Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > Lifestyle

Old 10-14-2016, 12:25 PM

Default Re: Iffy therapies given thumbs up by the FDA. SCARY! I'm

Refractive Surgery Shock Syndrome - LASIK Complications

https://www.declineandfallofallevil.com/ebook/

"The fatal tendency of mankind to leave off thinking about a thing
which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill
Old 10-14-2016, 01:45 PM
Quality Contributor

How many babbies need to die??

Quote:
Sadly, children often bear the brunt of this harm. For instance, in its 2012 report, the American Association of Poison Control Center noted that there were a whopping 10,311 reported cases of poison exposure related to “homeopathic agents,” with 8,788 of those reported cases attributed to children five years of age or younger. Of the 10,311 reported cases, 697 required treatment in a health care facility.
Old 10-14-2016, 02:52 PM
Astroid the Foine Loine between a Poirate and a Farrrmer

We just don't know how many people spontaneously combust after lasik surgery, so until we can prove 100% beyond a shadow of a doubt that it is not a problem we should err on the side of caution, i think.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (10-15-2016), Dragar (10-14-2016), livius drusus (10-15-2016), Stephen Maturin (10-14-2016), The Man (10-15-2016), thedoc (10-17-2016)
Old 10-14-2016, 04:31 PM
Forum Killer

godfry+peacegirl for president 2016.
Old 10-15-2016, 12:21 AM

After a lot of research I found an alternative procedure that does not cut into the corneal layer that is responsible for so much anguish after realizing that many of the symptoms are permanent. It's called epi-lasek (not lasik). Has anyone gone through this procedure?

which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill

Last edited by peacegirl; 10-15-2016 at 12:53 PM.
Old 10-15-2016, 12:26 AM
liar in wolf's clothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
After a lot of research I found an alternative procedure that does not cut into the corneal layer that is responsible for so much anguish after realizing that many of the symptoms are permanent. It's called epi-lasek (not lasik). Has anyone gone through this procedure?
Whatever you do, refuse to sign the consent form.
Thanks, from:
Adam (10-25-2016), Angakuk (10-15-2016), livius drusus (10-15-2016), thedoc (10-17-2016), Vivisectus (10-15-2016)
Old 10-15-2016, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckF View Post
Quote:
I realize that without the signature they will not perform the surgery but there are certain protocols the doctor must use to make sure the signature will be honored. Even small procedures must be done with informed consent to protect the doctor from liability.

Old 10-15-2016, 12:45 AM
liar in wolf's clothing

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I realize that without the signature they will not perform the surgery but there are certain protocols the doctor must use to make sure the signature will be honored. Even small procedures must be done with informed consent to protect the doctor from liability.
Whatever you do, don't sign the consent form. You will have no recourse if you do. The doctor could blind you with a laser, or cause serious brain damage.

I have heard a lot about epi-lasek. It is very dangerous, but of course the FDA and the medical device companies go out of their way to try to hide how dangerous it is. That is one of the reasons that doctors want those consent forms - they know that they need to be protected from the consequences of their actions because it is so unsafe. It is very scary!
Thanks, from:
Adam (10-25-2016), Angakuk (10-15-2016), But (10-15-2016), Dragar (10-16-2016), JoeP (10-16-2016), livius drusus (10-15-2016), Stephen Maturin (10-15-2016), The Man (10-15-2016), thedoc (10-17-2016), Vivisectus (10-15-2016)
Old 10-15-2016, 01:01 AM
This is the title that appears beneath your name on your posts.

Quote:
Eyes aren't sense organs, so it should be safe. If the lens gets damaged, remember that a hole can focus light as well as a lens does. As long as everything is bright enough and big enough to be seen, the brain will look out.
Thanks, from:
Adam (10-25-2016), Angakuk (10-15-2016), ChuckF (10-15-2016), chunksmediocrites (10-19-2016), Dragar (10-16-2016), livius drusus (10-15-2016), Stephen Maturin (10-15-2016), The Man (10-15-2016), thedoc (10-17-2016), Vivisectus (10-15-2016)
Old 10-15-2016, 01:14 AM
Flyover Hillbilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by But View Post
Eyes aren't sense organs, so it should be safe.
Maybe, maybe not. According to Lessantology, eye surgery is actually brain surgery. :freakout:

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ~ S. Gecko

"What the fuck is a German muffin?" ~ R. Swanson
Thanks, from:
Adam (10-25-2016), Angakuk (10-15-2016), But (10-15-2016), livius drusus (10-15-2016), The Man (10-15-2016), thedoc (10-17-2016)
Old 10-15-2016, 01:15 AM
puzzler

No dog that has undergone epi-lasec treatment has been able to recognise his master by sight alone afterwards.

Of course a dog can't sign a consent form. He could be trained to push a lever, signifying consent - but that's right out.
Adam (10-25-2016), Angakuk (10-15-2016), But (10-15-2016), ChuckF (10-15-2016), chunksmediocrites (10-19-2016), Dragar (10-16-2016), livius drusus (10-15-2016), Stephen Maturin (10-15-2016), The Man (10-15-2016), thedoc (10-17-2016), Vivisectus (10-15-2016)
Old 10-15-2016, 01:20 AM
Flyover Hillbilly

I wonder what the Protocols of the Learned Elders of Zion has to say about LASIK v. epi-lasek.

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ~ S. Gecko

"What the fuck is a German muffin?" ~ R. Swanson
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (10-15-2016), livius drusus (10-15-2016), The Man (10-15-2016), thedoc (10-17-2016)
Old 10-15-2016, 03:26 AM
rude, crude, lewd, and unsophisticated

Old 10-15-2016, 03:44 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
We don't get the truth about the risks of many treatments, only the benefits.
What planet are you living on? I have never had a medical procedure or treatment where both the benefits and risks have been laboriously enumerated. Sometimes I stop the doctor because I have heard it before and tell them to just get on with it. The medical professionals that I have encountered have gone out of their way to be sure that I understand everything about a procedure or treatment. Apparently you have not been to a doctor in many years and are not familiar with the practices that happen in a doctors office. You need to stop getting your information from comic books and the loonie anti-medicine sites.
Angakuk (10-15-2016)
Old 10-15-2016, 05:05 AM
rude, crude, lewd, and unsophisticated

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc View Post
Quote:
We don't get the truth about the risks of many treatments, only the benefits.
What planet are you living on? I have never had a medical procedure or treatment where both the benefits and risks have been laboriously enumerated. Sometimes I stop the doctor because I have heard it before and tell them to just get on with it. The medical professionals that I have encountered have gone out of their way to be sure that I understand everything about a procedure or treatment. Apparently you have not been to a doctor in many years and are not familiar with the practices that happen in a doctors office. You need to stop getting your information from comic books and the loonie anti-medicine sites.
Oh...I dunno. I have plenty of interactions with physicians. I'm not particularly impressed, either. I had an otorhinolaryngologist who promised me all sorts of phoney shit, acting like he knew it all, and when he fucked it all up, he hid behind the disclaimer and the institution. There are all too many physicians who are lying chickenshits. Finding a trustworthy physician is rather like finding a trustworthy mechanic or plumber; a rarity.
Angakuk (10-15-2016), peacegirl (10-15-2016), Stephen Maturin (10-15-2016)
Old 10-15-2016, 03:13 PM
liar in wolf's clothing

epi-LASEK is becoming a leading cause of vision loss

Quote:
Unnecessary refractive surgery (RK, PRK, LASIK, epi-LASIK, LASEK, epi-LASEK, implantable lenses, refractive lens exchange) is becoming a leading cause of vision loss, and it is completely preventable.
So dangerous. Don't sign the consent!!!!
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (10-15-2016), But (10-15-2016), livius drusus (10-15-2016), The Man (10-15-2016), thedoc (10-17-2016)
Old 10-15-2016, 03:58 PM

Quote:
epi-LASEK is becoming a leading cause of vision loss

Quote:
Unnecessary refractive surgery (RK, PRK, LASIK, epi-LASIK, LASEK, epi-LASEK, implantable lenses, refractive lens exchange) is becoming a leading cause of vision loss, and it is completely preventable.
So dangerous. Don't sign the consent!!!!
Thank you for your input. There are risks with any procedure. I would be suspicious if the laser surgery was said to be 100% safe, although there have been less complications from the epi-lasik procedure than lasik. I'm just worried about the people who don't get the full story and don't do enough research which takes a little digging.

Last edited by peacegirl; 10-15-2016 at 08:51 PM.
Old 10-16-2016, 06:45 PM

The internet has been a game changer. People are sharing their stories in an effort to make sense of what happened to them. You cannot expect to get a full disclosure of the bad outcomes from the doctor. It would be a serious conflict of interest where the doctor would be forced to omit the number and severity of the adverse events, or risk losing his career. If you still want to gamble that you will be lucky with no symptoms, then get the surgery but make no mistake that the stakes are high. If you're just sick of your glasses and buy into the marketing effort that tells you life will be wonderful when you can throw your glasses away with hardly any risk, then you are the perfect candidate. On the other hand, if you feel the benefits do not outweigh the risks, then you may have been saved a devastating outcome that lasik survivors only wished they could undo. But unfortunately it's too late for them. :cry: They now have to live with the permanent changes that have driven so many to distraction, and some to suicide as the only option left. Now their mission is to warn others. If you choose to go ahead with this unnecessary surgery, and you get a result that ruins the quality of your life, don't say no one warned you.

Exposing the LASIK Scam • Index page.

Last edited by peacegirl; 10-16-2016 at 06:57 PM.
Old 10-16-2016, 06:53 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
If you choose to go ahead with this unnecessary surgery.
Lasik surgery is not unnecessary for someone who is loosing their vision, and if it doesn't work, they are no worse off than before, but most of the time it works and vision is restored to normal. Deny the surgery if you are content to go blind and do nothing about it.
Old 10-16-2016, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc View Post
Quote:
If you choose to go ahead with this unnecessary surgery.
Lasik surgery is not unnecessary for someone who is loosing their vision, and if it doesn't work, they are no worse off than before, but most of the time it works and vision is restored to normal. Deny the surgery if you are content to go blind and do nothing about it.

You are so ignorant I have to put you on ignore. We're talking myopic surgery, which does not have to do with someone losing their vision. You're putting your damn foot in your mouth every word you utter just because you want to believe I have nothing positive to offer. Get off your high horse. You're now officially on ignore.

Old 10-16-2016, 08:07 PM
liar in wolf's clothing

So, peacegirl: let's say you go in and are all ready to get this surgery (obviously not signing the consent form, otherwise you will have no recourse and will waive all your rights!) and you ask the ophthalmologist the fateful question: do you think eyes are sense organs? And she says something like "Uh, yes, of course they are, what a bizarre and dumb question." Do you try to educate her or just leave? Or are you comfortable having an eye surgeon who clings to the notion that eyes are sense organs?
Thanks, from:
Adam (10-25-2016), Angakuk (10-17-2016), But (10-16-2016), Crumb (10-16-2016), Stephen Maturin (10-17-2016), The Man (10-16-2016), thedoc (10-17-2016)
Old 10-16-2016, 09:35 PM

Quote:
So, peacegirl: let's say you go in and are all ready to get this surgery (obviously not signing the consent form, otherwise you will have no recourse and will waive all your rights!) and you ask the ophthalmologist the fateful question: do you think eyes are sense organs? And she says something like "Uh, yes, of course they are, what a bizarre and dumb question." Do you try to educate her or just leave? Or are you comfortable having an eye surgeon who clings to the notion that eyes are sense organs?
Stop trying to make a joke out of this thread.

Release/Consent Forms Preclude You From Suing? Medical Malpractice Laws - AllLaw.com

Old 10-16-2016, 09:40 PM
liar in wolf's clothing

Quote:
Quote:

Release/Consent Forms Preclude You From Suing? Medical Malpractice Laws - AllLaw.com
:lol: Yes, peacegirl, so sorry to detract from the seriousness of your clueless prattling on about "When you sign the consent form you have no recourse to sue for damages" etc. etc.

peacegirl, did you read your little linky thing there? Did you learn anything from it?
Thanks, from:
Adam (10-25-2016), Angakuk (10-17-2016), But (10-16-2016), livius drusus (10-16-2016), Stephen Maturin (10-17-2016), The Man (10-16-2016), thedoc (10-17-2016)
Old 10-16-2016, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

:lol: Yes, peacegirl, so sorry to detract from the seriousness of your clueless prattling on about "When you sign the consent form you have no recourse to sue for damages" etc. etc.

peacegirl, did you read your little linky thing there? Did you learn anything from it?
If you are deemed competent and you sign a consent form that explains the known risks ---and there was no negligence --- you can sue but you probably won't win.

Old 10-16-2016, 10:01 PM
liar in wolf's clothing

So, peacegirl, back to the ophthalmologist who believes that the eyes are, in fact, sense organs. Do you let her operate or not?
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (10-17-2016), But (10-16-2016), The Man (10-16-2016), thedoc (10-17-2016)

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > Lifestyle