Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > Food & Drink

Old 10-04-2010, 06:36 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

Default The Official FF Contest for who peeled the most green chiles yesterday

My entry is "One heaping farmers' bushel."

For those of you who live in stupid and dumb and boring places because you are stupid and dumb and boring: Fall is chile season, so usually around September or October, people start setting up chile roasting stands in parking lots, at nurseries, and on vacant lots around the place. They usually have bushels of different varieties of green chiles, so you can pick your own and they roast them in these special barrel roasters on the spot.

One of the biggest problems with shopping for green chiles is that the roasters are usually itinerant, so you're never entirely sure where they'll show up from one year to the next, and the quality and prices can vary somewhat. Also, most of them don't really have business names. Most of the signs are p. generic. And some of the more unscrupulous ones do their part to keep the white man down by charging gring@s extra.

Anyways, so a few years ago, some civic minded lady started a website dedicated to tracking green chile roasters by location, hours, varieties, and prices. She also has recipes and information on different types of chiles and all kinds of stuff. It is a pretty good site for people who like to think about green chiles a lot.

So we found, on that site, a little farm store only about seven miles from our house that had a good variety and good prices, and also had other stuff, so we went there and got a bushel of Big Jims and impulse shopped a couple of pie pumpkins and some homemade salsa and jam. They also had hay rides and a goat and stuff, so there were a bunch of kids there just wilding around in the pumpkin patch. So that was p. cool.

ANYWAYS, so I peeled and froze a whole bushel of Big Jims last night to make our green chili for the year. (I am now thinking they're a little mild and we might need to go get a half-bushel of a hotter variety to supplement.)

This is my super-simplistic green chile recipe, which is a New Mexico style, not Colorado style, which has tomatoes and sometimes thickeners!

Get the cheapest, most messed up looking, barely human-grade pork roast you can find. It should be really fatty and marbled, and it must have a bone in it, and it will be so fucked up it will cost like a dollar.

Put that roast in a dutch oven, with a little coating of salt and pepper and maybe a bay leaf or two. Cook it low and slow all day long, until it's falling apart.

Remove the pork roast to a cutting board and fork shred it. Scrape the stuff loose from the bottom of the pot, but leave it in there, and return the shredded pork to the pot.

Chop up green chiles, probably about half to the full volume of shredded pork. This will depend on the heat of the chiles, your preferences, what you have, or whatever. I don't know! A lot of the heat is in the ribs and the seeds, so you can lower the heat by removing them first.

I usually don't add any other spices except salt at this point, because I don't like them fighting with the chiles. If you want to, though, you can add things like cumin and other peppers, dried or fresh. Cook that for a long time, and you can add chicken stock or water or reserved chile juice if it's too thick. It should be soupy.

To turn your green chili into green chile stew, add diced potatoes to green chile.

To turn it into green chile posole, cook it in with posole.

OK! Does anyone else get green chiles or have any recipes or stuff?

Also, everyone has to poast how many green chiles they peeled yesterday, for the contest.
Thanks, from:
Brimshack (10-12-2010), chunksmediocrites (10-04-2010), livius drusus (10-04-2010), Naru (10-05-2010), Sock Puppet (10-04-2010), Stephen Maturin (10-04-2010), Stormlight (10-12-2010), vremya (10-05-2010), wei yau (10-04-2010)
Old 10-04-2010, 07:16 PM
California Sober

Default Re: The Official FF Contest for who peeled the most green chiles yesterday

lisarea (10-04-2010), Ymir's blood (10-12-2010)
Old 10-04-2010, 07:19 PM
It's however you interpret the question...

Location: On A Savage Journey to the Heart of the American Dream
Default Re: The Official FF Contest for who peeled the most green chiles yesterday

YOU'RE ARE!

:thanked:
Thanks, from:
lisarea (10-04-2010), Stormlight (10-12-2010), Ymir's blood (10-12-2010)
Old 10-04-2010, 07:21 PM
Dogehlaugher -Scrutari

I peeled none, but I got six for Chile Rellenos.

For salsa verde I usually put in tomatillos. I didn't know there were recipes without tomatillos. I'm interested, it's hard to find tomatillos here for a decent price.

Also we only have one chile roasting guy who goes to the most crowded farmer's market in the fall.
Thanks, from:
lisarea (10-04-2010)
Old 10-04-2010, 07:32 PM
Flyover Hillbilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarea View Post
cheapest, most messed up looking, barely human-grade pork roast ... really fatty and marbled ... bone ... fucked up ... cost like a dollar.
This cannot be overemphasized.

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ~ S. Gecko

"What the fuck is a German muffin?" ~ R. Swanson
Old 10-04-2010, 07:33 PM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

I can't believe pea started a thrad.
Thanks, from:
chunksmediocrites (10-04-2010), lisarea (10-04-2010), Stormlight (10-12-2010)
Old 10-04-2010, 07:40 PM
Tellifying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Maturin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarea View Post
cheapest, most messed up looking, barely human ... roast ... really fatty and marbled ... bone ... fucked up ... cost like a dollar.
This cannot be overemphasized.

This is why the roasters are always on the move.

The most delicious game, indeed.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qingdai View Post
For salsa verde I usually put in tomatillos. I didn't know there were recipes without tomatillos. I'm interested, it's hard to find tomatillos here for a decent price.
I have tried without avail to find a handy chart of green chili styles, but I can't.

I think they're regional. New Mexico chilis include salsa verde style, which is almost always just used as a sauce, and the Albuquerque style, which is pork-based and more likely to be eaten straight out of the bowl. Colorado style includes tomatoes to varying degrees. I think the salsa verde style almost always has tomatillos, but they're totally optional for other styles.

I like all the kinds, but the Albuquerque kind is my favorite, and that's what mine is most like. I just make it as the simplest, least fussy interpretation, because I don't think it needs anything else, and mostly because it is really easy and really cheap.

As for your roasting problem:

Old 10-05-2010, 04:48 AM
A fellow sophisticate

Is this to establish a pecking order?

Who picked that peck of pickled peppers, Mr. Pea?
lisarea (10-05-2010)
Old 10-05-2010, 07:05 PM
nominalistic existential pragmaticist

:cheer:I lose! :cheer:
Thanks, from:
Deadlokd (10-07-2010), Stormlight (10-12-2010), teasasue (10-05-2010)
Old 10-06-2010, 12:30 AM
Dogehlaugher -Scrutari

Today I win, I peeled and roasted 7 chiles.
Thanks, from:
lisarea (10-06-2010)
Old 10-06-2010, 12:31 AM
improperly uses ellipses....... with panache

check with me tomorrow
Old 10-07-2010, 12:41 AM

how exactly dose one peel a chili? I didn't know that this was possible. I've also never heard anyone roasting peppers. I usually just buy them raw, then dice them up and cook with them

Also, where i live tamatilos are a weird and crazy exotic vegetable that most people have never heard of. so they're particularly difficult to find.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:42 AM
A fellow sophisticate

Tomatillos are an essential ingredient in chili verde. Every supermarket has them here.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:42 AM
A fellow sophisticate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qingdai View Post
Today I win, I peeled and roasted 7 chiles.
Isn't it easier to peel them after you roast them? That's the way I always do it.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingfod View Post
Tomatillos are an essential ingredient in chili verde. Every supermarket has them here.
most people have never heard chili Verde up her either, I'm an exception to this rule. I've tried cooking it a couple times from recipes off of cooking websites
Old 10-07-2010, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastelk View Post
how exactly dose one peel a chili? I didn't know that this was possible. I've also never heard anyone roasting peppers. I usually just buy them raw, then dice them up and cook with them
When you roast them, the skin bubbles and separates, so you can pretty much just deglove a perfectly roasted one. And you roast them for the same reason you roast anything--because it adds a little smoke and concentrates the flavors. Roasted peppers are a whole different thing from unroasted.

You can roast them at home, too, directly on a gas burner or a grill, or in the oven. There are instructions on the internet for different techniques, and it only takes a few minutes if you're just making a small batch.

You should try it, even though it's too late for you to win the contest.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:17 AM
Fishy mokey

Why? What time does one win the contest?
Old 10-07-2010, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watser? View Post
Why? What time does one win the contest?
The contest was for the yesterday of the 4th, which was the 3rd.

I already won, and am patiently awaiting my trophy from the Freethought Forum administrators.
Thanks, from:
Stormlight (10-12-2010)
Old 10-07-2010, 01:41 AM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

You'll have to be content with a turnip, since you have yet to produce the root veggie dinner you promised to make lo these many years ago. :medal:
Thanks, from:
lisarea (10-07-2010)
Old 10-07-2010, 01:41 AM
A fellow sophisticate

They're probably waiting for the Weekend Administrator to show up so they can have a quorum.
lisarea (10-07-2010), Stormlight (10-12-2010)
Old 10-07-2010, 02:13 AM

Ah, Turnip, we meet again.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:07 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

Lettuce turnip tomorrow so no one wonders where you've bean.
Thanks, from:
lisarea (10-07-2010), livius drusus (10-07-2010), Stormlight (10-12-2010)
Old 10-07-2010, 06:48 AM
Dogehlaugher -Scrutari

I put them under the oven broiler, turn, then let them sweat it out in a paper bag.

Then the peeling begins.:strip:

Only with spicier fingers.
Thanks, from:
lisarea (10-07-2010)
Old 10-07-2010, 07:52 AM
A fellow sophisticate

I'm a wimp, I wear rubber gloves.

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > Food & Drink