Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 10-11-2017, 05:00 AM
The Man's Avatar
The Man The Man is offline
Anthem for No State
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: MVCCLXIX
Default Re: Mental disorders deserve their own thrad

@erimir: I agree with basically everything you say, but at the same time, I think the prism of malignant narcissism still explains large portions of it, particularly your factor #1. Obama is Trump's White Whale. He was humiliated by Obama at the White House Correspondents' Dinner and, because he's not a normal, well-adjusted human, he can't let it go. It grates at him that Obama was a better president than him, more popular than him, showed him up for his birth certificate bullshit, and on top of all of that, was black! The fact that he's unable to let it go and is obsessed with Obama as a result (to the extent of the pee tape) is pretty much pathological.

Factor #2 is textbook ADHD.

There definitely is a problem in our language with describing people with distorted thinking who harm others. We sometimes use "sociopath" or "psychopath" (which from my understanding is just a colloquialism for antisocial personality disorder), but because they're such extreme words, I think people are often reluctant to deploy them.

@Qingdai: That's one of my favourite essays of all time.

One final point that I don't think I made explicit above is that people's reluctance to diagnose Trump and others like him is, I think, harmful to society. If a person is excused from diagnosis from a mental disorder based on wealth or power, that means that, should they have a disorder like malignant narcissism, not merely the powerful person but those they have power over will suffer as a result. Because people with such disorders are often attracted to positions of power and at least occasionally successful at gaining them, this seems an unusually serious problem for society.
__________________


“All for ourselves, and nothing for other people, seems, in every age of the world, to have been the vile maxim of the masters of mankind.” -Adam Smith

“If you took the most ardent revolutionary, vested him in absolute power, within a year he would be worse than the Tsar himself.” -Mikhail Bakunin

FG · last.fm · soundcloud
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
Stormlight (10-11-2017)
  #52  
Old 10-11-2017, 05:03 AM
erimir's Avatar
erimir erimir is offline
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Dee Cee
Gender: Male
Posts: XMMCCCXXII
Images: 11
Default Re: Mental disorders deserve their own thrad

Oh I wasn't saying it wasn't related to his narcissism. Just not mostly related to his bullying tactics towards Murkowski and others in Congress.
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
The Man (10-11-2017)
  #53  
Old 10-11-2017, 04:31 PM
JoeP's Avatar
JoeP JoeP is offline
[thanks] whisperer
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: England/Miisaland
Gender: Male
Posts: XXMMMXIV
Images: 18
Default Re: Mental disorders deserve their own thrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by erimir View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man View Post
So I can't agree with the argument that he's not suffering emotionally - in fact, the fact that he is has been one of the few things giving me comfort about his presidency*.
Yes.
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man View Post
This is where you get, for example, the vindictive knee-jerk reactions against anything Obama was responsible for; to my understanding, simple NPD doesn't explain that.
But isn't that the behaviour of every white person in the Republic Party?
__________________

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:       :eur::sadcheer: "Strong and stable"
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
Stormlight (10-12-2017), The Man (10-11-2017)
  #54  
Old 10-11-2017, 05:54 PM
The Man's Avatar
The Man The Man is offline
Anthem for No State
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: MVCCLXIX
Default Re: Mental disorders deserve their own thrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by erimir View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man View Post
So I can't agree with the argument that he's not suffering emotionally - in fact, the fact that he is has been one of the few things giving me comfort about his presidency*.
Yes.
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man View Post
This is where you get, for example, the vindictive knee-jerk reactions against anything Obama was responsible for; to my understanding, simple NPD doesn't explain that.
But isn't that the behaviour of every white person in the Republic Party?
Well, yes, but not to the extent of monomania; they're just political reactionaries. For any other Republican I can think of, it wouldn't be remotely plausible to think they'd hired hookers to piss in a bed purely because Obama had slept in it. Trump's obsession extends to fanaticism and can't be explained by mere racism or political differences.
__________________


“All for ourselves, and nothing for other people, seems, in every age of the world, to have been the vile maxim of the masters of mankind.” -Adam Smith

“If you took the most ardent revolutionary, vested him in absolute power, within a year he would be worse than the Tsar himself.” -Mikhail Bakunin

FG · last.fm · soundcloud
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
JoeP (10-11-2017), Stormlight (10-12-2017)
Reply

  Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

 

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Page generated in 0.29511 seconds with 15 queries