't they do this with the ears, or taste or touch? Because there is no doubt that there is a direct connection between what comes in and what the brain interprets. As far as the eyes, there is some controversy. They are trying to convince themselves that the eyes are a sense organ, which is taken for granted by science so they are trying to confirm this belief. Hellooooooo? Why would they perform so many different tests if they were absolutely sure? Because they are not sure
This is bordering on the delusional - even for you.
No it isn't. Why are they working so hard to prove dogs can recognize their masters unless it's not obvious?

Because it is not obvious, just as it is not obvious that dogs cannot recognize their masters face in a photo. These tests are being done to find out how much dogs can recognize and how well.
And I'm the one that's gullible? You don't see how trusting you all are, just like the fundies you despise. As long as science says it's so, even when their tests are obviously flawed or inconclusive, you believe it.
I see that reading comprehension is not your strong suit. I do not say so, and science does not say so, but so far all the tests point to the conclusion that dogs do recognize their masters faces in a photo, and that is why the tests continue to confirm the results that have been done with more and better precision. In science an experiment or test is not once and done, there is a continuing effort to refine the results and obtain more accurate data. A theory is never finished, there is always constant testing, and experimentation to refine the results and learn more.
The tests do not point to the conclusion that dogs can recognize their master's faces in a photo. You're wrong here.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:30 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Quote:
The videos are just home videos, peacegirl, not scientific tests. Exactly what you've been asking for all along. Where's your analyses of the dog's behavior?

You are displaying your pathological dishonesty so blatantly that anyone who ever reads this thread will know you for a purposefully ignorant weasel
I know they are home videos, but there was the sound of their master's voice. I gave my analysis. Not one of them proves that the eyes are a sense organ.

You are right these videos do not prove that a dog can recognize it's master from a video or a photo, for that we turn to the scientists who are doing controlled experiments and tests that do prove that dogs can recognize their master in a photo. Your ignorance of these experiments and tests does not mean that they do not exist or have not been done, it only proves that you are unwilling to see the evidence that exists, willful ignorance.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Bump
Quote:
Bumping for the third time

Quote:
There should be at least one case where a loving dog (such as the one in the link I provided) can recognize his master from a picture or video by showing some kind of recognition; a wag of the tail, whimpering, jumping up and down.
Look at all these Skyping and Facetiming dogs. So, please interpret whether these dogs recognized their masters or not according to your astute observational abilities. Also, before you say "they recognized their voice", I agree. But, I should think if the dog recognized only the voice and not the video image, they would be running around searching elsewhere for the source of the voice (the speakers or behind the computer or something), rather than looking at the screen as they do. In fact, I think the dogs seemed upset and confused that they could see a familiar person on the screen but not interact with the real person

These are links to the YouTube videos. You need to click on them to view them. I would like you to analyze each one

1. Skyping Dog - YouTube
2. Dogs Skyping - YouTube
3. His Master's voice.....Dog on phone (Skype)! - YouTube
4. Talking to my dog through Skype - YouTube
5. My dog Muffin talks to me on Skype - YouTube
6. Skype Pooch - YouTube
7. Dog skyping - YouTube
8. Apple Facetime with Venus :) - YouTube

These are embedded so you can watch them right here

9. This dog follows commands given via Skype and looks at the screen
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qtWz5xR83Xs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10. This one brings his master a sock to the screen
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KHkO5SzeFbE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

These are also embedded

11. When this person flips the phone screen to face herself and turns on the back camera to show the dog, so the dog can't see the screen but we can see the dog, the dog tries to turn the screen back to where she can see. Why would she do that?
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/C8LEUKYrpAI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. This guy doesn't even talk, the dog is reacting only to the screen
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FHE7DmvvUa8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13. This one paws at the screen
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RjRy50QjHaM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

14. This one follows his master's commands
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sZFuf3NE0mk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

15. This one fetches a toy to bring to the iPad image of her Mama
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bScnzNMHHik" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

So there are 15 videos of dogs Skyping and Facetiming and paying close attention to the screen and/or wagging their tails, jumping, barking and whining. There are tons more available, including dogs Skyping and Facetiming with other dogs.
Look at this one. The dog tries to identify the owner by smelling the screen. When she can't, she cocks her head in confusion. I can't see the video that you want me to look at again because it's no showing up on my screen. Could you give it to me again?

Dog skyping - YouTube
Yes, she is confused because she can see the person and hear them, but the person isn't really there at all. She is confused by technology because she is a fricking dog
Exactly, and she doesn't have the same capabilities that humans have. Her strong point is her olfactory system and auditory systems, whereas ours is our eyesight.

Quote:
Even kids have been confused by video, because they don't intuitively understand why they can see something that isn't really there
Children can recognize people in photographs and videos. Now you're stretching it. A child would quickly point to a still frame and show recognition by saying "mommy".

Quote:
And what do you mean you can't see "the video"? I have 15 videos there, numbered even.

If you can't see the embeds, copy the link part such as YouTube and paste it into an address bar
That's what I've been doing. They are funny videos I must say. It made me giggle seeing how dogs react.

Last edited by peacegirl; 06-11-2013 at 11:44 PM.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:33 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Quote:
I see that reading comprehension is not your strong suit. I do not say so, and science does not say so, but so far all the tests point to the conclusion that dogs do recognize their masters faces in a photo, and that is why the tests continue to confirm the results that have been done with more and better precision. In science an experiment or test is not once and done, there is a continuing effort to refine the results and obtain more accurate data. A theory is never finished, there is always constant testing, and experimentation to refine the results and learn more.
The tests do not point to the conclusion that dogs can recognize their master's faces in a photo. You're wrong here.
And you continue to refuse to see the evidence that is right in front of you. Willful Ignorance.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Quote:
this is no proof that the dog recognizes who is on the screen.
I didn't say it was proof of anything. I prefer the controlled scientific studies for evidence.

I said it showed exactly what you told me you would consider to be proof. You are the one who has been yelling for Skype videos, you are the one claiming dogs should behave a certain way, and I gave you the evidence where they behaved exactly as you thought they should in every example.
I would consider it proof that dogs can recognize their master if they sat in front of a screen and showed signs such as excitement, wagging of the tail, whimpering. But that isn't what's happening in these videos. The dogs have so many cues that there is no way to tease out the variables. There still has to be the removal of all cues other than photons that bouncing off of the screen and traveling to the eye.

Quote:
You want to backpeddle and change your criteria and be a weasel and a liar, that's on you. No skin off my nose. Probably doesn't look so good when you start marketing the book.
I'm not lying or backpeddling at all. You must have misunderstood me. I never said there should be sound. That disqualifies all 15 videos.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Here's what you said
Quote:
Quote:
The same way we saw how the dog recognized his master coming home from the war in real life. The dog loved his master very much (which is why he would be a good test subject) and would show recognition on a video or a picture the same way, especially after not seeing his master in many months.
Quote:
The dog recognizes the smell of the sock as being his owner's even though he doesn't treat the sock like it's his owner. But a dog does not recognize the representation on the screen as his owner without other cues present.

Once again we are back to "How would you know and determine if they recognize a person in a photograph"? So let's add, "how would you know and determine if they recognize their master's smell from a sock"? How do you know? How do you make the determination?

If you don't expect a dog to treat a sock as a real person you cannot expect them to treat a photograph as a real person, so, your previously mentioned criteria of "The same way we saw how the dog recognized his master coming home from the war in real life" can't possibly be right.

So, try again
You can't compare a sock to a video. The analogy isn't right. A dog will smell a sock and go looking for his master because he recognizes the scent. A dog will not look at a screen with his master's face right in front of him and go looking for his master. He won't even recognize the image at all. Although a photograph is a representation, a dog should be able to recognize his master because the photons would be traveling to the eye and interpreted in the dog's brain. Now you're grasping at straws LadyShea.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:50 AM
I'll be benched for a week if I keep these shenanigans up.

Quote:
They are funny videos I must say. It made me giggle seeing how dogs react.
It makes me giggle to see how you react, rejecting controlled experiments by insisting upon the superiority of uncontrolled observation, and then rejecting that too when it doesn't support your faith-based preconceptions.
LadyShea (06-12-2013)
Old 06-12-2013, 02:16 AM

Keep on weaseling. You have trapped yourself into a corner with your contradictions and are crazily flailing there. Controlled experiments! Skype! The same way they react to the real person except not that at all!
Old 06-12-2013, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Here's what you said
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

So, try again
You can't compare a sock to a video. The analogy isn't right. A dog will smell a sock and go looking for his master because he recognizes the scent. A dog will not look at a screen with his master's face right in front of him and go looking for his master. He won't even recognize the image at all. Although a photograph is a representation, a dog should be able to recognize his master because the photons would be traveling to the eye and interpreted in the dog's brain.
You are the one flip flopping every post, not me. I am not the one making claims that need support, YOU ARE. I am not the one avoiding answering any basic questions related to my claims, that would be you again.

What are you answers to the questions

1. How would you know and determine if they recognize a person in a photograph?

2. How would you know and determine if they recognize their master's smell from a sock?

3. How would you know and determine if they recognize their master's voice from other voices?

Do you retract your previous answer which was "The same way we saw how the dog recognized his master coming home from the war in real life"?

What is your support for these claims?

1. He won't even recognize the image at all.
2. A dog does not recognize the representation on the screen
Quote:
I would consider it proof that dogs can recognize their master if they sat in front of a screen and showed signs such as excitement, wagging of the tail, whimpering.
Why would a dog react to an inanimate object in that way? Do you expect them to be excited and wag their tail when given a T-shirt to smell while their master is away? No you don't because you already said they can tell the difference between an inanimate object and a real person and don't react to socks like they are people.

Last edited by LadyShea; 06-12-2013 at 04:08 AM.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (06-12-2013), The Lone Ranger (06-12-2013)

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy