Fishy mokey

Default Re: Sam Harris: Why I am a fucking dick with goggles the size of Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_a View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by just me View Post
Harris had the audacity to label this belief system/culture 'the motherlode of bad ideas'.
He actually said "Islam is the motherlode of bad ideas." That has nothing to do with culture.
That isn't what I said. Right up above I plainly state he called the *belief system* the motherlode of bad ideas. It is. Objectively only a philosophy major could argue the point.
Lol @ objectively arguing a ridiculous point.

Quote:
I absolutely agree that the text of the Koran could be neutered the way the text of the Bible has in developed nations, but there is a pretty significant distinction to be made between the Koran and the Bible. I will get to that shortly.
The Bible hasn't been 'neutered' in 'developed nations' (and what is your definition of a 'developed nation' anyway?), it is the same thing that it was. It's just a matter of how it is interpreted. The WBC is not in a 'developed nation' I take it?

Quote:
Quote:
Furthermore, when later asked to explain what he meant with these words, he was quite specific saying that he regarded the religious doctrines inherent in the Qur'an more conducive to inhumane brutality than the religious doctrines inherent in the Bible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Harris
We have an idea here that all religions are all the same; that they are all equally wise, or equally empty, or equally irrelevant ... it's just not true. Our religions are quite different
Linkypoo

In regard to the Bible and the Qur'an that is bullshit.
So here is the distinction I think fair to make between the crap in the Bible and the crap in the Koran that humans use to justify inhumanity.

The Bible has been divided into the 'Old Testament' which is law/rule based and the 'New Testament' which is more personal/faith based rather than rule/law based.

We can look at the many examples of powerful people citing the bible in the name of all manner of inhumanity, and cherry picking whatever they wanted from the old or new testaments. In the old testament is was cool to stone kids for being mouthy and wives for screwing the neighbor, in the new testament this is no longer cool. Yes, Jesus is coming back and he is gonna be really, really pissed. In fact he is going to turn the oceans into blood he is gonna be so pissed.

The thing is, Jesus decides who is going to hell, not you or me. Jesus is the dude who told people to back off a prostitute and then told her she was a sinner and needed to repent. Sure, he was judgy, but at least he didn't call for her to be stoned to death. "Vengeance is mine sayeth the Lord". To me that is the fundamental difference between the Bible and the Koran.

The Koran lacks a 'New Testament'.

It is stuck in the Old testament days where stoning kids and wives is still cool.
Nice story bro, but the evidence is non-existent. In practice even in 'developed countries' there are people blowing up stuff and shooting people in defence of Christianity or Jesus or God.
The Man (01-10-2015)

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law