Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Atrium

Old 09-11-2017, 02:38 AM
Jin, Gi, Rei, Ko, Chi, Shin, Tei

Default Re: Official "FUCK THA POLICE" thread

I got an annoying telephone call today. The caller wanted me to donate money to improve police pay and also to lobby for tougher sentencing laws.

Really? While I'm inclined to assume that most police officers are decent people who deserve to be paid well for their service, I'm not especially inclined to agree with the premise that a big problem with our criminal justice system is that our sentencing laws are just too lenient.

After I got off the phone, I went right to the "Do Not Call" site and registered. Probably 2/3 of the telephone calls I receive are from people trying to sell me stuff, and I'm sick of it.
Thanks, from:
Crumb (09-11-2017), JoeP (09-11-2017), lisarea (09-11-2017), Stormlight (09-11-2017), The Man (09-11-2017)
Old 09-11-2017, 02:31 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

Most of those solicitation calls are for fraudulent charities anyway. A while back, one of the local sheriff's offices sued one for pretending they were calling from them.

AND there are a ton of mostly disease-related fake telemarketing charities run by this one family that's gotten filthy rich tricking people into thinking they were donating to kids with cancer and stuff like that.

The Tampa Bay Times has a whole series on it:

America's Worst Charities, a Tampa Bay Times, CIR and CNN Investigation | Tampa Bay Times

Never give money to organizations that make unsolicited telemarketing calls. They're 99% fraud, and the 1% that aren't are still spending their resources on telemarketing.
Thanks, from:
Ari (09-11-2017), But (09-17-2017), Crumb (09-11-2017), slimshady2357 (09-11-2017), The Lone Ranger (09-11-2017), The Man (09-11-2017)
Old 09-15-2017, 08:34 PM
Anthem for No State

Jamil Smith on Twitter: "A St. Louis cop said aloud that he was going to kill Anthony Lamar Smith. He did. He planted a gun. Acquitted."

Protests erupt in St. Louis after former police officer Jason Stockley acquitted on murder charge - The Washington Post

I know I shouldn't be shocked anymore when a pig literally gets away with murder, but the specifics of this one still shock me.

“All for ourselves, and nothing for other people, seems, in every age of the world, to have been the vile maxim of the masters of mankind.” -Adam Smith

“If you took the most ardent revolutionary, vested him in absolute power, within a year he would be worse than the Tsar himself.” -Mikhail Bakunin

FG · last.fm · soundcloud
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (09-16-2017), Kamilah Hauptmann (09-15-2017), lisarea (09-15-2017), slimshady2357 (09-16-2017), Stephen Maturin (09-15-2017)
Old 09-16-2017, 10:59 AM
Illegitimi non carborundum, mater irrumator praetor.

Ray Radlein on Twitter: "Things We HAVEN'T Seen More and Better Pictures of Since Phone Cameras Became Ubiquitous:

*Bigfoot
*UFOs

Things We Have:

*Police Violence"

:BC: :canada:
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (09-16-2017), Crumb (09-16-2017), erimir (09-16-2017), JoeP (09-16-2017), Stormlight (09-18-2017), The Man (09-16-2017)
Old 09-17-2017, 03:47 AM
This is the title that appears beneath your name on your posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarea View Post
Most of those solicitation calls are for fraudulent charities anyway. A while back, one of the local sheriff's offices sued one for pretending they were calling from them.

AND there are a ton of mostly disease-related fake telemarketing charities run by this one family that's gotten filthy rich tricking people into thinking they were donating to kids with cancer and stuff like that.

The Tampa Bay Times has a whole series on it:

America's Worst Charities, a Tampa Bay Times, CIR and CNN Investigation | Tampa Bay Times

Never give money to organizations that make unsolicited telemarketing calls. They're 99% fraud, and the 1% that aren't are still spending their resources on telemarketing.
We used to get unsolicited calls several times a day, and it's really fucking annoying, especially if you want to sleep in the middle of the day. You don't know if it's important or not until you get up and look at the display or take the call. I read a couple of weeks ago that one of these companies (in Germany) has been fined 300 000 euros for this shit and since then, the calls seem to have decreased a lot.
Thanks, from:
lisarea (09-17-2017), Stormlight (09-18-2017), The Lone Ranger (09-20-2017), The Man (09-17-2017)
Old Yesterday, 08:44 PM
Anthem for No State

TW: sexual assault

File This Under Rape Culture – Balloon Juice

“All for ourselves, and nothing for other people, seems, in every age of the world, to have been the vile maxim of the masters of mankind.” -Adam Smith

“If you took the most ardent revolutionary, vested him in absolute power, within a year he would be worse than the Tsar himself.” -Mikhail Bakunin

FG · last.fm · soundcloud
Thanks, from:
But (Yesterday), Crumb (Today), Kamilah Hauptmann (Yesterday), lisarea (Today), Stormlight (Today)

Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Atrium