Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > Food & Drink

Old 11-12-2018, 09:00 PM
ChuckF's sock

Default Re: What's for Dinner?

Yesterday I made Julia Child's recipe for beef bourguignon. I found every ingredient except pearl onions :sadcheer: tried 3 different grocery stores to no avail, however I have certainly seen them before. :shrug:

Anyway - 3 cups of red wine in the stew and it came out wonderful, really delicious.

:lemon:..
Thanks, from:
lisarea (11-12-2018), slimshady2357 (11-12-2018)
Old 11-28-2018, 04:26 PM

Pasta Bolognese and red wine! Who is interested in my favorite recipe!
Old 11-28-2018, 05:59 PM
Wielder of the secret flame of spamhammer

An on-topic link ... not obviously commercial ... good work!

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:       :eur:       :m&ms::m&ms::twix::twix: (rotated 180°):m&ms::m&ms:
Thanks, from:
lisarea (11-28-2018)
Old 11-28-2018, 06:00 PM
Wielder of the secret flame of spamhammer

And :welcome3:!

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:       :eur:       :m&ms::m&ms::twix::twix: (rotated 180°):m&ms::m&ms:
Old 12-03-2018, 04:05 AM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

Chicken groundnut stew with rice and mustard greens.

1. Chicken + peanut butter simmering on the stove drives dogs crazy.
2. The Romaine recalls have had a domino effect on all other greens. There's a wall of spinach, plus some turnip and mustard greens at our usually well stocked store. Fortunately, mustard greens are one of our favorites. Ha. Ha.
3. When I got home from the store, I thought, "Dang, I should have gotten some plantains too." When I started cooking dinner, I thought, "Dang, I'm glad I didn't also get plantains," because I was way too tired for that.
4. My rice/slow cooker is still permeated with apple butter from when I made that. I have cleaned it thoroughly, aired it out, and even cooked some white vinegar in it today, but it still smells like apple butter when I make rice. I know it will go away eventually, but if anyone has any better ideas, please tell me about them.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (12-04-2018), JoeP (12-03-2018)
Old 12-05-2018, 06:20 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

I recently discovered that a nearby *deli-take-out place has "vegetarian" turkey and chicken. I was intrigued and mentioned it to the lady at the counter and she offered a slice of the turkey for me to try. Now, like a lot of humangs, I like to eat. I like food. I like a lot of types of foods. But. I don't really have what could be called a refined palate. And to my unrefined palate this slice of turkey was p indistinguishable from a regular slice of (processed and pressed) turkey. I'm thinking about someday soon getting a sammich with their fake meat. I just haven't decided if it's going to be one of their specialty sammies, a regular cold cut style or maybe go full bort and get it in a cheesesteak style.

*This is the place that has literally the greatest samwich created by man, the Bobbie. A thanksgribbing meal on a hoagie roll.
Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (12-12-2018), JoeP (12-05-2018), lisarea (12-06-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 01:20 AM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

OK, I will tell you what happened. Fix yourself a drink and settle in for this one.

Some time back, due to poor inventory control, I ran out of thyme with no advance warning. I needed it right away, and I couldn't order it from my regular trusted supplier, Penzey's, so I got a different variety, from a street dealer, to tide us over. I had some bad allergies at the time, though, so my sense of smell was off, and I just trusted it and put it in the things I needed the thyme for. It wasn't until much later that I made a big batch of za'atar chicken with it and it came out weird and dusty and perfumey, and I realized it was the thyme. So I threw away the za'atar I'd made and the rest of the fake poison counterfeit thyme and ordered some more of the real stuff.

Last night, for 'friends dinner' (which has lately been back to just Mabel and son), I made spaghetti and meatballs, which is a kind of special treat from my regular soup + bread because it's more labor intensive and it's meat heavy, which I try not to do often.

I made tons of meatballs in a slow cooked marinara, as you do. Happily, I have a jar of Italian seasonings that I've pre-mixed in the proportions I like to use, and you see where this is going.

I noticed the sauce was off when I was cooking it, so I corrected it as best I could, but I was in a hurry trying to get everything done, and I don't taste test raw meatballs, so there was nothing I could do there. Mabel's kid still ate like ten of the meatballs, and everyone else ate two or three each, but we have way more leftovers than we should, and it's too much food to throw away, so we still have to eat them.

SUBOPTIMAL.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (12-06-2018), Ensign Steve (12-12-2018), JoeP (12-06-2018), slimshady2357 (12-06-2018), Sock Puppet (12-10-2018)

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > Food & Drink