Old 12-28-2011, 02:36 PM
Man in Black

Default Re: I hate Apple

SEKRIT MESSAGES IN T3H APPLE ICONS!!1!!11!ELEVENTY

Apple icon secrets: hidden meanings hiding in plain sight | Electricpig

:freakout:

Last edited by Pyrrho; 12-28-2011 at 06:18 PM.
Thanks, from:
Adam (01-17-2012), Ensign Steve (12-30-2011), S.Vashti (12-29-2011)
Old 12-29-2011, 05:19 PM
ne'er-do-well

Re: patent trolling -- Is It Time for Apple's Patent War to End? - Businessweek

Steve Jobs never forgave Google for creating Android (edit: technically they acquired Android). One can only hope Apple Inc. will eventually give up the fight now that the guy who was so passionate about it has passed away.
Thanks, from:
Adam (01-17-2012), ceptimus (12-30-2011), lisarea (12-29-2011), Stormlight (12-30-2011)
Old 12-30-2011, 01:50 AM
God Made Me A Skeptic

I pretty much hate Apple as a company, but I can't find a working alternative these days. Yes, I use Linux for some stuff, but for a lot of what I do, it's not a viable alternative, and MS isn't really either.
Save me / and when you see me strut / remind me of what left this outlaw torn
Old 12-30-2011, 03:30 AM
happy now, Mussolini?

If I could reach into my laptop and strangle fucking iTunes I'd do it right now. :shakecode:

Also, this.

Thanks, from:
ceptimus (12-30-2011), Deadlokd (01-21-2012), Goliath (01-07-2012), Stormlight (12-30-2011), viscousmemories (01-07-2012)
Old 12-30-2011, 04:00 AM
God Made Me A Skeptic

Oh, they hugely overprice their upgrades -- but you don't have to buy the upgrades from them, and if you do, it's Own Fault territory.

(Also, the chances are pretty good that the PC was not built with IPS displays.)
Save me / and when you see me strut / remind me of what left this outlaw torn
Old 12-30-2011, 10:51 AM

The upgrades only cost me $35.

Oh you mean RAM?

One thing that is not expensive with Macs.

--J.D.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:09 PM
Servant of the Dark Lord

Since this is the I Hate Apple thread, I thought I would post this gripe here. There are times when iTunes really fucking annoys me. For some reason it seems to lose the album artwork I manually add to my music collection. Why the fuck does the program do this?

Allan Glenn. 1984-2005 RIP
:countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep:
Under no circumstances should Quentin Tarantino be allowed to befoul Star Trek.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:05 AM
Bizarre unknowable space alien

For two days now my Ipad has not allowed me to buy comic books, either through the DC app or through the Comixology website. Eventually I had to log into Comixology on one of work's PCs to buy the comics. They were loading on my Ipad when I had to leave to come out to desk. No way of knowing if they will actually be there when I get off desk.

Damnit! I'm in Swamp Thing withdrawal and I need my comics now!
"freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order."
- Justice Robert Jackson, West Virginia State Board of Ed. v. Barnette
Old 01-19-2012, 07:19 PM
professional left-winger

Normally, I don't hate Mac, but SmartReporter is announcing impending hard drive failure on my newer iMac. I have been super busy lately and so, not been so great with my back-ups. So I'm scrambling. Weather being the suck that it is this week I'm stuck backing up to DVD's.

Oh, and the nearest authorized repair center is in Tacoma (or Seattle, depending on how you define "close"). Neither is convenient, time efficient or cheap to get to. Do I void my warranty if I install a new HD myself?
Old 01-19-2012, 07:38 PM
I read some of your foolish scree, then just skimmed the rest.

Maybe.
Check your model of iMac, apple was/is doing a shadey specialty hard drive connector that forces you to buy from them (as an apple fan, it's a bullshit move). So you might have to get an iMac specific drive.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:41 PM
professional left-winger

Fortunately, the computer is still under Apple Care warranty, but that does not make it any less of a PITA, just a less expensive one.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:13 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

Apple can lay face down in a ditch with unclean underwear because of their doesn't cover anything Apple Care "warranty." I busted the screen on my iBook and eventually found these guys who replaced it good and cheap.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:49 PM
Dissonance is its own reward

My girlfriend has had endless headaches with apple's dogshit warranty service and tech support. She's a die hard fan and she's even ready to swear them off.

Me, on the other hand, I still can't wrap my head around why someone would want to spend about 50-100% more money than the PC equivalent for a computer you're virtually incapable of upgrading.

Mac users get more defensive than a freshly kicked beehive when I mention that.
Goliath (01-30-2012)
Old 01-19-2012, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megatron View Post
Me, on the other hand, I still can't wrap my head around why someone would want to spend about 50% more money than the PC equivalent for a computer you're virtually incapable of upgrading.

Mac users get more defensive than a freshly kicked beehive when I mention that.
Yeah cause it's generally not true.

First it's important to remember the iMac is aimed at consumers that rarely upgrade their computer (and those that do upgrade the RAM and HD the most).

the myth that PC's are soooo much cheaper than macs (Apple's cool tax) has been around for awhile and hasn't really been true since the mid 90's. Sure apple has a higher entry price point but amount of bang per $ is about the same. I haven't looked at the numbers recently but in the past I've crunched the numbers and at least once had Macs come out cheaper than PCs, but generally they were within $100 of each other. When crunching the numbers I often had to add items to the PC that were upgrades but came standard on Mac. In some cases whether or not you fell for the companies money pit (more RAM from apple for example) made the difference.

It really comes down to what you as a user value more in a computer.
Thanks, from:
freemonkey (01-19-2012)
Old 01-19-2012, 10:49 PM

"Did you back up your data," in the days of old necessitated beating the inquirer to death with a garlic press. However, in the new age of HD television and Spray Cheese, a few things:

1. Get an External HD--you can get 1-2 TB for $100ish.
2. Get a Cloning Program: SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner

The later is free--I do not have it but many Gurus recommend it--the former is about $40ish--you do not pay for upgrades. I got it a long time ago. Anyways, the reason you want that is you can make bootable clones. So now, aside from having your data backed up, you could be booted off your External HD sorting things out. So much easier your life will be.

Time Machine has the problem of NOT making bootable clones. It is convenient and apparently fast for recovering things IF your primary drive/volume is fine.

One other advantage is repair. Reads like SMART is telling you that your HD is going to join "the bleedin' Choir Invisible!" In other cases, you may damage your volume--corruptions arise, lose of power, et cetera. You can then boot off your clone, run Disk Utilities and fix things.

As for the rest, I am unaware of any computer company that offers a warrenty that allows you to fix the thing yourself. HP conveniently sends you the packaging materials to UPS your computer to them. You can replace the HD yourself, but if something else goes wrong, you have to sort of put the old one in and pretend you never replaced it.

--J.D.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:03 PM
professional left-winger

I never did get around to buying an external hard drive because I really did get super busy and never finished researching them. I got bogged down in the negative reviews because that's sometimes what I do. Now, I've been forced to stay home yesterday and today, so not so busy... but I can't get out to get an external drive, either.

I'll try to order one tonight if I can make a decision. :( Do you have a recommendation for something robust & reliable, Doctor?

Now, I do happen to have a couple old hard drives in my garage and an external drive case. They are probably 20 to 40 gb each and came from old PC's, and possibly I have one from an old blue & white Mac. Maybe I can reformat & make a copy of essential stuff on one of those.

As for why I use Macs.... I've used both, and this current issue is really the first time I've had real trouble. Why, I have an old Power PC Mac that is at least 12 years old. It's got it's original hard drive (6 or 8 gb) and I use it almost daily.

Second, I can't see buying the expensive software I'm invested in across two platforms. So, Mac it is.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemonkey View Post
I'll try to order one tonight if I can make a decision. :( Do you have a recommendation for something robust & reliable, Doctor?
So do I--see my FIND ME AN ESPRESSO MAKER thrad--but here is what I have. This is not an endorsement. I basically acquired three over time.

External HD 1: is a Galaxy Metal Gear box which houses two SATA HD. One is Maxtor and refuses to die after >4 years. It be merely 250 GB because that was what the Kool Kidz had back then :old:

The other replaced the second 250 GB because . . . it died. It is Hitachi SATA 500 GB. I RAID the two to give 750 GB :awesome: That I do not recommend, because if/when one dies the whole "system" dies. But it was/is an emergency backup.

External HD 2: is a 2 TB SimpleTech SimpleDrive. I got this when I replaced the small one above because it was on sale. It DIED in 6 months! While under warranty, the company makes you go through hoops--fortunately I paid the extra $10 for a store warranty and had it replaced. The new one has been fine, but it can run loud.

External HD 3: is a 2TB Iomega HDD. I see I got that on sale! I acquired THAT when the above died because, with it, died a lot of music and "stuff" which I did back up but is a pain to find. I would recommend this one. Quiet, fast.

Others endorsed the Iomega. You want Firewire. "Mac compatible" merely means it is already formatted for Mac. You can do that yourself with Disk Utility.

I actually partition the 2 TB to a size equal to my MacBook Pro's Internal HD. That I clone every day--takes less than 10 minutes. SD--and CCC I believe--have "Smart Update" capability. This means after you first clone--can take an hour or two--it only updates the changes.

It has saved my ass. One Firefox "update" proved incompatible with about every add-on I had, would not recognize plugins, and I even think started posting naughty things about the Queen under my name on :ff: I simply booted off my clone, cloned back my Internal HD and voila! Fuck you FF! They "updated" about a day after!

I have "done . . . questionable things" started looking for my Disk Warrior and others to fix my HD when . . . hey! This is why I clone! Eight minutes later, voila!

I actually tried out Lion on the new computer. I did not like it. I simply cloned the old "me" to my Internal HD. So I am on Snow Leopard, still have the Lion recovery partition should I ever want to upgrade, and the acne infested tech at the Mac Store was all, "is that even POSSIBLE?"

Quote:
Now, I do happen to have a couple old hard drives in my garage and an external drive case. They are probably 20 to 40 gb each and came from old PC's, and possibly I have one from an old blue & white Mac. Maybe I can reformat & make a copy of essential stuff on one of those.
You definitely can. Coping all of "you" can be difficult since "you" may be bigger than 20-40 GB. You can try "RAID" them all together but I have no idea how to do that.

--J.D.
Thanks, from:
freemonkey (01-20-2012)
Old 01-20-2012, 12:52 AM
A Warrior for Positronic Freedom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor X View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemonkey View Post
So do I--see my FIND ME AN ESPRESSO MAKER thrad--but here is what I have. This is not an endorsement. I basically acquired three over time.

External HD 1: is a Galaxy Metal Gear box which houses two SATA HD. One is Maxtor and refuses to die after >4 years. It be merely 250 GB because that was what the Kool Kidz had back then :old:

The other replaced the second 250 GB because . . . it died. It is Hitachi SATA 500 GB. I RAID the two to give 750 GB :awesome: That I do not recommend, because if/when one dies the whole "system" dies. But it was/is an emergency backup.

External HD 2: is a 2 TB SimpleTech SimpleDrive. I got this when I replaced the small one above because it was on sale. It DIED in 6 months! While under warranty, the company makes you go through hoops--fortunately I paid the extra $10 for a store warranty and had it replaced. The new one has been fine, but it can run loud.

External HD 3: is a 2TB Iomega HDD. I see I got that on sale! I acquired THAT when the above died because, with it, died a lot of music and "stuff" which I did back up but is a pain to find. I would recommend this one. Quiet, fast.

Others endorsed the Iomega. You want Firewire. "Mac compatible" merely means it is already formatted for Mac. You can do that yourself with Disk Utility.

I actually partition the 2 TB to a size equal to my MacBook Pro's Internal HD. That I clone every day--takes less than 10 minutes. SD--and CCC I believe--have "Smart Update" capability. This means after you first clone--can take an hour or two--it only updates the changes.

It has saved my ass. One Firefox "update" proved incompatible with about every add-on I had, would not recognize plugins, and I even think started posting naughty things about the Queen under my name on :ff: I simply booted off my clone, cloned back my Internal HD and voila! Fuck you FF! They "updated" about a day after!

I have "done . . . questionable things" started looking for my Disk Warrior and others to fix my HD when . . . hey! This is why I clone! Eight minutes later, voila!

I actually tried out Lion on the new computer. I did not like it. I simply cloned the old "me" to my Internal HD. So I am on Snow Leopard, still have the Lion recovery partition should I ever want to upgrade, and the acne infested tech at the Mac Store was all, "is that even POSSIBLE?"

Quote:
You definitely can. Coping all of "you" can be difficult since "you" may be bigger than 20-40 GB. You can try "RAID" them all together but I have no idea how to do that.

--J.D.
Agreed on all points. I especially like my Iomega HDD
"Knowledge is indivisible. When people grow wise in one direction, they are sure to make it easier for themselves to grow wise in other directions as well. On the other hand, when they split up knowledge, concentrate on their own field, and scorn and ignore other fields, they grow less wise — even in their own field." - Isaac Asimov
Old 01-20-2012, 01:27 AM
professional left-winger

Quote:

Others endorsed the Iomega.
The Iomega was one I was considering, just not one quite so big.

Quote:

--J.D.[/QUOTE]

I have a 1T HD in this computer, but I have used maybe 1/10th of that, because prior to about 6 months ago I was really good at keeping things clean and orderly.

My plan is this: Step 1) get everything that is photos, music and documents (especially other people's stuff) onto DVD disk... mostly accomplished.

Step 2) sign up for free cloud storage in a bunch of places and upload very important files. Partially accomplished.

Step 3) clone a copy of what's left and hope it fits on one of the old drives I have. And hope that one or more of those is still good.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:53 AM

Well, it comes in a smaller size for a bit less money. You might be able to get it "local" at an electronics store for less. Be that as it may, more is always better. Reason: if you have a 2 TB you can divide it in two, put ALL your music in lossless form on one partition, all of the DVDs you rip--that highly illegal but "artistic" French dust-bunny porn--and leave the other half for cloning your drive. A drive is happy up to 10% full--most leave about 20-25% free to allow "things" to get moved about without difficulty.

Removing all of your bare data--movies, music, pictures--leaving your software and settings--how "big" are you? If you can clone THAT, that will make your life so much easier since when you get your new HD, you can simply clone that back. Or you can reload the latest OS you have and it will ask you if you want to transfer an account with Migration Assistant. Personally, I find cloning both easier and more likely to save settings. Certain programs make it difficult to direct transfer "stuff" to prevent piracy. If you do not want to have to reload software, repunch in serial numbers, and then figure out what your favorite settings are, a good clone takes care of that.

Also, the more you FUCK with your drive the sooner it might fail. So you really should back up and go in one if you can. I know that is not ideal.

However, oversubordination, ONCE you have saved your irreplaceable data, so long as you have your software files and your Snow Leopard disk, you are safe in that you can load a working system and software manually.

--J.D.
Old 01-20-2012, 03:39 AM

Hard drives are so cheap these days I generally buy them in pairs and use one to backup the other. There are only three HD manufactures left, Western Digital, Seagate and someone else. I have mostly Seagate with a couple western Digitals, all have served me well.

While SMART is nice to have, it's also just a guestimater you might have more or less time with that HD than you think. Since most problems are mechanical the more it gets used the closer it gets to dying, so I wouldn't do much on it till important things are backed up.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:39 PM
ne'er-do-well

Quote:
External HD 3: is a 2TB Iomega HDD.
Wow, Iomega is still around! I thought they died with the Zip Drive (which was, in its day, the cat's whiskers).

Edit: Woo hoo! 1,000 posts! I'm an "M"!
Thanks, from:
ceptimus (01-20-2012)
Old 01-20-2012, 02:18 PM

There is a "Mom" joke in there . . I just . . . know it!

And you have been HERE two year longer than moi :awesome:

Which is a :cryhome: when I think about it. . . .

Actually, I thought the same thing! I have my Iomega zip drive holding down books I have not looked at for years :blush: When I "discovered" the HD, I quickly used Al Gore's Greatest Invention to Mankind Not Called Global Warming to contact some MacGurus to confirm it was not a piece of excrement.

Runs fast, no glitches. In fact I just cloned with it before updating a FF plugin to make sure it would not utterly destroy the rest of them--like one did two versions of FF ago--8.1 :brooding:

--J.D.
Old 01-20-2012, 03:23 PM
Forum Killer

I've spent the last few days trying to get my boss' ipad to print to a network printer. Airprint is apple-speak for "not your printer, asshole". There is no fix for this, though it is fueling a market for dozens of cheap, cheesy addons promising to fix the gaping void that is the ipad's print functionality. Unfortunately they're all workarounds -- forward things to a real computer via email then print, load your documents in a special printer-capable app which only understands certain kinds of docs(hint: not yours), connect to a special ipad printing server via a helper app installed on an office computer and load your documents in the special printer-capable app which doesn't understand your documents, etc, etc. Only Apple itself can fix the print button itself, and they obviously don't want to; last time they changed it, they took away most of the functionality people are still screaming for.

I had high hopes for "activate airprint for windows", which in theory will share windows printers by broadcasting them over airprint protocol. In practice it sits there and does nothing even in Windows XP with the firewall off as administrator with all printers shared.

We set up our own personal pdf-print-through-email service and that works well enough for the present.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:48 PM
professional left-winger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waluigi View Post
Quote:
External HD 3: is a 2TB Iomega HDD.
Wow, Iomega is still around! I thought they died with the Zip Drive (which was, in its day, the cat's whiskers).
Guess what?! I still use Zip disks to transfer files from the newer computers to the old Power PC which has SCSI ports but no usb. I hoard my Zip disks and and I cried with joy when I found a new in box SCSI Zip Drive at a garage sale for $10 a couple years ago.

I could probably put a USB card in that thing but I'm afraid to mess with it.

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Computers & Technology