Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > Food & Drink

Old 12-15-2006, 01:53 PM
High tech redneck

Default Re: Whats your Fav. Wine?

I'm not sure if a cap or cork is going to make that much difference in the quality of the wine. The cap is probably just a cheaper bottling method, so the low end wines tend to use it more. I've read some opinions that the box is actually the best way to store wine for short term drinking (ie anything your not going to store in a cellar), but it's also the cheapest method of packaging so it's sort of looked down upon.

Box update: Drank some more out of box last night, and it was quite enjoyable. I've found that it's best to hold the glass as far away from the spiket as possible, and then pour slowly. Since the wine has never touched air, it really needs to get oxygenated to mellow it out.
Old 12-16-2006, 07:54 PM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevlar
I'm not sure if a cap or cork is going to make that much difference in the quality of the wine. The cap is probably just a cheaper bottling method, so the low end wines tend to use it more.
Naw, that isn't it. The pros of screw cap wines.

Screw cap godnessThe very best closure for wine has been around for years. It's easy to use, requires no tools, is airtight and easily resealable. What is this magical device? The screw cap, of course. "But wait!" you're saying. "Doesn't the slow passage of oxygen through a porous stopper help wines age and develop bottle bouquet?" That myth has been debunked. In fact, the screw cap makes the perfect wine closure — no taint, no oxidation, no problem. After all, if screw caps are good enough for $200 bottles of Scotch, why not for $20 bottles of wine?
Old 12-16-2006, 08:06 PM
go fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevlar
I've found that it's best to hold the glass as far away from the spiket as possible, and then pour slowly. Since the wine has never touched air, it really needs to get oxygenated to mellow it out.
How important is that whole decanting thing? It's just for red wines, right?

* pescifish is curious because I got some of these Danish decanting pourers to give away as stocking stuffers this year.

I'm hoping it's not some sort of snooty wine scam.
Old 12-16-2006, 08:36 PM
High tech redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by pescifish
How important is that whole decanting thing? It's just for red wines, right?
Now, IMO, letting a dry wine get a little air makes it taste a lot better, it seems to get rid of the harsher sour taste and give it a more balanced flavor. :dunno:
Old 12-16-2006, 08:37 PM
High tech redneck

Has anyone seen this?

I've seen it in a couple of better stores and I'm tempted to try it. It's only the most macho wine EVER. It would be right at home next to a greasy tool box.
Old 12-16-2006, 08:40 PM
High tech redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by livius drusus
Nice! A $145 bottle of wine with a screw cap.
Old 12-16-2006, 10:14 PM
California Sober

That is some seriously butch wine there, Kev. :thumbup:
Old 12-16-2006, 10:36 PM
I read some of your foolish scree, then just skimmed the rest.

Quote:
Interesting bit on screw caps. It does give the bottle a cheaper appearance but I think people will get over it. In the past wines and liquors were wax sealed, I don't see many wines still using wax and people have gotten over that. Although I'm surprised they haven't moved to synthetic t-corks, they don't look as cheap as screw tops but provide similar benefits. I use them to re-stop all my t-cork and cork high proof alcohols.
Old 12-17-2006, 02:20 AM
go fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari
Interesting bit on screw caps. It does give the bottle a cheaper appearance but I think people will get over it.
That'd be true for me! :unnod:

The way I select a wine for purchase is abysmal: if it's $12-20 at Costco, it's probably pretty good. And if there's one of those number ratings thingies available, I'll use that as criteria. If those measurements are equal, I choose the purdiest label. Oh yeah, and if it's a purdy label I happen to recognize from a previous sampling and I can't remember if it was horrible, I'll probably pick that. :blush:

And I'm a sucker for Trader Joe's recommendations, too:
Quote:
Our buyers slogged through tropical rice paddies and drug lord street thugs to find this lovely little gem. We managed to get a great deal by purchasing the entire vintage [as we got a tip the winery was going under] and we are happy to pass those savings on to you!

You will be delighted by this surprising vintage; we think the slight tang from nearby opiate processing is a wonderful compliment to the merlot's standard heady flavor.
(As you might guess, I don't drink wine that often.)

Anyway, if Costco or Trader Joe's told me that their screw top wine was good, I'd buy it without hesitation.

Last edited by pescifish; 12-17-2006 at 03:38 AM. Reason: missing key words
Old 12-17-2006, 02:54 AM

You have a good point, I bet if Trader Joes really got on the screw top band wagon it would become the new thing in wine in only a couple years.
Old 12-17-2006, 02:58 AM
i'm a bunny

Report from the front lines: Leaping Horse Chardonnay, $10.49 (large bottle), not so great. Somewhat fruity, decidedly grape-y. I've had better chardonnay, such as Yellow Tail (Yellow Tail is a great commercial wine, always pleases, never fails).

Earlier in thread, someone mentioned Louis Jadot. I've been a fan for years. Their beaujolais is great, and their pouilly-fuisse is one of my favorite splurges.
Old 12-17-2006, 03:28 AM
go fish

Oooh! I have some Yellow Tail shiraz someone gifted me. Glad to hear it's good 'cuz I'll be imbibing over the holidays! (Once I get my handy decanter pourer thingie this week.) :winedunk:
Old 12-17-2006, 04:52 AM
California Sober

Quote:
Originally Posted by chick
Report from the front lines: Leaping Horse Chardonnay, $10.49 (large bottle), not so great. Somewhat fruity, decidedly grape-y. I've had better chardonnay, such as Yellow Tail (Yellow Tail is a great commercial wine, always pleases, never fails).

Earlier in thread, someone mentioned Louis Jadot. I've been a fan for years. Their beaujolais is great, and their pouilly-fuisse is one of my favorite splurges.
I always get Yellow Tail and Leaping Horse mixed up, but I remember one of them is from Lodi, which I have been to, and that place is nasty (though not as nasty as Salinas), and it doesn't surprise me how nasty the chard is. But almost every time I go to buy the one I like, I end up with the one I don't like, because I forget which one is which. I think they have the same colored labels - orange and yellow on a black backdrop.
Old 12-17-2006, 05:33 AM
butterface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari
Quote:
Interesting bit on screw caps. It does give the bottle a cheaper appearance but I think people will get over it.
The PTB are already compensating. I was at the gourmet food-and-booze emporium today, and saw a couple of fancy screw-tops with clever printing on them that continued the neck-foil design up over the top of the bottle. They looked really classy and modern, and I almost bought one just on the strength of the packaging, until I remembered that I can't be spending $16 on a bottle of wine right now.
Old 12-17-2006, 05:47 AM
i'm a bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign Steve
I always get Yellow Tail and Leaping Horse mixed up, but I remember one of them is from Lodi, which I have been to, and that place is nasty (though not as nasty as Salinas), and it doesn't surprise me how nasty the chard is. But almost every time I go to buy the one I like, I end up with the one I don't like, because I forget which one is which. I think they have the same colored labels - orange and yellow on a black backdrop.
Yellow Tail is from Australia, and is pretty decent for a commercial wine. Leaping Horse is from California and is acceptable as a cheap wine, but I wouldn't serve it to guests, or bring it as a gift.
Old 12-17-2006, 05:52 AM
butterface

Quote:
Originally Posted by chick
Quote:
Yellow Tail is from Australia, and is pretty decent for a commercial wine. Leaping Horse is from California and is acceptable as a cheap wine, but I wouldn't serve it to guests, or bring it as a gift.
Tee hee -- I just remembered a story. I have a friend who works for a wine distributor and has flawless taste. She has another friend, P, who brings Yellow Tail to each and every party anyone in our circle throws. So my wine distributor friend had a holiday party last year, and she told P that if he brought Yellow Tail she'd throw him out on his ass. P? Brought Thunderbird instead. It was fucking hilarious. (And IIRC, the Thunderbird actually ended up being consumed.)
Old 12-17-2006, 06:45 AM

Quote:
one of them is from Lodi, which I have been to, and that place is nasty (though not as nasty as Salinas)
:giggle: It's funny cause it's true.

To shill a local large vineyard, Ironstone seems pretty good (but what do I know) and has won some awards.
Old 12-17-2006, 01:34 PM
Solipsist

Screw caps are fine. Currently drinking a half-case of Spier Private Collection Chenin Blanc 2005 with screw caps, which was definitely more pricey than our regular purchases.

But the synthetic corks I've come across are hellishly difficult to get out of the bottle. Hate them.

South African wine has developed so much over the last 10 years that we are continually updating our favourites. But currently my favs would be some combination of varietals and estates:
white varietals - chardonnay by pref; also sauvignon blanc and chenin blanc
red varietals - cab sauv, merlot, pinotage, sometimes shiraz
estates - Zonnebloem, Spier (can be variable), La Motte, Durbanville Hills, ... but in fact good bottles turn up from many estates so we experiment. Le Bonheur Cab Sauv 1999 is a current good one.

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Old 12-17-2006, 07:52 PM
California Sober

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari
Quote:
one of them is from Lodi, which I have been to, and that place is nasty (though not as nasty as Salinas)
:giggle: It's funny cause it's true.

To shill a local large vineyard, Ironstone seems pretty good (but what do I know) and has won some awards.
Went to a wedding last August at Firestone. I was paying too much attention to enjoying the wedding that I don't remember how good the wine was.
Old 12-26-2006, 04:03 AM
nominalistic existential pragmaticist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari
A great thread to ask,
what does everyone think about the drive towards synthetic cork and the even more controversial drive to screw tops?
I like better than cork.

I'm not much of a wine drinker, so I've found a few labels and stick to them. Mouton Cadet Blanc and Talus Cabernet are the only ones I know can be consistently good, so I don't go looking for other types.
Old 12-26-2006, 03:44 PM
vigorous hybrid

A very dark red's always good for me. With Chinese food. Spectacular.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:43 PM
ChuckF's sock

I'm bumping because I don't want to spam the forum with new frivolous threads, and actually there are some wonderful buried threads here - I spent a few weeks reading here before I registered and then a few more weeks waiting for JoeP to conjure me up.

I recently started appreciating wine and tonight I am having the 3rd glass from a bottle I opened on New Year's Eve and it tastes just as wonderful.

The bottle has a cork! not the screw off lid that I am accustomed too - this because it was a Christmas gift from my new workplace, which is an Italian company.

Masi Riserva Costasera Amarone della Valpolicella Classico Riserva 2011

When they gave it to all of us (about 70 employees) I was thinking it was
a 20.00 - maybe- bottle. Much to my surprise 150.00 CDN a bottle. :eek:

So please share some nice (affordable) wines that you like and I will try to pick it up.:vin:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cq5dam.web.1280.1280.jpg (12.8 KB, 1 views)

:lemon:..
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (01-18-2017), Janet (01-18-2017), lisarea (01-18-2017), Sock Puppet (02-07-2017), thedoc (01-18-2017)
Old 01-18-2017, 12:01 AM
Solipsist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limoncello View Post
I'm bumping because I don't want to spam the forum with new frivolous threads, and actually there are some wonderful buried threads here - I spent a few weeks reading here before I registered and then a few more weeks waiting for JoeP to conjure me up.
Sorry everyone. I mean, if I'd known.

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Thanks, from:
Ari (01-18-2017), BrotherMan (01-18-2017), Janet (01-18-2017), Limoncello (01-18-2017), Pan Narrans (01-18-2017), Sock Puppet (02-07-2017), thedoc (01-18-2017), Watser? (01-18-2017)
Old 01-18-2017, 12:15 AM
Shitpost Sommelier

:lol:

:AB: :canada:
Old 01-18-2017, 03:03 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Taylor Cream Sherry, 16.99 USD for a 3 Liter bottle, it's hard to beat the price, but it's a sweet wine, if you like them sweet.
Limoncello (01-18-2017)

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > Food & Drink