Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-03-2004, 05:20 PM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

Newspaper Why Bush Said We Can't Win War on Terror

...by Ira Chernus

I found this a really lucid analysis, as well as chilling, of course, but I should be used to that combination at this point. From the article:

Quote:
"Business" and "linkages" are the operative words, as Bush made clear a few weeks later: "We cannot let the terrorists achieve the objective of frightening our nation to the point where we don't conduct business or people don't shop. Terrorists want to turn the openness of the global economy against itself. We must not let them.. Out of the sorrow of September 11th, I see opportunity to expand our ties of trade." For the Bushies, victory does not mean ending terrorism. It means keeping terrorism contained enough to preserve the linkages of the international corporate economy, so Americans can keep on shopping.
But that's not just Bush's position, needless to say. The Democrats are right there with him when it comes to fostering US economic hegemony even at gunpoint.

Quote:
That goal won't be up for debate in this campaign season. The Democrats are just as committed to it as the GOP. Just two days after 9/11, Democratic pundit Thomas Friedman explained what the war on terrorism is all about. There is a battle raging throughout the Muslim world, he said, between the modernizers, who accept the dominance of US-style globalization, and the traditionalists who oppose it. The goal of this new war is to break the power of the traditionalists forever.
I've got Clutch's black depression descending now. It's not like I've never heard any of this before, but after the horrors of the RNC and the perpetual fear that Kerry will lose this race, I feel boxed-in by even the best case scenario.

Sigh...

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law