Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Atrium

Old 12-22-2017, 08:58 PM
A fellow sophisticate

Default Re: Weird Dream(s)

I had the weirdest serial dream this morning, one that continued after several wakeful periods. I dreamed I was a visitor at a resort that was in a renovated old convent on a cliff overlooking the ocean or a large lake. There were piney woods nearby. The first night there, I went out with some other guest to descend the cliff to the beach in moonlight. The cliffs were lit up by strategically placed solar floodlights, it was magical. Atop the cliff in a clearing in the woods, I met a nice tall male employee of the resort, sort of a forest ranger type. He was talking to us about the wildlife in the area, when all of the sudden he starts yelling, "We don't want you here!", and runs toward the edge of the forest. In fact, he ran right into the dark forest cover, yelling and waving his arms. He came back a short while later, explaining that he was scaring off a bear. "A bear?" one guest exclaimed. "Yes, we have bears here. One should be cautious, especially at night.

After that I went to have dinner at their restaurant called "Shangr-La", where you ordered at your table via Amazon Dot. "Alexa, I would like to have a ribeye steak, medium rare, baked potato, and iced tea." "Your order of a ribeye steak and baked potato will be served in 23 minutes," Alex replied almost instantly. The next morning when I went there for breakfast, I sat down, Alexa greeting me, "Welcome back to Shangri-La, Warren. How may I help you?"

One the grounds of this resort was a large building that contained a rather fun obstacle course that started with a pool where you waded with fishes if you wanted to. Different paths through the obstacle course were based on degree of difficulty. I chose one that was rather difficult, at one point requiring a leap from one ladder to another. There was a safety net below though, so it wasn't as risky as it could have been. The paths all ended at a large room where people, families with children and others, were doing art work or crafts. It was fun play.

A few miles away was a more desert-like area, that looked a lot like the canyon country of Utah. I went for a hike in that area, finding a cave which I explored. While in the cave, I met a police officer in uniform, who was looking for a lost child. I assisted the search. The officer found the child had fallen off a low cliff and twisted an ankle. We went back to the resort lodge together, taking turns giving the little girl piggy-back rides.

Later that second day, I went down to the beach so swim and lounge. While on the beach, I saw a boy toddler playing with rocks on the shore. He was quite obviously blind, and alone. I clicked some rocks together, much to his amusement. Then a voice bubbled up out of the wet sand, saying, "How would you like if someone clicked your stones together?" I was naked at the time, cringing at the thought. I got up to walk on down the beach. After a bit, I noticed the water was rising for whatever reason, so I went back. I found the baby boy was under water. I grabbed him up out of the water, he spit up some water, but seemed okay. I saved a drunken man who was also submerged. Then I carried the baby down the beach, looking for his parents.

I ended up carrying the baby back to the resort lodge to look for someone in management. Wonders wouldn't have it, the management was all nuns. It was still a convent. I was still naked, and carrying a naked baby, but it didn't seem weird at all at the time. Then the baby spoke in a very adult voice, saying, "It's time for you to get up." My alarm on my phone was sounding; it was indeed time to get up. Weird dreams.
Ari (12-30-2017), Corona688 (12-26-2017), Kamilah Hauptmann (12-22-2017), lisarea (12-23-2017)
Old 12-23-2017, 05:44 AM
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingfod View Post
I dreamed Ed Sheeran was giving me guitar lessons. I went to his hotel room with my guitar. He was on the bed in his underwear, said he had a gift for me, a massage. No thanks, Ed, I don't like redheads.
Hey, you should go and fuck love yourself.
Thanks, from:
Dingfod (12-26-2017)
Old 01-07-2018, 12:32 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

So there's this commercial that's playing on children's shows that has a little boy trying to clean something out of the lint trap in a dryer, yelling up to his mom that he's got it, but she can't hear him because the washer is so loud, so she comes downstairs all mad, and then it switches to a voiceover and the kid says, "I used to have a family, but now I live in a children's home," and then they pitch their quiet washers and dryers that won't piss your mom off so much she sends you to an orphanage.

So, as part of my duties with the watchdog organization I guess I work for, I am told to make an official tweet about this commercial. And the way you send the "official" tweet is that you go to the tea house in the strip mall in the middle of the bifurcated highway and tape the text to the door so they can officially tweet it.

So I get there, and the whole strip mall is places called stuff like "Whole Luck Dragon" and "Happy Jade" and stuff, and there's also one called "Health Witness" for some reason, but they're pretty much indistinguishable and they all seem to be some variety of tea house. So I'm going in them and asking, and they're all pretending they're other kinds of business. Like one guy makes me sit on the floor and pretends to cut my hair, and at another one, they get a guy to come out with a box pretending that he's selling burritos.

So I sat outside for a really long time, I guess, and just waited for someone else to go tape a tweet to the door so I could see which one it was.

It was the one on the corner.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (01-07-2018), But (01-08-2018), Corona688 (01-15-2018), Crumb (01-07-2018), JoeP (01-07-2018), Kamilah Hauptmann (01-07-2018), Sock Puppet (01-08-2018)
Old 01-07-2018, 06:22 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarea View Post
watchdog organization
:pibble:

Quote:
It was the one on the corner.
:phew:
Thanks, from:
lisarea (01-07-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 11:56 AM
A fellow sophisticate

I dreamed my lawyer called me without identifying himself. I recognized his voice when he said "What did you want to ask the judge?"
Me: "And this is regarding?"
Him: ...
Me: Woke the fuck up, wondering what prompted that stupid little dream.
JoeP (01-10-2018), Kamilah Hauptmann (01-10-2018), lisarea (01-10-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 05:56 PM
California Sober

For the last 2 mornings I have had dreams about non-consensual sexual touching. Instead of leaving or telling the guy to fuck off, for some reason my only option was to try to explain and argue and convince him to stop, which of course was not effective. It wasn't so much traumatic as just really annoying, both in the dream and after waking up.

I'm concerned about this. My dreams, especially the bad/weird ones, tend to follow just a few specific themes and they've been the same few themes for as long as I can remember. This is new and I don't like it. I hope it doesn't stick around.
ceptimus (01-15-2018), JoeP (01-10-2018), lisarea (01-10-2018), Qingdai (01-11-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 10:01 PM
Solipsist

Try introducing massively long URLs into your dreams.

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (01-11-2018), ceptimus (01-15-2018), Crumb (01-10-2018), Dingfod (01-10-2018), Ensign Steve (01-11-2018), slimshady2357 (01-11-2018)
Old 01-11-2018, 07:21 AM
Dogehlaugher -Scrutari

I've been having a series of dreams where I revisit places that only exist in my dreams, and I haven't had those dreams for years and years. Plus the ice cream cones with Hot fudge, but oddly hip and low impact (did you have to give me that ice cream scoop in my hand/ Was there not more sanitary way to deliver ice cream?)
the gentrification of my dreams (really? Can I never escape hipsters and that?)

I am sad my dreams are being gentrified as well as my life. That is all
JoeP (01-11-2018), Kamilah Hauptmann (01-11-2018), lisarea (01-11-2018), SR71 (02-08-2018)
Old 01-12-2018, 12:06 AM
A fellow sophisticate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingfod View Post
I dreamed my lawyer called me without identifying himself. I recognized his voice when he said "What did you want to ask the judge?"
Me: "And this is regarding?"
Him: ...
Me: Woke the fuck up, wondering what prompted that stupid little dream.
It was a precognitive dream. I heard from my lawyer yesterday, through the mail, a request for information from the other party's lawyer. I provided most of what they asked for this morning, but I have to make another trip there tomorrow with a few more things.
JoeP (01-12-2018), Kamilah Hauptmann (01-12-2018), lisarea (01-12-2018)
Old 01-14-2018, 12:44 AM
Stoic Derelict... The cup is empty

I was a back as an infantry squad leader. Right before setting off on a mission, right at the line of departure, I blurted out to my squad, "After all this time doing this, I still don't grasp the fundamental meaning of discipline". They looked at me aghast.

Fast forward

In the middle of the mission, there was a big old 3 story federal period building on a mostly bare ridge. We were looking out toward it from behind some vegetation, and just before were about to continue on our way, I said "I need to find out who's in there". My squad all seemed pretty impressed with that, for some reason.

The building was inspired by a show I saw earlier that day, something about Tesla. They were trying to find the location of his lab in Colorado Springs. They had a newspaper photo of the lab with the Printers Union home in the background. The home was a big handsome structure sticking up starkly from the empty plain.

Not that weird, really, but I rarely remember dreams, so I wanted to write it down.
BrotherMan (01-14-2018), But (01-14-2018), ceptimus (01-15-2018), Ensign Steve (01-16-2018), lisarea (01-14-2018)
Old 01-31-2018, 04:52 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

I had an dream where a friend and I were saying goodbye to three young women we'd been raising since they were babbies. (I can't explain the relationship.) See, they were off on their adult adventures now - college or something else, I dunno. Everbody had on their sad faces except me. I was being silly and stoic, organizing our commemorative buttons. They were nice looking buttons, twenty five total - five each of a set of five designed by each of us. I got them all sorted so that we had one of each type for each of us. Once I did that, I said "There, that's done." And then the realization hit me they weren't my little girls any more. Then I said either "And now there's nothing else I can teach you," or "And now you don't need me anymore." And started a-blubbering not unlike an babby myself.
Thanks, from:
But (01-31-2018), ceptimus (01-31-2018), JoeP (01-31-2018), Kamilah Hauptmann (01-31-2018), lisarea (01-31-2018), SR71 (01-31-2018)
Old 01-31-2018, 05:44 PM
here to bore you with pictures

This weekend, I was having what seemed to be a camera's eye view of a family (not my own) visiting an aquarium. The kids crawled into a child-sized tunnel intended to let the kids see some of the underwater creatures. When the camera moved into the tunnel, I experienced an intense attack of claustrophobia and woke up.

My heart was pounding, and it took quite a while to relax and go back to sleep. I knew I didn't really like confined spaces, but I've never been that panicked about it.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (02-01-2018), But (01-31-2018), JoeP (01-31-2018), lisarea (01-31-2018)
Old 02-04-2018, 03:27 AM
A fellow sophisticate

I dreamed I was in the L-shaped living room of a house. There was a large picture window in the middle of the L, through which was the magnificent view of a mountain range in the distance. I remember noting the window needed to be cleaned. I went into the much darker kitchen to get a beverage out of the refrigerator. There was no refrigerator where one should have been, but the upper freezer compartment was on the wall right where it would have been.
Ari (02-04-2018), But (02-05-2018), Ensign Steve (02-06-2018), lisarea (02-04-2018)
Old 02-04-2018, 10:14 AM
A fellow sophisticate

From last year, on Facebook:

I awoke from a dream in which a man was descending a cliff to rescue a woman and a girl being held by an evil man in a cliffside castle. The hopeful rescuer was using rope and pitons, and a climbing axe to descend the nearly vertical cliff face. The two samurai accompanying him were not using such. The going was slow, driving pitons, pulling rope, etc. The older samurai kept whispering loudly, "Huddy, huddy!" The younger samurai tired of the progress, pushed a lantern up next to the rope, which shortly began to smolder. The man fell when the rope burned in two, the two samurai jumped after him. The trio landed in a big white-barked tree, a flock of blue and white birds taking flight as they did. Up close, the birds looked like pigeons or doves except they had blue lizard heads. That was the end of the weird, yet vividly real dream. I overslept my alarm by 40 minutes, so I think the samurai was telling me to hurry and get up.

My dreams are lacist.
Ari (02-04-2018), But (02-05-2018), Ensign Steve (02-06-2018), lisarea (02-04-2018), SR71 (02-08-2018)
Old 02-04-2018, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qingdai View Post
I've been having a series of dreams where I revisit places that only exist in my dreams, and I haven't had those dreams for years and years.
I've always been curious about this. Do most people have, like, recurring dream locations?

I am pretty sure that if I put some real effort into it, I could map out an entire dream town of recurring cities and buildings and streets and things, some of which are obviously modified versions of real life places, and some from movies, but some seem to be made up of whole cloth. But they're all connected. If I'm at the expanding house, I can get to the grocery store or the strip mall or gymnasium or public house/dance hall or whatever.

Not all my dreams are there, but more than half the ones i remember are.

Thanks, from:
Ari (02-05-2018), But (02-05-2018), SR71 (02-08-2018)
Old 02-04-2018, 07:20 PM
happy now, Mussolini?

Last part of a dream from last night -- I was traveling by car from one meeting to another along this weird road where my lane was in the middle and oncoming traffic were in lanes to my left and to my right. Suddenly this guy in a pickup truck coming the other way entered my lane, then did a 180 and was now driving in reverse in front of me. He kept almost hitting oncoming cars because he would swerve into their lanes, going 60 mph in reverse and steering by way of his rear view mirror. But the whole time he was mostly staring at me, only glancing in his mirrors. I knew (and he knew) it was only a matter of time before he smashed into someone right in front of me and then I would get killed smashing into the accident. Then I woke up.

Thanks, from:
But (02-05-2018), lisarea (02-04-2018)
Old 02-05-2018, 04:11 AM
This is the title that appears beneath your name on your posts.

Quote:
Quote:
I've been having a series of dreams where I revisit places that only exist in my dreams, and I haven't had those dreams for years and years.
I've always been curious about this. Do most people have, like, recurring dream locations?
I can think of several off the top of my head, and the more I think about it, the more pop up. I can remember almost nothing about what happened there, only if I was traveling on foot, by car or train. I can locate them some of the time roughly, but most of them aren't really anywhere. I don't visit them twice unless it's the same night and I wake up in between.
Thanks, from:
Ari (02-05-2018), lisarea (02-05-2018)
Old 02-05-2018, 04:29 AM
I read some of your foolish scree, then just skimmed the rest.

Quote:
I am pretty sure that if I put some real effort into it, I could map out an entire dream town of recurring cities and buildings and streets and things, some of which are obviously modified versions of real life places, and some from movies, but some seem to be made up of whole cloth.
In cases where people have kept meticulous records of their dreams it does seem that the same locations pop up again and again and are as much contextual as they are physical. Like a sensation of "grandma's house" but not the same layout at previous dreams let alone the actual house. Or like I went to a multiple building highschool so school dreams have an outdoors with rows of buildings instead of the single giant building school hollywood likes to use.

In my lucid dreaming experiments I've discovered that at least for me there seems to be a 'loaded map' as it where, where things stay consistent, but you hit the edge or cause it to reload and things can shift. A good example has been phasing through walls, often what's on the other side of the wall stays the same even though I can no longer see it, but you go do something else and come back and it's a gamble whether it's the same, different or an unfilled void.
Thanks, from:
But (02-05-2018), Corona688 (02-05-2018), JoeP (02-05-2018), lisarea (02-05-2018)
Old 02-06-2018, 08:14 PM
California Sober

Quote:
Quote:

I am pretty sure that if I put some real effort into it, I could map out an entire dream town of recurring cities and buildings and streets and things, some of which are obviously modified versions of real life places, and some from movies, but some seem to be made up of whole cloth. But they're all connected. If I'm at the expanding house, I can get to the grocery store or the strip mall or gymnasium or public house/dance hall or whatever.

Not all my dreams are there, but more than half the ones i remember are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign Steve View Post
Not a specific dream. Just meta stuff.

I dream about theme parks a lot. Usually not a specific park, but one time it was supposedly Disneyland, but bore no resemblance to actual Disneyland. Usually it's some made-up no-name park that I made up in my head.

Other normal dream elements come in, depending probably on my mental state. Things like trying and failing to find the entrance/exit. Trying and failing to find specific people. Suddenly realizing I'm supposed to be somewhere else. Being unprepared as far as tickets or clothes. All just generic dream stuff.

But the dreamscape, the playground or whatever, it's always some totally involved theme park with tons of detail as far as what the attractions are, what the theme and decor are, etc. Sometimes there are elements from places I have been irl and others are totally out there and random. It's rarely the same from one dream to another. And the people I am with vary all over the place too.

Okay, specifically: My one from last night had waterslides (did not pee the bed! :phew:), and bey was there and maybe my dad?
So, no, not the same location every time, but very often my dream location is "some theme park". I think even if it didn't change from one dream to the next, there's no way I could map it, because they're all labyrinthine and I always get lost.
Ari (02-06-2018), lisarea (02-06-2018), SR71 (02-08-2018)
Old 02-06-2018, 11:05 PM

I occasionally have theme park and rollercoaster dreams, although it's especially fun/odd when roller coasters invade other things like, 'No I haven't tried the school's new roller coaster out yet!' or 'A roller coaster does seem like a strange replacement for the down elevator in this office building.'

One of my common locations is a multi story 'party' house with one floor that has what is basically a decent sized kids arcade and gambling but in a partly shut down, lights off, no one home mode, or partly through a holiday switch over with like a Christmas tree or animatronic Santa next to the dark ghostly hallows exhibit entrance.

I've been pondering ways to record dreams for awhile now as it's so frustrating to have dreams be so very visual and photo realistic and yet have only words after the fact to show what was happening. If you don't want to get a good nights sleep there's gadgets that can wake you right after a dream so you can write or dictate it quickly and freshly but it's still trying to describe flying over the ocean shooting laser beams at robotic t-rexs who if they touch the beach the sand covers them and turns them into real t-rexs (which is apparently worse) instead of showing it.

In the realm of lets experiment on people I think it would be theoretically possible to find someone who can draw decently well without looking at the paper and then break the blocks that stop movement during dreams* to allow them to draw what they see but this would be in the realm of drugs and brain electrodes and whatnot. I expect in the cybernetic future we will be able to record at least the visual parts of dreams as they use almost all the same brain areas as normal vision, so advances in cybernetic vision repair is partly advances in recording dreams.

*In my readings I've noticed some people worry about needing to pee dreams because they're afraid they're going to wet themselves in the real world. The mechanism that cuts off movement reaching your muscles is pretty close to the source (but oddly the eyes still manage) so if you haven't rolled out of bed you aren't going to pee yourself, however if you have enough awareness you can even test this by closing your eyes in dream and swinging your arms abruptly upwards, if you don't suddenly wake up because you smashed your knuckles against the headboard, the muscle stopper is currently active.
Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (02-07-2018), lisarea (02-07-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 12:08 AM
California Sober

I just know that one time I was peeing in a dream and I woke up and found that I was actually peeing. If that’s against dream rules, that’s probably why I woke up.
Ari (02-07-2018), JoeP (02-07-2018), lisarea (02-07-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 12:50 AM

One of the weirdest things about sleep is that they haven't discovered any specific sleep organizer, it seems to be a generalized coordinated effort by different regions and if everyone got the sync memo then it all works great but occasionally some areas decide to do their own thing and there's no master controller to prevent it. Sleep paralysis is the opposite situation where the muscle lock is slow to disengage instead of too fast and you end up awake but frozen to conscious movement.
Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (02-07-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign Steve View Post
I just know that one time I was peeing in a dream and I woke up and found that I was actually peeing. If that’s against dream rules, that’s probably why I woke up.
It happened to me enough times as a kid that I would hop up and down a couple of times before I used the facilities just to make sure I was awake first.
Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (02-07-2018), JoeP (02-07-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 06:00 PM
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction

Sometimes I have dreams where I'm peeing, often an unusually long one, but when I wake up I just really have to go.
Thanks, from:
slimshady2357 (02-07-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 07:14 PM
Adequately Crumbulent

For me those dreams usually involve me desperately looking for a bathroom, but never able to find an acceptable one.
Ari (02-09-2018)

Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Atrium