Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > The Sciences

Old 07-24-2012, 02:36 PM
(((The Spartacus of Anatevka)))

Default Jerry Coyne Says Don't Depend on mtDNA

. . . every time, he says, every time, it will get you falling-down drunk, then drive away with your wallet, in your car.

"A new study of polar bears underlines the dangers of reconstructing evolution using mitochondrial DNA".

Even more cool: I own (and like) Why Evolution is True, but I never knew that Coyne had a blog by the same name. Now I can check it from time to time. FaceBook, you did a good thing today (Coyne's blogpost was linked to by another blogger that I follow)!
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (07-24-2012), chunksmediocrites (07-24-2012), Clutch Munny (07-24-2012), Crumb (07-24-2012), Janet (07-25-2012), Nullifidian (07-24-2012), Pan Narrans (07-25-2012), Stormlight (07-24-2012), Ymir's blood (07-24-2012)
Old 07-24-2012, 04:05 PM
simple country microbiologist hyperchicken

Default Re: Jerry Coyne Says Don't Depend on mtDNA

I took an evolutionary biology course last semester wherein we discussed how to use mtdna vs ndna as a method to determine introgression.

Quote:
Members of Mike Arnold’s lab have tested evolutionary hypotheses in a wide array of organisms – including fungi, plants and animals. In spite of the taxonomic diversity reflected in this work, there is a unifying theme. This theme is well described by the title of a 1954 Evolution paper authored by the plant evolutionary biologists, Edgar Anderson and Ledyard Stebbins – “Hybridization as an Evolutionary Stimulus”. Thus, our group has examined a range of phenomena associated with the process of gene exchange between organisms in nature. The data collected have derived from analyses of population genetics, phylogenetics, reproductive biology, pollinator behavior, eco-physiology, molecular evolution and, most recently, linkage/QTL mapping of fitness traits.
http://www.genetics.uga.edu/people_bio_arnold_m.html

I got the impression that people should already really understand this. Also Arnold pushed hard the idea that you need repeated studies over time to really understand if introgression is occurring.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:29 PM
mesospheric bore

Default Re: Jerry Coyne Says Don't Depend on mtDNA

Thanks! Cool stuff. I've wondered before if the use of plastid DNA - which is widespread in plant evol papers I've read - might generate inaccurate pictures. DNA-based phylogenies have redrawn large swathes of plant systematics in the last decade or so, I wonder how much of that has been based on questionable plastid-based studies?

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > The Sciences