Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Computers & Technology

Old 12-06-2014, 02:25 AM
here to bore you with pictures

Default Re: WTF happened to Google?

Because of my "interest in Walking Dead," Google Now spoiled the fate of one of the characters. I don't have AMC, so I'm not up to date on the current season.
Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (12-06-2014), Janet (12-06-2014), lisarea (12-06-2014)
Old 12-06-2014, 07:19 AM
California Sober

Good luck to you if you follow any sports teams. I won't even launch chrome if I have more than 5 minutes in the buffer on the DVR.
Old 12-26-2014, 07:17 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

OH FOR THE FUCK OF SHIT.

I was being lazy when I got my tablet. I just wanted something that worked out of the box, so I got a Nexus, figuring how bad can it really be?

PRETTY BAD YOU GUYS. IT'S PRETTY BAD. This out of the box shit doesn't do it at all.

I have spent so much time and effort undoing crap on this thing, and I guess I forgot how much I had already done when I finally, after getting nagged for a while, 'upgraded' to Lollipop and it immediately started trying to shove G+ down my throat AGAIN trying to trick me into joining, and it unrooted me, so now I get to re-do that because I don't even fucking own this piece of shit garbage.

I need to remember this the next time I think I'm going to save myself heartache and misery by just going along with some out of the box device. Nothing is ever right out of the box. It just prolongs all the setup and tweaking so you do it over a longer period than you would if you actually built your own or something, and then, after it's done, they're still constantly fucking around with you and undoing the things you've already done I guess hoping that eventually they'll wear you out and you'll give up.

STOP IT, ENSIGN STEVE. STOP IT NOW.
Thanks, from:
ceptimus (12-28-2014), Ensign Steve (12-26-2014), Janet (01-03-2015), JoeP (12-26-2014), Sock Puppet (12-29-2014), SR71 (02-03-2015)
Old 12-26-2014, 08:25 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

I will send you the little old tablet I have here to start from scratch if you want it. It has an SD slot even. Kiddo got a Kindle so doesn't need it for the only thing I could make work on it. Wipe it and build your own
Thanks, from:
lisarea (12-26-2014)
Old 12-26-2014, 08:59 PM

Thank you, and especially thank you for thinking I would even know how to do that. But I don't know nearly enough about hardware or that kind of system level stuff to even know where to start.

Right now, I'm kind of trying to get my head back together and consider my options because I am genuinely pissed and afraid that I'm going to snap that piece of shit in half if I start messing with it now. (Their fucking upgrade made my external storage and my whole personal wiki system unusable and I keep finding other broken stuff too).

I'm currently considering a couple of options. I'm either going to just re-root it, or I'll install either Cyanogen or Ubuntu Touch. If I brick it, which I might, then I have to start over from scratch and try to find a tablet that doesn't constantly fight me and fucking treat me like I'm a criminal for using it.

Grrrrrrr.
Thanks, from:
Janet (01-03-2015), JoeP (12-26-2014), LadyShea (12-26-2014)
Old 12-26-2014, 09:37 PM
Solipsist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
Wipe it and build your own
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarea View Post
Thank you, and especially thank you for thinking I would even know how to do that. But I don't know nearly enough about hardware or that kind of system level stuff to even know where to start.

I'm either going to just re-root it, or I'll install either Cyanogen or Ubuntu Touch. ...
You don't know enough to wipe and rebuild a tablet system but you're cool with rooting and installing custom ROMs? What is the difference? I don't think she meant you should compile your own kernel.

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (12-26-2014), SR71 (02-03-2015)
Old 12-26-2014, 09:58 PM
California Sober

Quote:
Make me an offer. :spend:
BrotherMan (12-26-2014), Janet (01-03-2015), LadyShea (12-26-2014), lisarea (12-26-2014), SR71 (02-03-2015), Watser? (12-28-2014)
Old 12-26-2014, 10:15 PM

OMG JoeP it's like you're not even reading our emails!

The tablet she's talking about doesn't have any custom ROMs available for it. I tried to find one for her a while back and couldn't find much information about it at all. So yeah, it would require a whole bunch of work I don't know how to do.

I am fine installing an existing custom ROM on a widely supported platform (mine is a 2013 Nexus 7, and that's a big part of the reason I got it), but would not know how to make one myself.

It's just fucking obscene and ridiculous that I have to void my warranty to use my own hardware that I paid for, and even after I do that, Google is constantly trying to install malware that gives them control of my system.

I mean, yes, I guess it was stupid of me to 'upgrade' my system, but it's stupid for the same reason it's stupid to install any other malware. It's stupid because they are malicious, untrustworthy motherfuckers trying to take control of other people's devices.

And seriously, just every once in a while, I would like to be able to buy something that just works out of the box.
Thanks, from:
Janet (01-03-2015), JoeP (12-27-2014), LadyShea (12-26-2014)
Old 12-27-2014, 03:02 AM
Not drowning. Waving.

Quote:
OH FOR THE FUCK OF SHIT.

I was being lazy when I got my tablet. I just wanted something that worked out of the box, so I got a Nexus, figuring how bad can it really be?

PRETTY BAD YOU GUYS. IT'S PRETTY BAD. This out of the box shit doesn't do it at all.

I have spent so much time and effort undoing crap on this thing, and I guess I forgot how much I had already done when I finally, after getting nagged for a while, 'upgraded' to Lollipop and it immediately started trying to shove G+ down my throat AGAIN trying to trick me into joining, and it unrooted me, so now I get to re-do that because I don't even fucking own this piece of shit garbage.

I need to remember this the next time I think I'm going to save myself heartache and misery by just going along with some out of the box device. Nothing is ever right out of the box. It just prolongs all the setup and tweaking so you do it over a longer period than you would if you actually built your own or something, and then, after it's done, they're still constantly fucking around with you and undoing the things you've already done I guess hoping that eventually they'll wear you out and you'll give up.

Tablet giving you headaches? You definitely bought the wrong one. The ones I get take them away.
Thanks, from:
Janet (01-03-2015), lisarea (12-28-2014), ShottleBop (12-27-2014), SR71 (02-03-2015)
Old 12-27-2014, 04:15 AM
A fellow sophisticate

:shakecune:
Janet (01-03-2015), JoeP (12-27-2014), lisarea (12-28-2014), Pan Narrans (12-27-2014), SR71 (02-03-2015), Watser? (12-28-2014), Zehava (12-28-2014)
Old 12-27-2014, 11:48 PM
puzzler

The 7-inch official touchscreen for the Raspberry Pi should likely be released early in the new year. :whistles:

My Nexus 7 was unusable after the lollipop upgrade, until I wiped it and installed the factory image for lollipop - and then I had to reinstall all my apps and lost all their settings and history. :(

I'm afraid to try rooting it so I put up with the Google crap, though I've noticed that lately I have to agree to more and more intrusion of privacy for the simplest apps: "This free calculator app needs access to your camera, microphone, GPS location, WiFi, contact list..." :wtf:

I seriously thought about taping over the camera and fitting a switch to the microphone in case the damn thing is spying on me whenever I use it - and maybe even when I'm not using it. :para:
Old 12-28-2014, 12:52 AM

OMG yes. That exactly.

I went through and did a cull of some of the more intrusive apps a while back. Some of those permissions are hilarious.

And I don't know if you noticed this one yet, but the Gallery is now Google+. Like they're trying to get you to sign up for G+ just to see your own photos, so I found an alternate app that works more like the old one. I expect to keep finding little turd surprises like that as long as I'm stuck in the Googleverse. I fully expect them to just start loading it up with toolbars or something.

And the main reason I rooted mine was so I'd be able to use external storage rather than having to filter my personal documents through someone else's cloud. So I keep my personal wiki and other stuff on a thumb drive. But you need root to do that, because Google keeps pushing bullshit antifeatures that literally do nothing but remove functionality from your hardware.

The rooting itself was actually super simple, so Google made it more difficult on Lollipop.

Which think about how fucked up that even is! That's the sort of arms race shit you do with viruses and spammers and criminals, not paying customers.

So anyways, I figure I could re-root it and constantly fight with the virus developers at Google, or I could just start over from scratch with Cyanogen and run the minor risk of bricking my tablet. But it's pissing me off enough that I'm willing to risk it. (I want to use the super-easy automated installer, but I need to use Winders for that, so it might take me a couple of days.)

And yep, I was totally thinking of the Raspberry Pi tablet if I do murder my Nexus. I've given up being able to just buy something that actually works the way I want. This has already been more of a pain in the ass than it would have been to just build one. I was willing to put up with some annoyances and intrusions, but they've gone totally overboard with that, and I'm fucking through.
Thanks, from:
ceptimus (12-28-2014), Janet (01-03-2015), JoeP (12-28-2014)
Old 12-28-2014, 02:30 AM
A fellow sophisticate

I swear my Android too-smart-for-its-own-britches-phone is listening to my conversations and what I'm watching on television because when I go to google something about the subject at hand, what I'm looking for is usually the first thing in the queue.
lisarea (12-28-2014), SharonDee (01-01-2015)
Old 12-28-2014, 05:41 AM
I read some of your foolish scree, then just skimmed the rest.

That's how you know your watching current shows all the google searches say so.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:45 AM
Not drowning. Waving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari View Post
That's how you know your watching current shows all the google searches say so.
You can't believe how massively I feel relieved. All these years I thought I was some solitary, perverted freak. Now it turns out that everybody else is also constantly watching Two Girls, One Cup.
Thanks, from:
lisarea (12-28-2014)
Old 02-03-2015, 03:30 AM

HEY JANET!

Never trust a corporation to do a library's job - The Message - Medium

Google's slow fade with librarians - The Message - Medium
Thanks, from:
ceptimus (02-03-2015), Dingfod (02-03-2015), Ensign Steve (02-03-2015), Janet (02-04-2015), JoeP (02-03-2015), livius drusus (02-20-2015), SharonDee (02-03-2015)
Old 02-03-2015, 10:23 AM
Solipsist

The Internet Archive,
Quote:
mostly known for archiving the web, a task the San Francisco-based nonprofit has tirelessly done since 1996, two years before Google was founded
is made to sound pretty cool by this article. And I'm inclined to believe it. Does it just lack public awareness?

Thanks, from:
Janet (02-04-2015), lisarea (02-03-2015), livius drusus (02-20-2015)
Old 02-03-2015, 10:32 AM
Solipsist

More specifically, never trust Google to carry on doing (well) anything it starts.

Thanks, from:
Janet (02-04-2015), SharonDee (02-03-2015)
Old 02-03-2015, 11:14 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

I'm still p mad about Reader.
Thanks, from:
Crumb (02-03-2015), JoeP (02-03-2015)
Old 02-03-2015, 11:22 AM
Solipsist

I'm still a little bit mad about Maps - losing several features from the mobile version (like zoom buttons :brooding: ) and changing the web version.

Thanks, from:
Crumb (02-03-2015), Janet (02-04-2015), SharonDee (02-03-2015)
Old 02-03-2015, 03:07 PM
puzzler

They made Google Earth Pro free recently - it used to cost $399 per year.

So I suppose we can now expect them to forget all about it and move onto something else soon. :shrug:
Old 02-03-2015, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
The Internet Archive,
Quote:
mostly known for archiving the web, a task the San Francisco-based nonprofit has tirelessly done since 1996, two years before Google was founded
is made to sound pretty cool by this article. And I'm inclined to believe it. Does it just lack public awareness?
I dunno. I know about it, and it's really great, but I don't go look for things there a lot of the time just because I'm not thinking about it. A big part of Google's current domination is just that you're already there and they push their services, and Internet Archive doesn't have that constant presence.

Speaking of push, though, just yesterday, I absentmindedly published some photos to Picasa from my photo management software, totally forgetting that they're pushing G+ there again. I can still get to them if I use a different URL or something, but it makes me nervous that they're still trying to trick me into signing up. There are few things that piss me off more than somebody arguing with me after I told them no to something, and it's almost worse when it's an entity that doesn't even have eyeballs for me to punch.
Thanks, from:
Crumb (02-03-2015), Ensign Steve (02-03-2015), Janet (02-04-2015), livius drusus (02-20-2015)
Old 02-03-2015, 04:22 PM
California Sober

Yeah, dude, Internet Archive is the shit. I've been using the Wayback Machine since forever. :unnod:
Janet (02-04-2015), lisarea (02-03-2015), livius drusus (02-20-2015)
Old 02-03-2015, 04:25 PM
Adequately Crumbulent

You could always punch ES in the eyeballs. :unnod:
Ensign Steve (02-03-2015), Janet (02-04-2015), JoeP (02-03-2015), lisarea (02-03-2015)
Old 02-03-2015, 04:27 PM
California Sober

I'm still mad at the :ff:uckers that made me want to play Ingress, because that's what finally got me to quit holding out.
BrotherMan (02-03-2015), Janet (02-04-2015), lisarea (02-03-2015), livius drusus (02-20-2015), SharonDee (02-03-2015), slimshady2357 (02-03-2015), Zehava (02-05-2015)

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Computers & Technology