Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law

Old 06-15-2018, 01:26 AM
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction

Default Re: Why the Mainstream Media Really Sucks

I thought you weren't going to read or respond to my posts anymore :chin:

Nice straw man, btw. I guess I won't be getting an answer as to why you're so dishonest.
Thanks, from:
The Man (06-15-2018)
Old 06-15-2018, 06:43 PM
Shitpost Sommelier

:AB: :canada:
Thanks, from:
Ari (06-15-2018), But (06-15-2018), Ensign Steve (06-17-2018), JoeP (06-15-2018), Kyuss Apollo (06-16-2018), The Man (06-15-2018)
Old 06-15-2018, 09:52 PM
Solipsist

From the comments, more by the same cartoonist Rob Rogers:

CENSORED: Ten Anti-Trump Cartoons The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette Refuses To Publish - by The Nib

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Thanks, from:
But (06-15-2018), Kamilah Hauptmann (06-15-2018), The Man (06-15-2018)
Old 06-16-2018, 03:17 AM
Shitpost Sommelier

HEADLINE!
Trump raises hopes, says North Korea returning US remains

TWEET!

STORY!
Quote:
And U.S. officials across the government quietly acknowledged that so far no remains have been turned over to the U.S. from the North
Bolding mine.

Thanks, from:
erimir (06-16-2018), Kyuss Apollo (06-16-2018), slimshady2357 (06-16-2018), The Man (06-16-2018)
Old 06-16-2018, 02:26 PM
happy now, Mussolini?

Huh. Didn't know AP was a subsidiary of Fox News. :themoreyouknow:

Thanks, from:
Kamilah Hauptmann (06-16-2018), The Man (06-16-2018)
Old 06-16-2018, 05:20 PM

The media sure gave the public a proper idea of the stakes of the election, and who was the more corrupt and dishonest candidate.

It's just that Hillary was so shitty that this was a reasonable distribution of scandal coverage. To suggest otherwise is just to make excuses for her, and is all a perfidious neoliberal scheme to get people to agree to a public option and generous health insurance subsidies instead of single payer* or something like that.

*Which as we know is the only viable way to universal healthcare, evidence from most of Europe, Japan, Australia, etc. notwithstanding.
Thanks, from:
Ari (06-17-2018), Crumb (06-16-2018), Kamilah Hauptmann (06-16-2018), Kyuss Apollo (06-16-2018), slimshady2357 (06-16-2018), The Lone Ranger (06-16-2018), The Man (06-16-2018)
Old 06-16-2018, 06:09 PM
Shitpost Sommelier

Quote:
Originally Posted by erimir View Post
The media sure gave the public a proper idea of the stakes of the election, and who was the more corrupt and dishonest candidate.
Malpractice.

Thanks, from:
Kyuss Apollo (06-16-2018), The Man (06-16-2018)
Old 06-19-2018, 09:35 PM
Safety glasses off, motherfuckers

Fuck the fucking Vichy New York Times, part the infinity:

FTFVNYT pulled Stephen Miller interview at request of WH

I'm sure the liar davidm will respond to this by once again dishonestly pretending he doesn't understand hyperbole. Oh well.

“All for ourselves, and nothing for other people, seems, in every age of the world, to have been the vile maxim of the masters of mankind.” -Adam Smith

last.fm · my music · Marathon Expanded Universe
Thanks, from:
Kamilah Hauptmann (06-19-2018)
Old 06-19-2018, 10:26 PM

The New York Times has only existed less than 200 years, rather than existing since time eternal, so they can't possibly have done infinitely many things at all, much less infinitely many things worth criticizing! And they've never been based in France, much less Vichy France. You should ask yourself about how much you have in common with Trump and his supporters, who also tell constant lies about media organizations like The New York Times.

The fact is that, like with everything bad, the reason the NYT would alter their coverage of Stephen Miller at the White House's behest is solely that Hillary was a shitty candidate.
Thanks, from:
Kael (06-19-2018), slimshady2357 (06-19-2018), Sock Puppet (06-19-2018), The Man (06-19-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 03:53 AM
Spiffiest wanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man View Post
Fuck the fucking Vichy New York Times, part the infinity:

FTFVNYT pulled Stephen Miller interview at request of WH

...the liar davidm ...
:lol:

Of course! When I tell the truth, I'm a liar!

Quote:
... hyperbole. ... Oh well.
Of course! When you blatantly lie, it's just ... hyperbole.

BTW, asshat, I've been scathing in my criticisms of NYT, when, in my judgment, the criticisms were deserved. So don't pretend otherwise.

But a Trump partisan like you (yes, your dishonesty makes you a Trump partisan) can't tell the difference between truths and lies. Oh well.

:lol:
Old 06-22-2018, 09:00 AM
Shitpost Sommelier

It's like people are catching on.

See the comments.

Thanks, from:
The Man (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
a Trump partisan like you (yes, your dishonesty makes you a Trump partisan)
Liar, are you ever going to bother actually making the slightest substantive response to anything I've addressed to you within the past month?

Quote:
Two points re: policy coverage:

1. Hyperbole - Wikipedia, because you obviously need a refresher course in recognising it, or (more likely) you're being deliberately obtuse.

2. There are a number of studies going over how little coverage policy received; this great Vox piece links a few. Perhaps most startlingly, ABC, NBC, and CBS' primetime news gave three times more coverage to Clinton's email server than to all policy issues combined (IIRC, twenty-five minutes between the three networks). There's much more, but this work break is almost over.

Re: Comey, I also think this is necessary reading:

Let’s Talk About Bubbles and James Comey – Mother Jones

I may address other issues at some point but I am absolutely dead from work most of the time (note to davidm: that is also hyperbole) so it may be awhile.
Quote:
Most of this has already been addressed at length, but I would like to note that davidm is shamelessly lying, while accusing us of lying. Almost Trumpian in his level of projection.

davidm is referring to a post I made where I – hyperbolically – said that the media didn’t cover Hillary’s policy proposals. davidm wants us to believe that, as an “editor for a major daily”, he doesn’t possess an understanding of the English language sufficient enough to recognise a commonly used figure of speech. I don’t for a fucking second believe this, making it lie #1.

Even if we buy the extremely unbelievable premise that he didn’t recognise the hyperbole, however, I explicitly told him that it was hyperbole in a subsequent post, which he never responded to, or even acknowledged.

So he’s lying. He knows that no one here has ever literally said that Hillary’s policy proposals weren’t covered at all, but he’s still acting as though I did.

In conclusion, fuck off, liar.

(NB. I try not to waste time with interlocutors who are clearly engaging in bad faith, so I probably won’t bother addressing the rest of davidm’s bullshit.)
No? After I've repeatedly provided clear evidence that you're lying, you're just going to respond by saying "I know you are, but what am I?" and calling me a Trump partisan? (LOL.)

I can't say I expected any better; you're obviously no longer interested in having a substantive discussion. Fuck off, liar. :plonk:

(Note: If he ever actually does make a substantive response to anything I write, can someone who's not on my ignore list please let me know? Life's too short to waste time with bad-faith interlocutors who rarely/never post anything substantive and just repeat an endless fucking loop, but at one point he wasn't always this awful.)

“All for ourselves, and nothing for other people, seems, in every age of the world, to have been the vile maxim of the masters of mankind.” -Adam Smith

Last edited by The Man; 06-22-2018 at 06:16 PM.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:35 AM
Solipsist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamilah Hauptmann View Post
Except it isn't. The people who already knew may be becoming more vocal (which would be good) and visible (which would be good ... if true). The people who hadn't caught on are still suckers blindly believing the nonsense or blithely following the lying liar of Hamelin, fully aware, because "he's one of us".

Thanks, from:
Kamilah Hauptmann (06-22-2018), The Man (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 12:10 PM
Shitpost Sommelier

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamilah Hauptmann View Post
Except it isn't. The people who already knew may be becoming more vocal (which would be good) and visible (which would be good ... if true). The people who hadn't caught on are still suckers blindly believing the nonsense or blithely following the lying liar of Hamelin, fully aware, because "he's one of us".
People who are vocal and visible will only serve to draw attention to the art and science of headlines for the segment of society who does get curious about topics as they present themselves, and may not have put much thought into it before. I myself hadn't put that much thought into headlines until maybe the last year or so. (I've long haf a special mad on for the selection of unflattering photos of the subject during negative stories.)

I mean, I hope it's not my claim that's specious here as it would be kinda depressing if the curious mind is a binary rather than a continuum and rigid rather than plastic.

Thanks, from:
JoeP (06-22-2018), The Man (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 01:09 PM
Solipsist

Exactly (to your first sentence).

Depressingly, I think the proportion of people who are both curious and open to changing their minds (because there are intelligent, enquiring people at the political extremes too) is pretty small. Evidence: the entire world.

Thanks, from:
Kamilah Hauptmann (06-22-2018), The Man (06-22-2018)
Old 06-25-2018, 05:39 PM

Good thread from David Roberts of Vox regarding the wanking over civility in certain mainstream media outlets:

Thread by @drvox: "1. Unsurprisingly, this bit of kneejerk onanism from the WaPo editorial board completely misses the significance of this whole episode. In f […]"

Thanks, from:
Crumb (06-25-2018), erimir (06-25-2018), JoeP (06-25-2018), The Lone Ranger (06-25-2018)
Old 06-25-2018, 09:10 PM
Jin, Gi, Rei, Ko, Chi, Shin, Tei

Here's another great David Roberts thread covering a similar topic:

Quote:
2. So much talk about Democrats' "message" to rural & suburban whites, and the way they treat rural & suburban whites -- 99% of which proceeds in total, willful ignorance of the current media environment.

3. To put it bluntly: Democrats have virtually no control whatsoever over what rural & suburban whites (R&SW) hear. None. It doesn't *matter* what they say, what attitude they take, the tone they use, the message they craft. They have no way of reaching those R&SW directly.
Thanks, from:
The Man (06-25-2018)
Old 06-25-2018, 09:24 PM

Or rather, it might be that they have no way of reaching those rural and suburban whites other than directly.

They can't make a speech and hope they'll see it on TV or online. They can't introduce a bill and expect that FOX or whoever will tell them about it unless it's to lie about its contents.

The only way they can be seen by those folks is through ads or through going to them directly - door-to-door canvassing, direct phone calls or local events (particularly events that aren't specifically Democratic events). But that is expensive.

Meanwhile, Trump got his rallies aired live and often unfiltered, even on the ostensibly non-conservative CNN and liberal MSNBC.

It's mildly encouraging that FOX was the only one covering his latest rally live. Trump can make news at a rally, but the thing itself is not news. Most of what he says at those things is unimportant and/or a repeat of things he's already said. Most of it is also lies. There's no need for people to hear the latest stupid or horrible thing he said live. If it's notable enough they can always, you know, interrupt whatever they're doing. But there's absolutely no need to broadcast Trump's 400th reading of "The Snake" or yet more "lock her up" chants.
Thanks, from:
Ari (06-25-2018), Crumb (06-25-2018), Kamilah Hauptmann (06-25-2018), The Lone Ranger (06-25-2018), The Man (06-25-2018), Zehava (06-25-2018)
Old 06-25-2018, 10:57 PM
Shitpost Sommelier

Quote:
Originally Posted by erimir View Post
They can't introduce a bill and expect that FOX or whoever will tell them about it unless it's to lie about its contents.
:)

My recent favourite, compare the pull quote to the actual interview:

Thanks, from:
The Man (06-25-2018)
Old 06-26-2018, 04:39 AM

Michelle Wolf is a national treasure. This is amazing on so many levels - one of the best critiques I've seen of the FTFVNYT opinion pages in a long time.

Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (06-26-2018), The Lone Ranger (06-26-2018), viscousmemories (06-28-2018)
Old 06-26-2018, 11:17 PM

Seeing the news turn on a dime from "Crying distraught children are being put in cages by Republicans" to "Why are liberals so mean to Republicans?! Politely asking someone to leave is really beyond the pale!" really makes you think... :chin:

Makes you think that the problem in 2016 was that Hillary Clinton was just plain shitty and that's the only reason she lost. It's definitely not that the media is too easily sucked in by trumped up bad faith bullshit emanating from Republicans (such as the EMAILZ!!1! scandal) and those patterns of behavior persist even in the face of the nonstop barrage of dishonesty, corruption and cruelty coming from the White House.

So when complaining about the media letting themselves be played yet again by GOP bad faith, definitely don't compare it to previous instances of this happening, because Democrats have always been shitty and it's their fault that the media acts like GOP bullshit really is sincere this time.
Thanks, from:
Ari (06-26-2018), JoeP (06-27-2018), lisarea (06-27-2018), slimshady2357 (06-27-2018), The Man (06-26-2018)
Old 06-27-2018, 05:54 PM
happy now, Mussolini?

Thanks, from:
Kamilah Hauptmann (06-27-2018), lisarea (06-27-2018), slimshady2357 (06-27-2018), The Man (06-27-2018), viscousmemories (06-28-2018)
Old 06-27-2018, 07:14 PM
Mr. Condescending Dick Nose

This literally says she lashed out by QUOTING WORDS HE SPOKE.

Er ... no it doesn't.

It says Sotomayor lashed out at Trump and she quoted words he spoke. You'd have to read her dissent to know whether or not there was anything which accompanied those quotes that might also fairly be described as "lashing out".
lisarea (06-27-2018)
Old 06-27-2018, 07:38 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

That's true, but the NYT tweet implies that quoting his own words constitutes the lashing out. The article makes it clearer that the quoting was not the lashing out, but at this point, I think everyone realizes that most people don't read the fucking articles and about half of those who do are hate-reading, like I just did.

And it is a little weird that they characterize Sotomayer's dissent as 'lashing out,' while they characterize Trump's cap-riddled tweets using neutral terms like 'said' and 'tweeted.'
Thanks, from:
But (06-28-2018), Kyuss Apollo (06-27-2018), slimshady2357 (06-27-2018), The Man (06-27-2018), viscousmemories (06-28-2018)
Old 06-27-2018, 08:08 PM
Mr. Condescending Dick Nose

Of course there are many accurate and truthful things to say about the NYT's tweet. So there's really no excuse for mostlybree to post a bullshit comment, or for Kyuss to share it here (unless he wanted to hold it up as an example of bad practice).

... the NYT tweet implies that quoting his own words constitutes the lashing out.

Not by the norms of the English language as I know them. erimir, care to comment?

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law