Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > The Sciences

Old 07-30-2005, 04:50 AM
Why Worrry When There's Hot Sauce

Default "Astronomers claim discovery of 10th planet"

Pretty neat stuff I say!
Source: http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science...t_x.htm?csp=34

Quote:
Astronomers claim discovery of 10th planet
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Astronomers announced Friday that they have discovered a new planet larger than Pluto in orbit around the sun, likely renewing debate over what exactly is a planet and whether Pluto should keep its status.
An artist's conception shows the possible new planet and its relationship to the sun.
NASA/JPL-Caltech

The planet — the farthest-known object in the solar system — is currently 9 billion miles away from the sun, or about three times Pluto's current distance from the sun.

"This is the first object to be confirmed to be larger than Pluto in the outer solar system," Michael Brown, a planetary scientist at the California Institute of Technology, said in a telephone briefing Friday.

Brown labeled the object as a 10th planet, but there are scientists who dispute the classification of Pluto as such.

Astronomers do not know the new planet's exact size, but its brightness shows that it is at least as large as Pluto and could be up to 1 1/2 times bigger. The research was funded by NASA.

Brown has submitted a name for the new planet to the International Astronomical Union, which has yet to act on the proposal, but he did not release the proposed name Friday.

The briefing was hastily arranged after Brown received word that a secure Web site containing the discovery was hacked and the hacker threatened to release the information.

Brown and colleagues Chad Trujillo of the Gemini Observatory and David Rabinowitz of Yale University first photographed the object in 2003 using a 48-inch telescope at the Palomar Observatory.

But it was so far away that its motion was not detected until data was analyzed again this past January. It will take at least six months before astronomers can determine its exact size.

It has taken scientists this long to find the planet because its orbit is at an angle compared to the orbits of most planets. The new planet is rocky and icy, similar to Pluto, Brown said.

Alan Stern of the Southwestern Research Institute in Boulder, Colo., said he was not surprised by the discovery since other objects around the size of Pluto have been found in the Kuiper belt, a disc of icy debris beyond the orbit of Neptune.

What's unique about the latest finding is that the object appears to be bigger than Pluto, he said.

"Unless they've made a grave mistake, this is for real," said Stern, who had no role in the discovery.
Old 07-30-2005, 05:03 PM
Adequately Crumbulent

Default Re: "Astronomers claim discovery of 10th planet"

Cool. Though I agree that neither it nor Pluto are really planets, it's still cool to be discovering what is whizzing around the sun. :cheerful:
Old 07-30-2005, 11:55 PM

Astronomy is a very "cool" field, one which I've just recently begun to explore. There are so many things I should have taken in college. Oh well, I'll plunk along learning what I can on my own. .
Old 07-31-2005, 12:20 AM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

I know I should probably look this up and pretend I always knew, but what determines whether this new find is a planet, and if it's not a planet what is it?
Old 07-31-2005, 01:49 AM

Good question, well, as far as I'm concerned. It got me wondering and I found this: Definition of a planet which I found helpful.
Old 07-31-2005, 02:07 AM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

Interesting link, Hot Sauce. I didn't realize the definition was still in flux. I feel much less like a dumbass now. :pleased:
Old 07-31-2005, 03:33 AM
Adequately Crumbulent

I was just about to chime in and say that calling Pluto a planet is like calling the largest asteroid, Ceres a planet, but then I read HotSauce's article and I see it has covered the issue very well.
Old 08-04-2005, 06:02 PM
mostly harmless

Isn't at least one of Jupiter's moons bigger than Pluto?

Hey, liv, here's another link discussing the "planet" controversy.

Old 08-05-2005, 02:56 AM
Carl Sagan is my homeboy

Hmmmm....Mercury is about twice Pluto's size....so if this new one is close to that, maybe we should exchange it for Pluto and sent Pluto back to Asteroidom....
Old 08-05-2005, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godwhacker
Hmmmm....Mercury is about twice Pluto's size....so if this new one is close to that, maybe we should exchange it for Pluto and sent Pluto back to Asteroidom....
That will only work if some one remembered to save the receipt. The universe has a strict "returns" policy.

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > The Sciences