Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Computers & Technology

Old 08-18-2006, 07:35 AM

Default how much should I try to selll this for

just wondering, Im starting to think I want somethng faster for dooing video incoding/gaming

its been put together and upgraded over a few years

case has 450watt powertsuply

mother board - gigabyte 7n400L- on board lan and sound- nforce2 chipset - agp8x -5 pci slots- usb2

atholon xp3200 socket A (32bit) 2.1 Ghz
2 gig ram (ddr400)
ev3a e-geforce 6600gt video card
60 gig hard drive
52x32x52 cdwr
dvd rom
3.5" floppy drive (a 14 year old floppy drive that still works)
win xp
Old 08-18-2006, 07:54 AM
Gone Guy

Default Re: how much should I try to selll this for

I'll give you $40 for it. Can you hold the check until next payday?
Old 08-18-2006, 07:59 AM
rabbi peepnklown

I am going to say from $300-400.
Old 08-18-2006, 07:59 AM
Gone Guy

Okay, $60.
Old 08-19-2006, 11:16 PM
Wildcard!

Well, you could rebuy an equivalent system for under $400 today -- but you wouldn't want to. Socket A MOBOs aren't going to be very enticing to a buyer. Right now, you can get a newer (but still old) 754 MOBO from Gigabyte through New Egg with a free 3400+ for $49.99! EDIT! Oops, the combo price is $99.00 -- but still! The same deal is available with the BIOSTAR NF325-A7 and I think Biostar does better cheap boards than Gigabyte.

The 6600GT's are going for about $100 so, unless your RAM is something special, I can't see asking much more than about $250. If you get $200, you should probably be happy. It's a buyer's market with the 939-compatible chips being dirt-cheap now -- that kinda sucks for you but let me/us know when you start shopping around for a new system and we'll throw some ideas your way.

I just built six computers this week but they were all Sun systems and were about $11,000 each (yikes!) -- good thing it wasn't my money. :relieved:

Last edited by Javaman; 08-19-2006 at 11:32 PM.
Old 08-20-2006, 02:00 AM
professional left-winger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javaman
.......but let me/us know when you start shopping around for a new system and we'll throw some ideas your way.
Start throwing those ideas my way. I have a couple computers, but the one I use for the internet needs to be replaced. Sooner rather than later, if possible. Its got a going-bad power supply fan, runs Win98se and its RAM is maxxed out at 256mb, among other things. Plus its HUGE.

I was looking at HP's Slimline models, mostly because they are tiny, but I think they are missing some things, especially for the price. But like I said, it'll be used mostly for web surfing, so maybe not. Maybe one of the Celeron based clearance ones would be OK.

Because of some other stuff going on right now, I do not have much to spend on this computer, so if you have some $$$-saving ideas, that would be super.

My other option is to connect my main working computer. Even though I'm very careful with my online security, and its probably nothing to worry about, I still afraid of compromising that computer in any way.
Old 08-21-2006, 03:05 AM

doh, think something just fried or somthing. it took me about 3 hours of tinkering to get it to start, I had to drop the clock speed way the hell low, and max the cpu voltage to get it to do anything. runs fine now...but sooo slooow. im just saving some files to cd right now incase it dies out completely.

so I'll probably sell the ram and video card, and junk pile the old motherboard/cpu at the eco station. funny how these things seem to time themsleves

edited-------------

I just bought this, should get it in 3-4 days

*AMD Athlon64 X2 AM2 5000+
* Zalman CNPS9500 AM2 CPU Fan
* MSI K9N SLI Platinum Motherboard
* Centurion 534 Case with Window
* Enermax 600W Noisetaker Power Supply
* Mushkin 2GB XP2-6400 Xtreme Kit
* Seagate 400GB SATA II Hard Drive
* LG 16x16 Dual Layer DVD-Burner
* 2 x e-VGA 7900GT KO 256MB
* Onboard 10/100/1000 Ethernet
* Microsoft Windows XP Media Center
* One Year Parts/Labour Warranty

Last edited by roastelk; 08-22-2006 at 02:10 AM.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:00 PM
Wildcard!

Wow! I read that last post before you edited it with what you ordered. That freakin' rocks! Let me/us know how it all goes together -- especially the Mushkin RAM. I've not heard of too many people using it (not that they don't, just that I don't know them).

For freemonkey, I don't have much time left this morning but I'd be more than happy to help pick out parts. I'm sure some others will help as well. A couple of quick starter questions:

1) What's your general budget?
2) Are you just replacing the computer or do you need a new monitor as well?

As to your fears about connecting your other computer to the world, I think you sound knowledgeable enough to be safe. Keep your system up to date, use secure programs, don't click on random crap on web pages, don't download screen savers/wallpaper from untrustworthy sites, don't open random e-mail or their attachments. That kind of stuff. I've been connected for years now and have never gotten a single virus on my system. I've had a few cookies that I didn't like but that's it. I would suggest installing a hardware firewall as well vice a software one.

Right now, I think I could spend about $600 and build a great home system that would do everything I asked of it.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:30 PM
professional left-winger

Quote:
For freemonkey, I don't have much time left this morning but I'd be more than happy to help pick out parts.....
Great, thanks, but my husband took pity and gave me his old one when the fan quit turning altogether on the other. Its got:

Pentium III processor (or PII, maybe)
2 hard drives, 8 GB and a whopping 20 GB
and Windows 2000 Pro.

PRO, baby!! :wink:
Old 08-25-2006, 08:03 AM

was just over 2 grand for that setup....damned gentically induced male showboating...just had to go buy the fastest computer of any one I know.
really that machine is sick, nothing can even take full adavantage of it, and yet theres lots of room for upgrades on it.

picking it up tomorrow....feells like christmas..exept that santas gonna be comming down the chimny with a credit card billing machine surgically sewn in between his ass checks.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:02 PM
Not a relevant party

Man, that's a great system, roastelk. :envy:

Quote:
picking it up tomorrow....feells like christmas..exept that santas gonna be comming down the chimny with a credit card billing machine surgically sewn in between his ass checks.
:lol:
Old 08-25-2006, 12:35 PM
Wildcard!

roastelk, if you have money to blow, have you thought about an SAS (Serial Attached SCSI) drive? You'll get blazing fast transfer speeds and be able to take advantage of 15,000 rpm drives but it comes at quite a cost.

WikipediaSAS supports point data transfer speeds up to 3 Gbit/s, but is expected to reach 10 Gbit/s by the year 2010. The SAS connector is much smaller than traditional parallel SCSI connectors allowing for the small 2.5 inch drives.

And you can actually take advantage of some of that speed. Here's a starter kit combo that'll be less than $1100:

LSI Logic LSI00048 PCI Express SATA/SAS Controller Card RAID 0/1/5/10/50

Fujitsu MAX3147RC 147GB 15,000 RPM 16MB Cache Serial Attached SCSI (SAS) Hard Drive

Lemme know if you buy it. :yup:
Old 08-25-2006, 12:43 PM
Wildcard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemonkey
Quote:
For freemonkey, I don't have much time left this morning but I'd be more than happy to help pick out parts.....
Great, thanks, but my husband took pity and gave me his old one when the fan quit turning altogether on the other. Its got:

Pentium III processor (or PII, maybe)
2 hard drives, 8 GB and a whopping 20 GB
and Windows 2000 Pro.

PRO, baby!! :wink:
I'm so sorry. :sniffle: Sweet baby Jesus, don't put XP on that thing, whatever you do. Our office was trying to make do for awhile when we got a bunch of new people by dusting off some old 450MHz PIII's and then put XP Pro on 'em all. Fifteen minutes to read one e-mail!

Well, if you feel like it - and you can salvage the case - you could have fun waiting for bargains and building your own system. Are you plugged in to your internet connection or are you wireless? Plugged in makes life pretty easy for you to get a pretty fast system on the cheap. No new case and monitor would mean you can probably be up and running for, hmm, about $260 + shipping and your system would be faster than mine right now. You might have to do it piecemeal to find the daily/weekly sweet deals, though.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:42 PM

Quote:
roastelk, if you have money to blow, have you thought about an SAS (Serial Attached SCSI) drive? You'll get blazing fast transfer speeds and be able to take advantage of 15,000 rpm drives but it comes at quite a cost.

WikipediaSAS supports point data transfer speeds up to 3 Gbit/s, but is expected to reach 10 Gbit/s by the year 2010. The SAS connector is much smaller than traditional parallel SCSI connectors allowing for the small 2.5 inch drives.

And you can actually take advantage of some of that speed. Here's a starter kit combo that'll be less than $1100:

Lemme know if you buy it. :yup:

future upgrade... :yup:

didnt want to spend that much money right now. actually I had the place building it put in a smaller hard drive than that seagate 400gig . For what I do 120 gig will be enough. cut about $200 off the sticker price

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Computers & Technology