Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature

Old 03-24-2011, 09:56 PM
Tellifying

Default DC Nation

DC may be screwing up every movie that's not Batman, but they are nailing it with animation. Now, they are parterning with Cartoon Network to present a block of DC animation and DC focused news called "DC Nation"

Quote:
Cartoon Network announced the 2012 launch of DC Nation, an on-air and online programming block of DC animation properties "populated with event programming, interstitials, exclusive behind-the-scenes of theatrical production and an insider look into the world of all things DC." The block, whose content will be produced by Warner Bros. Animation, is the latest effort under Time Warner's new mandate to better integrate DC Comics with the company's film and TV divisions.
I imagine that it will be a 2- or 3-hour block that contains new series like Young Justice and Green Lantern, as well as classics like JLU, B:TAS and Batman Beyond. And probably the occasional airing of a Warner Bros. Animation movie.

I, for one, approve this move by DC. Between the Iron Man movies and the very promising trailers of Thor and Captain America, I can't help but think DC is not doing so well on the major motion picture front, especially if Green Lantern is half as a bad as the trailers make it out to be.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:03 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

Default Re: DC Nation

This is decidedly relevant to my interest(s).
Old 03-26-2011, 11:13 AM
Tellifying

Using this thread as a catch-all for DC related news.

Apparently, I need to watch Batman: Brave and the Bold. This episode (which I missed on CN) was based on Superdickery
. Lex Luthor manages to poison Superman with Red Kryptonite, turning him into a dick. And the episode recreates some of the covers which illustrate his dickery, as seen below.

Looks like it could be fun, I need to DVR it or find it online.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:09 PM
Tellifying

Re: My previous post

Watch this while it's still up

Old 03-28-2011, 06:43 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

You diseased maniac!
Old 04-12-2011, 08:20 PM
Tellifying

WTF is up with his fucking feet?

I've seen enough of the Green Lantern costumes to realize that they're going for some kinda weird organic power suit or something. The suit looks like the underlying muscle structure of the person wearing it, but only totally SFW.

I'm betting there's some kind of story reason for it, but I can't get past how ugly these suits look.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:26 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

God, what the fucking fuck is that fucking shit? Jesus, did they not see any of the fucking comics? What the fuck.
Thanks, from:
wei yau (04-12-2011)
Old 04-12-2011, 10:50 PM
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction

It would be better if it was also form-fitting around the junk.

They should go full Dr. Manhattan.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:01 PM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

Green Thalidomide Lantern.
Thanks, from:
Deadlokd (04-18-2011)
Old 04-12-2011, 11:06 PM
Coffin Creep

I'm betting on athlete's foot medication product placement. You read it here first.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:47 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

MattKerr@ToplessRobot
In brightest day, with blackest dong!
No evil shall escape my wong!
Let those who think it isn't long,
Beware my privates: Green Lantern's schlong!
Thanks, from:
erimir (04-14-2011), Janet (04-15-2011), Kael (04-13-2011), livius drusus (04-18-2011), MonCapitan2002 (04-24-2011), Naru (04-18-2011), wei yau (04-13-2011)
Old 04-18-2011, 05:27 PM
Tellifying

I know, I know, Spidey is not part of the DC Nation. But, now I want to this to be a general comic book stuff thrad. So, deal with it.

Quote:
Marvel Comics' most popular character is getting a hip new look - and a new person wearing the webs.

"That's not Peter Parker," Marvel editor-in-chief Axel Alonso told The Post. "There's going to be someone new wearing the costume."

The new webslinger and the new look - a sleek black and red costume revealed here for the first time - will make their debut at some point this summer, after the conclusion of the ominously titled "Death of Spider-Man" storyline in June's Ultimate Spider-Man No. 160.

The comic will be polybagged, and will shake the comic book world to the core. "It's unlike anything you've seen before," Alonso said.

The shakeup marks the first time someone else will be catching thieves just like flies in the "Spider-Man" titles besides Peter (or a clone of Peter - don't ask) in the character's almost 50-year history in either the traditional "Marvel Universe" or the more recent "Ultimate Universe."

Alonso wouldn't reveal much more about the new wallcrawler - "there's significance in the color scheme," he teased - but the image's release is another bad sign for Peter Parker, who in the ten-year-old Ultimate line of comics is still a Queens high school student.
So nevermind that this will hardly shake the comic world to its core, I mean, we've seen this done before. Also, this takes place in the Ultimates universe which is already one-step removed from our primal universe.

But, any guesses as to who might be in the costume? That little clue doesn't tell me much and I've been away from the comic book universe too long to base my guesses on anyone who debuted after the '90s.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:39 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

I really want to like Spider-Man in any of his incarnations, but Marvel's treatment of the title(s) are too maddening. I can't help but think this will end in Yet Another One Last Day fiasco. Which is to say in this instance "I don't really care." Also, :lol:@theonlytimesomeoneelsehasbeenaspider.ever
Old 04-18-2011, 10:26 PM
Coffin Creep

I keep hoping that someday the insanity will end and I can return to reading comics. It seems like that day is a long way off. Polybagging and gimmicks like that are a big reason why I left. Pointless publicity stunt plot twists are another. But of course, this isn't even that ballsy as it's an alternate universe 'Ultimates' book which have already featured Scarlet Witch/Quicksilver incest and the Blob cannibalizing the Wasp...

At least the animated stuff has been pretty decent for my superhero fix.
Gonzo (06-14-2011)
Old 04-18-2011, 10:33 PM
Not as smart as Adam

He's black and has red hair. Or he's red and has black hair. :shrug:
Old 06-14-2011, 03:39 PM
It's however you interpret the question...

Location: On A Savage Journey to the Heart of the American Dream

On the bright side Red Robin's new costume is a gimmick I can get behind.

:thanked:
Old 04-19-2011, 07:46 AM

I like the costume design.

I dunno what he means about the costume design having significance tho..

The only things that come to mind is a symbiote connection, or the new Spider-Man is black. And well, the latter... :shiftier:
Old 04-22-2011, 03:22 PM
Tellifying

Here is the first Green Lantern television spot and it's supposedly changing the minds of nerdom about the movie. Me? I'm still not feeling it. I'm more than willing to be wrong about that, since I do like the Green Lantern character. But, this new trailer doesn't really change my expectations for the film.

Old 04-24-2011, 05:24 AM
Servant of the Dark Lord

I think it could turn out to be pretty good. I am still not sold on the direction they went with the costume, though. It looks like they wanted something that echoed the comic book design, but I think their choice to use CG and and the way they designed the feet kind of backfired on them.

Allan Glenn. 1984-2005 RIP
:countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep:
Under no circumstances should Quentin Tarantino be allowed to befoul Star Trek.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:05 PM
Tellifying

The design of the Green Lantern uniform definitely has some type of organic approach to it. The texture that we've seen for them on various alien Lanterns clearly show some underlying musculature. The boots on "Hal Jordan" definitely adhere to that design principle.

As for the reason why this is, I can't say. Certainly nothing I can recall from comic book canon.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:32 PM

Eh, it makes sense enough to me. Admittedly, I never read the comic books, but if it's going to generated from the ring itself, it having an organic appearance rather than looking like a normal suit (as normal as a spandex body suit could look, anyway) makes sense.

Of course, the genital avoidance doesn't make sense, since the ring wouldn't know what would be appropriate or not in various cultures - and the only way for it to know would be a psychic connection, in which case the suit ought to simply look more like normal clothing, since I'm pretty sure if it was taking input from Jordan, it wouldn't be a spandex body suit at all. It probably also should separate the toes too for similar reasons, since there's no particular reason for it to bind them together aside from the fact that human footwear generally does.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:37 PM
Tellifying

I don't even know what an organic suit is supposed to be, although I'm not sure why making a green and black suit which seems to make your skin opaque would be the way to go.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:15 AM

Well, superhero costumes rarely make sense in the real world anyway.

Like, how many of the big superheroes actually wear costumes that you could conceive of a person wearing in real life? Not talking about choices made for practical reasons (the Flash wearing something skin tight for aerodynamics would make sense, for example), just anything like color scheme or impractically designed (capes are not good, for example, and female superheroes don't want skimpy costumes designed around maximum cleavage).

Superman? Nope. Spider-Man? Nope. Wonder Woman? Nope. Captain America? Nope. Batman? Nope. Wolverine? Nope. Fantastic Four? Nope. Green Lantern (comic or movie version)? Nope. Daredevil? Nope (jokes about his blindness and color scheme aside - it's inexcusable that he would make his blindness obvious). The Flash? Nope. Aquaman? Nope. Other X-Men, like Storm, Cyclops, Jean Grey, Nightcrawler? Nope, nope, nope and nope. Catwoman? Almost, actually.

Even the X-Men film costumes, which were really much more believable than the comic book costumes, are still too much (especially on the female characters).

Iron Man is one that I can believe, almost. I have to say that I find it more likely that Stark would go with a color scheme that is more camouflaged. Without color changing, he does go into too many contexts (flying requires different camo than being in an urban environment, which are the two places he spends most of his time) for one color scheme to work everywhere, but red and gold doesn't work ANYwhere. I guess the question is whether Stark would view that practicality as more important than just looking cool (although that suit would still look pretty cool in camo colors...)

Hulk's simple pants make sense (they have to be pretty stretchy tho)... but purple?

So I can't see myself being too concerned about why he's wearing an organic suit, when really, the Green Lantern's original costume is only slightly less ridiculous. And if it's not created by the ring, the fact that Hal Jordan chooses to dress that way... well...
Thanks, from:
Demimonde (04-25-2011), Naru (04-25-2011), Nullifidian (05-13-2011), Pan Narrans (04-26-2011)
Old 04-25-2011, 02:10 AM
Coffin Creep

:hulk:
Janet (05-05-2011), Nullifidian (05-13-2011)
Old 04-25-2011, 08:07 AM
an angry unicorn or a non-murdering leprechaun

Quality rant erimir. It reminds me of Moore's excellent observation in Watchmen about capes and revolving doors.
erimir (04-25-2011), Nullifidian (05-13-2011)

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature