Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy

Old 08-20-2016, 12:20 PM

Default Re: A revolution in thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
And the candle example is a good analogy if you're thinking in terms of the efferent model...
No, it isn't a good analogy. Because there is no efferent model. You have not offered any explanation at all for why we see the candle quickly. The ONLY explanation we have for this comes from the afferent model and depends upon travel time.
It takes time for the light from the candle to get to the eye, but you can hardly notice it. The same goes for the Sun because we're not using light in the same way. This is getting ridiculous. I'm not conceding Spacemonkey, so let's end this conversation.

Quote:
No, you're going to have to trust me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey
Why? You know we don't trust you. What is your excuse for not posting images?
I have to sign up for Imgur.com and learn how to use it. It's too time consuming just for the purpose of making you trust me.

Quote:
It wasn't a claim. He was just trying to explain the function of light in this account.
Quote:
You don't seem to understand what the word 'claim' means. A claim is just something somebody says, and your father said two different things. Hence he made two different claims.
I don't like how you're using the word claim in this thread because it's confusing other analyses with the three significant claims (or discoveries) Lessans made. He did say two different things. In his first book he didn't analyze it correctly, or he wouldn't have changed it. But you think it's wrong because a car can't get to a destination unless it travels to that destination. You are making the same exact comparison with light.

Quote:
Quote:
...we would be able to see the sun instantly — at that very moment..."

"...it is true we would not be able to see it until 8 minutes later..."

These cannot both be correct. Which one was the mistaken claim and which one do you now think is correct?
I believe he meant the former as this was in his most recent book.
Quote:
Well, that's the opposite of what you were saying recently, and puts you right back where you've been for the last ten years, with the impossibility of photons being somewhere before they get there, the impossibility of photons being photons without having traveled anywhere, and the impossibility of photons having come from the Sun without ever having been there.
Photons did come from the Sun Spacemonkey. But the eyes in the efferent model don't have to wait 8 1/2 minutes because distance has nothing to do with it.

Quote:
Quote:
When the Sun first changes from white to blue there will still be white light hitting the film and any retinas on Earth. At that moment, what colour image (of the now-blue Sun) will the camera film produce?
You know what my answer is.
Quote:
No, I don't. As you have not answered me at all. But it doesn't really matter, as the colour change problem was designed to show that flipflopping to Lessans' earlier claim (that we don't see the newly ignited Sun until after 8min) still leaves you with impossible-to-resolve-problems. Now that you're back to your original story you're also back to the original problems.
I'll stick to the original story. I wasn't flipflopping. I wanted to believe my father's earlier writing was correct so I could end this conversation peacefully. But I believe it was an incorrect analysis on his part since traveling light would not allow a person to see in real time. It would go right back to the afferent model.

https://www.declineandfallofallevil.com/ebook/

"The fatal tendency of mankind to leave off thinking about a thing
which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill
Old 08-20-2016, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
FYI, Peacegirl. This is one of those times where I'm being perfectly civil with you and you're STILL completely refusing to answer anything I ask you.
I am answering you...
Not really. You just answered some of what I asked, after I reposted it multiple times and reminded you that I was being nice.
Stop talking about being nice, as if I am now obligated to answer you just because you're not cursing me out. :whup:

Quote:
And your response was the opposite of what it was only a day or so ago. And you still responded to a direct question with "You know what my answer is". That's not an answer, Peacegirl.
Because you should know what my answer is. That IS an answer.

Quote:
I'm so tired of defending his claim about the eyes, I prefer to let it go. It would have been so much easier if he could have explained how we become conditioned without concluding that the eyes are not a sense organ. This opened up a can of worms that I wasn't prepared for.
Quote:
Then stop defending it. When all the evidence is against you and you can't find any plausible way to defend his ideas, you can simply be honest and say "Yeah, it looks like he probably got the whole vision thing wrong, and I really can't make any sense out of it, but I still think there is value in what he said about conditioning". The world won't end if you say this. If anything you might earn a bit of respect by being honest with us. You don't have to defend the indefensible. You don't have to believe things that don't make sense. If something seems like it makes no sense then you're allowed to say so. Your father would not hold it against you.
The world won't end if I say this, but if this model of sight is necessary for how this conditioning takes place, then I cannot just leave it out. If you understood what made him come to this conclusion, and you could show me where it is not dependent on how the eyes work, then I would drop it in a heartbeat.

which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill
Old 08-20-2016, 12:37 PM
I'll be benched for a week if I keep these shenanigans up.

Quote:
It takes time for the light from the candle to get to the eye, but you can hardly notice it.
Because it is such a short distance.

Quote:
The same goes for the Sun...
The same does not go for the Sun, because it is a very large distance.

Do you understand that you cannot have something going a greater distance in the same amount of time without it going faster?

Can light go any faster than the speed of light?

Quote:
I have to sign up for Imgur.com and learn how to use it. It's too time consuming just for the purpose of making you trust me.
You don't have to sign up to use Imgur at all. It is fast and free, and take only seconds to use. Time building some trust here would be time well spent.

Quote:
I don't like how you're using the word claim in this thread...
I'm using the word according to its standard dictionary definition.

Quote:
But you think it's wrong because a car can't get to a destination unless it travels to that destination. You are making the same exact comparison with light.
Yes. Light, just like a car or anything else, can't be somewhere before it gets there. What part of this do you not understand?

Quote:
Quote:
Well, that's the opposite of what you were saying recently, and puts you right back where you've been for the last ten years, with the impossibility of photons being somewhere before they get there, the impossibility of photons being photons without having traveled anywhere, and the impossibility of photons having come from the Sun without ever having been there.
Photons did come from the Sun Spacemonkey. But the eyes in the efferent model don't have to wait 8 1/2 minutes because distance has nothing to do with it.
The photons we are talking about are at the retina on Earth at 12:00, which is exactly the same time that the Sun is ignited and begins emitting photons. So if these photons came from the Sun then when were they at the Sun?

And if they are traveling photons then what traveling have they done?

Quote:
I'll stick to the original story. I wasn't flipflopping. I wanted to believe my father's earlier writing was correct so I could end this conversation peacefully. But I believe it was an incorrect analysis on his part since traveling light would not allow a person to see in real time. It would go right back to the afferent model.
So you flipflopped. You went from saying we see the newly ignited Sun instantly, to saying we don't, to saying we do again. That was a flipflop. And now that you're back in the same position you started in, you're back facing the same problems you've been studiously evading for the last decade.
Angakuk (08-20-2016), But (08-20-2016), The Lone Ranger (08-20-2016), The Man (08-20-2016), thedoc (08-20-2016)
Old 08-20-2016, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Stop talking about being nice, as if I am now obligated to answer you just because you're not cursing me out. :whup:
When you deliberately weasel and evade people lose respect for you and lose their patience. Do you really not understand how rude and disrespectful it is to prolong a discussion while refusing to address what people are saying?

Quote:
Because you should know what my answer is. That IS an answer.
No, it isn't. And you can't expect people to know what your answers are when you refuse to give them. That's not reasonable.

Quote:
The world won't end if I say this, but if this model of sight is necessary for how this conditioning takes place...
It isn't. There is no logical connection between them at all.

Quote:
If you understood what made him come to this conclusion...
How could we possibly understand that when you don't even understand it yourself? Five minutes ago you had no idea whether or not to back his claim that we would see the newly ignited Sun in real time! You are as clueless on this as we are. No-one knows how your father came to these conclusions. Because he never adequately explained it himself.
Angakuk (08-20-2016), But (08-20-2016), The Lone Ranger (08-20-2016), The Man (08-20-2016), thedoc (08-20-2016)
Old 08-20-2016, 12:51 PM
Astroid the Foine Loine between a Poirate and a Farrrmer

Quote:
I'm so tired of defending his claim about the eyes, I prefer to let it go. It would have been so much easier if he could have explained how we become conditioned without concluding that the eyes are not a sense organ. This opened up a can of worms that I wasn't prepared for.
And it is not even necessary: we already know sight is a very creative process, that what we end up experiencing as sight is something more complex than what we detect.

And even without THAT it is not easy to solve the problems we thought this would solve: beauty standards in humans differ from culture to culture, and the importance we attribute to it is at least partially learned. Hey presto! All the same results, with none of the mess.

Relative Simultaneity is a problem, I gather, for some of the later chapters. These were not in the version I downloaded, so I never read that bit. But there the problem is that we have observed it: experiments have already born that out conclusively. It tells us exactly what the difference between clocks on earth and clocks in orbit is going to be if it is correct... and we see those results.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (08-20-2016), But (08-20-2016), The Man (08-20-2016), thedoc (08-20-2016)
Old 08-20-2016, 12:57 PM

Quote:
That is worrying, as we are supposed to accept the ideas in this book based on the assumption he was able to perceive "relations" and "patterns" that other people could not, and that these "astute observations" are correct - even if current evidence suggests otherwise.

Now it seems even THAT is no longer possible: he makes mistakes.

What exactly do we have left now? All I can think of is "wouldn't it be nice if he was right?"
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (08-20-2016), But (08-20-2016), Spacemonkey (08-20-2016), Stephen Maturin (08-20-2016), The Lone Ranger (08-20-2016), The Man (08-20-2016), thedoc (08-20-2016)
Old 08-20-2016, 02:01 PM

Quote:
It takes time for the light from the candle to get to the eye, but you can hardly notice it.
Quote:
No, that's the deception.

Quote:
Quote:
It is, but your conclusion is inaccurate in my humble opinion. If you don't care about my opinion, that's your right.

Quote:
Do you understand that you cannot have something going a greater distance in the same amount of time without it going faster?

Completely unrelated.

Quote:
You don't have to sign up to use Imgur at all. It is fast and free, and take only seconds to use. Time building some trust here would be time well spent.

Quote:

Quote:
But you think it's wrong because a car can't get to a destination unless it travels to that destination. You are making the same exact comparison with light.
Quote:
Yes. Light, just like a car or anything else, can't be somewhere before it gets there. What part of this do you not understand?
I give up.

Quote:
Quote:
I give up.
Quote:
The photons we are talking about are at the retina on Earth at 12:00, which is exactly the same time that the Sun is ignited and begins emitting photons. So if these photons came from the Sun then when were they at the Sun?
At the time they were emitted Soacemonkey.

Quote:
You're just not understanding this model. I'm not trying to force anything on you.

Quote:
Quote:
So you flipflopped. You went from saying we see the newly ignited Sun instantly, to saying we don't, to saying we do again. That was a flipflop. And now that you're back in the same position you started in, you're back facing the same problems you've been studiously evading for the last decade.
Quote:
I hope you understand why I made this error. It in no way makes his claim wrong, which you are trying desperately to negate.
I guess I -am, and I'll deal with it.

Last edited by peacegirl; 08-20-2016 at 02:16 PM.
Old 08-20-2016, 02:08 PM
Flyover Hillbilly

Quote:
I think Louis Savain has more insight than many esteemed physicists.
What qualifies you to make that assessment? What facts support it?

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ~ S. Gecko

"What the fuck is a German muffin?" ~ R. Swanson
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (08-20-2016), The Lone Ranger (08-20-2016), The Man (08-20-2016), thedoc (08-20-2016)
Old 08-20-2016, 02:29 PM
This is the title that appears beneath your name on your posts.

:loud:
Thanks, from:
The Lone Ranger (08-20-2016), thedoc (08-20-2016)
Old 08-20-2016, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
It is, but your conclusion is inaccurate in my humble opinion. If you don't care about my opinion, that's your prerogative.

Quote:

Completely unrelated.

Quote:
Quote:
Actually it would do nothing of the sort. It would help for 5 minutes and then reset. The pay-off is negligible so I get greater satisfaction in denying your request.

Quote:
Quote:
Definitions have to be used in context. You know that as well as I. It does not apply here and for you to Include this definition to mean "anything that is said" is an effort to confuse the issue by treating his his actual claims with callous disregard.

Quote:
Quote:
You are failing to understand this concept and are therefore guarding your worldview with impenetrable armor?

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
At the time they were emitted.

Quote:
You're not understanding this model. I'm not trying to force anything on you.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I hope you understand why I made this error. It in no way makes his claim wrong, which you are trying desperately to negate.
Quote:
I hope you sincerely mean that.

Last edited by peacegirl; 08-20-2016 at 03:12 PM.
Old 08-20-2016, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Then you need to present an alternative explanation, not based on distance and travel time, to explain how and why we see the candle quickly.

Quote:
It is, but your conclusion is inaccurate in my humble opinion. If you don't care about my opinion, that's your prerogative.
I do care about your opinion. This is why I ask you questions. But you do not answer them, so I don't get to hear your opinion.

Quote:
Actually it would do nothing of the sort. It would help for 5 minutes and then reset. The pay-off is negligible so I get greater satisfaction in ignoring your request.
Then don't complain when we conclude that you are lying and making things up. You've had your chance to show otherwise, and apparently can't be bothered.

Quote:
definitions have to be used in context. You know that as well as I. It does not apply here and for you to throw this word around to mean anything that is said is an effort to make light of how he uses the word claim so you can throw all of his genuine claims out in one fell swoop.
It's what the word 'claim' means, Peacegirl.

Quote:
you are failing to understand this concept and are therefore guarding your worldview with impenetrable armor?
No, I'm simply pointing out what any child can understand—things can't be somewhere before getting there.

Quote:
Quote:
Obviously, but when was that? At, before, or after 12:00?

Quote:
Quote:
You're just not understanding this model. I'm not trying to force anything on you.
Answer the question please. If the photons at the retina at 12:00 are traveling photons, then what traveling have they done?

Quote:
Can you please deal with it by answering my questions instead of rudely evading them?
Angakuk (08-20-2016), The Man (08-20-2016), thedoc (08-20-2016)
Old 08-20-2016, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Jesus Christ. Those were YOUR words, not mine. You just typed them yourself less than an hour ago, and now you're replying to them as if they were my words.

:rofl:
Angakuk (08-20-2016), But (08-20-2016), Stephen Maturin (08-20-2016), The Lone Ranger (08-20-2016), The Man (08-20-2016), thedoc (08-20-2016)
Old 08-20-2016, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Jesus Christ. Those were YOUR words, not mine. You just typed them yourself less than an hour ago, and now you're replying to them as if they were my words.

:rofl:
Oops! Sorry about that. It didn't sound like that would be something you would say, looking back in hindsight.

Old 08-20-2016, 04:14 PM
Spiffiest wanger

A brief recapitulation of all the reasons why we hold you in contempt is worth doing here. You write:
Quote:
Time does not slow down. Clocks slow down.
:lol:

Clocks slowing down IS time slowing down. Idiot!

Now this:

Quote:
I don't care what you think David. You're wrong. Yes. I think Louis Savain has more insight than many esteemed physicists. You are in la la land!

Is Relativity Wrong?

Does the impossibility of motion in spacetime invalidate Einstein's relativity? The answer depends on whether one takes spacetime to be physically existent (as relativists do) or as an abstract, non-existent, mathematical construct for the historical mapping of measured events. If one chooses the former, one is obviously a crackpot or a fraud, or both. If one chooses the latter, then general relativity is to be seen as a mere math trick: the physical mechanism of gravity is still out there and it is incumbent upon physicists to find it.

Nasty Little Truth About Spacetime Physics
First, as Maturin points out, and as you yourself well know, you are in NO position to evaluate the theory of relativity, or what Crackpot Savain says about it. Despite being taught the rudiments of the theory by several of us over the years, you have learned NOTHING about it. The proof of this is that you can write -- with a straight face and not realizing how imbecilic you are -- “time does not slow down. Clocks slow down.”

The stuff you quoted from Savain, as we have repeatedly explained to you, is nothing but incoherent word salad. The man is richly earned his place in the Encyclopedia of American Loons. First, as we have explained to you, his claim that "motion is impossible in spacetime” is crap, and came about because he can’t do math! Dragar explained this to you. Second, physicists do NOT claim that spacetime is “physically existent,” whatever that is supposed to mean. Spacetime is a set of spatial and temporal relations among objects. Third, when he writes “the physical mechanism of gravity is still out there and it is incumbent upon physicists to find it,” he outs himself as a total dunce, although of course you yourself are not sufficiently educated to understand why.

The broader point, though, and the reason you are so contemptible, is that you know NOTHING about ANY of this, yet because you THINK that Crackpot Savain says something that MIGHT support your loony ideas, you grab on to his coattails like someone drowning grabs on to driftwood.

The problem, though, as has also been repeatedly explained to you, is that all of this stuff is irrelevant. You don’t need to worry about time dilation or Crackpot Savain or what gravity really is or any of this stuff. It is the relativity of simultaneity that shows why real-time seeing is impossible. We’ve already gone over this with you countless times. The fact that two observers in different inertial frames will disagree over the time order of events arises because we don’t see in real time. If we saw in real time, then all observers, universally, would AGREE on the time order of events.

Finally – and this too has been repeatedly pointed out to you – they theory of relativity is not needed to disprove real-time seeing. Real-time seeing was disproved hundreds of years ago by the moons of Jupiter observation. Relativity theory is merely a consequence of the fact that we don’t see in real time. If we saw in real time, the theory would never have arisen in the first place.

You are a complete idiot.
Thanks, from:
Old 08-20-2016, 05:37 PM

Quote:
looking back in hindsight
Surely you mean looking back after the fact in hindsight?
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (08-20-2016), thedoc (08-20-2016)
Old 08-20-2016, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivisectus View Post
Quote:
And it is not even necessary: we already know sight is a very creative process, that what we end up experiencing as sight is something more complex than what we detect.

And even without THAT it is not easy to solve the problems we thought this would solve: beauty standards in humans differ from culture to culture, and the importance we attribute to it is at least partially learned. Hey presto! All the same results, with none of the mess.
No Vivisectus. Not presto! You don't even understand the first thing regarding why these beauty standards are able to condition someone. When it comes to taste, we can't condition someone to like a certain food, if they don't like it. When it comes to sound, we can't condition someone to like a certain type of music, if they don't like it. When it comes to the sense of smell, we can't condition someone to like a certain odor, if they don't like it. When it comes to sight, we can condition someone to liking a certain physiognomy due to words only, not reality. The fact that beauty standards differ from culture to culture and that some features are viewed as 'beautiful' and in another culture these features would be considered 'ugly' verify this observation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivisectus
Relative Simultaneity is a problem, I gather, for some of the later chapters. These were not in the version I downloaded, so I never read that bit. But there the problem is that we have observed it: experiments have already born that out conclusively. It tells us exactly what the difference between clocks on earth and clocks in orbit is going to be if it is correct... and we see those results.
I am not opposing the findings. What I am opposing is their interpretation of the findings.

Old 08-20-2016, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Then you need to present an alternative explanation, not based on distance and travel time, to explain how and why we see the candle quickly.

Quote:
I do care about your opinion. This is why I ask you questions. But you do not answer them, so I don't get to hear your opinion.

Quote:
Actually it would do nothing of the sort. It would help for 5 minutes and then reset. The pay-off is negligible so I get greater satisfaction in ignoring your request.
Then don't complain when we conclude that you are lying and making things up. You've had your chance to show otherwise, and apparently can't be bothered.

Quote:
definitions have to be used in context. You know that as well as I. It does not apply here and for you to throw this word around to mean anything that is said is an effort to make light of how he uses the word claim so you can throw all of his genuine claims out in one fell swoop.
It's what the word 'claim' means, Peacegirl.

Quote:
you are failing to understand this concept and are therefore guarding your worldview with impenetrable armor?
No, I'm simply pointing out what any child can understand—things can't be somewhere before getting there.

Quote:
Quote:
Obviously, but when was that? At, before, or after 12:00?

Quote:
Quote:
Answer the question please. If the photons at the retina at 12:00 are traveling photons, then what traveling have they done?

Quote:
Can you please deal with it by answering my questions instead of rudely evading them?
I told you that Lessans said light travels at a high rate of speed. He agreed with the physics of light, but if the eyes are efferent, as he claimed, we would be able to see an object in real time as long as the object was large enough (within our field of view) and bright enough (had enough luminosity) to be seen. Light would not be the bringer of information through space/time; it would be the bridge to the external world. If you can't see how this is possible because light hasn't reach Earth, I cannot help you. Maybe it's time for a new set of eyes to look at this claim otherwise I'm afraid we'll be stuck here forever.

Old 08-20-2016, 06:00 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
I told you that Lessans said light travels at a high rate of speed. He agreed with the physics of light, but if the eyes are efferent, as he claimed, we would be able to see an object in real time as long as the object was large enough (within our field of view) and bright enough (had enough luminosity) to be seen. Light would not be the bringer of information through space/time; it would be the bridge to the external world. If you can't see how this is possible because light hasn't reach Earth, I cannot help you. Maybe it's time for a new set of eyes to look at this claim otherwise I'm afraid we'll be stuck here forever.
Lessans was wrong.
Angakuk (08-20-2016)
Old 08-20-2016, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
A brief recapitulation of all the reasons why we hold you in contempt is worth doing here. You write:
Quote:
Time does not slow down. Clocks slow down.

Clocks slowing down IS time slowing down. Idiot!

Now this:

Quote:
I don't care what you think David. You're wrong. Yes. I think Louis Savain has more insight than many esteemed physicists. You are in la la land!

Is Relativity Wrong?

Does the impossibility of motion in spacetime invalidate Einstein's relativity? The answer depends on whether one takes spacetime to be physically existent (as relativists do) or as an abstract, non-existent, mathematical construct for the historical mapping of measured events. If one chooses the former, one is obviously a crackpot or a fraud, or both. If one chooses the latter, then general relativity is to be seen as a mere math trick: the physical mechanism of gravity is still out there and it is incumbent upon physicists to find it.

First, as Maturin points out, and as you yourself well know, you are in NO position to evaluate the theory of relativity, or what Crackpot Savain says about it. Despite being taught the rudiments of the theory by several of us over the years, you have learned NOTHING about it. The proof of this is that you can write -- with a straight face and not realizing how imbecilic you are -- “time does not slow down. Clocks slow down.”
But that's true! Clocks slow down but time does not. Time is not a dimension David. I believe Savain was right. There is only the ever changing present.

Should We Stop Using Time?

Of course not. As long as time is seen for what it is, an abstract evolution (change) parameter, there is no problem. The whole thing is analogous to the unemployment rate. No one is arguing for its physical existence but it is nevertheless useful. The same goes for time. Just as the unemployment rate is derived abstractly from the number of employed and unemployed people, time is also derived abstractly from the magnitude or rate of motion or change. The greater the magnitude of the motion or the change, the shorter the time. It is only when one decides to make time an independent variable or a dimensional axis (degree of freedom), that one moves into crackpot territory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm
The stuff you quoted from Savain, as we have repeatedly explained to you, is nothing but incoherent word salad.
NO IT IS NOT!

Quote:
The man is richly earned his place in the Encyclopedia of American Loons.
So should you. You believe in wormholes, and time machines. This puts you in loon territory, along with other well known physicists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by david
First, as we have explained to you, his claim that "motion is impossible in spacetime” is crap, and came about because he can’t do math! Dragar explained this to you. Second, physicists do NOT claim that spacetime is “physically existent,” whatever that is supposed to mean. Spacetime is a set of spatial and temporal relations among objects. Third, when he writes “the physical mechanism of gravity is still out there and it is incumbent upon physicists to find it,” he outs himself as a total dunce, although of course you yourself are not sufficiently educated to understand why.
I don't think you do either. I believe he is spot on when he writes:

Passage of Time?

People often talk about the passage of time. They say that time flows or changes. However, logically speaking, it is a fallacy that time changes. Clocks change, physical processes change but time is invariant. Why? Because, again, 'changing time' is self-referential. The truth is that nobody has ever observed time changing. We only use the changes in our clocks to derive unchanging time intervals. The nasty and shocking little truth is that time does not change, a million wormhole and time travel fanatics wearing their little Klingon and Ferengi outfits notwithstanding.

The above may come as a shocking revelation to many but it is a logical fact, one that makes a lot of celebrated time travel and wormhole physicists look rather silly.

Should We Stop Using Time?

Of course not. As long as time is seen for what it is, an abstract evolution (change) parameter, there is no problem. The whole thing is analogous to the unemployment rate. No one is arguing for its physical existence but it is nevertheless useful. The same goes for time. Just as the unemployment rate is derived abstractly from the number of employed and unemployed people, time is also derived abstractly from the magnitude or rate of motion or change. The greater the magnitude of the motion or the change, the shorter the time. It is only when one decides to make time an independent variable or a dimensional axis (degree of freedom), that one moves into crackpot territory.

Quote:
The broader point, though, and the reason you are so contemptible, is that you know NOTHING about ANY of this, yet because you THINK that Crackpot Savain says something that MIGHT support your loony ideas, you grab on to his coattails like someone drowning grabs on to driftwood.
And what about YOU, Mr. Wormhole? You aren't out of crackpot territory at all. In fact, you're just as much a crackpot as the best of them.

Quote:
The problem, though, as has also been repeatedly explained to you, is that all of this stuff is irrelevant. You don’t need to worry about time dilation or Crackpot Savain or what gravity really is or any of this stuff. It is the relativity of simultaneity that shows why real-time seeing is impossible. We’ve already gone over this with you countless times. The fact that two observers in different inertial frames will disagree over the time order of events arises because we don’t see in real time. If we saw in real time, then all observers, universally, would AGREE on the time order of events.
Of course they will disagree over the time order of events because the inertial frames are different and dictate a different order of events. It does not mean all observers would universally agree on the time order of events. This does not cancel out real time vision.

Quote:
Finally – and this too has been repeatedly pointed out to you – they theory of relativity is not needed to disprove real-time seeing. Real-time seeing was disproved hundreds of years ago by the moons of Jupiter observation. Relativity theory is merely a consequence of the fact that we don’t see in real time. If we saw in real time, the theory would never have arisen in the first place.
Not necessarily. The theory came up because it seemed to fit given the idea that the eyes are a sense organ and that light is delayed.

Old 08-20-2016, 06:21 PM
Spiffiest wanger

Quote:
Of course they will disagree over the time order of events because the inertial frames are different and dictate a different order of events.

WHY do they dictate "a different order of events," dumb ass?
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (08-20-2016), The Lone Ranger (08-20-2016), The Man (08-20-2016), thedoc (08-20-2016)
Old 08-20-2016, 06:48 PM
Flyover Hillbilly

Quote:
I believe Savain was right.
Do you have any basis in fact for that belief, or is your assent based exclusively on Savain saying what you want to hear?

Never mind. We all know the answer. :wave:

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ~ S. Gecko

"What the fuck is a German muffin?" ~ R. Swanson
Thanks, from:
Old 08-20-2016, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Of course they will disagree over the time order of events because the inertial frames are different and dictate a different order of events. It does not mean all observers would universally agree on the time order of events. This does not cancel out real time vision.
So we can see events instantly, yet still see the same event happen at different times because we are in different inertial frames? :lol:
Thanks, from:
Old 08-20-2016, 07:01 PM

Quote:
a million wormhole and time travel fanatics wearing their little Klingon and Ferengi outfits notwithstanding.
Not crackpotty at all!
Thanks, from:
Old 08-20-2016, 07:40 PM
Spiffiest wanger

Here, peacegirl. A very simple chart that demonstrates both the special theory of relativity, and also why the theory exists only because we don’t see in real time! :2thumbsup:

Any questions? :whatthe:
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (08-20-2016), But (03-21-2018), The Lone Ranger (08-20-2016), The Man (08-20-2016), thedoc (08-20-2016)
Old 08-20-2016, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivisectus View Post
Quote:
So we can see events instantly, yet still see the same event happen at different times because we are in different inertial frames? :lol:
I don't see the problem. We could see a different order of events depending on our inertial frame of reference and still see in real time.

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy