Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature

Old 05-07-2016, 01:44 AM
Jin, Gi, Rei, Ko, Chi, Shin, Tei

Default Re: Coulson Watches You While You Sleep

So, I just saw Captain America: Civil War. It ... didn't suck. I guess.

I wasn't expecting a lot; otherwise I'd have been rather disappointed.

And let's face it, it was way better than Batman v. Superman.

Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (05-08-2016), Janet (05-10-2016), slimshady2357 (05-07-2016), The Man (04-30-2018)
Old 05-07-2016, 07:56 PM
Captain #EmbraceTheImpossible

Crap, why did I click on that spoiler link while sitting in the theater waiting for the movie to start.

:ohgod:
Old 05-07-2016, 10:43 PM
Captain #EmbraceTheImpossible

Old 05-08-2016, 12:50 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

I loved darn near everything about it. Civil War, unlike the comics they were based on, is thus far the best thing Marvel has put on the screen. And unlike whatever BvS was, Marvel earned this versus match.

NO SPOILERS YET.

A key thing to consider is that what happened (what we saw in the movies), what got reported (in the movie world) and how the people of that world interpreted and reacted to that. A great success that the Russo Bros accomplished here is that philosophically neither side was more correct than the other.

I would have loved it if each individual Avenger was a little less hot headed and so ready to punch their friends - or if not friends exactly, then certainly allies - in the face for what should, at least initially, be a simple disagreement. You know, just like I thought the initiation of the BvS of BvS could have gone way differently. (I mean, really. If Superman doesn't want to fight you, he can p much ignore anything you try to do to him. But then, I'm used to watching an adult. And after 18 months of using his powers he could have easily let Bruce punch at him until Bruce got tired and then could listen to his mouth words.)

But, sigh, comic conventions are comic conventions. Heroes are gonna use their powers first and their brains last.

Putting that in its box, now it's time for me to :gah:

T'Challa, the Black Panther was freaking amazing. I was already excited for his stand alone movie. Now I can't wait. He was p much everything I expected. I really like how subtle it is that they're already insinuating how freaking smart he is. Like, Tony Stark but without the glaring flaws. Though I think he was more impulsive in the beginning, but it was completely understandable why. (An aside: For no reason I always thought Wakanda was a western African nation.)

Also. Additionally? You know how Wonder-Woman stole the BvS? Spider-Man was like that in Civil War. There was literally nothing wrong. Perfect performance by the actor both as Peter and as Spider-Man. My god. Everything he did in his fight scenes was just so :ohgod: it took all of my control not to squee like an babby. I mean, I liked two of the three Toby movies, and though I didn't like the Garfield movies it wasn't because of the actor. So, I'm kinda primed to pre-like Spider-Man, but the Marvel Studios Spider-Man movie should be... uh... Amazing. No pun intended but that's just the perfect word.

Now. What about Hot Aunt May? Yeah, traditionally she's more like Grandma Aunt May. But I reason that she's Peter's [Mom or Dad]'s sister, how much older should she be?

And though I've been on Blackout Protocol (avoiding media, trailers, tweets, posts, reviews and etc), I had no idea the villain of the piece would be who it was. When that person said their name I about passed out with joy.

Shit guys. I don't know if Marvel can make a better movie.
Thanks, from:
Janet (05-10-2016), Kael (05-08-2016), slimshady2357 (05-08-2016), Sock Puppet (05-09-2016), The Lone Ranger (05-08-2016), The Man (05-09-2016)
Old 05-08-2016, 07:46 AM
forever in search of dill pickle doritos

That is an interesting and not atypical response to the movie Bort. I have been amazed by the number of super positive reviews of Civil War. I really thought it was very meh. Not horrible but pretty much just OK. That was also the feeling of all 3 other people I saw it with, though only 1 of them is really a comic book movie junkie like me, the other 2 just get dragged along usually. But even Sou (draggee) loved Avengers Assemble, loved Winter Soldier and just thought this was OK.

Interestingly, every single super-positive review I've seen has made some comparison to Batman Vs Superman. None of us had seen BvS so maybe that had some effect (though TLR had a similar review to me and had seen BvS).

I'm really glad you loved it and the positive reviews make me hopeful a second viewing in the future will be better :)
Old 05-08-2016, 03:17 PM

Overall, I think it was a pretty good movie, but not at the level of The Avengers or CA: The Winter Soldier. My main complaint is that the conflict between Tony and Steve wasn't particularly well set-up, in my opinion, especially since it requires Steve to some notably out-of-character things.

Still, the conflict was done way better than it was in the comics, and without turning Tony into a monster in the process.

I suspect that if (s)he wasn't particularly familiar with the characters, the average person would find this one a breath of fresh air compared to Batman v. Superman. "Finally! A superhero conflict movie that makes at least some effort to provide a plausible explanation for why they're fighting. And that establishes that though they might disagree, they still have a great deal of respect for each other, and so aren't fighting ... just because."

Worth seeing? Yes. Worth seeing a second time? In my opinion ... maybe. Better than Batman v. Superman? Oh, heck yes! Better than the comics version of Civil War? Absolutely. Anywhere close to Marvel's best? Not in my opinion.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (05-08-2016), Janet (05-10-2016), slimshady2357 (05-08-2016), The Man (04-30-2018)
Old 05-08-2016, 04:06 PM
the internet says I'm right

I'm with the Bortman on this one, I loved it. Not perfect, no, and the rest of you are also very smrt in the points you bring up, but for me the biggest thing was I had fun. I want to go see it again.

As an aside, I still find it weird when people in a regular old movie theater in Podunk, America applaud at the end. It's just super weird, you guys. I know it was good, but applause is a gesture of appreciation or respect and nobody who worked on it is there to receive it. It's weird…
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (05-08-2016), Janet (05-10-2016), slimshady2357 (05-08-2016), The Lone Ranger (05-08-2016), The Man (05-09-2016)
Old 05-08-2016, 05:47 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

Oh yeah. I don't disagree with the points raised, people acting out of character and the real buried story is that Tony Stark is to blame for almost all of the problems. While that issue isn't addressed specifically, it can be seen as a prime motivation for Tony. Though he does have an ego the size of Stark Tower (prolly larger, amirite) and can't admit that maybe somebody else may be more right than him, he can still be haunted by the poor choices he's made. Maybe he's admitting he needs to be kept in check. (Though that is just as likely me trying to read something into it that isn't there.)

I did have one big worry before seeing the movie. From just the trailers I was concerned about the airport big multipage fight scene. They were running at each other. How in the world does that make sense when you have Arrow Guy and the Irons Men who can pew pew from far away? While that still didn't make perfect sense, the way the action did happen was mind boggling amazeballs that I didn't care as much as I thought I would.

But also concerning the airport multipager: I loved how they lamp shaded there weren't going to be any collateral loss of life. Though I did chuckle at just how much destruction they did cause. That was a lot of millions of dollars they destroyed.

The thing where [Villain] suggested that the Avengers didn't stick around? It's entirely plausible that's selective memory. It's likely there weren't enough SHIELD personell (remember SHIELD was destroyed by then) to go around, to be seen doing anything. And with only a handful of people being Avengers there, they could have been doing stuff somewhere where he didn't, couldn't or simply wouldn't see. And willfully ignored reports of them helping in the aftermath.

But again that could be me trying to read something that may not actually be there.

So much is done well enough that I am willing to forgive some of the stuff that doesn't pass initial examination.
Thanks, from:
Janet (05-10-2016), slimshady2357 (05-08-2016), The Lone Ranger (05-08-2016), The Man (05-09-2016)
Old 05-08-2016, 07:35 PM

I don't know Aunt May's actual relationship to Peter; I can't recall that the comics have ever explained their actual relationship. I always figured that she was his Great Aunt.
Old 05-08-2016, 08:24 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

According to wiki, classic Aunt May is an aunt-in-law. Ben Parker is Richard's brother. (I didn't know, just looked it up.)
Thanks, from:
Janet (05-10-2016), The Lone Ranger (05-08-2016)
Old 05-09-2016, 05:42 PM
Tellifying

I am surprised by the "meh" reaction of some FF'ers here.

I loved CA:CW. Of all the MCU movies, it is second only to CA:WS, in my book. Definitely a better Avengers movie than either actual Avengers movies.

I'm not going to go so far as to say that it was an important piece of art, but it was so much more than superheroes fighting for fighting's sake. I believe that both Tony and Steve did act very much in character. Their motivations for being on either side of the Accords made sense to me.

To date, Tony's experience has been one where the crises he faced were all engendered by the failing of an individual. From Stane to Vanko to Killian in his own movies and Loki and Ultron (really Tony himself) in the Avengers movies. His experience shows that the individual with great power is what needs to be reined in.

Meanwhile, Steve's experience, especially in CA:WS is that it is the organization that is questionable. That only the individual is capable of resisting a suspect organization.

And what may be seen as out-of-character, I see irony. Tony, the futurist, is reacting to the events of the actions of the past in his agreement with the Accords. Meanwhile, Steve, the man from the past, is looking forward to the future in his disagreement.

I could go on, but I'd only cover the ground that young master Bort has already tread.
Old 05-10-2016, 04:50 AM
Bizarre unknowable space alien

Took my mom to see it today. I really enjoyed it and it hit my fangirl sweet spots. I LOVED the way the shield was used in the opening fight. It was just like the cartoons I grew up with and bypassed my brain & went straight to my heart. I loved Black Panther full stop. The costume, the acting, the moves, the nobility and, let's be frank, the ass.

But the absolute best thing about it to my inner twelve-year-old, was Vision and Wanda falling in love. Because when I read Avengers comics, Vision was the leader and he was married to Wanda. It made me so happy to see them finally get to part of what I think of as the Avengers. I hope they keep going there,
"freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order."
- Justice Robert Jackson, West Virginia State Board of Ed. v. Barnette
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (05-10-2016), Sock Puppet (05-10-2016), The Man (05-10-2016), wei yau (05-11-2016)
Old 05-10-2016, 05:48 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

I gushed about the movie today while at work. One guy said he was going to try and get his girlfriend to go. I described Black Panther as "very pimp, he's going to steal yo girl." And if T'Challa doesn't then certainly Steve Rogers will when she sees him hauling down that helicopter.
Thanks, from:
Janet (05-10-2016), The Man (05-10-2016)
Old 05-10-2016, 09:43 PM
Bizarre unknowable space alien

Steve would have stolen even more hearts if he'd gotten his way.
"freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order."
- Justice Robert Jackson, West Virginia State Board of Ed. v. Barnette
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (05-11-2016), The Man (05-10-2016)
Old 05-13-2016, 04:39 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

:mourn:

Agent Carter, retired.
Thanks, from:
Janet (05-13-2016), Miisa (05-13-2016), slimshady2357 (05-13-2016), The Man (05-13-2016)
Old 05-13-2016, 04:57 PM
NPC

:tear:
BrotherMan (05-13-2016), Janet (05-13-2016), slimshady2357 (05-13-2016), The Man (05-13-2016)
Old 05-16-2016, 04:08 PM
Just keep m'nose clean, egg, chips & beans, I'm always full of steam

Goddammit. I don't hate Agents of SHIELD, but Agent Carter deserves renewal a couple orders of magnitude more than it does.

:sockpuppet:...........
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (05-16-2016), Janet (05-25-2016), slimshady2357 (05-16-2016), The Man (05-16-2016), wei yau (05-16-2016)
Old 05-30-2016, 03:48 AM
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction

X-Men: Apocalypse was... fine.

I was never that into Apocalypse as a villain anyway.

If I'm rating this year's superhero movies...

Civil War > Apocalypse > Deadpool > Batman vs. Superman

Credit stinger spoiler:
Old 05-30-2016, 04:02 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

Seeing you rate it above Deadpool is interesting.
Old 05-30-2016, 07:03 AM
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction

You might not rate it above Deadpool. Based on your review, you liked Deadpool better than I did. I thought it was ok and the humor was... not great.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (05-30-2016)
Old 07-22-2016, 12:53 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

I don't think my body is ready.

Thanks, from:
Janet (07-22-2016), The Man (07-25-2016), Zehava (07-22-2016)
Old 07-24-2016, 02:43 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

The San Diego Comic Convention was this weekend. That means a whole bunch of nerdy stuff is breaking in the news. Up next for Marvel this year is Doctor Strange. My mind was already set to see it simply because it's, you know, a Marvel Studios Marvel Cinematic Universe movie and those have been fairly consistent. I wouldn't call myself a Strange fan or anything. I'm also kind of tired of seeing Benedict Cumberbatch in just about everything. (Not because I think he's bad or anything, just over exposed maybe?) The first trailer looked p good. But now there's this one released at SDCC and I'm kinda hyping up.

Gird yourself, livius, and other Mads Mikkelson fans.
Thanks, from:
Janet (07-26-2016), Megatron (08-08-2016), slimshady2357 (07-24-2016), Sock Puppet (07-25-2016), The Man (07-25-2016), Zehava (07-25-2016)
Old 07-24-2016, 04:15 PM

:omgomg: I am trying to reduce my expectations for this because they are already building to a furore that will be difficult for anything to achieve.

Unlike Bort, I could watch Cumberbatch in every movie and still look forward to the next one. In fact this movie has 3 people I could never tire of seeing: Cumberbatch, Mads and Chiwetel Ejiofor.

Every time something new is released I try to make myself forget about the movie for a couple of months, otherwise I might not make it until November.
Old 07-25-2016, 01:42 AM

Are they going to admit that magic exists in the MCU now? 'Cause I'm not terribly happy about them claiming that the Asgardians are just long-lived aliens with super-advanced (but strangely inconsistent) science.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (07-26-2016), Janet (07-26-2016), The Man (07-25-2016), Zehava (07-25-2016)
Old 07-25-2016, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erimir View Post
X-Men: Apocalypse was... fine.

I was never that into Apocalypse as a villain anyway.

If I'm rating this year's superhero movies...

Civil War > Apocalypse > Deadpool > Batman vs. Superman

Credit stinger spoiler:
I finally saw X-Men Apocalypse and I enjoyed it. I didn't go in with very high expectations but I had fun watching it. I tried not to think too hard about certain bits (like the motivation for helping him of the 4 horsemen) and that helped. Again, that was probably an easier task because I didn't expect much to begin with.

I still haven't seen B. vs S. but I would put my order of enjoyment as Deadpool > Apocalypse > Civil War

Of course, I really need to give Civil War another chance in the quiet of my own home. I'm sure some of the reason I didn't enjoy it was the constant disruption in the cinema. I've never been to a movie with so much distraction; huge numbers of people going in and out (??), someone eating from the noisiest bag of chips ever for about 30 mins straight, and the weirdo 2 seats over who was yelling crazy things through the movie and just talking out loud for a decent portion of it. Hearing the overwhelming positive reviews from people I trust, I have to think it had an affect on my experience.

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature