Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature

Old 09-22-2017, 09:36 PM
forever in search of dill pickle doritos

Default Re: What are we watching this Fall, y'all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by specious_reasons View Post
Ohh, new shit is starting to come out on network TV, so I sampled 2 shows:

The Orville - this is supposed to be a comedy in the style of a Star Trek parody.

For a "comedic drama" the pilot is intensely unfunny. Oddly, it works better as a serious Trek ripoff. Big turnoff: Seth McFarland as the ship's captain. Will probably not bother with it.
For anyone thinking of watching The Orville I would offer a counter viewpoint and say that I have enjoyed the first 2 episodes. They are not hilarious, but I did find them funny. They do a decent job of mixing the Star Trekking with humour and I don't think it's supposed to be just a comedy. Even Sou, who usually finds Seth MacFarlane's humour not to her liking has enjoyed it and lol'd for reals a couple times each episode.

I'm going to stick with it, I expect they'll get the comedy-space drama formula working even better as they get through the season.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:10 AM
NPC

While I like ST: Discovery, I have been enjoying The Orville. I don't see it as a sitcom or any other out-and-out comedy, it is rather a slightly more tongue-in-cheek version of a Star Trekian show, and certainly doesn't take it self too seriously.
ShottleBop (12-01-2017), slimshady2357 (11-13-2017), The Man (03-31-2018)
Old 11-23-2017, 10:41 PM
Servant of the Dark Lord

I've been watching The Orville and I have to say I really like the show. It has a decent mix of humor, drama and social commentary. If there is one thing I find lacking in the show, it would be the humor. For me it tends to be somewhat hit or miss. Some of the jokes fall flat while others hit it out of the park.

I definitely do get the Star Trek like feel of the show, but it's distinct enough not to feel derivative. I think as the show progresses, the formula will be refined.

Allan Glenn. 1984-2005 RIP
:countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep:
Under no circumstances should Quentin Tarantino be allowed to befoul Star Trek.
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (12-08-2017), Miisa (11-24-2017), ShottleBop (12-01-2017), The Man (03-31-2018)
Old 11-30-2017, 10:19 PM
California Sober

I'm also watching The Orville, and liking it. :thumbup:

Also, please tell me Bort is watching this, because BORTUS! :hangerdance:
beyelzu (12-08-2017), slimshady2357 (12-01-2017), The Man (03-31-2018)
Old 12-01-2017, 04:15 AM
(((The Spartacus of Anatevka)))

I've been watching The Orville, too.
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (12-08-2017), Ensign Steve (12-01-2017), The Man (03-31-2018)
Old 12-01-2017, 04:24 AM
here to bore you with pictures

Harrumph. Maybe I will give The Orville a second chance.

I'll put it in the queue after Quark.
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (12-08-2017), Ensign Steve (12-01-2017)
Old 12-01-2017, 04:59 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

I've watched two episodes. The premiere and... another one. I couldn't stand the usual MacFarlane humor from the first and was never going to watch again. I forget why I watched another episode, but it was aight. Sweet Pibble in the sky forgive me for not noticing that alien's name.

:mourn:
Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (12-01-2017)
Old 12-03-2017, 03:02 PM
Servant of the Dark Lord

If you don't like the show BrotherMan, then you don't like it. I do think you should give the show another chance by watching the most recent episode. I think the show writers and visual effects team did a very good job in imagining a 2D universe. I won't give away anything else in order to avoid spoilers.

Also, on another note, I can understand why people may be put off by Seth McFarlane. His humor is an acquired taste, and one I don't particularly enjoy all that much. On the other hand, the humor in the show sometimes works nicely. I doubt I'll ever have too many laugh out loud moments, though. On the other hand, when the jokes do fall flat, they aren't so awful as to make me want to stop watching.

On another note. One thing I like about the show is that like Star Trek, The Orville presents us with an optimistic future. This is a world where we seem to have figured out how to solve many of our issues. It depicts a humanity that is out there exploring the galaxy.

I do have a concern with the Krill. As they are currently depicted, the show writers may end up writing themselves into a corner. Hopefully that doesn't happen, but I think it may be unavoidable. If anyone's interested in what I mean, ask and I'll make another post explaining my concern behind spoiler tags.

:countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep:
Old 12-05-2017, 04:46 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

There's just only so much of that kind of humor I can stand. Fortunately, the worst stretch of it happens in the Pilot episode(s). I'm aware enough that if some of that humor ( :airquote: ) wasn't there, then nothing about the show would really be, I dunno is word, worth it.

But I forebeared. I watched the episode three about Bortus and his husband and them having an babby - and it was, you know, good stuff. At least on par with season 1 of TNG (which a lot of people say one has to grit teeth and slog through, but I enjoy it). And then, to my surprise, there are a couple more episodes that are actually p good too.

So.

I may have to be watching this show.

THANKS ALOT GUYS.
Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (12-08-2017), slimshady2357 (12-05-2017), specious_reasons (12-05-2017), The Man (03-31-2018)
Old 12-07-2017, 06:42 AM
Servant of the Dark Lord

I am glad you've found enjoyment in the series. It isn't perfect, but I think it has a foundation solid enough to become great. Hopefully, Seth McFarlane doesn't fuck it up.

Old 12-08-2017, 03:41 PM
California Sober

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherMan View Post
So.

I may have to be watching this show.

THANKS ALOT GUYS.
:happy:

You're welcome!

I agree with MonCap, the 2D universe is gorgeous, and I super love how they handled all the stuff with it.

I watched the season finale last night, not realizing it was the season finale. The AV Club's write-up is pretty on point, I think.

(not spoiler-tagged because while it seems like something that would be a spoiler, it's really not)

Quote:
The thread framing this storyline is a focus on Ed and Kelly’s relationship. The two have begun dating again and their rekindled romance makes it harder for Ed to hold Kelly accountable for her actions on the phase planet. The show hasn’t been particularly aggressive about working pair’s relationship dynamic into the stories, and aside from the pilot and a few isolated incidents here and there, they get along really well. And I’ve been pretty happy with that. I like the two as friends. Them working together while trying to create a healthy friendship in the wake of their divorce is a lot more interesting to watch than the conventional will they or won’t they dynamic. Part of that is Seth Macfarlane and Adrianne Palicki’s chemistry feels very platonic. They play well off each other and have an obvious affection for each other.

*snip*

But more than feeling the show doesn’t benefit from relationship drama, I’m generally less interested in storylines central to Ed. I don’t think Seth Macfarlane is bad in the role by any means, and I admire how willing he’s been to let Ed exist in the margins of a lot of stories this season. He infuses Ed with a sometimes dopey fallibility that brings a welcome layer of humanity to the part of intrepid space captain.

*snip*

He’s definitely more in the Captain Kirk vein of disregard for ordinances he doesn’t believe help the spirit of the Union’s mission, minus the barrel-chested bravado. He just quietly does what he thinks is right. That said, I’ve enjoyed him most as a foil for the rest of the crew. His presence is strongest when he’s delivering a pep talk or awkward joke, and I feel the show sags a bit when he’s put front and center.
I feel like this show is Seth's love-letter to Star Trek, very specifically to TNG. It's his show, and he gets to be the captain of course, but in general it seems like he doesn't make it about him. He makes it about the ensemble crew and the cool stories and he mostly stays out the show's way. A totally rational aversion of Seth and his brand of humor needn't be a deal-breaker.
beyelzu (12-08-2017), BrotherMan (12-08-2017), slimshady2357 (12-08-2017), The Man (03-31-2018)
Old 12-08-2017, 03:45 PM
California Sober

Also, if you like scary Halloween episodes, Firestorm is for you, even though it was totally like a month late.
beyelzu (12-08-2017), BrotherMan (12-08-2017)
Old 12-08-2017, 07:25 PM
simple country microbiologist hyperchicken

We’ve been watching Marvel’s Runaways. It’s pretty good thus far. I read some of the comics (1st miniseries iirc) when they first came out.

It’s on Hulu, and the adaptation has largely been true to the comics in tone and visuals.
BrotherMan (12-09-2017), Crumb (12-08-2017), Ensign Steve (12-08-2017), slimshady2357 (03-31-2018), The Man (03-31-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 08:47 AM
I read some of your foolish scree, then just skimmed the rest.

In the Misc thread I recommended The new Tick, it's hilarious and skips along quite nicely with 30 minute episode, which I mention because I think others might have tried to push for hour long shows but the 30 minute long episode fits the shows style and pacing better.

A few more bits of praise, while it's Arthur and Tick as the main characters, there's a woman main villain, Miss Lint, and Arthur's sister, Dot, plays a decent role as a multi dimensional person who makes her own decisions to get into Arthur's mess.

A.E.G.I.S. Database of heroes

Actual show spoilers here,
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (03-13-2018), Ensign Steve (03-14-2018), The Man (03-13-2018)
Old 03-31-2018, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyelzu View Post
We’ve been watching Marvel’s Runaways. It’s pretty good thus far. I read some of the comics (1st miniseries iirc) when they first came out.

It’s on Hulu, and the adaptation has largely been true to the comics in tone and visuals.
I'm going to start watching this now, just downloaded season 1.

Also looking forward to season 2 of Legion starting soon :hyper:
Old 04-01-2018, 10:20 PM

I've watched the first 5 episodes now. I like it, but I don't love it.

Any new show usually takes a few episodes to get going, there is almost always going to be a fair amount of exposition in at least the first episode. This is no different and the first couple of episodes are bit of a slog. It does start to pick up from there and I would say that 3 episodes in I was finally hooked enough to feel like I'm wasn't forcing myself to watch it anymore. OK forcing is too strong, but like I wasn't waiting for it to get good enough to warrant watching, it was there.

I would say the quality of writing isn't really up there with other Marvel shows, but it has some strong points. If you like Marvel shows and you have some spare time, give it a go. But be patient and give it at least 3 episodes.
Old 04-08-2018, 11:51 PM

The first episode of Legion did not disappoint. It was so trippy, weird and confusing it was like re-living watching the first couple episodes of the first season. :prettycolors: I really wish I could binge watch this one as I'm super psyched to watch the rest of the season. As always, Aubrey Plaza fucking rocks in any scene she's in.

Finished Runaways and it was overall just OK. I enjoyed it, but it never really got me excited to be watching it. I'll check out the second season when it comes out though.
Old 04-10-2018, 01:20 AM
California Sober

Fuckin Legion, right?! Soooo trippy. :prettycolors:

MOAR DANCE NUMBERS :eager:

I’m still with Silicon Valey, into season 5. It still doesn’t fail to delight me.

I cannot wait for Westworld I am literally dying of anticipation:gah:
The Man (04-10-2018)
Old 04-10-2018, 09:25 PM
I read some of your foolish scree, then just skimmed the rest.

Beebo Loves you!

Legends of Tomorrow just finished with their best season yet. Of interest going into season 4 the main cast will include at least 3 queer characters (perhaps 4 if the hints about Gary are true) with a bi Constantine joining for S4.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (04-11-2018), slimshady2357 (04-11-2018), The Man (04-10-2018)
Old 04-15-2018, 08:31 PM

I searched a couple threads but couldn't find anything on The Gifted.

Yes, I'm watching a lot of super powers tv shows at the minute :glare:

I'm 4 episodes in and this is already much more compelling than Runaways ever got. It takes place in the X-Men world, in a timeline where the X-Men have disappeared and mutants are highly discriminated against. It's not illegal to be a mutant, but it might as well be. So far I give it 2 thumbs up.
Old 07-20-2018, 07:28 PM
California Sober

:hyper:
Crumb (07-20-2018), wei yau (07-20-2018)
Old 08-08-2018, 05:56 PM
Tellifying

I've got like a billion of good TV to watch on DVR or streaming. So many good shows that I've never started or haven't finished.

So, what am I doing now?

Watching Star Trek: Deep Space Nine again.
Old 08-08-2018, 06:15 PM
California Sober

:unnod:

Always worth a rewatch.
BrotherMan (08-09-2018), wei yau (08-08-2018)
Old 08-08-2018, 06:29 PM
California Sober

Last weekend I added Better Call Saul and the Venture Bros. to my weekly lineup. I feel like there is another show I'm missing that was supposed to drop on August 4 or 5, but I can't remember what it was. :scratch:

I think Preacher may be the only other weekly thing I'm watching right now. I was watching Colony but I think it finished.

Also we have the MLB network now, so I can watch most of the Dodgers games, not just the fhalfames a season they play against the G when they play the Giants.iants (half of which we watch in person anyway).

And football is on its way. :cheer:

Have recently binged/finished:
Orange is the New Black season 6
Glow season 2
The Wire seasons 1 through 5
UnReal seasons 3 and 4
The Handmaid's Tale season 2
Maron season 4
Sinner season 1

Need to watch:
Atlanta season 2
Love season 2
Brockmire season 2
Snowfall seasons 1 and 2
Sinner season 2

:weirdtv:

Or I could spend that time and energy to learning an instrument or doing yoga or something ... nah.
Ari (08-29-2018), BrotherMan (08-09-2018), The Man (08-09-2018), viscousmemories (08-16-2018)
Old 08-08-2018, 07:05 PM
Tellifying

Watching
Star Trek DS9
Preacher Season 3
Legion Season 2

Need to watch:
Glow Season 2
Sharp Objects Season 1
Breaking Bad Season 2
Better Call Saul Season 2
Cloak and Dagger Season 1
The Gifted Season 1

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature