Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > Food & Drink

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-21-2017, 02:13 AM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

Default Re: Mayonnaise

I am bumping this thread to remind everyone that lisarea eats a single deviled egg and that Watser agreed with her. NEVER FORGET.

There. Civic duty done, I can report that I have been making fake mayo lately out of silken tofu and I unrepentantly love it. It's easy as hell, ridiculously low in calories and carbs, and since tofu is basically flavorless, it tastes like whatever you want it to taste like. I go for an aioli sort of vibe with fresh garlic, lemon juice, smoked paprika, Dijon mustard and salt. The texture comes out perfectly mayonnaise-like, although I whisk in a sprinkling of plant gum to act as an emulsifier and prevent water liquid pooling on top after a few days in the fridge. It's not necessary (a quick rewhisking solves the separation problem just fine), but I like it thoroughly emulsified and slightly thicker.

It works just like mayo in the usual things -- egg/chicken/tuna salad, roast turkey sammiches -- but the best thing about it is that it can act as a creamy element in practically any scenario. I've used it to make salad dressings, dips, stuffing for peppers, even added it to turkey burgers and meatballs as a binder. I mixed it with sambal oelek and tossed it with thinly sliced sushi-grade yellowfin tuna to make a spicy tuna sushi filling and it was so good I could have eaten it with a spoon just by itself.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (06-21-2017), JoeP (06-21-2017), lisarea (06-21-2017), Pan Narrans (06-21-2017), slimshady2357 (06-21-2017), viscousmemories (06-21-2017), Watser? (06-21-2017)

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > Food & Drink