Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law

Old 04-25-2019, 01:13 PM
Mr. Condescending Dick Nose

Default Re: Pilger: Protect Assange, don’t abuse him

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man View Post
... for years there have been stories of how he has been the world's worst houseguest, ...[My emphasis]
It's like The Man has never heard of smears (no pun intended) and false rumours being used to undermine political opponents.
But (04-25-2019), ceptimus (04-25-2019)
Old 05-13-2019, 06:47 PM
Shitpost Sommelier

Julian Assange: Sweden reopens rape investigation - BBC News

European Arrest Warrant procedure (Sweden) versus a Bilateral Extradition Treaty (America). The latter allows more British government discretion.

:AB: :canada:
Thanks, from:
Ari (05-24-2019), BrotherMan (05-13-2019), chunksmediocrites (05-14-2019), JoeP (05-13-2019), The Man (05-13-2019)
Old 05-13-2019, 10:13 PM
Solipsist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamilah Hauptmann View Post
European Arrest Warrant procedure (Sweden) versus a Bilateral Extradition Treaty (America). The latter allows more British government discretion.
Makes it sound like this should be in the Brexit thread.

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Thanks, from:
Kamilah Hauptmann (05-14-2019), The Man (05-13-2019)
Old 05-14-2019, 12:09 AM
Shitpost Sommelier

Well, ordinarily I'd expect that Westminster would boot him to Sweden and let Sweden deal with Washington. But in this year of Our Buffoon, 2019, who the hell knows.

Thanks, from:
Sock Puppet (05-14-2019), The Man (05-14-2019)
Old 05-23-2019, 11:59 PM
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction

Certainly it's ironic that Assange helped Trump and thought maybe Trump would help him get, for example, appointed the Australian ambassador to the US, but it has backfired spectacularly on him.

I don't feel particularly bad for him.

But the new charges for publishing the information Manning leaked are an attack on 1st Amendment free speech/free press guarantees.
Thanks, from:
Ari (05-24-2019), JoeP (05-24-2019), lisarea (05-24-2019), The Man (05-24-2019)
Old 05-24-2019, 10:27 AM
Solipsist

Indicting a journalist? What the new charges against Julian Assange mean for free speech | Media | The Guardian

Quote:
By indicting Julian Assange under the Espionage Act, the Trump administration has crossed a line that every other US administration has shied away from: challenging the first amendment in defence of government secrets.
At some point, Trump's going to outright say that maybe the second amendment folks could do something about the first amendment folks.

Thanks, from:
Ari (05-24-2019), Crumb (05-24-2019), Kamilah Hauptmann (05-24-2019), lisarea (05-24-2019), The Man (05-24-2019)
Old 05-24-2019, 03:26 PM
ne plus ultraviolet

18 Ways Julian Assange Changed the World
Heavily spun as they use Assange and WikiLeaks interchangeably but a solid reminder as to why the US government wants Assange in prison.
Old 05-24-2019, 05:23 PM
I read some of your foolish scree, then just skimmed the rest.

This could get interesting. While maybe a bluff Assange has threatened info dumps on people before and his need to play big boy movie spy could result in him trying to burn others who are burning him.
Thanks, from:
JoeP (05-24-2019), The Man (05-25-2019)
Old 05-24-2019, 05:33 PM
Shitpost Sommelier

Made me think of:

Thanks, from:
JoeP (05-24-2019)
Old 05-24-2019, 07:02 PM

I did see something that suggested that the nature of these charges could make it much more difficult for the Trump DOJ to get Assange extradited to the US.

So it might actually... help him?
Thanks, from:
The Man (05-25-2019)
Old 05-24-2019, 07:18 PM
Solipsist

Yes, it did seem this might backfire on the US administration*.

But then (a) they have not been noted for their competency or consistency and (b) for Dump, it's much more about the show, staying in the news and getting people to argue, than it is about any specific results.

Thanks, from:
The Man (05-25-2019)
Old 05-31-2019, 02:34 PM
Mr. Condescending Dick Nose

The latest twist in the labyrinthine plot. It is one I have no difficulty at all in accepting:

Quote:
Originally reported by The BBC
Nils Melzer urged Britain not to extradite the Wikileaks founder, warning that his human rights would be violated and that he is not fit to stand trial. [...] "We could see that Assange showed all the symptoms that are typical for prolonged exposure to psychological torture.
[my emphasis]
Julian Assange subjected to psychological torture, UN expert says - BBC News
But (06-01-2019), JoeP (05-31-2019), Kamilah Hauptmann (05-31-2019), lisarea (05-31-2019), The Man (05-31-2019)
Old 06-02-2019, 07:06 PM
This is the title that appears beneath your name on your posts.

Quote:
AMY GOODMAN: The British Foreign Minister Jeremy Hunt has responded to your report by saying, quote, “This is wrong. Assange chose to hide in the embassy and was always free to leave and face justice. The UN Special Rapporteur should allow British courts to make their judgments without his interference or inflammatory accusations.” Nils Melzer, your response?

NILS MELZER: Well, I—actually, I have responded to him. And I said that, “With all due respect, sir, but Mr. Assange was about as free to leave as someone who is sitting on a rubber boat in a shark pool.”

I believe it is important to see that the Swedish prosecution, the Ecuadorean authorities and also the U.K. judicial authorities so far have not shown the impartiality and objectivity that is required under the rule of law. He has been expelled from the Ecuadorean Embassy without any due process of law, and we’re talking about the formal lifting of an asylum status and the suspension of his nationality citizenship, which normally would not be done, obviously, by a president on a unilateral decision, but this would be a court proceeding where the defendant or the concerned person would have a right to defend himself.

The way the Swedish prosecution has been conducted also shows that Mr. Assange was not given the opportunity to defend himself properly in public against allegations of sexual offense without at the same time having to expose himself to a possible extradition to the United States, which obviously is not related to the sexual offenses. But he was not given the opportunity to do so. So, for 10 years, his reputation and credibility and his human dignity have been gravely affected by these allegations, and the Swedish prosecution deliberately prevented him from actually taking an official position against that.

Now, in the U.K. courts, we have seen a similar type of bias. The same day he was dragged out of the embassy after more than six years, on the same day, he was pulled into a U.K. court. He was given, reportedly, less than 15 minutes with his defense lawyer to prepare a defense, and then, in a very short hearing, was convicted for bail violation. And the judge even insulted him as being a narcissist who cannot get beyond himself. Now, as a lawyer, having worked at court myself, I cannot imagine how a judge could come to such a conclusion, when the defendant didn’t say anything else in that hearing than “I plead not guilty.”

Last edited by But; 06-02-2019 at 07:22 PM.
Thanks, from:
chunksmediocrites (06-04-2019), The Lone Ranger (06-02-2019)
Old 06-02-2019, 07:58 PM

To continue that analogy, it’s as if Assange rowed out into shark infested waters in a rubber boat, tossed chum into the water and now claims the sharks he attracted are psychologically torturing him because he can’t escape the boat.

Fuck you assange.

If this was someone else who had acted differently I would have a different opinion but of course a different person wouldn’t have made life in the consulate hell for everyone around him because he raped some women and ran away from the trial.

He broke a cardinal rule. Dont do too many disparate crimes at once. One of the many things that rub me the wrong way about him is the assumed privilege that somehow because he’s special he should be allowed to comit all crimes in a vacuum from all others.
Thanks, from:
erimir (06-02-2019), Kamilah Hauptmann (06-02-2019), slimshady2357 (06-03-2019), Sock Puppet (06-03-2019), The Lone Ranger (06-03-2019), The Man (06-02-2019)
Old 06-04-2019, 12:40 AM
ne plus ultraviolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari View Post
To continue that analogy, it’s as if Assange rowed out into shark infested waters in a rubber boat, tossed chum into the water and now claims the sharks he attracted are psychologically torturing him because he can’t escape the boat.

Fuck you assange.

If this was someone else who had acted differently I would have a different opinion but of course a different person wouldn’t have made life in the consulate hell for everyone around him because he raped some women and ran away from the trial.

He broke a cardinal rule. Dont do too many disparate crimes at once. One of the many things that rub me the wrong way about him is the assumed privilege that somehow because he’s special he should be allowed to comit all crimes in a vacuum from all others.
Suspected rapists should be prosecuted, if it is believed the crime of rape has been committed. Just so we're clear from go. From today:
Swedish court declines to detain Belmarsh prison resident Julian Assange
Quote:
A Swedish court has ruled against detaining WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange or seeking his extradition over an allegation of rape.

The Swedish prosecutor said she would still seek a European Investigation Order so that she could question Assange.
Continue to see Assange in whatever light you prefer; but be aware the CIA is selling "Assange is a slimy dickbag" -not a hard sell, but nonetheless- full time. Because when it comes down to a US courtroom where the government has a real potential of stripping basic functions of journalism according to the ACLU, under the guise of giving this dickbag the what-for- someone already reviled and made less-than in the court of public opinion- that's super-useful for a secretive government that wants to keep murdering people around the globe in the name of freedom, without anyone knowing what they do or reporting on it.
Old 06-04-2019, 01:49 AM

I don't know enough about the Swedish court system to know what that indicates about his innocence vs. the nature of the allegations (which might be difficult to prosecute without more evidence or might not merit an attempt at extradition for various reasons, etc.).

But I do know that Assange has promoted plenty enough anti-feminist shit that the behavior described in the allegations sounds entirely plausible.

Unrelatedly, I still lol when I think about how Assange thought he could get Don Jr to help him get appointed the Aussie ambassador to the US.
Thanks, from:
Kamilah Hauptmann (06-04-2019), The Man (06-04-2019)
Old 06-04-2019, 04:24 AM

It’s not so much the CIA as his previous friends and everyone that interacts with him that says he’s an asshole. It’s also silly to think I want to see journalism destroyed just to punish Assange, he’s really not worth it. I dont actually support his extradition and was kinda hoping he would stop growing mold in the embassy by either dying or escaping and we never heard from him again.
Thanks, from:
chunksmediocrites (06-04-2019), The Man (06-04-2019)
Old 06-04-2019, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari View Post

The cardinal rule is don't fuck with power. That's all.
Old 06-04-2019, 05:04 AM

That’s why he hasn’t challenged Russia.
Old 06-04-2019, 05:17 AM

I think there is no evidence of Wikileaks getting material from Russia and not publishing it. Sure, the Russians seem to be less queasy about just straight offing someone with poison. Must be some cultural thing I guess.
Old 06-04-2019, 05:36 AM

Wikileaks turned down data on russia.
WikiLeaks Turned Down Leaks on Russian Government During U.S. Presidential Campaign – Foreign Policy
Thanks, from:
But (06-04-2019), chunksmediocrites (06-04-2019), The Man (06-04-2019)
Old 06-04-2019, 05:56 AM

Oh, my bad. If you need the stuff you can get it here:

Asia :: Distributed Denial of Secrets
Thanks, from:
Ari (06-04-2019)
Old 07-28-2021, 08:07 PM
Shitpost Sommelier

Julian Assange stripped of citizenship by Ecuador | Julian Assange | The Guardian

Thanks, from:
JoeP (07-28-2021), slimshady2357 (07-28-2021)

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law