Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Computers & Technology

Old 08-14-2013, 03:41 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

Default Re: Pinterest, ladysplained.

Quote:
ETA Be sure to "save settings" over there. I just checked to see if Personalization stayed off after I had already changed it. It hadn't but then I realized I didn't save the changes. Now it is staying off.
OMG it's like you think she doesn't know how to computer!
Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (08-14-2013), Janet (08-14-2013), lisarea (08-14-2013), Ymir's blood (08-14-2013)
Old 08-14-2013, 03:52 AM
an angry unicorn or a non-murdering leprechaun

:lol: It is just that I made that same mistake. You didn't have to change the settings before.

The fact that I did have it on but I didn't have that problem means I probably do internet better than lisa though. :smugnod:
lisarea (08-14-2013)
Old 08-14-2013, 06:45 AM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

Yeah, the second time I changed the settings today, I did consider that maybe I'd forgotten to save the changes the first time, but I def. did then. And just checked--shitpins. Shitpins everywhere. It re-reset to yes.

I logged out and back in, and it's still showing the No saved, but it showed the No last time at least, too, so I'm not trusting it.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:10 AM
Dogehlaugher -Scrutari

Wait. Duckhouses? I better get on that shit.

You're welcome for the Groovy, Gg.
Demimonde (08-14-2013), Stormlight (09-09-2013)
Old 08-14-2013, 07:11 AM
Dogehlaugher -Scrutari

Wait. Duckhouses? I better get on that shit.

You're welcome for the Groovy, Gg.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:56 PM

OK, apparently, this feature is not optional.

Opting out of personalization just means they're not tracking your activity from other sites (it did reset that one, though, too). I am not being allowed to opt out of suggestions completely.

Is everyone else getting these, or is it a graduated rollout or some kind of test thing?
Old 08-14-2013, 04:00 PM

I hate pinterest today. I'm trying to switch it over from business use to personal use and I can change my name and delete boards but I can't seem to delete all of the people that followed me and that I followed back just to be polite. I keep doing it over and over but the count never goes down. It's pissing me off. I guess it would be faster to start all over and tell the 3 RL people that look at it what the new name is.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:12 PM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

I had to register just to be able to view the pins linked to my blog. When this madness began I could just follow from my referral logs and click the "others from The History Blog" link. A few weeks ago it stopped working. :brooding:
Old 08-14-2013, 05:43 PM

Okay, I went back and checked my settings again and it is toggled back to "yes" for personalization. :brooding: A little digging and I found this:

Quote:
Please note: Pinterest uses a cookie to remember what you choose here, so if you ever clear the cookies in your browser, you’ll need to come back and update your preferences again.
Soooo, my cookie blocker is also blocking me from changing those preferences. Ain't no thing for me though, because I haven't had any issues getting suggested pins. I am curious, have you installed the Pin It button, lisa? I had it on my last browser but haven't bothered with it on this one. I also am running NoScript.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:47 PM
Coffin Creep

Is NoScript available for Chumbies now?
Adam (08-14-2013), Stormlight (09-09-2013)
Old 08-14-2013, 05:47 PM
Dogehlaugher -Scrutari

I have a pinit button and haven't noticed any suggestions whatsoever.
I may be the last person for any updates.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demimonde View Post
Okay, I went back and checked my settings again and it is toggled back to "yes" for personalization. :brooding: A little digging and I found this:

Quote:
Please note: Pinterest uses a cookie to remember what you choose here, so if you ever clear the cookies in your browser, you’ll need to come back and update your preferences again.
Soooo, my cookie blocker is also blocking me from changing those preferences. Ain't no thing for me though, because I haven't had any issues getting suggested pins. I am curious, have you installed the Pin It button, lisa? I had it on my last browser but haven't bothered with it on this one. I also am running NoScript.
This is something different.

The Personalization feature only tells them not to follow your activities elsewhere on the web. I've got that turned off and it's stayed off for a while now.

These are recommendations based on Pinterest itself, and there is no apparent way to turn them off. I'm assuming they just haven't rolled it out to you guys yet, because if they had, you'd know it.

Just doing a quick scan on my "home feed," it is now showing 10-15 shitty hamhanded "Recommendations" to each pin from something I actually subscribed to.

I'm not a teacher. I don't like marshmallows. I don't like sitcoms, and even if I did, I'd probably prefer to just watch them instead of looking at shitty four-panels of the dumbassed jokes. I don't like Disney. I don't like cheesy Christmas decorations. I have an irrational loathing of inspirational quotes painted on walls.

Normally, I am A-OK with these things existing, but I get pretty fucking pissy when people are shoving a bunch of shit I don't like in my face.

I'm sure they'll change this before long, because it is awful and there appear to be people showing up on their Facebook page and yelling at them about it now, but I'm not OK with that kind of thing happening in the first place, so I'm going to start saving the pins I want to save and figuring something else out.
Thanks, from:
ChristinaM (08-14-2013), Crumb (08-15-2013), Demimonde (08-14-2013), Janet (08-14-2013), Ymir's blood (08-14-2013)
Old 08-14-2013, 06:22 PM

Out of the countless sappy and stupid inspirational quotes that have come my way there was only one that I liked. It said "If your heart was really broken you'd be dead so shut up". That's my kind of positive affirmation.
Thanks, from:
Adam (08-14-2013), BrotherMan (08-14-2013), Corona688 (09-27-2013), Crumb (08-15-2013), Janet (08-14-2013), Ymir's blood (08-14-2013)
Old 08-14-2013, 06:43 PM

What I don't get is how redundant and stupid that is. They already have so many ways to give some recommendations. "Also pinned to" and "People who pinned this" have dozens of pins they can direct you to.

It makes me sad though because you had some awesome stuff on there I loved seeing and reading.

Also lol at that year old pin and the idiot lady responding. If you want respect act like a lady, lisa. Geeze!
Old 08-14-2013, 08:06 PM

Well, I think the main thing is that I am not really Pinterest's target audience. I'd kind of been tweaking it all along. The first thing I did was unsubscribe to all their recommendations and then just followed a select few people and boards I liked, and then I'd do dumb tricky stuff to pin things without images and stuff. So really, mostly I'm just doing stuff they really don't want people doing there anyway.

I'm thinking I might go to pinboard or maybe even delicious again or something.
Thanks, from:
Crumb (08-15-2013), Janet (08-14-2013), Ymir's blood (08-14-2013)
Old 08-14-2013, 08:53 PM
Coffin Creep

I haven't gotten that deep into the site, but this reminds of what drives me up the wall about my browser, antivirus, Windows... constantly adding new 'features' that I doon't want and making it impossible to disable them. I am not against progress, but so much of this doesn't deserve the name. In this though, how long before these recomendations are sponsored?
Stormlight (09-09-2013)
Old 09-07-2013, 12:08 AM
Dogehlaugher -Scrutari

BAM! Motherfucking homemaking.

Mother Fucking Homemaking
Beth (09-08-2013), BrotherMan (09-07-2013), Crumb (09-07-2013), Ensign Steve (09-07-2013), Janet (09-07-2013), lisarea (09-07-2013), One for Sorrow (09-07-2013), Watser? (09-09-2013)
Old 09-08-2013, 03:30 PM
poster over sea and land

I have a Pinterest account, but I have done nothing to it. I really don't understand it. But after reading the Mother Fucking Homemaker page, I may just use it more. I used to be crafty, and I used to care, but in the past few years I have crafts to be a time guzzler. So, Pinterest has made me feel like a lazy, inept human being.
Thanks, from:
lisarea (09-08-2013), Qingdai (09-09-2013)
Old 09-09-2013, 01:37 PM
Fishy mokey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Vonnegut
I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.
Anybody!
Stormlight (09-09-2013)
Old 09-27-2013, 04:40 AM
Vaginally-privileged sociopathic cultist

haha. | cute funny

Anyone want to reply why this shit isn't a joke? I just can't, after dealing with assholes on tumblr.
lisarea (09-27-2013)
Old 10-11-2013, 02:10 AM
California Sober

So this lady from lean in shows up in my facebook feed wearing this same horrible chicken-leg blouse from old navy that I pinned to the sweetie board a million years ago and it's blowing my mind.

Let me tell you about this conference I went to in Minneapolis last week, it was so awesome. There were 4000+ women, including a bunch of my new friends like the Anita Borg scholars and that one Navy veteran and my sweet roommate from LA.

Sheryl Sanberg was the keynote speaker the first day and we saw so many good talks and demos. I went to a startup systems architecture panel with ladies from Pinterest, Etsy, Linked in, Air BnB, and square. Everybody is just so young and talented, it was mind-blowing.

There was a career fair and it was a total meat market. I accepted my offer right before they career fair launched and just breathed a huge sigh of relief going in there to party and collect swag and be courted. Some people turned their noses up at the woman-centric swag, like it was pandering or condescending or whatever, but I'm like, Fuck yeah, nail polish! Twist bands!

Alan Eustace met with all of the scholars, about 20 of us, and we told our backstories and our experiences being women in computing. He told us about Anita Borg and how she was his close friend and died so young, but she started the Systers and the Grace Hopper celebration. And they have a big dance party because Anita liked to dance and party, and it was just a bunch of nerd chicks raving out with glow sticks.

So then I come back and my professor is like, how was the conference? And I tell him about it and he's like "wait, men weren't allowed?" and I was like "they were welcome and there were a few but it was a women in computing conference." So he says to the (all male) class, "guys! You know what we need to do is have a conference that is men only!" and I said, "yeah, I've been to that one. It's called every other conference." :facepalm:
Adam (10-11-2013), Anastasia Beaverhausen (10-11-2013), BrotherMan (10-11-2013), Crumb (10-11-2013), Demimonde (10-11-2013), Janet (10-11-2013), Kael (10-12-2013), lisarea (10-11-2013), Qingdai (10-11-2013), Sock Puppet (10-11-2013), Ymir's blood (10-12-2013)
Old 10-24-2013, 08:22 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

Mrs LadyShea. I thought you might be able to use this idea for some indeterminate project in a possible future. Does Kiddo love the Minions from Despicable Me? Here's a super simple way to make an entire horde of them that is simple, cheap and also cute.

Thanks, from:
Anastasia Beaverhausen (10-24-2013), Crumb (10-24-2013), Demimonde (10-24-2013), Janet (10-25-2013), Sock Puppet (10-24-2013)

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Computers & Technology