Old 08-17-2017, 04:35 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Default Help.

What can I do to help my wife, she is about 40 - 50 Lb's over weight, even loosing 20 - 30 lb's would be an improvement. I don't have a weight problem but I tell her I love her, and she's pretty, and I'm more concerned about her health than her figure. What can I do to help her.

I've talked to her about eating as gently as I could, she eats about 1.5 times as much as I do. Most of the time when she gets home in the eve. she is too tired to exercise, but we know that is what she needs.
Old 08-17-2017, 05:12 AM
rude, crude, lewd, and unsophisticated

Default Re: Help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc View Post
What can I do to help my wife, she is about 40 - 50 Lb's over weight, even loosing 20 - 30 lb's would be an improvement. I don't have a weight problem but I tell her I love her, and she's pretty, and I'm more concerned about her health than her figure. What can I do to help her.

I've talked to her about eating as gently as I could, she eats about 1.5 times as much as I do. Most of the time when she gets home in the eve. she is too tired to exercise, but we know that is what she needs.
Ask her to join you in a stroll.

Encourage portion control. This will require her admitting to the problem, though. I don't know if you are to that point yet, or not.

More exercise, less high calorie intake.

I am in your wife's place. I always gain weight in times of physical torpor. In my case, this is all complicated by medicinal intakes, some of which encourage the torpor. I need more exercise more often.
Old 08-17-2017, 02:23 PM
ChuckF's sock

Has she dieted and failed/rebounded before? lost and then gained?

I agree with godfry, she doesn't have to have an exercise program - but a walk every evening or morning together would be some good quality time.

Tread carefully, this is a land mine field you are negotiating - even with gentle suggestions and love. Look out.

Also, people can be overweight and still healthy - unless, is she having some health issues?

Maybe just wait until she is ready to try or even wants to try. Then be there for her.

:lemon:..
Old 08-17-2017, 03:20 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Thankyou, both of you, a stroll is a good idea but I have my own issues that make it difficult and walking alone is not much fun. She has tried several methods of loosing weight but doesn't seem to be getting anywhere, and she has lost a little and then gained it back. There are several problems with this, one is that she has just turned 70, (I'm about 5 months older) so any exertion is a real effort. Several years ago I was reading a lot about health and fitness and I am familiar with several theories about weight and it's loss. I am familiar with "set point" theory and can see some relevance in it, I've also read about "fat training" but I don't think that will help the real problem. There is also the theory that if you can convince your body that the extra fat is in the way, the body will get rid of it without any additional effort. I also believe that each person is an individual and digests food differently, in that some will absorb and store all the calories in the food, and others will only absorb what is needed, and there are many in between to some degree.

I said I don't have a problem with being overweight, when I was young my family on my mother's side would have a reunion and one of the games was to bring out a bathroom scales and see who was the lightest man over 16 years old. It always came down to me and my grandfather, at about 135 Lbs. no one else even came close.

Last edited by thedoc; 08-17-2017 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Adding information
Thanks, from:
Limoncello (08-17-2017)
Old 08-17-2017, 03:28 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limoncello View Post
Tread carefully, this is a land mine field you are negotiating - even with gentle suggestions and love. Look out.
This seems to have become a problem when her last child was born, 30 years ago so I've had a lot of practice being careful what I say. I've learned over the years that the safest course is to just keep your mouth shut and not say anything.

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > Lifestyle