Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law

Old 10-11-2017, 05:00 AM
Safety glasses off, motherfuckers

Default Re: Mental disorders deserve their own thrad

@erimir: I agree with basically everything you say, but at the same time, I think the prism of malignant narcissism still explains large portions of it, particularly your factor #1. Obama is Trump's White Whale. He was humiliated by Obama at the White House Correspondents' Dinner and, because he's not a normal, well-adjusted human, he can't let it go. It grates at him that Obama was a better president than him, more popular than him, showed him up for his birth certificate bullshit, and on top of all of that, was black! The fact that he's unable to let it go and is obsessed with Obama as a result (to the extent of the pee tape) is pretty much pathological.

Factor #2 is textbook ADHD.

There definitely is a problem in our language with describing people with distorted thinking who harm others. We sometimes use "sociopath" or "psychopath" (which from my understanding is just a colloquialism for antisocial personality disorder), but because they're such extreme words, I think people are often reluctant to deploy them.

@Qingdai: That's one of my favourite essays of all time.

One final point that I don't think I made explicit above is that people's reluctance to diagnose Trump and others like him is, I think, harmful to society. If a person is excused from diagnosis from a mental disorder based on wealth or power, that means that, should they have a disorder like malignant narcissism, not merely the powerful person but those they have power over will suffer as a result. Because people with such disorders are often attracted to positions of power and at least occasionally successful at gaining them, this seems an unusually serious problem for society.

“All for ourselves, and nothing for other people, seems, in every age of the world, to have been the vile maxim of the masters of mankind.” -Adam Smith

last.fm · my music · Marathon Expanded Universe
Thanks, from:
Stormlight (10-11-2017)
Old 10-11-2017, 05:03 AM
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction

Oh I wasn't saying it wasn't related to his narcissism. Just not mostly related to his bullying tactics towards Murkowski and others in Congress.
Thanks, from:
The Man (10-11-2017)
Old 10-11-2017, 04:31 PM
Solipsist

Quote:
Originally Posted by erimir View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man View Post
So I can't agree with the argument that he's not suffering emotionally - in fact, the fact that he is has been one of the few things giving me comfort about his presidency*.
Yes.
Yes.

Quote:
This is where you get, for example, the vindictive knee-jerk reactions against anything Obama was responsible for; to my understanding, simple NPD doesn't explain that.
But isn't that the behaviour of every white person in the Republic Party?

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Thanks, from:
Stormlight (10-12-2017), The Man (10-11-2017)
Old 10-11-2017, 05:54 PM
Safety glasses off, motherfuckers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by erimir View Post
Quote:
So I can't agree with the argument that he's not suffering emotionally - in fact, the fact that he is has been one of the few things giving me comfort about his presidency*.
Yes.
Yes.

Quote:
This is where you get, for example, the vindictive knee-jerk reactions against anything Obama was responsible for; to my understanding, simple NPD doesn't explain that.
But isn't that the behaviour of every white person in the Republic Party?
Well, yes, but not to the extent of monomania; they're just political reactionaries. For any other Republican I can think of, it wouldn't be remotely plausible to think they'd hired hookers to piss in a bed purely because Obama had slept in it. Trump's obsession extends to fanaticism and can't be explained by mere racism or political differences.

“All for ourselves, and nothing for other people, seems, in every age of the world, to have been the vile maxim of the masters of mankind.” -Adam Smith

last.fm · my music · Marathon Expanded Universe
Thanks, from:
JoeP (10-11-2017), Stormlight (10-12-2017)

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law