Old 10-20-2008, 06:14 PM
Vice Cobra Assistant Commander

Default Voter Fraud

So, I had a lot of time to think about various things on my drive back to Indy from Louisville yesterday and I'm a giant nerd, so instead of spending that time productively fantasizing about Natalie Portman or something, I found myself thinking about a more effective response to the sham voter fraud accusations than "Nuh uh! Look at the evidence!" because, seriously, who looks at the evidence? Hell, I commented to my SO how Colin Powell has won back a few of the points he lost with me over his WMD and Pony show at the UN by pointing out that it shouldn't even matter if Obama really is a Muslim and she was like "Wait, I thought he was a Muslim? He's not?" I don't know whether to shake her for believing the crap she hears on TV, or hug her b/c she thought he was a Muslim and intended to vote for him anyway. But I digress.

Anyway, the point is, the wingnuts raise a stink about nonexistent voter fraud, and propose reasonable sounding means to prevent this nonexistent fraud that have the side effect of making it more likely that legitimate voters will be unable to cast votes. When those of us in the reality based community start our detailed debunking, droning on and on about how this report shows that voter fraud is negligible and that report shows that ID laws disenfranchise X number of zzzzzzzzz... Where was I? Oh, OK, the average low-information voter doesn't examine all the debunking, they remember the salient points: one side of the debate wants to prevent voter fraud, and the other doesn't.

Yes, I realize that preventing legitimate voters from casting their votes is less a side effect and more the main event, and that voter fraud is a silly meme to enable that goal, but that's the point. What's needed is a way to neuter the voter fraud meme once and for all. Why doesn't someone propose a comprehensive government backed program to ensure that every American is properly registered to vote, each and every election year? When the other side fights back, as they certainly will, because registering each and every voter is exactly what they're trying to prevent, the shoe is on the other foot. Why are they against enabling America to vote? Do they support voter fraud?
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (10-20-2008), Goliath (10-21-2008), LadyShea (10-20-2008)
Old 10-20-2008, 06:35 PM
Just keep m'nose clean, egg, chips & beans, I'm always full of steam

Default Re: Voter Fraud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Why doesn't someone propose a comprehensive government backed program to ensure that every American is properly registered to vote, each and every election year?
OMG moar gubmint bureaucracy! U R THROWING MONEY AT TEH PROBLEM!!!!11ONE!!

:sockpuppet:...........
Old 10-20-2008, 06:41 PM

And again, I want to know why isn't a valid driver license sufficient for being registered to vote? Isn't is the norm for all states to issue standard driver's license at or after age 18? So just automatically register the person when he goes to get his license and if he moves, he just send in a change-of-address which also updates his voter registration.

When I first moved to Maryland, I was also given a voter registration form which I filled out but I've since then moved to two different addresses and had to fill out another voter registration form for the upcoming election. Waste of paper and ink, I say.

And I'm seriously worried my new registration form won't be processed properly or some shit reason trotted out for why I'm stricken from the voter rolls.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:57 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

No, you can get a license at 16 in most states, and not all adults have licenses. We do have motor voter laws, though, that let you register when you get your license.

And this is just speculation, but I think Jehovah's Witnesses aren't supposed to vote, so they at least would probably complain if they were registered by default.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:37 PM
Vice Cobra Assistant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Puppet View Post
Quote:
Why doesn't someone propose a comprehensive government backed program to ensure that every American is properly registered to vote, each and every election year?
OMG moar gubmint bureaucracy! U R THROWING MONEY AT TEH PROBLEM!!!!11ONE!!
:shakebiggummint:

Stupid gummint trying to administer...er...itself!!!11!
Old 10-20-2008, 09:45 PM
Not as smart as Adam

Quote:
So, I had a lot of time to think about various things on my drive back to Indy from Louisville yesterday and I'm a giant nerd, so instead of spending that time productively fantasizing about Natalie Portman or something, I found myself thinking about a more effective response to the sham voter fraud accusations than "Nuh uh! Look at the evidence!" because, seriously, who looks at the evidence? Hell, I commented to my SO how Colin Powell has won back a few of the points he lost with me over his WMD and Pony show at the UN by pointing out that it shouldn't even matter if Obama really is a Muslim and she was like "Wait, I thought he was a Muslim? He's not?" I don't know whether to shake her for believing the crap she hears on TV, or hug her b/c she thought he was a Muslim and intended to vote for him anyway. But I digress.

Anyway, the point is, the wingnuts raise a stink about nonexistent voter fraud, and propose reasonable sounding means to prevent this nonexistent fraud that have the side effect of making it more likely that legitimate voters will be unable to cast votes. When those of us in the reality based community start our detailed debunking, droning on and on about how this report shows that voter fraud is negligible and that report shows that ID laws disenfranchise X number of zzzzzzzzz... Where was I? Oh, OK, the average low-information voter doesn't examine all the debunking, they remember the salient points: one side of the debate wants to prevent voter fraud, and the other doesn't.

Yes, I realize that preventing legitimate voters from casting their votes is less a side effect and more the main event, and that voter fraud is a silly meme to enable that goal, but that's the point. What's needed is a way to neuter the voter fraud meme once and for all. Why doesn't someone propose a comprehensive government backed program to ensure that every American is properly registered to vote, each and every election year? When the other side fights back, as they certainly will, because registering each and every voter is exactly what they're trying to prevent, the shoe is on the other foot. Why are they against enabling America to vote? Do they support voter fraud?
In Soviet Australia, Government enrols you!

Pretty much anyway. People come around from the Australian Electoral Commission every Federal year and check every house for voters and proper registration. And all you need to put on the form is your license number.

The two big differences between Australia and the US are the voting age is 18 and voting is compulsory.

Hang on, is it the drinking age or the voting age that is 21?

And compulsory voting is a great idea. It forces people to take an interest in the government. Yes I know, personal freedoms and all that. But really, what are the Great American Freedoms worth any more? The Bill of Rights is sitting in the White House toilet with Bush and Cheney skid marks all over it.
beyelzu (10-20-2008), Stormlight (10-21-2008)
Old 10-20-2008, 10:11 PM

Voting needs to be encouraged, not discouraged.

We need an election day holiday; that way, pretty much everyone would have time to vote.

Thanks, from:
Adam (10-20-2008), ChuckF (10-20-2008), Crumb (10-20-2008), Deadlokd (10-21-2008), erimir (10-20-2008)
Old 10-20-2008, 10:29 PM
Adequately Crumbulent

Quote:
Hang on, is it the drinking age or the voting age that is 21?
Voting: 18

Quote:
We need an election day holiday; that way, pretty much everyone would have time to vote.
Brilliant. :yup:
Old 10-20-2008, 10:39 PM
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction

Making it a Wednesday that we get off would prevent people from making three-day-weekend plans instead of voting too.

Compulsory voting I don't know about. But I think automatically registering everyone makes sense.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:15 PM
Fishy mokey

There is no registering to vote here, every citizen over 18 gets a card at his official address (you need to register with the county when you move, otherwise they will send it to your old address). You take the card and an id (passport, id-card or driver's license) to the polling station close to you (although at the last elections you could vote anywhere in town) and that's it. Voting is not compulsory but turn-out is relatively high I think.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:20 PM
Clutchenheimer

Mmm... Natalie Portman.
Adam (10-20-2008)
Old 10-21-2008, 12:31 AM
A fellow sophisticate

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarea View Post
... motor voter laws ...
I believe Republicans were against that as well. Who wants voter registration to be easy and for everyone? Commie Libtards, that's who.
Old 08-26-2023, 02:29 PM
Forum gadfly

Quote:
Why doesn't someone propose a comprehensive government backed program to ensure that every American is properly registered to vote, each and every election year? When the other side fights back, as they certainly will, because registering each and every voter is exactly what they're trying to prevent, the shoe is on the other foot. Why are they against enabling America to vote? Do they support voter fraud?
That's still a good question.

- Richard P. Feynman
Old 08-26-2023, 04:28 PM
(((The Spartacus of Anatevka)))

. . . with an easy answer: of course they do! Their accusations of voter fraud are projection.

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law