Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature

Old 05-14-2014, 03:51 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

Default Re: Coulson Watches You While You Sleep

I thought the season finale was next week. I were wrong. Without any real spoilers: Someone dies, someone lives, someone saves the day and some asses get kicked. Overall, it was about 50% pretty good and 50% not as pretty good.

Spoilish beyond this point.

For the most part it looks like the Centipede/Extremis/Cybernetics plotlines have been dealt with. Hydra is still out there doing stuff probably. There are a number of villainous villains running around. And also SHIELD is going to be rebuilt. Oh, and there are still mysteries orbiting Coulson and Mary-Skye Poots. :gah:

They started laying the groundwork in earnest for some kind of redemption with Woodbored. I'm not buying it and I don't care. I was rooting for and May kinda sorta maybe wanted to keep beating him until he was a pasty smear on the floor. But I can at least be a little happy that he's in jail. (And because SHIELD is being run by verified assholes, he's going to be tortured in some unspeakable manner. I guess I can't complain about it because of my admitted murderous hatred for him.) Evil Ward was the best thing to happen to this series and I'm going to miss him being out in the world being Evil Ward.

I'm also going to miss scenery eating Evil Garret. Wouldn't you know it, just as I'm yelling at the television about how stupid the "Armed Forces" or whoever is supposed to be handling Garret, the most ridiculous and hilarious and funny thing this show has ever done happens. And as hard as I laughed at it and thought that was p good, I also have to admonish (the writers) Coulson for completely stepping over the innocent dead body of whoever Garret killed to deliver his monologue.

Oh, and speaking of Coulson. He's no longer Agent Coulson, but also Avenger Director Coulson. The Big Talk™ he and Fury had was mostly unsatisfying. It basically boils down to Fury thinking Coulson was a p cool dude, so I'm putting you in charge of everthing now. For all the colossal fucking up Coulson and his Agents did, now he's the top dog. Holy shit, no wonder Ultron comes to power and starts fucking shit up. Thing is, Ultron doesn't really even need to be that powerful or clever. At least there are the Avengers to get Coulson's fish out of the fire.

Mary Skye Poots is still snowflaking along just fine. Excise all the stupid special Skye talk from this episode and it's improved by so very much. Thankfully there wasn't a lot of it - but that's still too much. And one of the lead ins to next season is Just How Special is She? I just really don't care anymore. All it's been this season is talk. And after 22 episodes how is it still just talk. :gah: Someone please for the love of anything just kill that plot.

One of the things that had me angry at the show was how terribly they used (and ultimately underutilized) Patton Oswalt's Eric Kaenig. I mean, how dumb was it to give Woodbored a thousand chances to answer one fucking question? And then Eric is dead. The half-assed redemption for this error is that Eric has a brother, Billy, who is the Administrative Assistant at some other secret base. (I say brother because LMDs which everyone keeps plotzing about everywhere have not been confirmed in the MCU.)
Thanks, from:
Janet (05-15-2014), The Man (05-14-2014)
Old 05-27-2014, 06:34 PM
Tellifying

Alright, show, I gave you a full season. No one can say I didn't give a good try.

But, honestly, I don't want to continue with you into Season 2.

I saw nothing in the finale that made me want to continue following the adventures of Coulson and Co. What was supposed to be exciting was dull. What was supposed to be witty banter was flat. And what was supposed to be intriguing was sleep-inducing.

I am sorry, my Borther, but that bit with Garrett at the end was just cheap. It was a bit done for the sake of a stupid joke. The set up felt forced and the punchline fell flat for me.

I'm moving onto Arrow and The Flash, I don't know if they are any good, I'll give them the same chance I gave this show.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:47 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

Quote:
I am sorry, my Borther, but that bit with Garrett at the end was just cheap. It was a bit done for the sake of a stupid joke. The set up felt forced and the punchline fell flat for me.
On one hand, you're right. On the other hand, I'm glad they definitively ended that part of the plot. I was entertained even at the same time I was annoyed. And as our honorable colleague Adom has so eloquently stated earlier, "better doesn't mean good." Unless and until I can convince my friend that the show isn't worth the electrons, I'm afraid I'm stuck with this. I kind of hate myself that I want to see what horrible answers they concoct for some of the threads they've left on the ground.
Thanks, from:
Adam (05-27-2014), Janet (05-27-2014), wei yau (05-27-2014)
Old 05-27-2014, 08:02 PM
forever in search of dill pickle doritos

I think at least part of the problem is a) high expectations and b) potential

a) This is a TV show about the freaking Marvel Universe, it's something right up my alley. I want it to be as awesome as the one in my mind. I want super powers, S.H.E.I.L.D. and everything else. I expect it to be awesome because it seems like it should be awesome without any trouble at all.

b) the production value is really high, the acting is pretty good and they have Josh Whedon on board. If the writing matched that quality it would be awesome. They have the money, they have decent talent.... what the hell happened?

So in regards to expectations, sometimes I wonder if I would feel as bad about another show of the same quality that wasn't Marvel based. Like if a new CSI show came out that had this type of quality, I might still think it was 'OK' because I wouldn't expect as much. I don't know.

Anyway, I'll likely stick with it for a while longer yet.
Thanks, from:
Adam (05-27-2014), BrotherMan (05-27-2014), Janet (05-27-2014)
Old 05-27-2014, 08:29 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

Joss is "only" an Executive Producer and isn't involved in day to day writing and directing. They say he reads every script but I don't see much influence except in isolated spots.
Thanks, from:
slimshady2357 (05-27-2014)
Old 05-27-2014, 11:07 PM
Bizarre unknowable space alien

I'm not a committed Marvel person and I'm appreciative but skeptical when it comes to Whedon. I like much of his work, but I also find much of it lacking and/or problematic. But really, there is only one reason I won't be watching next season.

They are moving it back an hour in direct competition with Supernatural. Sorry, Coulson, even in its creaky tenth season, I'm always going pick Supernatural over you. Especially since they announced they are making Mark Sheppard a regular next season.
"freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order."
- Justice Robert Jackson, West Virginia State Board of Ed. v. Barnette
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (05-27-2014)
Old 05-27-2014, 11:23 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

Quote:
They are moving it back an hour in direct competition with Supernatural
Oh, that's not smart. Not smart at all. Mark Sheppard, Moose and Squirrel are far more entertaining even when they are bad than SHIELD was at its best.
Thanks, from:
Janet (05-27-2014)
Old 05-28-2014, 10:02 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

Quote:
Originally Posted by wei yau View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherMan View Post
Later, I guess, in the same interview he says

Quote:
"I guess I don’t mean to say that people who have been frustrated by that discovery period are necessarily losers," he said. "I just think they should be, perhaps, a little more patient."
So, he soft back pedals a little. And to continue my defense: he calls a very specific subset of fans "losers."
Clark Gregg was recently on the Nerdist podcast for the second time. About halfway through, they talk about this a little bit. Here, for my first time, I get a first hand accounting of what happened and how he feels about it. Basically, what was written about the exchange isn't how he meant for it to sound. It's all still a good talk outside of that bit as Clark is a nice enough guy and they have a good rapport going on. (hail hydra)

For my own self, I want to like what I like and not like what I don't like. But at the same time with the small world of the internet effect in play, saying some mean things can get back to the people and there can be hurt feelings. I try not to be mean about the things I write, I'm not always successful. :gah: I just want everyone to get along and play nice together. I DON'T KNOW.
Thanks, from:
Janet (05-28-2014), wei yau (05-29-2014)
Old 07-15-2014, 05:09 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

When is Thor not Thor?

When he's not worthy, apparently.

Quote:
Marvel is excited to announce an all-new era for the God of Thunder in brand new series, THOR, written by Jason Aaron (Thor: God of Thunder, Original Sin) complimented with art from Russell Dauterman (Cyclops).

This October, Marvel Comics evolves once again in one of the most shocking and exciting changes ever to shake one of Marvel’s “big three” – Captain American, Iron Man and Thor – Marvel Comics will be introducing an all-new THOR, GOD OF THUNDER. No longer is the classic male hero able to hold the mighty hammer, Mjölnir, a brand new female hero will emerge will who will be worthy of the name THOR. Who is she? Where did she come from and what is her connection to Asgard and the Marvel Universe?

“The inscription on Thor’s hammer reads ‘Whosoever holds this hammer, if HE be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor.’ Well it’s time to update that inscription,” says Marvel editor Wil Moss. “The new Thor continues Marvel’s proud tradition of strong female characters like Captain Marvel, Storm, Black Widow and more. And this new Thor isn’t a temporary female substitute – she’s now the one and only Thor, and she is worthy!”

Series writer Jason Aaron emphasizes, “This is not She-Thor. This is not Lady Thor. This is not Thorita. This is THOR. This is the THOR of the Marvel Universe. But it’s unlike any Thor we’ve ever seen before.”
Thanks, from:
Janet (07-15-2014)
Old 07-15-2014, 05:12 PM
Tellifying

Old 07-15-2014, 05:49 PM
Phallic Philanthropist

I have an idea who they could recruit to be the new Thor... Annie Thorisdotter
She has the name, I wonder if she can act.

She knows how to swing a hammer too.
Adam (07-17-2014), BrotherMan (07-15-2014), Dingfod (07-19-2014), Ensign Steve (07-15-2014), Janet (07-15-2014), JoeP (07-15-2014), wei yau (07-16-2014)
Old 07-19-2014, 05:20 PM
Jin, Gi, Rei, Ko, Chi, Shin, Tei

I haven't been paying all that much attention to comics for the past couple of years. I didn't much care for DC's latest reboot with the "New 52" hoopla. From what I could tell, the whole point was to make all the heroes (except maybe Flash) into jerks. As somebody once put it, the apparent idea was to "make DC more Marvel than Marvel." When Superman and even Captain friggin' Marvel (sorry, it's apparently "Shazam" now) are jerks, then I'm not gonna care at all about them.

I all but gave up on Marvel after the unbearable "Civil War" storyline. True, "Siege" and then "Fear Itself" and its aftermath had their moments, but honestly. They put The Green Goblin in charge of world security? Seriously. The people of the Marvel Universe proved with that move alone that they were Too Dumb to Live. The rest was just downhill from there.

I kept up with the Thor-related titles for awhile, but how many times can you have a plot that goes like this?: "As it turns out, relocating Asgard to Oklahoma has upset the cosmic balance somehow, with bad consequences, but neither Thor nor the All-Mothers nor even Odin seems to want to do the obvious thing and put it back where it belongs."

I actually liked the Journey Into Mystery run with Kid! Loki, though. It was interesting to see young Loki making an honest effort to reform, and how he had to deal with nobody truly believing him. [Though that brings up yet another point: Why on Earth is it that people kept trusting Adult Loki, who wasn't called "The God of Lies" for nothing, you know -- but wouldn't give Kid! Loki an ounce of trust, even though he was actually trying to reform and do good?] It was also sweet to see how much he adored and looked up to his big brother.

I kept hoping, "Maybe they'll let it stick," but I kept thinking, "Nah, it's all a scam; sooner or later, Evil Adult Loki will be back." And sure enough, that's what happened. Well, screw that.

As for the news that Thor will be replaced. I don't care whether he's replaced by a man or a woman. It's not like Thor hasn't been temporarily replaced in the past, when he was off doing cosmic stuff or whatnot, or when he was otherwise out of the picture. Red Norvell and Thunderstrike come to mind. And you just know that Thor Odinson will eventually reclaim Mjolnir and his proper place.

But from what I understand, Thor will be replaced because he has become unworthy of wielding Mjolnir, and he will be depowered, forced to live as a mere mortal.

Screw that. I'm not gonna be reading the series. Not because they're replacing one of my favorite characters with a woman (who cares about the sex of his replacement?), but because it's for a nonsensical reason that sounds like an insult to the character. Besides, after the JMS run of Thor, it seems like the writers have gradually been forgetting that Thor is not just powerful and a good fighter, but he's also supposed to be smart and a fundamentally compassionate being who literally lives to protect others.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (07-19-2014)
Old 07-19-2014, 07:16 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

Preface: Comics. Are. Weird.

This isn't the first time Thor has had his mantle stripped and it likely won't be the last. I'm intrigued to find out what Thor could possibly do to become unworthy. It'll probably be controversial. And, in time, you know he's going to get it all back.
Thanks, from:
Janet (07-19-2014), The Lone Ranger (07-19-2014)
Old 07-19-2014, 07:37 PM
A fellow sophisticate

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Ranger View Post
But from what I understand, Thor will be replaced because he has become unworthy of wielding Mjolnir, and he will be depowered, forced to live as a mere mortal.
All but a large muscular blond mortal. He could always open a CrossFit gym or something.
Janet (07-19-2014), The Lone Ranger (07-19-2014)
Old 07-19-2014, 08:16 PM

Yup, this won't be the first time that Thor has been judged unworthy and depowered as a result. Which is why the whole thing sounds ridiculous to me. It's not like we haven't seen this exact storyline before. The only difference is that this time, it's "OMG Thor is going to be replaced by a woman!".

Pffft. It certainly sounds as if it's all being done for no other reason than to grab some attention.

It could work if handled properly -- Thor gradually succumbs to the pressures and demands of being the Nine Realms' primary protector, for example. But from what I've been able to tell, it's more a case of the most recent writers having no real clue regarding who Thor actually is, and how he's supposed to behave.

Still, in the comics, moreso than in most other media, Status Quo is God. Thor Odinson will eventually regain his mantle; it's just a question of how long the writers will string the readers along. (I still wish they'd kept Kid Loki though. It could have taken the comics in a genuinely interesting direction. Instead, it was just a question of "how long 'til Regular, Completely Untrustworthy Loki is back -- and how long 'til everyone in Asgard develops amnesia and forgets that he's completely untrustworthy? At least JMS had the sense to write Loki as mostly manipulating people by telling the truth, albeit in a misleading way from time to time. He managed to make it at least somewhat plausible that people would actually listen to Loki.)

Last edited by The Lone Ranger; 07-19-2014 at 08:32 PM.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (07-19-2014), Janet (07-19-2014)
Old 07-22-2014, 10:10 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

Agents of SHIELD now with 100% more Lawless(ness)

Quote:
According to the outlet, Xena herself is coming to the series in season two. Unfortunately – though not at all surprising – the outlet is unaware of what role (or for how many episodes) the actress will be playing on the show. Considering prior work, her casting could go anywhere from top X-S.H.I.E.L.D. agent to Asgardian. It seems we’ll just have to wait until the fall – or at least this weekend – to know exactly what Lawless will have in store for Team Coulson.

The next season of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is shaping up very nicely. It’s going to be interesting to see how the team deals with the task of rebuilding S.H.I.E.L.D., in addition to how the series will set things up for Avengers: Age of Ultron in May. If it ends up being anything like the way things went with Captain America: The Winter Soldier this past season, then we’re in for one hell of a treat.
After a mediocre episode with the fantastic Amy Acker, I don't know what to feel about this. On the first hand, YES, LUCY LAWLESS IN ALL THE THINGS, but let me wait to see what they actually do before I commit.
Thanks, from:
Janet (07-22-2014)
Old 07-22-2014, 02:24 PM
Tellifying

Quote:
It’s going to be interesting to see how the team deals with the task of rebuilding S.H.I.E.L.D
Actually, no, I don't think it will be interesting.

It's a small team, sure it's a small team headed by Coulson, the current "Director of S.H.I.E.L.D.", but rebuilding a global intelligence agency, tasked with dealing with superhumans seems to be a bit of a stretch for these guys.

I mean, sure, they've got Skye. And there's nothing she can't do. But, still...
Old 08-05-2014, 12:59 AM
Phallic Philanthropist

Damn... I wish I was your lover had me rolling. The cgi baddies suck but still this makes me want a deadpool movie sooo bad.
beyelzu (10-29-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 02:28 AM

Okay, I admit it. That would be awesome. (And I don't even particularly like Deadpool as a character.)
Thanks, from:
Janet (08-05-2014)
Old 08-13-2014, 02:04 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

Smile Re: Coulson Watches You While You Sleep

We have a sort of almost but not really answer to the question I posed over in the Movies thrad.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherMan View Post
And another question: Who is Quill's father? Any wiki searches and so forth don't really have an answer as his origins have been changed a few times over the years. The clues of "ancient" and "alien" don't have any easy answers in-universe. People have named a few species but as we all know the MCU is playing by different rules and there's not a one to one conversion from the comics.[/spoiler]
By which I mean, Mr. Gunn is telling us who the father isn't. I didn't play any of the videos and I'm just taking the answers from the text of the article.

Quote:
In an interview with Empire, Gunn says a document about the identity of Peter Quill/Star-Lord's father is being passed around between "a select two or three of us," and goes on to say that the plan was always to figure out who the father was before the screenplay was shot. "We wanted to make sure Yondu’s place in everything made sense and it does, so it’s all very specific stuff."

Gunn did confirm that Quill's father is NOT the character from the source material, revealing, "It’s definitely not the character who it is in the comics, I’ll say that much."
So, for us plebes we're still at stage :shrug:
Thanks, from:
Adam (08-13-2014), Janet (08-14-2014)
Old 09-24-2014, 09:28 PM
Tellifying

Anyone watch the S2 premiere? I missed it and it's not on teh DVRs
Old 09-24-2014, 10:17 PM

Nope, forgot all about it and was having my phone date with my best friend. I may watch it On Demand tonight, though.
"freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order."
Old 09-25-2014, 01:37 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

Poll Re: Coulson Watches You While You Sleep

Agents of SHIELD s2e1 Shadows

Spoiled on account of very longness of a recap.

And those are the events as I witnessed them. Overall, not a bad episode. Though if you weren't in favor of it for the first season there's nothing new for you here. If you're curious the best I can recommend is to read recaps on your favorite geek site. I think Comics Alliance's recap was the best this week. It gave a good rundown on the events with little editorializing.

The show is still commiting the sin of over-zealousness. Too much reliance on tech-tech to magic up solutions instead of stronger writing. And they've really, really done a disservice with splitting Fitz-Simmons. As a pair they were the best source for lightening the mood. Iaian and Elizabeth have the best chemistry of any other set of characters on the show.

My single least favorite part was how Team Merc stumbled onto Absorbing Man at the end. It simply makes no logistical sense. An escaping prisoner wouldn't be walking down the middle of the street in the middle of the day. And I do mean walking. And somehow this multi-lane road near a military installation somewhere in Virginia was empty except for Absorbing Man and Team Merc.

They were all so close to a pretty good episode and that just upset it all for me. But, okay, here's the good: High profile, very powerful and seemingly long term enemies: Absorbing Man and Kraken.
Thanks, from:
Janet (09-25-2014), The Man (09-25-2014), wei yau (09-25-2014)
Old 09-25-2014, 01:45 AM
A fellow sophisticate

:tldr:
BrotherMan (10-01-2014)
Old 09-25-2014, 07:40 PM

What bugged me was not that Absorbing Man was walking slowly down the street, but that he'd stopped to put on pants at some point during his flight.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (09-25-2014), wei yau (09-25-2014)

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature