Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-08-2016, 01:10 PM
thedoc's Avatar
thedoc thedoc is offline
I'm Deplorable.
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: XMMCCCIV
Default Mortality.

My wife is having a hysterectomy in 8 days due to Uterine cancer and my younger daughter is having fits. She asked me how I am doing, so I explained that I have dealt with the issues many years ago. About 10 years ago I was diagnosed with congestive heart failure and have been aware of just how close to death I am ever since. My son is in a similar situation, having survived lymphoma, but neither of my daughters have been in that situation and neither has my wife, so they are all having to deal with it now. I really upset my one daughter and wife, when I made the observation that since I am retired and no longer taking care of 2 of my grandchildren as often, I like to lay down on the couch in the afternoon and take a rest or a nap. I remember that my father had been outside mowing the lawn during the morning, and as he usually does, he came in and laid down on the couch, he died in his sleep, and when I mentioned that, my wife and daughter got really upset. I guess the point is that some people live through a situation that makes them aware of their own mortality, and others do not and can't quite understand.
__________________
The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you donít know anything about. Wayne Dyer
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (06-09-2016), Kamilah Hauptmann (06-08-2016), lisarea (06-13-2016), Stormlight (06-09-2016)
  #2  
Old 06-13-2016, 07:55 PM
Awareness's Avatar
Awareness Awareness is offline
Always keep cool.
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Netherlands
Gender: Male
Posts: MDCCCVIII
Images: 9
Default Re: Mortality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc View Post
My wife is having a hysterectomy in 8 days due to Uterine cancer and my younger daughter is having fits. She asked me how I am doing, so I explained that I have dealt with the issues many years ago. About 10 years ago I was diagnosed with congestive heart failure and have been aware of just how close to death I am ever since. My son is in a similar situation, having survived lymphoma, but neither of my daughters have been in that situation and neither has my wife, so they are all having to deal with it now. I really upset my one daughter and wife, when I made the observation that since I am retired and no longer taking care of 2 of my grandchildren as often, I like to lay down on the couch in the afternoon and take a rest or a nap. I remember that my father had been outside mowing the lawn during the morning, and as he usually does, he came in and laid down on the couch, he died in his sleep, and when I mentioned that, my wife and daughter got really upset. I guess the point is that some people live through a situation that makes them aware of their own mortality, and others do not and can't quite understand.


I am sorry to hear it thedoc, but i hope you are all right considering the circumstances....and i wish the best for your wife....
__________________
REMEMBER...........THE COLOUR OF YOUR SKIN IS ONLY AND JUST ONLY THE COLOUR OF YOUR SKIN, HOW YOU ARE AS A PERSON MAKES YOU A WHOLE PERSON AND NOTHING ELSE....HOW YOU HAVE SEX , HOW YOU DRESS UP, HOW YOU PRAY only gives away your hobbies

HOW YOU ARE AS A PERSON IS THE MASTER !!
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
Stormlight (06-20-2016)
  #3  
Old 06-13-2016, 10:30 PM
thedoc's Avatar
thedoc thedoc is offline
I'm Deplorable.
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: XMMCCCIV
Default Re: Mortality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awareness View Post
I am sorry to hear it thedoc, but i hope you are all right considering the circumstances....and i wish the best for your wife....
Thankyou, I'll tell her.
__________________
The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you donít know anything about. Wayne Dyer
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
Awareness (06-13-2016)
  #4  
Old 06-16-2016, 04:06 AM
thedoc's Avatar
thedoc thedoc is offline
I'm Deplorable.
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: XMMCCCIV
Default Re: Mortality.

Arrival is at 5:45 AM, it must be the night shift that is up at that time in the morning. The surgery is at 7:00 AM, why do these doctors need to start so early in the morning, couldn't they schedule things at a more civilized time of day?
__________________
The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you donít know anything about. Wayne Dyer
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (06-16-2016), JoeP (06-16-2016), lisarea (06-16-2016), Stormlight (06-20-2016), The Man (06-16-2016)
  #5  
Old 06-16-2016, 04:24 AM
lisarea's Avatar
lisarea lisarea is offline
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: XVMXL
Blog Entries: 1
Images: 3
Default Re: Mortality.

That does suck, but getting in so early in the morning is probably a little easier on her, with the fasting and all. It'd be tougher on her to get up at a normal hour and get ready to go without being able to eat or drink anything, including coffee or even water.

I hope everything goes well for you guys. Keep us posted.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-16-2016, 04:25 AM
Angakuk's Avatar
Angakuk Angakuk is offline
NeoTillichian Hierophant & Partisan Hack
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Iowa
Gender: Male
Posts: MXCCCLXXXII
Default Re: Mortality.

It's all about their tee time at the golf course.
__________________
Old Pain In The Ass says: I am on a mission from God to comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable; to bring faith to the doubtful and doubt to the faithful. :shakebible:
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
Stormlight (06-20-2016)
  #7  
Old 06-16-2016, 05:15 PM
ShottleBop's Avatar
ShottleBop ShottleBop is offline
The Dread Poster Robert
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Greater San Diego Area
Gender: Male
Posts: MMCMLXXXIV
Images: 8
Default Re: Mortality.

Also, I think it's better to get it done earlier in the day--things happen during procedures that take more time that was initially thought would be required, and the time available for later procedures gets truncated. That's how Mrs. S ended up with nasal surgery that removed only half of her polyps--late in the day, and a doctor who didn't want to stay late.
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (06-16-2016), Crumb (06-16-2016), The Man (06-16-2016)
  #8  
Old 06-16-2016, 05:21 PM
Angakuk's Avatar
Angakuk Angakuk is offline
NeoTillichian Hierophant & Partisan Hack
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Iowa
Gender: Male
Posts: MXCCCLXXXII
Default Re: Mortality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShottleBop View Post
Also, I think it's better to get it done earlier in the day--things happen during procedures that take more time that was initially thought would be required, and the time available for later procedures gets truncated. That's how Mrs. S ended up with nasal surgery that removed only half of her polyps--late in the day, and a doctor who didn't want to stay late because it would cause him to miss his tee time.
:fixed:
__________________
Old Pain In The Ass says: I am on a mission from God to comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable; to bring faith to the doubtful and doubt to the faithful. :shakebible:
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
ShottleBop (06-16-2016), The Man (06-16-2016)
  #9  
Old 06-16-2016, 06:02 PM
Vivisectus's Avatar
Vivisectus Vivisectus is offline
Astroid the Foine Loine between a Poirate and a Farrrmer
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: VMMCCLXXVII
Blog Entries: 1
Default Re: Mortality.

Best of luck to you guys!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-16-2016, 08:36 PM
thedoc's Avatar
thedoc thedoc is offline
I'm Deplorable.
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: XMMCCCIV
Default Re: Mortality.

She seems to have gone through the surgery OK, but she comes out of anesthesia slowly and she was drifting in and out of sleep, so I left around noon and I'll be going back in shortly. The surgeon said there was no indication that the cancer had spread, but we'll know more when the results of the tests come back, hopefully later today.
__________________
The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you donít know anything about. Wayne Dyer
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (06-16-2016), lisarea (06-16-2016), ShottleBop (06-16-2016), Stephen Maturin (06-18-2016), Stormlight (06-20-2016), The Man (06-16-2016), Vivisectus (06-17-2016)
  #11  
Old 06-16-2016, 08:56 PM
Awareness's Avatar
Awareness Awareness is offline
Always keep cool.
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Netherlands
Gender: Male
Posts: MDCCCVIII
Images: 9
Default Re: Mortality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc View Post
She seems to have gone through the surgery OK, but she comes out of anesthesia slowly and she was drifting in and out of sleep, so I left around noon and I'll be going back in shortly. The surgeon said there was no indication that the cancer had spread, but we'll know more when the results of the tests come back, hopefully later today.
Then i 'll try to pray for you, but i wish you and your wife and your daughter a lot of strength thedoc
__________________
REMEMBER...........THE COLOUR OF YOUR SKIN IS ONLY AND JUST ONLY THE COLOUR OF YOUR SKIN, HOW YOU ARE AS A PERSON MAKES YOU A WHOLE PERSON AND NOTHING ELSE....HOW YOU HAVE SEX , HOW YOU DRESS UP, HOW YOU PRAY only gives away your hobbies

HOW YOU ARE AS A PERSON IS THE MASTER !!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-17-2016, 06:33 PM
thedoc's Avatar
thedoc thedoc is offline
I'm Deplorable.
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: XMMCCCIV
Default Re: Mortality.

We're home.
__________________
The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you donít know anything about. Wayne Dyer
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (06-17-2016), JoeP (06-17-2016), Stormlight (06-20-2016), The Man (06-17-2016)
  #13  
Old 06-17-2016, 07:29 PM
Awareness's Avatar
Awareness Awareness is offline
Always keep cool.
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Netherlands
Gender: Male
Posts: MDCCCVIII
Images: 9
Default Re: Mortality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc View Post
We're home.
Okay thedoc
__________________
REMEMBER...........THE COLOUR OF YOUR SKIN IS ONLY AND JUST ONLY THE COLOUR OF YOUR SKIN, HOW YOU ARE AS A PERSON MAKES YOU A WHOLE PERSON AND NOTHING ELSE....HOW YOU HAVE SEX , HOW YOU DRESS UP, HOW YOU PRAY only gives away your hobbies

HOW YOU ARE AS A PERSON IS THE MASTER !!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-17-2016, 11:55 PM
thedoc's Avatar
thedoc thedoc is offline
I'm Deplorable.
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: XMMCCCIV
Default Re: Mortality.

I apologize for not getting back to this thread sooner, but we have had the 1 week follow up when we were told that there was no indication that the cancer had spread, and she was given permission to drive but not to go back to work. We also had the 3 week follow up and she was told that she could go beck to work, but only desk work, and the lifting restriction still applied. She's getting antsy to do things, so I'm thinking that she is feeling better.
__________________
The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you donít know anything about. Wayne Dyer
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (07-18-2016), JoeP (07-18-2016), lisarea (07-18-2016), livius drusus (07-20-2016), ShottleBop (07-18-2016), Stephen Maturin (07-19-2016), Stormlight (07-19-2016), Vivisectus (07-18-2016)
  #15  
Old 07-18-2016, 01:32 PM
Vivisectus's Avatar
Vivisectus Vivisectus is offline
Astroid the Foine Loine between a Poirate and a Farrrmer
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: VMMCCLXXVII
Blog Entries: 1
Default Re: Mortality.

glad to hear things went well!
Reply With Quote
Reply

  Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

 

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Page generated in 1.01988 seconds with 13 queries