Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > Lifestyle

Old 01-27-2014, 02:49 PM
improperly uses ellipses....... with panache

Default Re: Health and Fitness Track, 2014

well, i am SUPPOSED to be in therapy this morning, a long standing 10 am monday tradition....

BUT... the local yoga studio (yes, in a town of 1800 +/- , there is a fairly vibrant yoga studio) had a deal on a 10-class pass, which for me meant the VERY gentle yoga for joints class, meeting at 11 am monday.... (so, if you have no familiarity with psychotherapy, on the receiving end... it fucks you up for about 24 hours)

SO... i asked my T if she could shift my appt around for 10 weeks and she was ALL ABOUT IT because she knows how collapsed have become in just about every dimension of my life in the course of that major depressive disorder this past autumn

as an LMT i recognize the establishing postural distortions, folding in on myself... instead of walking, sitting... being... erect... 10 weeks of yoga is a great opportunity to start unfolding

i do plenty of "weight training" every day hauling water, hay, etc etc but i gotz NO LIMBER

i went last week... planned to go this week, but sit here in so many layers of clothing as is required to make the half dozen or more trips out to the animals today in the BRUTAL windchill of -35 that the thought of changing out of/changing back into all these layers has convinced me to just stay home and replicate as much of the routine as i can recall....

but yeah... yoga

that's the plan
viscousmemories (01-28-2014), vremya (01-27-2014)
Old 01-27-2014, 04:15 PM
Astroid the Foine Loine between a Poirate and a Farrrmer

So I have been a good boy and I have been swimming at least 3 times a week and watching what I eat and laying off the booze. It is slowly but steadily working: the first 8 pounds are gone.

Of course Mrs Sectus just watches what she eats and swims once a week. And loses 18 pounds. I am jelly!
Thanks, from:
viscousmemories (01-28-2014), vremya (01-27-2014)
Old 01-27-2014, 04:37 PM
forever in search of dill pickle doritos

Been 100% good so far, sticking to 1500-1800 calories a day - 26 days done.

On the 31st we're going to go out and have a nice meal, not worry about the calories at all and just enjoy a lovely meal. Then it's back to counting for February with the same plan there, a nice meal out on the last day of the month. It's nice to have something to look forward to :gnoshing:

The start is always quickest - 12 pound lost so far, about 18 to go. My goal is the end of March.
Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (01-27-2014), maddog (01-31-2014), viscousmemories (01-28-2014), vremya (01-27-2014)
Old 01-30-2014, 03:58 AM

I'm bouncing back, I've gained 10 lbs since my last post and have enough energy to do 20 minutes a day on my stationary bike. my wife says i still look gaunt and pale to her though.
Thanks, from:
slimshady2357 (01-30-2014), viscousmemories (02-01-2014), vremya (01-30-2014)
Old 01-30-2014, 02:19 PM
Crafty Agitator

I made it to the gym and did 20 minuted on the stationary bike and 20 on the elliptical. Then I went home and ate a bunch of granola bars, so I probably undid all that exercise.
ImGod (01-31-2014), slimshady2357 (01-30-2014), viscousmemories (02-01-2014)
Old 01-31-2014, 04:17 PM
Bow down before me ... or not.

I'm now in physical therapy. I'll still need surgery, but this strengthens the joint significantly first.

No more than 10 minutes of active exercise to a target muscle group 2x week is kicking that muscles weak ass.

I'm back to 45 min 3x week of real exercise but need to get this 20 lbs off me and it's tough to do. I'm stabilized but without upping exercise or significantly decreasing calories I'll be stuck here. I want 20-30 lbs off before surgery since I'll have lots of ass time after.
maddog (02-01-2014), viscousmemories (02-01-2014)
Old 02-01-2014, 04:16 PM
Admin

So far this year is shaping up decently. I bought a treadmill, tomorrow marks two weeks of following (pretty well) weight watchers points plus, and set up the attached exercise area in my house.
Unfortunately I don't have any more exercise prep to do--gonna have to start actually exercising. :sigh:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg workoutRoom.jpg (111.4 KB, 13 views)
Thanks, from:
Demimonde (02-02-2014), Ensign Steve (02-01-2014), ImGod (02-03-2014), maddog (02-01-2014), Sock Puppet (02-06-2014), vremya (02-01-2014)
Old 02-01-2014, 04:48 PM
A fellow sophisticate

Bring a dust rag towel.
viscousmemories (02-01-2014)
Old 02-01-2014, 04:54 PM
Crafty Agitator

I think I overdid it on the stationary bike yesterday - I'm really sore today.
maddog (02-11-2014)
Old 02-01-2014, 08:00 PM
California Sober

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscousmemories View Post
So far this year is shaping up decently. I bought a treadmill, tomorrow marks two weeks of following (pretty well) weight watchers points plus, and set up the attached exercise area in my house.
Unfortunately I don't have any more exercise prep to do--gonna have to start actually exercising. :sigh:
That's your home gym in your house?! Awesome. :thumbup:
maddog (02-11-2014), viscousmemories (02-01-2014)
Old 02-11-2014, 07:04 AM

dusted off my weight set this weekend, its been few months. I have a half rack with a incline decline/bench, and mostly old hand me down weights. my gym aria also has the prerequisite chin up bar, and a home made parallel bar for dips. Plus a mat for stretching/yoga. I'll post photos of it all some time

yes the elk dose yoga, my sister challenged me to it few years back, and I haven't looked back. my lower back has been thanking me for it

upstairs in front of my tv is my $20 exercise bike I bought used two years ago. works as good as new.

---
In the last week I seem to be back to my self, Im getting past the gall bladder attack. my rapid post starvation weight gain seems to have stabilized at about 210-215lb. and I can start working from here to hit my goal of 175bs. last year my weight topped out at 240lbs
Thanks, from:
maddog (02-11-2014), viscousmemories (02-17-2014), vremya (03-12-2014)
Old 03-12-2014, 05:36 AM
A fellow sophisticate

As part of a wellness program my employer has put in place, I went to the company's health screening this morning. I get up to a $300 discount in next year's health premiums for participating, another $150 if my wife also participates. My numbers are not too bad, considering my more resembling a manatee than a man, that and I was on night shifts last night. Nurses measured my height, weight, and waist, checked my blood pressure, drew a tiny tube of blood from a fingertip, which they put into a machine that read out blood glucose and cholesterol numbers. Then I went home and slept as much as I could.

My blood pressure was 124/80 (mm Hg), with normal being 120/80. I had even just walked three blocks from the parking garage, where I had taken a 20 minute nap beforehand. Of course, I am taking three medications for blood pressure, so I guess this good reading shows I'm getting my money's worth.

My "fasting" blood glucose was 87 mg/dl. I put fasting in quotation marks because I hadn't exactly fasted before the testing. I was on night shift last night. I ate a bowl of soup around 10:40 PM, then a small package of salted roasted almonds around 3:00 AM. Hey, I was hungry.

My cholesterol numbers were: Total Cholesterol, 170 mg/dl. Normal is less than 200.
HDL Cholesterol, 37 mg/dl. More than 60 would be ideal, 50-60 acceptable, and less than 50 "very low". The LDL/HDL ratio is more important than a simple number, and my LDL cholesterol was a nice low 100 mg/dl. So, even though the good cholesterol was low, so was the bad cholesterol. Triglycerides were 162, a bit higher than ideal, but not terrible. And again, my own anecdotal experience shows that these numbers are improved best by consuming more fat and less carbohydrates.

Regular exercise, something I've not been able to do lately, might help too. I am in hopes the surgeon who fixed my shoulder soon releases me to resume my swimming, one form of exercise I actually can do.
BrotherMan (03-12-2014), Ensign Steve (03-12-2014), vremya (03-12-2014)
Old 03-12-2014, 02:33 PM
Crafty Agitator

I fell off the WW wagon again and am just getting back into the routine. I went back to the gym and put in some time on the stationary bike and amazingly wasn't really sore the day after.

I really want to make exercising a regular thing, since it really helps me lose and keep the weight off. It's been so hard to get moving, but once I do, it's great.
Ensign Steve (03-12-2014)
Old 04-16-2014, 02:20 AM
Crafty Agitator

The depression seems to be lifting, at least a little bit, since I actually feel like doing something other than eating.

I hit the gym yesterday and actually jogged for the first time since high school. (Scary stuff) and I went for a quick little ride on my bicycle before the snow flies AGAIN tomorrow.

I looked at how close I was to my goal weight a few months ago and how far away I am now, and got really, really bummed. And then went to the gym.
ceptimus (04-16-2014), Dingfod (04-16-2014), maddog (04-16-2014), slimshady2357 (04-16-2014), Watser? (04-16-2014)
Old 04-16-2014, 12:38 PM
forever in search of dill pickle doritos

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimshady2357 View Post
Been 100% good so far, sticking to 1500-1800 calories a day - 26 days done.

On the 31st we're going to go out and have a nice meal, not worry about the calories at all and just enjoy a lovely meal. Then it's back to counting for February with the same plan there, a nice meal out on the last day of the month. It's nice to have something to look forward to :gnoshing:

The start is always quickest - 12 pound lost so far, about 18 to go. My goal is the end of March.
Blew that goal :sheepish:

20lbs total lost so far, but have stalled a little the last 2-3 weeks. Need to get back into in and re-focus really. Another stone would be good.
Thanks, from:
ceptimus (04-16-2014), Dingfod (04-16-2014), Ensign Steve (04-16-2014), vremya (04-16-2014)
Old 04-16-2014, 03:10 PM
Fishy mokey

Quote:
Originally Posted by vremya View Post
The depression seems to be lifting, at least a little bit, since I actually feel like doing something other than eating.

I hit the gym yesterday and actually jogged for the first time since high school. (Scary stuff) and I went for a quick little ride on my bicycle before the snow flies AGAIN tomorrow.

I looked at how close I was to my goal weight a few months ago and how far away I am now, and got really, really bummed. And then went to the gym.
Excercise actually helps against depression is what the therapist told me. And after trying it I am sure that's true. It still takes a lot to actually get going even if you KNOW it will help though.
ceptimus (04-16-2014), slimshady2357 (04-16-2014), SR71 (04-16-2014), vremya (04-16-2014)
Old 04-16-2014, 04:48 PM
Crafty Agitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watser? View Post

Excercise actually helps against depression is what the therapist told me. And after trying it I am sure that's true. It still takes a lot to actually get going even if you KNOW it will help though.
I felt pretty good after my bike ride yesterday and definitely more relaxed. And you're right - it does take a lot to actually get going. Once I get past the initial resistance, it gets easier and easier.
slimshady2357 (04-16-2014), Watser? (04-16-2014)
Old 04-16-2014, 08:36 PM
Dissonance is its own reward

I need to get off my lazy ass and start burning off some of this winter weight. I had gotten all the way back down to 180ish then the whole 4 months of snow and ice thing happened and I didn't do shit but sit around and drink. Now I'm knocking on 200 again. Ugh.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:45 PM
California Sober

They took my blood pressure at the eye doctor today. It was 101/66. :thumbup:

Still maintaining my healthy weight after 3 years. It's a constant thing. I wouldn't call it a struggle, but I guess it's something like addiction. You're never cured, you're just in recovery forever.
Dingfod (05-02-2014), maddog (05-03-2014), vremya (05-03-2014)
Old 05-02-2014, 10:01 PM
A fellow sophisticate

On that, I'm running the white flag up. I'm surrendering to gravity. I'm tired of fighting it. My left ankle and right heel are the most tired of it. Henceforth, I will no longer fight it, I will succumb to it's superior forces.
Ensign Steve (05-03-2014)
Old 06-14-2014, 05:51 PM
Crafty Agitator

After a wild week of (almost) unrestrained eating, I'm getting back on plan. I've gained and lost the same five pounds too many times! I know what to do, and I know it works, I've been too lazy to do it.
Old 06-15-2014, 12:58 AM
A fellow sophisticate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingfod View Post
On that, I'm running the white flag up. I'm surrendering to gravity. I'm tired of fighting it. My left ankle and right heel are the most tired of it. Henceforth, I will no longer fight it, I will succumb to it's superior forces.
I was lying. I was discouraged after a doctor's visit and saw my record-breaking weight accumulation. Yesterday, according to my doctor's scales, I've lost 20 pounds since I made that post. I may not "look mahvelus" yet, but I do feel p. good.

How did I lose 20 pounds and about three belt notches?

I eat no sugar, no bread or anything made of grain, no rice, no potatoes, and no fruit or even peanut butter. Other than that I EAT P. MUCH WHAT I WANT. Funny now, because I don't even want that stuff anymore. The cravings are gone. I don't even want that much anymore, my calorie intake is averaging around 1700 kcal per day now. I was probably eating anywhere form 3000-3500 per day before that, some days were probably over 4000.

Can I stick with it?

IDK, time will tell. I started the diet as prep for bariatric surgery. The surgeon told me I had to lose 35 pounds before they would schedule surgery, to de-fat my liver. That is what was discouraging to me. Two weeks later, a visit with his dietitian and exercise physiologist and I was off to the races, eating better and getting at least some exercise. It will probably be another couple of months before I would be having surgery anyway, so if I can stick this out that long, I might just cancel that and keep on doing what I'm doing. It's working.

Why low carb instead of low fat?

BECAUSE IT WORKS FOR ME. Low fat or low calorie alone don't work for me. I tried the fat gram counting diet once before. In three months I lost about 9 pounds and I was fucking hungry all the fucking time. I went to bed hungry, I got up hungry. It was really really hard. On this diet regimen, I'm not really that hungry anymore and I've lost all the cravings for the sweets and such. I'd rather nibble on the piece of cheddar cheese or a piece of turkey meat than eat a bowl of ice cream, even the best ice cream in the world. I have lots of energy, my alertness has improved. I dare say that my vision and hearing have improved as well.

ALSO, I NOW HAVE MEDICAL REASONS TO EAT THIS WAY. I am pre-diabetic, having elevated blood sugar levels 107-110 mg/dL and elevated A1C too. Insulin levels were checked as well, and they're higher than the norm, meaning I am insulin-resistant. My mother had diabetes for which she had to take insulin. Plus, my feet and ankle pain are mostly due to the excess tonnage I'm toting around all the time. How would yours do if you were carrying a 150 pound backpack on your belly all the time?
curses (06-17-2014), One for Sorrow (06-15-2014), Sock Puppet (06-16-2014), viscousmemories (07-01-2014), vremya (06-15-2014)
Old 06-22-2014, 04:11 PM
California Sober

Since I moved I have not found something to replace the boot camp workouts I was doing in Georgia. Which is to say I haven't looked. I have been running at least six miles at least one day per week. That number is arbitrary, it is the distance the local running group goes and they meet on Thursday and Saturday mornings. I haven't been to a Thursday after the first 2, but I never miss a Saturday except the one where I was in Southern California for the pride run which was 9 miles. Then there was the one boot camp class I tried to go to at work, and I made it 40 minutes before she said "okay, partner up!" And I bailed because I didn't know any of the people but most of them looked like somebody I wouldn't want touching me.

The point is I haven't done anything but run in about 6 weeks and I am getting sooooffffttt. I need to figure this out. I'm on the wait list to get into Crossfit at work, which they say is about 2 months. I really need to do more than just hope I don't put it off until then.
Dingfod (06-22-2014), vremya (06-27-2014)
Old 06-22-2014, 04:48 PM
A fellow sophisticate

Note to self, open a Cross-Fit gym near Ensign Steve. A two month waiting list is ridiculous.
Ensign Steve (06-22-2014)
Old 06-22-2014, 04:59 PM
California Sober

Oh I can get in to a real Crossfit gym, they are everywhere around here but expensive as hell. There's a class at work that is cheap, that's why the wait.
Dingfod (06-22-2014)

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > Lifestyle