Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Atrium

Old 07-29-2004, 08:21 PM
Xhiroeun

Default Greek Letters Round These Parts

First, I've just been wondering about some of the Greek letters present in various images scattered around these Φora (I'm a bad'un, I am), and a couple of questions about their placement and their meanings.

I have decided to compile a short, probably-not-very-comprehensive list of the Greek letter's that I have spotted and can find again. So: on Index.php !

• Capital omega to the left of Freethought Forum. Links to the current page (well, to "index.php?", but y'know). Unless there's some meaning of omega that implies root-level and not just last, I'd imagine alpha to be more suitable for this spot.
• Phi, on the right side of the screen, across from each forum section (such as Forum Life). This is present in lots o' places and invokes some arcane wizardry to collapse the succeeding section, whereupon it becomes a wide phi and waits to expand the section. I don't see any reason to have used phi here instead of something else; was there one?
• Capital phi, to the left of each sub-forum; this denotes whether the forum has new messages or not . Makes sense to me to use this letter, given the pronunciation of phi. Some have erroneously labeled this "psi", to whom I say: for shame, some. For shame.
• Capital sigma on the right side of the Last Post column. Surprisingly enough, it takes you to the last post. Sigma, as I've always known it, means sum or summation, -- is it meant to imply that the last post is the sum of all previous posts in a recursive function trending towards infinity in a twisted form of the Fibonacci sequence!??!22!!!@!two!!!!!1!

Within each subforum, there are fun and exciting Greek letters too!
• Capital omega here too, in the same place, though the one next to Freethought Forum does little for me besides trying to take me a blank anchor.
• Lowercase nu embedded in the "new thread" image . There is a certain neatness about this usage: meant for its N sound, its English pronunciation, or both.
• Capital psi to the left of topics to which you have replied, further differentiated into new posts , no new posts , hot new posts , and no new posts, but still hot , varieties. Obviously a reference to the Schrodinger equation with its psi function (read: I'm missing the real significance, if there is any).
• Capital sigma here again, and it does the same thing.

And there are more letters in individual threads! It's almost as if there is a unifying theme in this website! But not really, because nobody does that. Nobody.
• Another omega or two, another nu. Recurring letters for recurring ideas! It's madness!
• Lowercase theta embedded in the "quote" image . I don't see any reason for using theta here; again, am I missing it or is it not there?
• Khi (or chi) to report a bad post -- oh, wait. That's just the English letter X. But it could have been a khi! It coulda!

And those are all the Greek letters I see: Capital omega, phi, capital phi, capital sigma, capital omega (again), lowercase nu, capital psi, capital sigma (again), omega and lowercase nu (again and again), lowercase theta, and khi.
Those letters in italics are those letters the usage of which I believe I understand.

Are there others that I've missed through egregious neglect of perception? Through excessive death? Through sudden and massive existence failure? I'd love to know!

K

εDIT: there's also epsilon, embedded in the "edit" button . Pronounced like a short E in English, this makes sense. Fitting that I'd edit my post to add it, no?

Last edited by Chiron; 07-29-2004 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Epsilon
Old 07-30-2004, 01:44 AM
Raping the Marlboro Man

Default Re: Greek Letters Round These Parts

Nevermind...

Last edited by Adora; 07-30-2004 at 01:46 AM. Reason: I'm an ass...
Old 07-30-2004, 04:45 AM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

I told Josh someone would do an in depth analysis of the greek letters. See Josh? See? There's the reason I was such a consistent pain in your ass.
Old 07-30-2004, 05:30 AM
Stay Puft!

when i made the images, none of the greek letters had any meaning behind them, but where just what liv wanted or approved. the only thing remotely close would be on the new thread, reply, and postbit images, which most of the time compliment the first letter of the word on the button in the symbol font.

btw, the khi (X) is actually a letter X, nothing greek.
Old 07-30-2004, 06:50 AM
Xhiroeun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiron
· Khi (or chi) to report a bad post -- oh, wait. That's just the English letter X. But it could have been a khi! It coulda! [emphasis added]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvexio
btw, the khi (X) is actually a letter X, nothing greek.
Hah! I am vindicated in a vindicatoritionary-itudinous manner! Hahahah!!!!! And so pleased I could grant my oft-requested services, liv -- I'm always happy to oblige.

K
Master of the winking smilie, ;)
Old 07-30-2004, 10:57 PM
Solipsist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiron
have erroneously labeled this "psi", to whom I say: for shame, some.
I'm shamed. Now bugger off. :fuming:

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Old 08-04-2004, 07:23 PM
Xhiroeun

Hey, I found another one: the PM-replied-to image is a lower-case lambda.

And read Fafblog! the worlds only source for Fafblog.

K
Old 08-04-2004, 09:13 PM
Xhiroeun

Two More! Will The Madness Never End!

Both in private messages: the "forward" button's phi (more phi! What is the world coming to!) and the "reply" button's rho (a new one! Don't let them!).

K

Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Atrium