Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature

Old 04-20-2009, 05:13 AM

Television Happy TV Turnoff Week!

It's the 13th annual TV Turnoff Week (a.k.a. Digital Detox) starting tomorrow, April 20th, through the 26th.

Everyone at our house has agreed to participate, so I envision a lot of playing Settlers of Catan. It's also a Free Tuesday this week at the Mingei International Museum, San Diego Museum of Art, San Diego Museum of Man, and the Japanese Friendship Garden. We've also agreed to form a party to go see a performance of Marc Blitzstein's The Cradle Will Rock, a 30s-era Federal Theatre Project musical which was famously suppressed by the government.

There's been progressively more coverage in of this movement. This year, it was a featured story in the Financial Times. Here's the money quote:

Quote:
Though Aric Sigman believes the anti-TV movement is gathering momentum (“I don’t get the volume of hate mail I did, say, 18 months ago,” he says), abstainers still tend to be treated with derision and disbelief. [Justin] Small patiently endures regular phone calls from TV Licensing asking why he hasn’t got a licence. “The last one said, ‘We operate on the basis that we don’t believe you and we’d like to send someone round to see for themselves.’

“I said, ‘Fine, but just telephone first to make sure I’m in. I tend to go out quite a lot, you see.’

“‘Why’s that?’ the man asked.

“‘Because I don’t have a TV.’”
Touche! :lol:

Last edited by Nullifidian; 04-20-2009 at 05:24 AM.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:50 AM
Coffin Creep

Default Re: Happy TV Turnoff Week!

/smug mode on

My TV hasn't been turned on in weeks and even so it's only hooked up to the DVD player.

/smug mode off
Old 04-20-2009, 02:19 PM
ŧiggermonkey

I hardly ever watch tv either. :unnope:
Old 04-20-2009, 02:42 PM
Tellifying

Yup, we're doing this in our household, too. No TV, no DVDs, no Wii and no PC.

Of course, I'm posting now. But, I'm not at home, am I? No sir, I'm posting from work!
Old 04-20-2009, 04:20 PM
God Made Me A Skeptic

I watch a lot of DVDs, sometimes, but I haven't had working TV in years.
Save me / and when you see me strut / remind me of what left this outlaw torn
Old 04-20-2009, 04:24 PM
ne'er-do-well

It's a nice idea, but I already watch less than three hours of TV a week, so I don't feel inclined to participate.

These days, I'm sure people will just load up their DVR/TiVO/etc. during TV turnoff week, then double up on watching things next week. :stoopid:
Old 04-20-2009, 04:24 PM
Adequately Crumbulent

Sorry, I have basketball games to watch. :unnod:
Old 04-20-2009, 05:02 PM
Vice Cobra Assistant Commander

This has always seemed like a silly reactionary thing to me, but I guess that may be because I'm not really in the target demographic. I don't watch a lot of TV and, as often as not, my primary enjoyment is watching and/or discussing what I've watched with friends.

Oh, and hate mail? Who the hell sends hate mail to someone for encouraging participation in a voluntary period of electronic fasting?
Old 04-20-2009, 06:25 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Oh, and hate mail? Who the hell sends hate mail to someone for encouraging participation in a voluntary period of electronic fasting?
It's weird, but a lot of people get really worked up about that. They're just being defensive for some reason.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:59 PM
Babby Police

:cartman:

My teevee's always on and I'm not turning it off.
Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (04-20-2009)
Old 04-20-2009, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I have no idea, but I think it does tend to show that TV Turnoff Week may not be as reactionary as you think it is. If people have such a violent reaction to the mere idea of abstaining from TV, then something is clearly wrong.

The FT article also goes into several interesting studies of how television changes the culture and attitudes of society. There really may be something to the idea that too much TV is bad for you.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wei yau View Post

Of course, I'm posting now. But, I'm not at home, am I? No sir, I'm posting from work!
You are absolved, my son. :preach:

In truth, I can't really "digitally detox" either, since I need to use a computer to get my work done and read journal articles. But I don't think that's really the target they had in mind either. I think Adbusters' focus is on removing all the digital distractions like Twitter, Facebook, Blackberries, etc. that encourage passivity and sitting behind a screen as a substitute for socialization.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:46 PM
Vice Cobra Assistant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nullifidian View Post
I think Adbusters' focus is on removing all the digital distractions like Twitter, Facebook, Blackberries, etc. that encourage passivity and sitting behind a screen as a substitute for socialization.
Well, I guess part of my skepticism is that it's not clear to me to what degree those things are substitutes for socialization and to what degree those things are species of socialization.

To take Facebook (or :ff:, even), for example, there are people I talk to online that I would not take the time to engage in real life. I only have so much time in a day, much of which is spent socializing with the friends and family to which I'm closest, and without the ability to easily communicate electronically with people outside that circle, I would rarely have the time to do so. I guess one could question how valuable that sort of second-order socialization is, but one could also question whether or not the relatively small amount of time I spend doing so could be easily repurposed to more authentic socialization.

ETA: Again, though, I don't know that I'm really in the target audience, so perhaps my experience is not applicable.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:49 PM
God Made Me A Skeptic

How is electronic socialization not a form of socialization? I like to hang out with my friends. Many of my friends are online. I hang out with them online.

I'm not driving to fucking Calgary just because someone thinks I shouldn't be using a keyboard to communicate with a friend.
Save me / and when you see me strut / remind me of what left this outlaw torn
Old 04-20-2009, 08:59 PM
ne'er-do-well

Well, there's a difference between communicating electronically with people you also see in person, and having "Internet friends".

I may use E-mail to coordinate a dinner out with friends, but I also see them in person and have actual face-to-face interaction with them.

Contrast that with people you just "chat" with online. I think there is a very real limit to the amount of meaningful interaction you can have with people you only know through the computer screen.

In addition, befriending your neighbors means that not only will you have IRL interaction with them, but that you have to learn to accept things about them you don't like. On the vast Internet, you can choose to interact solely with people who share basically the same world view as you. It's one of the reasons we have so much trouble disagreeing with people nowadays; we're not used to having fundamental disagreements.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:47 AM
A fellow sophisticate

I don't have anything in common with my neighbors except we live in the same neighborhood, if you can call five acre lots across from 20-50 acre parcels a neighborhood. I don't want to interact with them, nor they me. If it was going to happen it would've happened 9 years ago when we first moved here, went around an introduced ourselves and made an open invitation to them to drop by "any time", which never happened and probably wasn't when it was clear we weren't interested in attending the Freewill Baptist Church on the hill or weren't Jehovah's Witness. No, it's live and let live out here. They don't bother me and I don't bother them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nullifidian View Post
It's the 13th annual TV Turnoff Week (a.k.a. Digital Detox) starting tomorrow, April 20th, through the 26th.

Everyone at our house has agreed to participate, so I envision a lot of playing Settlers of Catan. It's also a Free Tuesday this week at the Mingei International Museum, San Diego Museum of Art, San Diego Museum of Man, and the Japanese Friendship Garden. We've also agreed to form a party to go see a performance of Marc Blitzstein's The Cradle Will Rock, a 30s-era Federal Theatre Project musical which was famously suppressed by the government.

There's been progressively more coverage in of this movement. This year, it was a featured story in the Financial Times. Here's the money quote:

Quote:
Though Aric Sigman believes the anti-TV movement is gathering momentum (“I don’t get the volume of hate mail I did, say, 18 months ago,” he says), abstainers still tend to be treated with derision and disbelief. [Justin] Small patiently endures regular phone calls from TV Licensing asking why he hasn’t got a licence. “The last one said, ‘We operate on the basis that we don’t believe you and we’d like to send someone round to see for themselves.’

“I said, ‘Fine, but just telephone first to make sure I’m in. I tend to go out quite a lot, you see.’

“‘Why’s that?’ the man asked.

“‘Because I don’t have a TV.’”
Touche! :lol:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ymir's blood View Post
/smug mode on

My TV hasn't been turned on in weeks and even so it's only hooked up to the DVD player.

/smug mode off
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelli View Post
I hardly ever watch tv either. :unnope:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wei yau View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by seebs View Post
I watch a lot of DVDs, sometimes, but I haven't had working TV in years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waluigi View Post
It's a nice idea, but I already watch less than three hours of TV a week, so I don't feel inclined to participate.

These days, I'm sure people will just load up their DVR/TiVO/etc. during TV turnoff week, then double up on watching things next week. :stoopid:
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scarlatti View Post
:cartman:

My teevee's always on and I'm not turning it off.
:yeahthat:

We have four TVs and one at work that are on almost all the time and we will be more than making up for all of your absences in the TV audience this week.
Waluigi (04-21-2009)
Old 04-21-2009, 04:27 AM

My TV viewing week:

Sunday: n/a
Monday: Heroes (Except I managed to NOT tune in tonight. I'm proud of myself for this.)
Tuesday: n/a
Wednesday: Lost
Thursday: n/a
Friday: Dollhouse

I don't even compensate by watching DVD's. The Internet keeps me away from the devil TeeVee. Now who's going to help me step away from the laptop? :?
Old 04-21-2009, 04:54 AM
Not as smart as Adam

Fucking Commie Hippies.

"TV is eeeeevil."

"It's destroying the fabric of society."

Siit down, put Family Guy on and shut the fuck up. To not like TV is to not like America. Goddammit, America was built on one thing. TV. TV and Mom's apple pie. Two things, America was built on two things. TV, Mom's apple pie and white picket fences. Three things! America was...
Demimonde (04-21-2009)
Old 04-21-2009, 05:40 AM
A fellow sophisticate

Whoa, there. American Pie was not a TV series; Picket Fences, on the other hand, was.

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature