Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law

Old 06-12-2014, 04:02 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

Default Re: Why the Mainstream Media Really Sucks

I'd consider it flawed just because it's so easy to cheat, and there doesn't appear to be an across the board standard for the type of system. If you can just throw up some chatbot and say, "Oh, well, this is an annoying, non native speaking human who is probably acting like an asshole on purpose" to try to cover up the computer nonsense, it's kind of meaningless to compare it. (It's funny how the last hurdle seems to be not acting like an asshole. Like the ability not to be a jerk is the ultimate higher order brain function.)

And erimir is already right. There are already sort-of-bots that do fraudulent telemarketing calls, and because nobody thinks to question whether a human voice interacting with them on the phone is human or not, it seems pretty rare that people even notice. The companies using them are really secretive and deny they're even using them, so there's not much information on them I can find, though. They are probably at least partly just soundboards with operators who step in to control once it goes off script, but they do seem to have voice recognition for predictable responses. And people make a lot of obviously human-targeted complaints about them.

In fact, here is a sad story from my life that you should feel sorry for me about: Maybe a couple of weeks ago, one of our neighbors called to talk to Matlock and I answered, and I guess she was nervous or something (probably asking him on a date), so she sounded a little weird and I was being all terse and snippy because I thought she was one of those. Then, when I asked who she was and she told me, I was like, "OMG I'm sorry I was being mean! I thought you were a robot!" and she was like, "Oh, ah, heh heh. Ah, ha," and I kept trying to explain, "No, there are telemarketing robots. Automated systems that sound like humans that run these scams and stuff," and just kept digging myself in trying to explain that there are robots that call your house to, like, run elaborate confidence games.

She knows everybody, too, so she's probably told everyone I'm suffering from active delusions of robot persecution.
Thanks, from:
Adam (06-12-2014), beyelzu (06-13-2014), BrotherMan (06-12-2014), chunksmediocrites (06-16-2014), Clutch Munny (06-14-2014), Crumb (06-12-2014), Ensign Steve (06-12-2014), erimir (06-12-2014), Janet (06-12-2014), JoeP (06-12-2014), MonCapitan2002 (06-12-2014), One for Sorrow (06-13-2014), Pan Narrans (06-12-2014), slimshady2357 (06-12-2014), Sock Puppet (06-12-2014), Stormlight (06-13-2014), The Man (06-12-2014), Watser? (06-12-2014), Ymir's blood (06-14-2014)
Old 06-12-2014, 04:15 PM
Just keep m'nose clean, egg, chips & beans, I'm always full of steam

Well, someone had to tell them.

:sockpuppet:...........
Thanks, from:
Adam (06-12-2014), Angakuk (06-13-2014), BrotherMan (06-12-2014), Clutch Munny (06-14-2014), Crumb (06-12-2014), Ensign Steve (06-12-2014), erimir (06-12-2014), Janet (06-12-2014), JoeP (06-12-2014), lisarea (06-12-2014), One for Sorrow (06-13-2014), Pan Narrans (06-12-2014), Stormlight (06-13-2014), Watser? (06-12-2014), Ymir's blood (06-14-2014)
Old 06-12-2014, 10:15 PM
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarea View Post
I'd consider it flawed just because it's so easy to cheat, and there doesn't appear to be an across the board standard for the type of system. If you can just throw up some chatbot and say, "Oh, well, this is an annoying, non native speaking human who is probably acting like an asshole on purpose" to try to cover up the computer nonsense, it's kind of meaningless to compare it. (It's funny how the last hurdle seems to be not acting like an asshole. Like the ability not to be a jerk is the ultimate higher order brain function.)
It kinda is, although not exactly. Cooperative conversation really is a lot more difficult than uncooperative conversation. And assholes are less likely to be cooperative conversation partners (not necessarily though). Being a fairly cooperative conversational partner who is also an asshole would still be pretty hard though.

Convincing people that your chatbot is human and actually interested in and engaged with what you're saying is a much more difficult task. Imitating more intelligent people, or having different personalities... a lot more difficult. Imagine trying to make a chatbot that could convince people it was a catty drag queen with a sharp wit.

Another thing is that the Turing test should get harder to pass when computers start passing it. If it had been a team of AI researchers, computational linguists, etc. evaluating the chatbots, they wouldn't convince many. We're much more aware of the weaknesses of current technology.

As these types of things become better and so more common, we'll get a lot better at ferreting them out*. Hell, we'll even create other computer programs which are meant to figure them out, the same way we have with spam emails.

*Yes, I'm thinking about Blade Runner right now
Thanks, from:
Clutch Munny (06-14-2014), Crumb (06-13-2014), Janet (06-12-2014), JoeP (06-12-2014), lisarea (06-12-2014), Stormlight (06-13-2014)
Old 06-12-2014, 11:26 PM
California Sober

Hey guys! Did you hear the singularity happened? :frolic:
BrotherMan (06-12-2014), Clutch Munny (06-14-2014), Dingfod (06-14-2014), Janet (06-12-2014), lisarea (06-12-2014), Stormlight (06-13-2014)
Old 06-14-2014, 11:52 AM
Safety glasses off, motherfuckers

Tiger Beat on the Potomac seems to think The Dumbest Fucking Guy on the Planet is the appropriate person to write a column about the disintegration of Iraq.

Quote:
The genius who managed to keep the Mohammed Atta-In-Prague fairy tale alive almost single-handed? The leader of the Team B stovepipe team of dumbasses at the Pentagon? The brain behind the Office Of Special Plans, a kind of Goebbels For Dummies propaganda mill inside the government? The man who, in 2006, when his entire public career should have been a small pile of steaming meat by the side of the road to Mosul, said, "The administration sold it the way it sold it. That's history." Yes, and we're living through it now, you unprincipled and mysteriously unridiculed hack. Why any reporter would identify Feith with as anodyne a descriptive as "top Pentagon official during the George W. Bush administration" is beyond me. But wait, there's more....

Nobody was more central to the process of lying the country into the war than this clown. Nobody was more central to the events here that are at the root of the events currently happening over there. He is a primary source-point for a vast torrent of moral and political pollution that entered the mainstream and is poisoning the world to this day. The only way that anyone should be able to interview Doug Feith is by getting permission first from the warden.
It's not the only instance of derp in the publication recently, either. Read the whole piece.

“All for ourselves, and nothing for other people, seems, in every age of the world, to have been the vile maxim of the masters of mankind.” -Adam Smith

last.fm · my music · Marathon Expanded Universe
Thanks, from:
Adam (06-14-2014), Clutch Munny (06-14-2014), Crumb (06-14-2014), Hermit (06-14-2014), Janet (06-14-2014), MonCapitan2002 (06-15-2014), Nullifidian (06-16-2014), Watser? (06-14-2014)
Old 06-15-2014, 02:16 AM
Servant of the Dark Lord

The last thing we should do is go back into Iraq. I happen to think anyone seriously suggesting we do should be placed in a mental institution.

Allan Glenn. 1984-2005 RIP
:countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep:
Under no circumstances should Quentin Tarantino be allowed to befoul Star Trek.
Old 06-15-2014, 09:46 PM

Fox News freaks out over 4Chan hoax that feminists are plotting to end Father’s Day

lolfoxnews.

“All for ourselves, and nothing for other people, seems, in every age of the world, to have been the vile maxim of the masters of mankind.” -Adam Smith

Thanks, from:
Janet (06-19-2014), lisarea (06-15-2014), Nullifidian (06-16-2014), Stormlight (06-16-2014), Watser? (06-16-2014), Ymir's blood (06-16-2014)
Old 06-16-2014, 12:43 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

Well, it is 4Chan so it could actually be a real thing. They are very powerful, you know.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:50 AM
Servant of the Dark Lord

Why would anyone believe anything coming out of that cesspit? And by cesspit, I mean Fox News. 4Chan is a respectable institution compared to Fox News.

:countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep:
Thanks, from:
Pan Narrans (06-17-2014), The Man (06-21-2014)
Old 07-03-2014, 08:45 PM

Recently a poll was released saying that Reagan was ranked as the best president since WWII and Obama was the worst.

This poll means a lot less than the media are pretending it does for a lot of reasons. First of all, the incumbent president nearly always ranks at or near the top of the "worst presidents" list in polls like these. Secondly, Republicans tended to vote in lock-step while Democrats split their votes:

There's a lot more to this stupidity, and Steve Benen breaks it down in the link above. There's really nothing to see here.

Thanks, from:
Clutch Munny (07-03-2014), Dingfod (07-04-2014), Janet (07-03-2014)
Old 07-03-2014, 10:48 PM

You could point out that more Republicans called Reagan the worst than Democrats, and Republicans preferred Obama (as the "best") over Bush II, Clinton and LBJ.
Thanks, from:
Dingfod (07-04-2014)
Old 07-04-2014, 10:08 AM
Servant of the Dark Lord

That poll is bullshit, I think. Regardless of what people think. George W. Bush was by far the worst President in the history of the United States. The fucker launched an illegal war against a country that never attacked us on fraudulent grounds. That same war completely destabilized the entire Middle East, potentially leading to conflicts that will last for generations to come.

He launched an unnecessary war that displaced millions of people, killed hundreds of thousands and likely will lead to the ultimate dissolution to Iraq as a country. Even Nixon's misdeeds pale in comparison to the atrocities committed by Bush.

The man should be hanged as a war criminal along with the upper levels of his entire administration. That some of these fuckers have careers as pundits and have been enriched by that war is fucking infuriating!

Old 07-04-2014, 01:16 PM
Fishy mokey

Ronald Reagan, lol.
Dingfod (07-05-2014), Janet (07-09-2014), Pan Narrans (07-04-2014), Stormlight (07-04-2014), The Man (07-04-2014)
Old 07-04-2014, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonCapitan2002 View Post
That poll is bullshit, I think. Regardless of what people think. George W. Bush was by far the worst President in the history of the United States.
I mean, Buchanan kinda led the US right into the Civil War. That seems pretty bad too. And Hoover didn't do so hot on the economy.

Dubya is definitely bottom 10 material though, probably worse. Especially if you exclude Garfield and Harrison for dying before they could do much of anything. I'd need to read more about other shitty presidents.
Thanks, from:
Ari (07-04-2014), Janet (07-09-2014), Kael (07-04-2014), The Man (07-04-2014)
Old 07-04-2014, 08:30 PM
I read some of your foolish scree, then just skimmed the rest.

Really I think there's some skewing going on based on what people actually lived through.

Not to defend Bush or anything but I'm pretty sure he was just a puppet, Dick Cheney and Carl Rove should be the ones on that list and the ones hated more. If you look at what they've gone on to do, Cheney is still his evil money grubbing old self whereas Bush has kinda removed himself from public view except for painting purty pictures. I wonder/hope he's realized what happened and how he was used.

I might put Nixon over Bush specifically because he had a direct hand in recreating slavery.
Thanks, from:
Crumb (07-05-2014), Janet (07-09-2014), The Man (07-04-2014), Zehava (07-06-2014)
Old 07-04-2014, 10:52 PM
puzzler

Nixon also committed the heinous crime of wasting the precious moon time of the Apollo 11 astronauts, and boring the watching public with his infamous 'phone call'.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:04 PM
Fishy mokey

Reagan fucked up major league in Lebanon. He sent in troops supposedly as peace keepers but they started siding with the 'government' which in practice meant on the side of the Maronites in the struggle against the Druze in the Shouf mountains that the Maronite militias had provoked. The old battleship USS New Jersey carried out heavy bombardments against Druze and Syrian positions. That's why their Shi'ite allies bombed the CIA headquarters and then on 24 October 1983 the Marine headquarters, killing 241. And a couple of months the US left Lebanon with its tail between its legs.

Not to mention the Iran-Contra thing.
Dingfod (07-05-2014), Janet (07-09-2014), The Man (07-04-2014)
Old 07-04-2014, 11:56 PM
simple country microbiologist hyperchicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari View Post
I might put Nixon over Bush specifically because he had a direct hand in recreating slavery.
How so?
Old 07-05-2014, 12:44 AM
Servant of the Dark Lord

Quote:
Really I think there's some skewing going on based on what people actually lived through.

Not to defend Bush or anything but I'm pretty sure he was just a puppet, Dick Cheney and Carl Rove should be the ones on that list and the ones hated more. If you look at what they've gone on to do, Cheney is still his evil money grubbing old self whereas Bush has kinda removed himself from public view except for painting purty pictures. I wonder/hope he's realized what happened and how he was used.

While it is true that he was largely a puppet of Cheney, it doesn't change the fact that he was the one invested with the power of the Presidency. Cheney and Rove never would've been able to commit their crimes with the ease that they did without his cooperation.

Additionally, he is ultimately responsible for the worst terrorist attack on US soil in modern history. The US security apparatus was caught asleep at the wheel while those planes were being flown into the Pentagon and World Trade Center.

Old 07-05-2014, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyelzu View Post
Quote:
How so?
There's some evidence the drug war and 1970s drug scheduling act was directly related to Nixon hating blacks (and that sin music Jazz) and wanting to lock them up without it seeming like he was targeting them.
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (02-05-2015), Crumb (07-05-2014), Janet (07-09-2014), The Man (07-07-2014), Watser? (07-05-2014), Zehava (07-06-2014)
Old 02-05-2015, 03:53 AM

Brian Williams admits he doesn't know the difference between being in a helicopter shot with and RPG and *not* being in a helicopter shot by an RPG. Apparently these two events are easy to get mixed up.
NBC’s Brian Williams recants Iraq story after soldiers protest - U.S. - Stripes

While I'm sure Fox News viewers will take this as how the MSM lies all the time, to be fair and balanced I'll also add that a recent politifacts report shows only 28% of statements made by fox news are true or partly true. I'm sure Fox will be calling Brian Williams to star in a show any day now.
http://www.politifact.com/punditfact/tv/fox/
Thanks, from:
Janet (02-05-2015), livius drusus (02-20-2015), The Man (02-05-2015), Watser? (02-05-2015)
Old 10-30-2015, 11:49 AM

Vague rumors of an FBI "warning" led multiple media outlets to spew nonsense about an anarchist plot to riot on Halloween promulgated by a group that doesn't even exist. :facepalm:

It would almost be funny if it weren't for the fact that it significantly raises the risk that some paranoid, fearful wingnut will take a potshot at a trick-or-treater this Halloween.
Thanks, from:
Ari (10-30-2015), curses (10-30-2015), Dingfod (10-31-2015), Janet (10-30-2015), lisarea (10-30-2015), livius drusus (10-30-2015), Pan Narrans (10-30-2015), SharonDee (10-31-2015), Sock Puppet (11-02-2015), Stephen Maturin (10-30-2015), Stormlight (10-30-2015), The Man (10-30-2015), Watser? (10-30-2015), Ymir's blood (10-30-2015)
Old 10-30-2015, 05:59 PM
Coffee, tea, anti-Nazi

Research and common sense? Nah, we need to make sure folks click on our links! We'll throw in some dubious wording in the end to let them know we knew it was an urban legend all along.
Police warn parents if your child gets this in their trick-or-treat bag, it’s not candy | fox13now.com

Every year the same story. Every year it doesn't happen.
BrotherMan (10-30-2015), Crumb (10-30-2015), Dingfod (10-31-2015), Janet (10-31-2015), lisarea (10-30-2015), livius drusus (10-30-2015), Nullifidian (10-30-2015), Stormlight (11-02-2015), The Man (10-30-2015), Watser? (10-30-2015), Ymir's blood (10-30-2015)
Old 10-30-2015, 06:09 PM
Coffin Creep

Null, Anarchist scares are so 100 years ago. Gay Muslims are a more credible threat.

curses, sometimes you have to he proactive. Just saying.
curses (10-30-2015), Janet (10-31-2015), Nullifidian (10-30-2015), Stormlight (11-02-2015)
Old 10-30-2015, 06:24 PM
Fishy mokey

Oh, speaking of gay Muslims: there's this Muslim member of parliament (Green Left party) who came out the other day. Now haters don't know if they should hate him because Moozlim or cuddle him because gay. Lol, just kidding. It's one thing to hate Muslims because they hate the gheys, it's another thing when there's a gay Muslim. Then it turns out those free speech lurving tolerant right wingers are just your regular Muslim-hating gay-bashers after all.
curses (10-30-2015), Dingfod (10-31-2015), Janet (10-31-2015), JoeP (10-30-2015), Nullifidian (10-30-2015), Pan Narrans (10-30-2015), SharonDee (10-31-2015), Sock Puppet (11-02-2015), Stormlight (11-02-2015), The Man (10-30-2015), Ymir's blood (10-30-2015)

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law