Old 07-28-2011, 06:46 PM
California Sober

Angry OSX Lion

I did the upgrade and it's aight. The full-screen, multi-touch, and launch-pad/mission-control stuff is gimicky and unnecessary, but fun enough. Scrolling is now upside-down which took me a minute to get used to. It can probably be changed in Preferences, but I was like screw it I'll just learn the new way.

I have a BIG CONCERNS with versioning. We have been doing "save as" since forever, and all this shit about "duplicate" and "revert" is unnecessarily different and complicated. Also it takes way too much upon itself (as far as versioning) without my permission and without any obvious way to control it or turn it off.

Mostly I see it in "Preview" probably because I edit photos and pdf's more than anything else, or maybe Preview's versioning is just the most pervasive. But, like, if I view a photo or pdf in Preview and I don't close it before I exit, it is still open the next time I launch Preview, even if I launch it by opening a different file, and even if I have deleted the file!! What if I open a horrible shock image and I'm like "OMG GROSS!" and I cmd-Q immediately and delete the file. Then an hour later I open a picture of a cute puppy, and the shock image is still there. It goes away if I close it, but where is it stored on my computer if I already deleted the original?

Nowhere has it asked me how much space I want to dedicate to versioning or whether I even want this or how to turn it off. Have any of yall installed and explored this crap yet?

Edit: Ha! Now I can't duplicate the problem, so it probably only existed in my fevered imagination in the first place.

Last edited by Ensign Steve; 07-28-2011 at 06:54 PM. Reason: I was probably high.
Thanks, from:
Stormlight (08-02-2011)
Old 07-28-2011, 08:25 PM
here to bore you with pictures

Default Re: OSX Lion

I've been avoiding it, mostly because I haven't figured out how versioning and the other features are going to mess with my workflow.

I really only do 2 things on my Mac, browse the Web and manipulate images.

I probably will upgrade, but in a month or so. Maybe after the first round of patches.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:55 PM
Uber TechnoKiller

I haven't upgraded. Lion has bugs apple need take out. Though I kinda like the idea of bringing the Post-PC feel to Desktop and Laptops. While winblow$ is trying to introduce the tile UI. I think Mac's got the right idea. Backwards compatibility however.....well. Not so.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:49 PM
here to bore you with pictures

Has it really been this long?

I upgraded this weekend, but I haven't done any serious photo work since. Overall impression is, "Meh."

Launchpad is stupid. My laptop is not a tablet, nor do I want to use it as such.

One serious flaw, IMO: The Mission Control does not show minimized windows. This is probably one of the few things I actually used Expose for.

Mission control handles desktops better, and I'd love it if it showed me my minimized windows. (Seriously, who let this slip? What insane designer thought it should be hard to find my minimized windows?)

iCloud? What to do with it? My version of Outlook is not supported by iCloud, so my main repository of all knowledge (my Windows PC) can't sync to iCloud. (No contacts or calendars, but I get that sync through iTunes). I don't use the Apple Reminders, so I don't need that. I'm syncing "Documents and Data" but I don't even know what that means. Plus, iCloud is blocked at work.

The file versioning hasn't been much of an issue for me, as most applications I run don't seem to be using this feature.
Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (02-22-2012), Stormlight (02-22-2012)
Old 02-21-2012, 09:56 PM
God Made Me A Skeptic

I got an Air that came with Lion. I really, really, like Mission Control as an upgrade from Spaces. Not as sure about Mission Control as a replacement for Expose, which I never used. Haven't used or looked at Launchpad, either, although I seem to recall that some people really liked it, and I have certainly used launchy things (DragThing, mostly) in the past.
Save me / and when you see me strut / remind me of what left this outlaw torn
Old 02-22-2012, 10:07 AM

I actually do not like the "look" of it.

I know, a terribly technical reason for choosing an OS. . . .

--J.D.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:18 PM
ne'er-do-well

Launchpad has grown on me. I thought it was stupid when I first read about it. Full-screen apps are nice, especially when I'm running more than one VM. Ctrl+arrow to switch between them. Mission control is the diggity bomb, but omitting minimized windows was dumb. That said, with mission control, I don't really need to minimize windows anymore.

Oh, and I downloaded Messages beta, so now I can chat with iOS devices, which is cool.

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Computers & Technology