Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > Lifestyle

Old 11-22-2004, 10:26 AM
Raping the Marlboro Man

Default Eeeeee...

Gods. I'm meant to be on fucking holidays, but instead I feel all stressed out again.

Please excuse this thread, it really is just a bit of venting, though it does have a question at the bottom if you want to scroll that far. I don't feel like posting it in my lj just cos. So you can all fucking suffer.

First of all, I'm having to sort out university subjects much earlier than I usually would because I'm actually looking to get a fucking job sometime next year, and I want to get this shit out of the way now. Also, I'm hoping to graduate at the end of next year, but Im not sure if I'm going to be able to and a very shitty university isn't helping much.

I'm also doing majors in a department that is basically at the bottom of the school pecking order- cultural, media and communication studies. Whilst this isn't going to excessively hinder my degree completion, all the hotshit subjects like New Media Technology and Art & the Internet which I practically gagging to do are being bumped back a year to 2006 so I have to do not-so-hotshit subjects instead. This is just a personal thing though, because I would have loved to do this stuff. In fact, I just realised I've been worrying so much about this shit I thought I had to do more major-required subjects than I do. *keels over* I also don't know if I have to make up some units for subjects I've failed/dropped, but I hope I can get that sorted tomorrow by talking to someone. It's not guaranteed though, because the student services at my uni are SHEEETTT.

I still don't have my licence. I've been for my learners twice and I failed both times *argh!*. It's really fucking frustrating because it's like some fucking social transgression not to be able to drive a fucking car by the time you're 18 or some shit.

*bangs head against wall*

I rang up today answering a job in the newspaper for tutors for high school kids, but now I'm worrying that I'm not going to be able to handle study and tutoring a kid or two. I dunno. My self-confidence regarding any kind of vocation has been shot to pieces over the last couple of years, so maybe that's just why I'm worrying about this shit.

But this last part is really kind of worrying me the most. So has anybody here tutored kids before? I mean in a way thats run by an agency but you still get like, cash-in-hand and I think you have to do lesson plans and stuff. And it sounds like kids from gr 10-12, mostly in English. Anyone at all?
Old 11-22-2004, 10:34 AM
God Made Me A Skeptic

Default Re: Eeeeee...

Can't help on the rest, but I didn't get my license until I was 23. Lazy bastard!
Save me / and when you see me strut / remind me of what left this outlaw torn
Old 11-22-2004, 12:31 PM
A fellow sophisticate

No tutoring for me. I tried to teach my kids to play the piano, I don't have the patience for it.

As for the driving licence, I was driving my sisters to their piano lessons when I was 14 or 15, but I'm not everyone. Perhaps you subconsciously don't really want to drive.
Old 11-22-2004, 12:45 PM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

I've tutored kids in English before, but they were younger and there was definitely no agency involved. I basically helped them with (and expanded upon) their homework. Their nanny used to roast sweet potatoes for all of us as an after school snack. That shit ruled.

I couldn't tell from your post if the agency provides lesson plans or expects you to scare them up. There's got to be some kind of syllabus or curriculum you're intended to cover. If you have to make your own lesson plan for 3 different grades of students that's a shitload of time, for sure.

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > Lifestyle