Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > Lifestyle

Old 06-26-2007, 06:34 PM
Admin

Default Re: Cycling

It feels great. They did a pretty thorough fitting when I bought it, including hanging a plumb bob from my knee while I was in the riding position. Also although my hand still isn't 100% (call it 98% today) it didn't feel any more numb after this last ride.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:53 PM
Admin

Yesterday's ride was a bit ... stressful.

We decided to be bold and take a new route without scouting it first. I don't recommend this. Especially if you're still learning your bike's gear shifting. It didn't turn out too bad but it could've been much worse.

The first nasty hill we hit was short but steep. So steep I came to a complete stop about 1/4 of the way up, nearly falling over before I could get my foot free from the pedal. Until then I hadn't realized that I hadn't mastered the art of shifting gears yet. I couldn't find the easiest gear to save my life. Even after I circled the bottom of the hill a bit playing with the gears, I ended up with the chain on the largest of both sprockets and thought that was the easiest gear. It wasn't, and I ended up having to push the bike to the top of the hill.

The next hill we hit was not quite as steep, but longer. Worse, this time my chain fell off half way up the hill while I was trying to switch to the easiest gear. :madrant: So again, I pushed the bike to the top of the hill. We were only about 8k into our ride and I was about ready to call it a day.

My chain fell off a couple more times, too, and apparently one of the times I flipped it over to put it back on I lost the little computer I had just put on that morning. Unfortunately I didn't realize this until we were at the bike shop downtown where I bought the bike and I was asking them to fix my shifting problem. The cable was really slack, so they tightened it for me. Now I know what to do when the gears are sticking!

The rest of the ride was largely uneventful, until squian and I got split up and I decided to get creative on the return trip. The unfortunate result of which that I went 2 or 3 miles out of my way riding in a circle. So it happened that I was still a few miles from home and exhausted when squian called to say he'd made it back home and did I need a ride, which I accepted.

The whole ride ended up being about four hours (10a - 2pm) and 41k, so as you can imagine my arms and knees are the envy of lobsters everywhere.

Lessons learned? Chart the course more carefully, switch gears early and often, recite the mantra "right harder, left easier" to remind myself that the right thumb-switch makes it harder to pedal, the left thumb-switch makes it easier, and the opposite is true for the brake-handle shifters.

Also, that sunscreen I put on my face should go on my arms and legs as well.

And I need to check to see if my computer is there more often. (Although I kind of deserve that loss, since I let my frustration get the better of me when my chain fell off.)
Old 07-01-2007, 03:00 PM
Clutchenheimer

Dang.

Those cables will stretch a bit over the first few weeks. (Umm... in case you hadn't noticed. Never mind.) The shifting early bit is an important truth that it took me a long time to learn. Even when you know how and where to shift, it'll definitely wear you out fast to leave shifting on hills until you're straining in the current gear. (It's also hard on chain and crank teeth to shift under a hard load.)
Old 07-01-2007, 03:50 PM
The cat that will listen

Ugh, shifting problems! Those are the worst, but with a little practice it all works out--I rode my mom's hybrid on one ride, which shifts differently from my regular road bike, and I was SO worn out and miserable by the end of that ride.

Also, you can get Banana Boat Sport sunscreen in a spray bottle (pump action, not that misty crap) and just spray and go. You don't even have to rub it in, which is great when you are in the middle of a ride and need to put more on but don't want to have to rub sunscreen onto your gritty self or put your sunscreen hands back in your gloves. (Maybe those are just my strange concerns, but :bleh: to both of them. And re-application may not be a problem if you aren't very fair skinned--unlike me.) The only thing is you have to be careful to spray evenly, or you will have interesting splotchy burns.
Thanks, from:
viscousmemories (07-01-2007)
Old 07-01-2007, 04:02 PM
puzzler

Damn. Bad luck vm.

The gear shifting gets easier with practice. I always try and back off a bit on the pedal power as I shift. This isn't always possible if you're going uphill and need to shift - as you say, planning ahead is important.

You should try to avoid using those gears that put the chain at the largest angle, as these put the maximum wear on the chain and sprockets. Try not to use the largest front chain-ring with the largest rear sprocket or the smallest chain-ring with the smallest rear sprocket - as well as running the chain at a big angle, these gears also require the longest and shortest runs of chain, so the idler wheels on the derailleur have the hardest time accommodating the available slack.
Old 07-03-2007, 05:22 AM

just a little question for you guys..how do you manage to ride on the road without shitting yourselfs every time a car goes by you

I'll swerve my bike in and out ditches, go through peoples yards, stay on sidewalks..I'll just do anything I can to stay of the road, as I can not comfortably ride on one. I've actaully got a dozen or so outstanding tickets for my bicycling activities. So I do not bring Id with me any more when go out for rides...

... yes officer my name really is John smith. my address?.. mobile home #17 on the only street Tuctayuktuk N.Y.T. .... Im just in town visitng family
Old 07-03-2007, 05:37 AM
A fellow sophisticate

Man I love my click shifters on my Giant Butte mountain bike, one button right in reach of my thumb to click up a gear, one to click down, snick, snick, snick, left for the front sprocket, the right one for the rear cassette, just as slick as can be. Why don't skinny tire road bikes have these? Weight? Hand position?
Old 07-03-2007, 08:27 PM
Clutchenheimer

They do, though not always thumb-operated. The Shimano Sora shifters use the brake lever (push it inwards toward the centreline of the bike) to shift in one direction, and have a thumb shifter (just visible here) to shift the other direction.

My bike has Shimano Tiagra "brifters" -- indexed ("click") shifters that are built into and alongside the brake levers. Again the brake lever shifts one direction, while the small black lever next to it shifts the other direction.

And finally, some are pure brifters, like these SRAM "double tap" shifters: one click inward to shift one direction, a further click inward to shift the other direction.

Old 07-09-2007, 09:44 PM
mostly harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastelk View Post
I've actaully got a dozen or so outstanding tickets for my bicycling activities. So I do not bring Id with me any more when go out for rides...

... yes officer my name really is John smith. my address?.. mobile home #17 on the only street Tuctayuktuk N.Y.T. .... Im just in town visitng family
Or just say your name is Fred Phelps, from Topeka, Kansas. :P

Changing topics: what? No, 2007 Tour de France thread yet?

Old 07-13-2007, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake View Post

Changing topics: what? No, 2007 Tour de France thread yet?
I've been out of town, but I watched yesterday, as Vinokourov lost over one minute after a crash. They're heading into the Alps soon. Break out the EPO! Get the plasma out of the refrigerator! Inject the testosterone! The lads are going to need it.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:56 AM
A fellow sophisticate

I looked at bicycles yesterday. I think I'm going to get a Giant Sedona, it's a hybrid, a combination of a road bike and a mountain bike, a good compromise, I think.
Old 07-14-2007, 11:59 AM
Admin

Coolio. Nice lookin' bike, there!
Old 07-15-2007, 12:39 AM
A fellow sophisticate

The quandary I'm faced with is do I just fix up my Tiawanese-made Giant Butte mountain bike, retrofitting it with shocks and a new saddle along with some hybrid-type tires, or buy a new Chinese-made Giant Sedona? The cost is quite similar.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:54 AM
Queen?

Buy the new bike and give the older one to charity.
Old 07-15-2007, 04:46 PM
Admin

I agree with inland wave. Go for the gusto, busto.

We went for a pretty vigorous 26 mile ride last weekend, but since we didn't get started until after the rain let up on Saturday we ended up being on the road in the noontime sun. Yuck!

Today was the first weekend day in months without a hint of rain in the air, but I got another flat :sadcheer: about five miles into the ride. Fortunately I had a spare innertube, tire lever and CO2 cartridge with me. Now I know why the tire levers came in a three pack: it would've been handy to have more than one. I also know that if your tire isn't completely seated when you fire off your one and only CO2 cartridge, you're screwed.

So yeah, the tire wasn't properly seated so it was sticking out a bit (by the valve stem) after the tire was inflated. I had to let some air out to push it in, and unfortunately let out so much that I wasn't sure I'd be able to ride it. Fortunately this is Austin, so I didn't have to wait more than two minutes before some friendly cyclists with a pump were riding by.

Anyway I decided to cut my losses and turn back then, so only about 10 miles total today.
Old 07-15-2007, 06:00 PM
Queen?

That's okay VM, at least you were giving it the old college try. We had a rain shower today. I planned on riding my horse, but it is to wet at the momment to really make it happen. I hope to get to ride wednesday evening or thursday? Depends on what my schedule will be. Keep pestering Ding, maybe I will see his new bike in the garage when I get home wednesday.

Last edited by inland wave; 07-15-2007 at 06:13 PM.
Thanks, from:
viscousmemories (07-15-2007)
Old 07-23-2007, 01:34 AM
Admin

I went riding with an ex-coworker and a couple of his buddies today, since squian is out of town. I only went 12 miles with them, but it was very hilly and a much faster pace than I usually do so I was pretty wiped. I think I probably could've done another 10 miles on relatively flat land, but I wasn't sure. So I played it safe and came home.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:30 PM

The war between bicycles and cars has been heating up here in Eugene. In today's Eugene Register-Guard this letter was published:

Quote:
Road sharing needs reciprocity

I will stay in my lane if cyclists stay in theirs and stop riding two and three abreast. I also will stop at all stop signs and lights if they will also.

If cyclists decide not to do the above-mentioned things - thump!

RON LEWIS
I haven't sent my response to the paper yet -- but I'm thinking of mailing in the following:

Quote:
Threats need reciprocity

Ron Lewis (letters, July 26) will abide by the law IF cyclists do. If not, "Thump!"

Lewis is a bully to threaten cyclists with his car. Why the Register-Guard published his threatening and inflammatory letter is unclear, but since they did, I imagine they’ll also publish my offer to meet with Lewis to calmly discuss his (cowardly and evil) position, no cars or bicycles involved. Thump.

BDS
Old 07-26-2007, 11:28 PM
Admin

Good plan. :1thumbup:
Old 07-26-2007, 11:32 PM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

That's awesome, BDS. Send it! :nod:
Old 07-27-2007, 12:46 AM

Unfortunately, I've decided not to send it -- only because I'm going to England. Most letters don't get published for a week or so -- and I'll be leaving a couple of days later. My last name is uncommon enough that Ron Lewis could certainly find my empty house -- if he wanted. Besides, making threats when you're not going to be there to back them up is weak.

Otherwise I would sent it (although I imagine the paper might not publish it).
Old 08-09-2007, 05:13 PM
Admin

So that's what a "horizontal track stand" is. :doh:

At least I earned a little confidence in my helmet when it whacked the iron gate.
Old 08-10-2007, 05:04 PM
Clutchenheimer

The last concessions to coolness are gone for my road bike. I've finally put fenders and a mirror on it.

Sigh. It looked so pretty when it was new and lean and mean. But commuting in traffic in summer means racks and cages and bottles and seatbag and pump and panniers...

Anyhow, I finally just got tired of eating my own wheelspray when it rains. (By volume, 82% water, 3% rainwater pollutants, 6% paving byproducts, 5% automotive petroleum, 4% urine of various mammals.)
Old 08-10-2007, 05:11 PM
Admin

I like the mirror idea, anyway. Way more than I like the idea of getting run over.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:47 PM
you're next

i recently traded my specialized sequoia roadie for a cannondale f400 mtb with upgraded rims, seat and seat post. it was a couple of years older than my roadie, but it's an awesome frame and i plan to do more trail riding...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bike.jpg (55.5 KB, 7 views)

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > Lifestyle